BENSON or HENRY???

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Who would you rather have and why? I prefer Benson. He's a tank and has much more potential than Henry at this point in his career.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Benson.. nothing like growing your own. I also believe that Benson has more top end speed. (not certain).

I dont think he has the injury history either.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Henry.

1. It saves us a draft choice and allows us to do something else with #8 (like draft Rolle, PacMan or Rogers). If we draft Benson, we have to hope that someone like Fabian Washington will be around at #44 and is a relatively risk free option as a starter. (Scary stuff).

2. We know Henry can play in the NFL. We only know that Benson played well in college. Perhaps Benson has a higher upside, but Henry has less potential downside.

3. Does a dude who refuses to work out at the Combine impress you with his overall "desire to compete" with the best RB's in his draft class?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Benson.

While it's tempting to fill the RB spot with Henry and free us up to fill other holes, Benson seems to have more potential and will be with us longer (ideally). Plus, let's get a guy who is unjaded by the NFL machine and sell him on our system before he can be brought up by some other organization.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Henry, because I would rather draft a CB.

Realistically, either one is fine with me.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Henry.

1. It saves us a draft choice and allows us to do something else with #8 (like draft Rolle, PacMan or Rogers). If we draft Benson, we have to hope that someone like Fabian Washington will be around at #44 and is a relatively risk free option as a starter. (Scary stuff).

2. We know Henry can play in the NFL. We only know that Benson played well in college. Perhaps Benson has a higher upside, but Henry has less potential downside.

3. Does a dude who refuses to work out at the Combine impress you with his overall "desire to compete" with the best RB's in his draft class?

We don't know what we have w/ Henry. We risk missing out on a top tier RB for the future of the franchise, for a back that has a history of injury and had an awful year last year when his job was on the line. Plus his contract is up. CBs are not locks even if they are drafted high, most of them are busts.

PIZ

Reaction score
Henry:

1. He's a Buffalo Bill.

2. PROVEN NFL BACK.

3. PRO BOWL BACK.

4. Cheaper.

5. Toughest running back in the NFL.

6. The Bills get Shelton.

7. Cards have more draft options.

8. Benson could flop.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
I would have to give the nod to Henry...He's proven himself in the NFL in a tough division. I would hope that the Cards can lock him up for more than a year. The Cards need to get a starting CB in the draft. Get Henry and add a speed rb in the 2nd or 3rd(Arrington?).

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Henry:

1. He's a Buffalo Bill.

2. PROVEN NFL BACK.

3. PRO BOWL BACK.

4. Cheaper.

5. Toughest running back in the NFL.

6. The Bills get Shelton.

7. Cards have more draft options.

8. Benson could flop.

I take it you are a Bills fan, I would take Benson because he can be a workhorse back for years to come and is an excellent blocker.

PIZ

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I take it you are a Bills fan, I would take Benson because he can be a workhorse back for years to come and is an excellent blocker.

I know it is more exciting to draft a guy, but HENRY has proven to be a workhorse NFL back already. Benson hasn't proved a thing. If you guys get Henry, and I think you will, you are going to be shocked at how tough this guy is. When Zack Thomas was asked "who is the ONE RB that is the hardest to tackle?" he said unquestionably "Travis Henry." The guy is like a greased bowling ball.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
PIZ said:
I know it is more exciting to draft a guy, but HENRY has proven to be a workhorse NFL back already. Benson hasn't proved a thing. If you guys get Henry, and I think you will, you are going to be shocked at how tough this guy is. When Zack Thomas was asked "who is the ONE RB that is the hardest to tackle?" he said unquestionably "Travis Henry." The guy is like a greased bowling ball.

He plays through injuries which may be a problem, also he is in his contract year right now so if he has a great year then he will want a huge deal.

PIZ

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
He plays through injuries which may be a problem, also he is in his contract year right now so if he has a great year then he will want a huge deal.

If he has a great year, he will be worth the huge deal. You have to give Benson a huge deal before he even proves anything.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
JPlay said:
We don't know what we have w/ Henry.

Can't say that I understand where you are coming from. We don't know what we get with Henry but Benson is the sure thing? So was Thomas Jones, right?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What are the statistics that a number 8 rb ever gets the stats Henry does? Probably not that good..probably less than 50%...so if you're playing the odds I'd say sign Henry, and I'd also take a chance by signing him to a longer term deal..you'd have to do that with Benson and he'll be really expensive if he pans out.

PIZ

Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
What are the statistics that a number 8 rb ever gets the stats Henry does? Probably not that good..probably less than 50%...so if you're playing the odds I'd say sign Henry, and I'd also take a chance by signing him to a longer term deal..you'd have to do that with Benson and he'll be really expensive if he pans out.

Exactly. And exactly why Denny Green has agreed to the swap of 2nds.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Exactly. And exactly why Denny Green has agreed to the swap of 2nds.

Conflicting reports on that. My understanding was that it would most likely be a player for player deal and not involve swapping picks.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
All things being equal and its a case of just picking one or the other, I'll take Benson. But the fact is, that's not the situation we're faced with.

I think they're close in talent. Benson is arguably the better back IMO. Henry is more proven. Henry is cheaper salary-wise. Benson has less miles. (Though he was worked hard in college).

But the idea of having Henry and a play maker like Derrick Johnson or Benson + Shelton, isn't a close call at all. Trade for Henry, go get an impact guy with that #8 pick.

PIZ

Reaction score
RobbleRobble said:
Conflicting reports on that. My understanding was that it would most likely be a player for player deal and not involve swapping picks.

Whatever. We won't get into that. Just that it would be a good trade for both teams. Anyway, you guys will realize what kind of back Henry is shortly.

Reaction score
Henry!

Because it is the most logical choice...

First, obtain Henry
Second, draft best corner or BPA in Round 1 and every succeeding round.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Can't say that I understand where you are coming from. We don't know what we get with Henry but Benson is the sure thing? So was Thomas Jones, right?

Ok then, I do know what you get from Henry an older RB, who's coming off two major leg injuries, and had the worst season of his career when his job was on the line.

First of all you can't compare any player drafted by this regime to the Mac era. If thats you're arguement why draft a CB, so we can have the next Tom Knight.

Plus, Thomas Jones problem was that he was too small. Benson has made a career out of pounding the ball and being productive. Benson was the 1 RB ranked when the season ended.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Henry.

At the risk of being accused of bashing Henry, you do realize Henry "refused" to work out at the combine too? He wouldn't run, I don't think he lifted either although I admit I'm not positive on that. One of the reasons Henry didn't go higher in the draft is scouts felt he didn't do enough in pre draft stuff to answer the question marks. He ran at pro day and it wasn't enough to convince people he wasn't too small or was fast enough or a good enough receiver.

All Benson did was take the wonderlic and go to interviews, I'm not sure but I believe that's precisely what Henry did.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Cedric Benson by far. To me it's not much of a comparison. Comparing these two is like comparing Ladainian Tomlinson to Travis Henry. Which would you take? Henry is a nice back and all, but I don't think he is in the same league as a Benson or Tomlinson.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:

Actually the number is 30%. Two years a go I did some research to see what the hit rate on 1st and 2nd round QBs RBs and WRs since 1985 was. QBs had the "best" sucess at around 50% while running backs were by far the biggest gamble with an overwhelming 70% of the picks a huge bust.

Benson looks really impressive and Henry has his share of ?????, but trading for Henry opens SOO many more options to us in the draft that I have to say Henry is the best solution for our running back needs at this point.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan