Atlanta Draft Pick Watch

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
The Hawks fired their head coach today. Hopefully they don't have one of those new coach honeymoon surges.

I like how the Hawks coach wanted to draft Paul or Deron Williams. The GM drafted Marvin Williams. Today they fired the coach but the GM is still there.

I always wondered if there had been some disconnect there. You know:

GM: Good news! We drafted Williams!

Coach: Hey, that's WONDERFUL! Williams is a good kid with a strong work ethic, I really think he'll turn this franchise around. You know, that's just a great, great pick. Phew! That's a load off my mind. I really thought you guys were going to select somebody worthless. Now, I feel really good about where this franchise is headed. I mean, we really couldn't ask for more in a point guard.

GM: Point guard? No no, you must be thinking of somebody else. We drafted Marvin Williams! Isn't that exciting?

Coach: ...

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty sure they didn't fire Cleveland.

Ah, either the announcers in the game I was watching at the time were wrong or I misheard them. The GM _tried_ to fire the coach, but ownership blocked him. Looks like Knight was looking for a scapegoat and ownership called him on it.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/02/29/woodson_0301.html

BTW, ATL was close with GS today and then GS started hitting almost everything in the second half.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
ATL only 2 games from making the playoffs? WTF? We need Joe Johnson to get "back spasms" for a couple games.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another day, Another loss for the hawks... keep it up!

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
i'm ignorant in college basketball, gotta ask though...

will tyler hansbrough be in the draft (or does he even intend to play pro ball)?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

will tyler hansbrough be in the draft (or does he even intend to play pro ball)?

He should go mid to late first round. By the way, last offseason I made a joke that the Suns would end up with Tyler this year if they did not get the ATL pick (which they, indeed, did not end up getting). If I end up being correct, I will cry.

Last edited:

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
Today is a big day for the ATLANTA PICK WATCH

Hawks play -2- games today vs the Miami Heat. A replay of the final 50 seconds and then their regularly scheduled game.

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Well Atlanta won the first game of two.

Marcus Banks has been playing well for Miami. Has had 2 straight 20pt+ games. Interesting to see how he goes for the rest of the season.

KCi

Reaction score
haha go Hawks.. miami needs the lotto balls more than the Suns. I think Atl is tied for the 8th seed if they get two W's tonight.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
He should go mid to late first round. By the way, last offseason I made a joke that the Suns would end up with Tyler this year if they did not get the ATL pick (which they, indeed, did not end up getting). If I end up being correct, I will cry.

hmm, i see. so mid first round onwards? (actually i didn't see his name on the mock draft that i saw yesterday so i wasn't sure he was entering the draft). is he that bad? i saw a game of nc once on tv, he wasn't half bad and he works hard...

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hmm, i see. so mid first round onwards? (actually i didn't see his name on the mock draft that i saw yesterday so i wasn't sure he was entering the draft). is he that bad? i saw a game of nc once on tv, he wasn't half bad and he works hard...

He's listed at 20 on draftexpress.com/ but he's not on nbadraft.net for some reason.

He's a good college player but relies a lot on strength and fundamentals as far as I can tell, so his game will probably not translate well to the NBA. He can probably be a good bench player. Maybe like a Mark Madsen with post skills. I don't watch a whole lot of college basketball myself.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

i think he will go back to college. its not like he needs the money like some guys. they said during todays game that his dad is an orthopedic surgeon. cha ching.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Hansbrough is averaging 23.3 points per game and 10.4 rebounds. He is also a very good free throw shooter shoots about 81%.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Damn NJ losing 5 in a row to let the Hawks back into the playoffs. I wish they'd order the lottery based on overall team records and not whether you get in the playoffs or not. The Hawks pick should be in the lottery even if they make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with that. It's ridiculous that right now Denver would get a higher pick than Atlanta or Philly. It's just going to keep the West more dominant.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man east sucks lol hawks are 10 games under and they are in the playoffs are you jking me.... Well hopefully they lose like 5 in a row coming up soon

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
man east sucks lol hawks are 10 games under and they are in the playoffs are you jking me.... Well hopefully they lose like 5 in a row coming up soon
If the NBA would start considering dropping the East VS West playoff format then we wouldn't have these problems. Take the top 16 teams record-wise and change the regular season format so that you play every team 3x (would have to play 5 teams 2x to keep 82 total games), instead of the Suns playing West teams 4x and East teams 2x. Then you take the top 16 records and make the bracket like the NCAA where #1 plays #16 and #2 plays #15 and so on. Atlanta is 19th out of 30 teams record-wise in the league right now and that's with playing Eastern teams more often.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate how the year we get their pick for sure, they might actually make the playoffs. Its Suns luck.
It's the same thing that happened when we traded the 7th pick to Chicago (when they got Luol Deng) and we ended up with the #21 pick back from them.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Hawks just gave the Rockets their 20th straight win. "Smoove" had 18 boards at some point in the 3rd quarter! The Rockets only shot 30% through most of the game and still won.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05