Atlanta Draft Pick Watch

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Nice - a put-down and a compliment in the same post:)

The real irony is that I've been a fan of the POS/no-hope Hawks and the POS/no-hope AZ Cardinals since growing up in St. Louis during the 60's. And, even though I've suffered through this fan curse, I am, and always will be, a loyal die-hard for both teams.

However, there is hope as both seem to have a bright future.

If I had a dime for everytime I heard this about either of these organizations.....

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
[quoteToo bad atlanta sat healthy players at the end of last season, and called them injured just so they could have a better chance of keeping that pick...Where are you at Karma?

You guys keep saying that we tanked without looking at the facts...[/QUOTE]

What facts are we leaving out?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

What facts are we leaving out?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, what facts are we leaving out?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I thought even ESPN reported they were benching starters and accused them of tanking. I thought they put atlanta in the same category as memphis and even boston with tanking accusations.

AtlHawksFan

Rookie
Reaction score
[/quote]Seriously, what facts are we leaving out?[/quote]

Our record after the injuries was almost identical to that before the injuries. JJ had a strained calf from logging too many minutes and Josh Childress suffered a stress fracture in his foot.

Actually, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith and Shelden Williams raised their games and the team as a whole played hard every night even though 2 of the top six were out.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Seriously, what facts are we leaving out?[/quote]

Our record after the injuries was almost identical to that before the injuries. JJ had a strained calf from logging too many minutes and Josh Childress suffered a stress fracture in his foot.

Actually, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith and Shelden Williams raised their games and the team as a whole played hard every night even though 2 of the top six were out.[/quote]

I remember that there was a running announcement of the draft(ping pong ball) order every day and then teams started to hold out starters and take losses. The problem is that as the positions juggled and some teams started to slide in the seeding, those same teams sat down players with "injuries". I believe JJ sat down with his "strained calf" after michael redd sat down for the year with an equally suspect injury. Hey, hawks fans deserve a break, but that doesnt make everything on the up and up. The NBA(Stern) warned teams as well about tanking as it hurts the leage image. David stern does not say these things prematurely, he's usually late to the trigger. The lottery exists, partly because of tanking. The Hawks got their pick with some auspicious circumstances, but so did some of the others. Dont worry at least the most micromanaged(as in officiating) sport on the planet doesnt have a referee problem!

AtlHawksFan

Rookie
Reaction score
[/quote]
I believe JJ sat down with his "strained calf" after michael redd sat down for the year with an equally suspect injury. [/quote]

JJ was really injured as he didn't fully recover from the strain until after the preseason. I guess it'sa moot point as we got the pick - even if it was a tank. Also, as we know now...tanking doesn't always work...

I do appreciate you guys not flaming on me as I'm not here for anything other than to support my Hawks...and not to convey any negativity towards the Suns - who I really enjoy watching. I'm not a big Amare fan but Nash is awesome.

Also, I may be the only Diaw fan left in ATL...I'm really sorry to see him struggle..

nowagimp

Reaction score
I believe JJ sat down with his "strained calf" after michael redd sat down for the year with an equally suspect injury. [/quote]

JJ was really injured as he didn't fully recover from the strain until after the preseason. I guess it'sa moot point as we got the pick - even if it was a tank. Also, as we know now...tanking doesn't always work...

I do appreciate you guys not flaming on me as I'm not here for anything other than to support my Hawks...and not to convey any negativity towards the Suns - who I really enjoy watching. I'm not a big Amare fan but Nash is awesome.

Also, I may be the only Diaw fan left in ATL...I'm really sorry to see him struggle..[/quote]

Hang in there, the hawks will improve and be an entertaining team over the next decade, finally. Its a pity the hawks management didnt have the vision to draft Deron Williams or Chris Paul(instead of marvin williams) when they had the chance. If they had done that, they'd have all the pieces now to build a serious contender.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Let's not give up on this thread, because at this point it seems like the Hawks remembered they are still the Hawks.

It's a long season.

AtlHawksFan

Rookie
Reaction score
Let's not give up on this thread, because at this point it seems like the Hawks remembered they are still the Hawks.

It's a long season.

I agree. Bottom line is that Phoenix has the pick no matter what happens but from a Hawks fan perspective we'd like to feel that we came out on top of the trade. I think it's the same for you guys but I believe it's more about getting a nice piece for your team.

Honestly, I don't really care what happens to the pick - I just want to see my team do well.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I agree. Bottom line is that Phoenix has the pick no matter what happens but from a Hawks fan perspective we'd like to feel that we came out on top of the trade. I think it's the same for you guys but I believe it's more about getting a nice piece for your team.

Honestly, I don't really care what happens to the pick - I just want to see my team do well.

And we want to see your team do badly... no offense, that's just what happens when you own the rights to another team's draft pick.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
...and when our front office gets it pants taken down in a trade even though your front office is one of the most inept in the biz.

We need this to be lottery to save face if anything. We have nothign to show for trading away JJ so far except for a underperforming frenchman, cash, and a now-midrange pick that we had boosted from us in the summer

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
someone needs to change the front sticky to 15-16 since the nba ruled that the last 51 seconds of the heat game need to be replayed and that "w" shouldn't be in the record until that time. GO HEAT!!!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
...and when our front office gets it pants taken down in a trade even though your front office is one of the most inept in the biz.

We need this to be lottery to save face if anything. We have nothign to show for trading away JJ so far except for a underperforming frenchman, cash, and a now-midrange pick that we had boosted from us in the summer

I don't understand how you can say that the Suns got screwed on the trade. It wasn't a real trade, they were going to lose him anyway. It's not like they thought that the pick + Diaw = JJ.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
someone needs to change the front sticky to 15-16 since the nba ruled that the last 51 seconds of the heat game need to be replayed and that "w" shouldn't be in the record until that time. GO HEAT!!!

I'm not so sure the replay will even happen (or at least that the Heat will be trying). ATL was up three with 51 seconds left, presumably with possession as Shaq fouled out, so Miami does not have a huge shot. In addition, the Heat will likely be battling for lottery balls (where Atl SHOULD be) so they may welcome a loss.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't understand how you can say that the Suns got screwed on the trade. It wasn't a real trade, they were going to lose him anyway. It's not like they thought that the pick + Diaw = JJ.

The Suns could have matched the offer from the Hawks. It just would not have made a whole lot of sense to go over the cap to retain an unhappy player. That said, Marion is unhappy somewhat and he has been great this season.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Ya know, as much as Atlanta may suck this year, we will have no chance at landing a decent pick because of how horrible the REST of the east coast is. Its mind boggling.

Example:

Atlanta, currently fighting for 7th place in the East with a record of 18-24, along with the Nets with 19-26
HOW DO YOU GET IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH A LOSING RECORD?!

Current battle for 8th place in the West:
Denver 27-18
Portland 26-19
Golden State 28-19

Sort of gross if you think about it long enough.

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, as much as Atlanta may suck this year, we will have no chance at landing a decent pick because of how horrible the REST of the east coast is. Its mind boggling.

Example:

Atlanta, currently fighting for 7th place in the East with a record of 18-24, along with the Nets with 19-26
HOW DO YOU GET IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH A LOSING RECORD?!

Current battle for 8th place in the West:
Denver 27-18
Portland 26-19
Golden State 28-19

Sort of gross if you think about it long enough.

Well, actually, a bad thing turns into a good thing if they somehow manage to miss the playoffs. With how badly they're playing, it could happen. New Jersey could surpass them, especially if Kidd isn't traded until the deadline (I think he'd try to make the best out of a bad situation and try to lead NJ to the playoffs, at least), and you have a bunch of teams with similar records (Charlotte, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Indiana and Chicago) that could get hot at some point.

If Atlanta misses the playoffs, they'd certainly have a worse record than at least two lottery teams in the West (and most likely three, since Sacramento is playing reasonably well), so, in this case, the worst-case scenario would be the 12th worst record among lottery teams, and the best-case scenario would probably be around the 8th worst record. A #8-12 pick wouldn't be bad, in my opinion.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Seriously, what facts are we leaving out?[/quote]

Our record after the injuries was almost identical to that before the injuries.[/QUOTE]

If by almost identical, you mean worse, then yes I see your point.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Im hoping we dont have to worry about the Atlanta pick anymore after Shaq passes his physical today. My hopes are that we talked Miami into trading picks this summer. That way we are guaranteed a lottery pick, A HIGH lottery pick this year to grab either Beasley or one of the stud PG's to back-up Nash.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree.. but look at the next 15 games for the Hawks...My guess is they will go 3-12, and that should out them right into the bottom 3-4 in the east... I still say we will end up with between the 7-11 picks... but HOPEFULLY we got Miami's pick...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05