Beasley to be released by end of week.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a waste. The Suns almost struck gold with a second round pick. The opportunity for that to happen rarely comes along.

He and Oliver Miller, such a shame. Our history would look much different if those two had the 12 year All Star level careers they should've had.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He and Oliver Miller, such a shame. Our history would look much different if those two had the 12 year All Star level careers they should've had.

Steve
Did you ever walk through the Paradise Valley Mall and see the behavior of Oliver and his entourage of oversized adolescents as they walked through?

His weight problem was a deterrent to an All Star level career. And, apparently, his child-like mentality was a further deterrent to his weight problem.

Whenever I watch the D'backs play the Giants (as they are this weekend), I marvel at how the Kung Fu Panda, despite his weight problem, has become a disciplined and successful hitter. And watching him dive for ground balls at 3B and get up and make perfect throws to 1B, or get around the bases, is really something.

Oliver Miller did not exhibit the discipline to be great despite his other skills. He was what he was. The total package was mediocre.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Miami Heat are considering the possibility of bringing back Michael Beasley, according to sources.

Several of the Heat's key veterans are supportive of signing Beasley. No offer has been made and no deal is imminent.

Beasley also has strong interest in returning to the Heat, who drafted him second overall in the 2008 NBA draft. He was dealt in the summer of 2010, when the Heat created enough salary space to sign LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

Beasley was released by the Phoenix Suns recently and has had issues off the court.

LOL at people getting excited over him possibly going to Miami

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?836573-B-Easy-heading-back-to-South-Beach

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a team with that kind of talent/leadership, it's worth a flier for them to take him a low-end contract, IMO.

I agree the Heat are in position to take the risk if they so desire. The Suns are trying to build a team from the bottom up with no distractions. The Suns signed Beasley to an 18M dollar contract. The Heat can sign Beasley to a near minimum contract and waive him if he becomes a fly in the ointment. The Suns should have never committed so much money to Beasley. The Heat are welcome to him or any other team for that matter.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm completely unworried about the prospect of Beasley playing well for the Heat. First of all, it's incredibly unlikely; and second of all, who cares? Someone has to win the title this season and it won't be the Suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It does not matter what uniform you slap on Beasley, he is still a horrible player.

The best I could ever imagine Beasley playing given his skill set (or lack there of) is a 6'9" version of Eddie House. But House played a frantic style and was quick to jack up his shots, making his hit or miss instant brand of offense more conducive to a quick run... some coach would have to beat the mentality out of Beasley to stand around and let the clock tick while setting up his 20 foot jump shot.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree the Heat are in position to take the risk if they so desire. The Suns are trying to build a team from the bottom up with no distractions. The Suns signed Beasley to an 18M dollar contract. The Heat can sign Beasley to a near minimum contract and waive him if he becomes a fly in the ointment. The Suns should have never committed so much money to Beasley. The Heat are welcome to him or any other team for that matter.
Yea its pretty low risk for Miami. Either they develop Beasley and win the title next season. Or they fail to develop Beasley and win the title next season.

Interesting for them to add on two projects though in Greg Oden and Michael Beasley. I'm sure Heat fans are going to be thinking that those two players will become as good as people clamored them to be during the draft time (in Beasley and Oden's drafts) and they will have the next dynasty on their hands for when Wade and Bosh leave/retire.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miami has nothing to lose here. If he acts up they cut him. If he contributes occasionally off the bench great. They won't depend on him night in and night out. Why anybody else would want this cancer is beyond me.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think it was in one of Coro's tweets that he said Miami disavows any interest Beas.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few of Miami's players might still believe in the Sleazy hype, but I have a hard time buying that Pat Riley wants him anywhere near his team. He cast him aside for 2nd round picks once, and before people go shouting "But that was only so they could sign the big 3!!!"... it wasnt. Big 3 signed for 14 mil a piece during that first year, Miami still had a nice chunk of change under the cap, money they used to sign Haslem and Mike Miller. Riley sniffed out Beasley before most did, and threw him out with the rest of the garbage when the Heat overhauled their roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few of Miami's players might still believe in the Sleazy hype, but I have a hard time buying that Pat Riley wants him anywhere near his team. He cast him aside for 2nd round picks once, and before people go shouting "But that was only so they could sign the big 3!!!"... it wasnt. Big 3 signed for 14 mil a piece during that first year, Miami still had a nice chunk of change under the cap, money they used to sign Haslem and Mike Miller. Riley sniffed out Beasley before most did, and threw him out with the rest of the garbage when the Heat overhauled their roster.

Technically, yes, they could have kept Beasley. And yes, I am sure that Riley was not as high on him as when he drafted him. But Beasley was also completely redundant with LeBron on the roster. He needed cap space for role players. Beasley was not going to be a starter with LeBron on the team and a former #2 pick that needs development is not going to be a good choice off of the bench.

But Riley is smart. Its not like he hasn't been watching Beasley since then. I do not see what benefit Beasley would be to the Heat. They would do better signing a dirt-worker like Lou.

The best option for Beasley was a team like the Suns when he came here. They were beginning the rebuilding process and they needed a young player with talent and some issues that could turn it around and make something of himself. Beasley just blew his best shot.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Heat will sign Beasley to a non-guaranteed, minimum-salary contract. Anyone surprised? Paul Coro at azcentral in an article dated 9-11-13 does a good rundown on the story. See link below.

The good news for the Suns is that some of Beasley’s contract, woth potentially about $1 million in all if he lasts the season, will offset a $4.67 million buyout on this year’s salary. The Suns’ buyout stipulated that a portion of any salary Beasley receives would offset the Suns’ buyout cost. Beasley is also getting $778,000 from Phoenix for each of the three ensuing seasons because the Suns used the waive-and-stretch provision while agreeing to giving him $7 million of the $12 million left on his deal ($9 million was guaranteed).

Maybe the Suns will get some good out of it.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulcoro/2013/09/11/beasley-in-miami-has-a-ring-to-it/

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does anyone have an explanation for why so many people write HEAT instead of Heat? It's the Phoenix Suns, not the Phoenix SUNS. Or the Utah JAZZ, etc. Yet I see HEAT more often than not.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an explanation for why so many people write HEAT instead of Heat? It's the Phoenix Suns, not the Phoenix SUNS. Or the Utah JAZZ, etc. Yet I see HEAT more often than not.

Maybe they don't want to get confused with the weather.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

Maybe it is an acronym. Hmmm. . . . There are so many possibilities.

Horribly Executing Anal Terrorists
Haunted Emblems of Automatic Turnovers
Homeless Emotional Apathetic Turtles
Homicidal Energy After Taxes
Highly Enigmatic ******* Team

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's a good point, especially as it takes a tad more effort to write "HEAT" in all capitals instead of Heat which has only one capital letter.

It has to be a conspiracy. :)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe it is an acronym. Hmmm. . . . There are so many possibilities.

Horribly Executing Anal Terrorists
Haunted Emblems of Automatic Turnovers
Homeless Emotional Apathetic Turtles
Homicidal Energy After Taxes
Highly Enigmatic ******* Team
Good job! I was going to post some acronyms at the bottom of the thread, but then I saw yours. Which I wouldn't be able to beat anyhow. I especially like your 2nd and 5th choices.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Your comparison is close.

As far as pure talent, I think Dumas was superior. If I recall correctly, the Suns came very close to trading Dumas for Rodman before things fell apart. I remember talk that Dumas had Jordan like skills.

I went back and watched an old game with him and Dumas was pretty much Carmelo Anthony, but a decade earlier.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like the Heat will sign Beasley to a non-guaranteed, minimum-salary contract. Anyone surprised? Paul Coro at azcentral in an article dated 9-11-13 does a good rundown on the story. See link below.

Maybe the Suns will get some good out of it.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulcoro/2013/09/11/beasley-in-miami-has-a-ring-to-it/

Yes, I am surprised. But it is a camp invite, make good type of contract. Very little risk there. Has no cap implications at all for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake