Beasley to be released by end of week.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/phoenix-suns-waive-michael-beasley

Official Suns site announcing it, and potentially saying that we will be paying him less than we thought because of some clause in the contract. If so, then Babby did good.

EDIT: My bad, they said there was an "agreement". If so, that's surprising that Beasley would agree to anything that lessens the money owed him.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey... sometimes you just gotta admit you misjudged a guy... and boy was I off the mark on Beasley. :p

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think his NBA career is over quite yet, though it should be. There's going to be another coach out there somewhere who thinks he's the guy who can get through to him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/phoenix-suns-waive-michael-beasley

Official Suns site announcing it, and potentially saying that we will be paying him less than we thought because of some clause in the contract. If so, then Babby did good.

EDIT: My bad, they said there was an "agreement". If so, that's surprising that Beasley would agree to anything that lessens the money owed him.

This is what I found interesting in the article.

The Phoenix Suns waived forward Michael Beasley today pursuant to a termination agreement between the club and him. In accordance with that agreement, the compensation owed to him by the team will be reduced, and the Suns’ salary cap room will be increased for both the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.

I'm not sure how the cap room will work.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the cap room will work.
It can't be a very significant increase since they only saved $2M by releasing him, but it's better than nothing.

It's a sad waste of talent on Beasley's part, but he won't be the first one nor the last one to do so. There has to be some sort of minimum intelligence level required to be successful in this league, and Beasley clearly has not reached it. It won't stop another team from signing him though, now that he is dirt cheap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can't be a very significant increase since they only saved $2M by releasing him, but it's better than nothing.

True. However if the Suns ever clear room on their roster it might sign a minimum type player or help the Suns clear more cap room to sign a more significant addition.

I think Babby is learning on the job and getting better as he goes.

Errntknght

Reaction score
So we take a 7 million hit this year? Or is it just the amount the original contract called for - six million this year and three next year?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Paul Coro on twitter:

Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 32m

The #Suns buyout of Beasley pays $4.67M (instead of $6M) this year and $2.33M (instead of $3M) next year. The $2.3M is spread over 3 years.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

I can live with this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620 2h

The Suns were scheduled to pay Beasley 6 million this year so they now have 1.4 million in cap room for this season.

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620 2h

The Suns will also have more cap money next season because instead of paying Beasley 3 million in a buyout they will be paying 770K

https://twitter.com/Gambo620

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, it just kills me that this asshat got paid $13 million for 1 season of overall horrible play. His throwing away most all of our fantasy of being paid millions of dollars to play a game just makes me ill. I don't care that he smokes pot, I've known a handful of NBA players over the years that I witnessed smoking pot. It's that he's so stupid as to get caught. That he couldn't tow the line and take advantage of his natural basketball talent to make so much more cash that has me pissed off. Man, it just sucks to see someone get opportunities that very few will have, and just throw them away. These guys talk about coming from the streets, the hoods, but so many of them act like spoiled little brats.

Ok, I'm done. Screw Beasley. :billthecat:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I don't think his NBA career is over quite yet, though it should be. There's going to be another coach out there somewhere who thinks he's the guy who can get through to him.

Half the posters over @ Real GM are wanting their teams to give him a shot.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
This actually may make the team better on the court. Dammit.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
... I don't care that he smokes pot, I've known a handful of NBA players over the years that I witnessed smoking pot. It's that he's so stupid as to get caught. That he couldn't tow the line and take advantage of his natural basketball talent to make so much more cash that has me pissed off. Man, it just sucks to see someone get opportunities that very few will have, and just throw them away. These guys talk about coming from the streets, the hoods, but so many of them act like spoiled little brats.

Ok, I'm done. Screw Beasley. :billthecat:

What gets me is not that he was smoking pot, it's that he was smoking pot while driving. He wasn't just putting himself at risk by doing that.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Half the posters over @ Real GM are wanting their teams to give him a shot.

Same with a lot of posters on PSD

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?835478-Suns-to-cut-Michael-Beas(t)ly

Man, I remember hearing the Lakers had some interest in this fool a while back. I really hope they sign him. I want to see him and Kobe fighting on the court for the ball :D

Seriously though, my "prediction" is that he signs with the Knicks or the Clippers. Maybe the Nets or Spurs also.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not real familiar with cap hits and all that so I have a question, why did Beasley agree to this? Why would be accept to get paid less?
The Suns could have kept him on the roster but had him stay away from all team activities leaving him with nothing to do but sit on his couch and blaze.

While that may have appealed to the Sleaze I'm sure his agent is well aware it would basically been the end of Measley's career.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I remember hearing the Lakers had some interest in this fool a while back. I really hope they sign him. I want to see him and Kobe fighting on the court for the ball :D

I wouldn't wish Beasley on my worst enemy. Wait... Yes I would! :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not real familiar with cap hits and all that so I have a question, why did Beasley agree to this? Why would be accept to get paid less?

As Phrazbit points out, the buyout is the best option if Beasley wants to move on to another team and resurrect his career. He will get his money back from another team willing to roll the dice. Beasley is still only age 24.

The link below is to a video of Lon Babby addressing the CAP situation. I think Babby handled this situation in the best possible manner given the circumstances.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/2647814754001

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake