As Expected

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
As I expected Dansby, like before, is all about the money. He could hardly have gone to a less competitive team. I don't think the Cards
are confident about Minter so this will be interesting.

SunDevil

Reaction score
Let's not forget that we still want Dansby to do well in Cleveland. The better he does, the higher the compensation pick attached to losing him (assuming we lose more FAs than we sign).

With all the 1-year deals we gave out last year, we could (finally) be in line for some decent compensation picks come 2015.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I expected Dansby, like before, is all about the money. He could hardly have gone to a less competitive team. I don't think the Cards

This is one of those "I hate it but you are right" moments.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the fact he was playing behind Dansby and Washington, I think the coaching staff would have found a way for Minter to get more playing time. I, too, am suspect about him.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

Me neither. I wasn't thrilled about the pick and I said as much on draft day last year. Good instincts, just looks slow to me. At best I think he's a two down guy.

Hope I'm wrong.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think....

Based on what?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing what has already been said. The coaches couldn't find a way to get him on the field last year. Talent finds it's way on. See Tyrann Mathieu.

Where would you put a thumping MLB other than MLB?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing what has already been said. The coaches couldn't find a way to get him on the field last year. Talent finds it's way on. See Tyrann Mathieu.

There is talent and then having to play behind Los and Dwash.

One would be hard pressed to find more than a very few who could take snaps away from them.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not going to borrow trouble about Minter , the way KD played last season , just how many LB's in the entire NFL could have pushed him to the bench? I understand why the rookie rode the pines last season.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Which player would you've taken off the field to get Minter on the field: Dansby or Washington?

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
If I'm 32, and I had a low "one year prove it to me" contract like he did, and I was offered this much, I would bolt too. Who knows how many more years he has left. Would you stay at your job for your current salary or bolt to a job that might not be as successful, but are willing to pay you significantly more?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Spot on. I am elated for when the "Dansby defenders" retroctively rip apart Kiem when its plain as day he got 10 million more then any sane FO would have given him.

Good for Los. And I mean that. You can't fault guys for getting what they can if that and only that is the priority. This just happens to be one of the most extreme examples of C.R.E.A.M i have seen in a bit. But dont pretend to be anything but the money chasing mercenary You are KD. Maybe he would have made a Pro Bowl or the HOF he chases if his heart equated to half of his ability. Enjoy anonimity and 2 win seasons bruh. See ya!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Which player would you've taken off the field to get Minter on the field: Dansby or Washington?

Neither of course. My point is simply that Minter isn't as good as either one of them, so I think it's irresponsible (if that's the right word) to have a "Well, now it's Minter time" mindset.

I don't think Minter can replace Dansby, which is what I'm guessing the OP was stating when he said he doesn't think the Cards have alot of faith in him.

If Minter had the talent and ability, he would have found playing time last year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Jasper Brinckley.

He is a established vet whom had just signed for a mid market sized FA deal (prior to the draft)and barely played the last 12 games as it was. Minter was on affordable 2nd rounder deal and will be around for many years. And Brinkley only got run the first 4 games. I would agree with you had Brinkley been starting all season and continued to be his sucky self but the first 4 games?

Who else ya got?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good luck in Brown town Los. Crazy ownership and very suspect FO. So instead of playing on a team with a legit chance to make the playoffs go to a team that can't spell playoffs.

What the Cards offered on a two year contract is more than enough money to take care of my family for generations and that's not even counting the tens of millions you made previously form the Cards and Dolphins.

I wouldn't be as upset if you hadn't spewed all that I love the Cards and I want to be here and ...........BS.

Hope the Browns keep being the Browns and you can enjoy the extra long off seasons since you won't be in the playoffs. Maybe you can use the extra coin to go on longer vacations.

Good luck and I do hope you continue your high level of play, sad thing is it won't matter because you are now a BROWN.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Neither of course. My point is simply that Minter isn't as good as either one of them, so I think it's irresponsible (if that's the right word) to have a "Well, now it's Minter time" mindset.

I don't think Minter can replace Dansby, which is what I'm guessing the OP was stating when he said he doesn't think the Cards have alot of faith in him.

If Minter had the talent and ability, he would have found playing time last year.

I agree with we have no idea what to expect in Minter but not the reasoning of "why didnt he get on the field then?" as a reason to be pessimisstic 1) he is a MLB, typically a guy who calls the shots for the defense and very few start out of the gate for that reason 2) Los and Wash played an unusually high amount of snaps for a MLB with freshly signed Brinkley getting any of the leftovers.

Now why would the Cardinals try and resign this offseason or even sign him last offseason if Minter was blowing up? Now THAT maybe an argument for why we perceive the FO not have much faith.

But actually I have heard the opposite. There is a reason Kiems first answer is
"Thats why you draft Minter" and not more like the typical BA whats behind door Number 2 line. And I have also heard coaches like his tenacity and willingness to stick his nose in there.

Would I be surprised if they sign a FA or draft a ILB? No in fact I encourage it. Minter is an unknown on a defense with very few of them.

But we dont know what his transition in Year 2 will be bad or good. There is not enough tape or comments good or bad since being drafted to even make an educated guess.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agree, the Mathieu comparison has no wings, our talent level at in the secondary is light years behind that of our LB'ers.

I agree though, that we dont know what to expect from him. Hopefully he learned a lot last year, hopefully Dwash wont face any dicipline this offseason and hopefully it will all work out.

Hope, we're Cardinal fans, it's what we do right? :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He is a established vet whom had just signed for a mid market sized FA deal (prior to the draft)and barely played the last 12 games as it was. Minter was on affordable 2nd rounder deal and will be around for many years. And Brinkley only got run the first 4 games. I would agree with you had Brinkley been starting all season and continued to be his sucky self but the first 4 games?

Who else ya got?

Glad to see you agree with me. Brinkley was bad enough to be cut after only one year of a two year deal and Minter couldn't take snaps away from him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to see you agree with me. Brinkley was bad enough to be cut after only one year of a two year deal and Minter couldn't take snaps away from him.

So this made me think, not easily done. ;)

SK doesn't know he can get Los signed and in fact probably knew it was a long shot and still cut Brinkley. We could see this as SK blew it when the signed him or maybe it means they do have faith in Minter so they didn't feel the need to hang onto Brinkley.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Los will never see years 3 and 4 of that contract... He will earn 2 million more than cards offer. 2 million is still a crap load of money, but Cards are significantly closer to a SuperBowl than the mud dogs...

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; it's a business. I was just indicating as I said at season's end that Dansby would go where the money was and there was no way the Cards could afford to keep him. Regarding Minter, you can always find snaps to groom a guy if you know the current guy filling that spot is likely to leave! Getting a blow here and there makes sense. BTW the Cards will sign more than they lose, so no likely compensation will come.