Bears Current Posture

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remotely think that either front office is sold on Kyler or Fields being the "QBOTF", but the contract situations are as far apart as imaginable.

The Bears are faced with picking up Fields 5th year option or extending him, neither are appealing given his career thus far. If they are not sold on Fields they can easily cut bait at virtually no cost at all.

Meanwhile, dumping Kyler this off season basically dooms us to a 2nd straight year of sitting out free agency or any new significant contract commitments.

The Bears have a lot of options, especially with the #1 pick in hand... we don't. We can ride out another season of Kyler and hope he returns to his form from 2 years ago, or doom some poor rookie or low cost, vet player to play with a bare bones offense because we used all our cap space to eat Kyler's contract.

I'm not sold on Kyler as the long term guy at all, but I think the realities of our situation basically locks him in for one more season. If we had the #1 pick and if some college QB looked like a can't miss superstar, it probably would have changed that dynamic... but that didn't happen.
This.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the goal of having the #2 pick was always to be in a position to trade out. Oddly, I think having the 3rd or even fourth pick in the draft makes us more likely to take MHJ than less.
I completely agree.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate to root to lose, but I would love to see Kyler and the offense play like they did Sunday but the defense blows it at the end.
This defense has few strong points. With little to no pass rush the CBs we have on the field will be eaten alive by the SeaChic’s receivers.

I don’t see how we can claim a win.

The disclaimer on this opinion is, this is the same thought I had on the last game:)

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I hate to root to lose, but I would love to see Kyler and the offense play like they did Sunday but the defense blows it at the end.
I suspect Carroll will try to stop Conner at all cost and run the ball down our throat. No blowout unless Kyler has one of his turnover games.

Still hoping for a GB win over Da Bears along with Jaguar, Colts, and Broncos wins. Go Pats!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect Carroll will try to stop Conner at all cost and run the ball down our throat. No blowout unless Kyler has one of his turnover games.

Still hoping for a GB win over Da Bears along with Jaguar, Colts, and Broncos wins. Go Pats!
That means play action should work… if we had some receivers. Lol!

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
While Fields still has some front office support, the ease with which the Pack shut him down emboldened his critics. It now seems likely one of 3 things happens. Taking Williams is the most likely scenario. Trading down with Washington and taking Maye if they get a 2025 first and a 2024 second. Finally they could chance dropping down to 8 for 2 number ones, 2025, 2026 and using their new 2024 pick on Penix and their own pick on the best receiver, especially if Odunze is there.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in Chicago I can tell you this. This week is the Bears Super Bowl. If they beat the Packers knocking them out of the playoffs this city will be giddy.
It would also mean the Bears went 5-2 over the last 7 games. Very much like the Lions next year. Eight weeks ago this same city was screaming for everyone to get fired. Today, not so much.
Their defense seems real. They will trade their pick and they will not take a Qb.
On my street in Chicago, the Bears should not pass on another QB this year like they did when they passed on Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and CJ Stroud. Fields has been in a terrible situation and had shown flashes. But he has also had some seriously mediocre to bad games in between those flashes. Congrats on beating Detroit, but the rest of the wins were against garbage teams. Time to draft a new QB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's only one Bears scenario that is detrimental to us and that's if they trade with the Patriots and move back to 3. Then they might take MHJ.

Anything else involves a QB going.