Bears Current Posture

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I said a "flyer on Becton". I know he had a rough year but there is talent there. Signing him on the cheap means maybe you go RT in round 2 or 3 and have a camp battle.

Jonah Williams back at LT will be where he wants to be. He is the mid option who can be had at a decent price.

Tyron Smith will be available. LT and old but great and will get paid.

Onwenu is getting paid for sure because he is young, versatile, and decent. I would invest here and build d and wr in the draft.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yeah he is going to get a 1 or 2 year prove it deal. Super cheap.

Really cheap.

I liked him a lot coming out of college but he has been a combination of brutal on the field and oft injured (basically missed 2 entire years out of the 4 he has been in the league).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
On the tackle side there are a few options.

Onwenu immediately jumps out at me. He can play tackle or guard, which is important if you remotely believe DJ will come back this year or next. Everything says he won't be back to the Patriots and he is young.

I also love Jonah Williams though he will want to be a LT and that is fine.

Even a flyer on Mekhi Beckton is a good pre draft option that limits the need to take a tackle.

If we sign no one we are 100% taking a tackle round 1.
So your "good options" are a guy who has been relatively disastrous on one of the NFL's worst offensive liens (Becton), two of the top free agents in the market likely to make $17 million per year or more?

Okay.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure the team will be taking flyers on guys like Becton.

They brought in Froholdt because they knew what he was. It wasn't a flyer, Petzing knew him well. And while they brought in some guys like Daley that were long shots it was a knows dead season and was worth it.

I think Monti and Gannon expect to have a winning season next year. I don't they are going to take risks on guys like Becton who has been bad/injured a lot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
One domini that has to fall....where does Russell Wilson end up if the Broncos do cut him?

I think Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Washington would be the team's he would be likely to go to. Titans are a possibility too.

It would wreck the draft if he goes to Washington.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your "good options" are a guy who has been relatively disastrous on one of the NFL's worst offensive liens (Becton), two of the top free agents in the market likely to make $17 million per year or more?

Okay.

Or they are drafting a tackle round 1. That's the reality

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One domini that has to fall....where does Russell Wilson end up if the Broncos do cut him?

I think Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Washington would be the team's he would be likely to go to. Titans are a possibility too.

It would wreck the draft if he goes to Washington.
Makes no sense for Washington to sign him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or they are drafting a tackle round 1. That's the reality
Agreed. I just don't think any of those options are very palatable.

I think there's a fair chance the Cards shift PJJ to left tackle and expect the winner of a competition between Denis Daley, Kelvin Beachum, and a 3rd round pick to emerge.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same. Credit to @BritCard for nailing this one early.

Excited for Fro. Still only 27. Another year in the system will only see him get better. I think if we can upgrade at LG that will make a huge difference too. One of the biggest pluses of this season.

They should extend him, I don't like to see confirmed starters putting their bodies on the line for $2.3m a year. That was ok when he was a risk.

Give him the same money as Hernandez and tack on 2 more years to his deal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. I just don't think any of those options are very palatable.

I think there's a fair chance the Cards shift PJJ to left tackle and expect the winner of a competition between Denis Daley, Kelvin Beachum, and a 3rd round pick to emerge.

That would have been the Keim way. I'm not sure if that's how they will play it, although I'd be fine with Beachum there as he's proven solid.

I just get the feeling from the attitude and words of Gannon he expects a major step up next year and I assume that comes from conversations with Monti. I don't think sticking plasters at tackle fit that goal.

I think they cut Hump and get $9m back (and an additional $22m in 2025) and sign a vet or draft someone high.

The biggest hurdle for them I think is the usual conundrum with FA before the draft. They only really have 2 viable options at #4 (MHJ or OT), and if they sign a vet OT to a decent deal it's tough to use that high pick on another OT.

I wonder if they make a strong play for Onwenu who has started at both guard and tackle.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That would have been the Keim way. I'm not sure if that's how they will play it, although I'd be fine with Beachum there as he's proven solid.
We know you'll be fine with whatever they do.

They did the same thing with Froholdt and at LG last offseason. The defense is a SuperFund site, and they have maybe one starting-caliber WR in oft-injured Michael Wilson. We're not actually flush with cap dollars, and I think that marginal improvements to the offense are likely to provide diminishing returns.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know you'll be fine with whatever they do.

They did the same thing with Froholdt and at LG last offseason. The defense is a SuperFund site, and they have maybe one starting-caliber WR in oft-injured Michael Wilson. We're not actually flush with cap dollars, and I think that marginal improvements to the offense are likely to provide diminishing returns.
What?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake