BJ Ojulari tears ACL in practice

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who’s clueless? The guy who said Chandler Jones contributed to the team that went to the NFC Title game… even though we didn’t trade for him until the next season in 2016?

Or the guy who said Kyler was hurt in Monti’s Year 2… which hasn’t even started yet.

Or that Kyler is a star even though he was atrocious the second half of 2021, all of 2022 before he got injured and was merely okay when he returned in 2023?

You literally don’t even have command of the most basic facts for our team PA.
Forget it. He can't even let people let off steam after a gut punch without scolding us like a schoolmarm.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
....and now the defense is going to be worse than the pretty bad it was going to be to begin with. Ugh.

You don't know that Stout!

Ojulari was one of 22 or 23 players that are going to get reps on defense this year!

It's not fair to pronounce the defense "worse than pretty bad" when we haven't even taken a preseason snap!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ojulari was one of 22 or 23 players that are going to get reps on defense this year!

It's not fair to pronounce the defense "worse than pretty bad" when we haven't even taken a preseason snap!

Losing BJ doesn’t make the D any better. I believe the Cardinals were counting on BJ to make a big jump this season. So his loss is going to big loss for the D.

Stout

Reaction score

Oh, I'm pretty comfortable taking that position. He was the guy Cardinals Princess Leia was saying "You're our only hope!" at edge. My HS team might've given them competition back in '94. Of course, I was only a 4-4 DE and we didn't have edge players, but I did break a 5.0 40 once :D

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing BJ doesn’t make the D any better. I believe the Cardinals were counting on BJ to make a big jump this season. So his loss is going to big loss for the D.
Haven’t you read K9 comments? BJ was literally no loss at all in his eyes sooooo…. Must be true.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What’s the latest on the rookie OLB from Clemson. Haven’t seen a word about him this camp, which isn’t good. Wasn’t he drafted to pass rush

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Haven’t you read K9 comments? BJ was literally no loss at all in his eyes sooooo…. Must be true.
That was not what he wrote...

Fact is that Monti did a complete re-build. First year he purged the roster and the team fielded the worst roster in the NFL - but the results were not the worst. It was actually a middle tier team once the franchise QB was back.

In 2nd year he build the depth of the team, so the team now, while not the best, a very very deep roster either through solid but not spectacular starters or high potential 1st or 2nd year players. We do not know if these high potential young players will develop into stars, quality starters, back-ups or flop.

BJ was one of those players. Potentially good, but at this point only potentially. BJ might have been a B+ (I think star potential would have shown already), he might have been a C, a D or F. We do not know how it would have translated on the field in an actual season game.

What makes BJ injury so bad is that it's at the one single position where Monti didn't secure depth.

We can argue if that was mistake or not. I do understand the rational behind. We do not know who Monti tried to sign in Free Agency, but fact is that this year's draft was very strong at positions of need for the team and he decided to secure better talent than normally would be available at those positions. This draft was weak on pass-rushers with one Elite talent with huge injury concerns and a couple of good 2nd tier players. Next year's draft meanwhile look to filled with talent at the position.
While passrushers are one of the most important positions on a NFL team, Monti took the right calculated decision to let that be the one position that was not truly fortified.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fact is that Monti did a complete re-build. First year he purged the roster and the team fielded the worst roster in the NFL - but the results were not the worst. It was actually a middle tier team once the franchise QB was back.

In 2nd year he build the depth of the team, so the team now, while not the best, a very very deep roster either through solid but not spectacular starters or high potential 1st or 2nd year players. We do not know if these high potential young players will develop into stars, quality starters, back-ups or flop.

BJ was one of those players. Potentially good, but at this point only potentially. BJ might have been a B+ (I think star potential would have shown already), he might have been a C, a D or F. We do not know how it would have translated on the field in an actual season game.

What makes BJ injury so bad is that it's at the one single position that Monti didn't secure depth.

We can argue if that was mistake or not. I understand the rational behind. We do not know who Monti tried to sign in Free Agency, but fact is that this year's draft was very strong at positions of need for the team and he decided to secure better talent than normally would be available at those positions. This draft was weak on pass-rushers with one Elite talent with huge injury concerns while next year's draft look to filled with talent at the position. While passrushers are one of the most important positions on a NFL team, Monti took the right calculated decision to let that be the one position that was not truly fortified.
I’m very confused how you come to your conclusion. with that last sentence. Going into the off-season, one of our biggest needs was pass rusher. We decided not to spend money to get one. We didn’t take one early in the draft. And now the guy, who didn’t even show much last season, but we depended on to take the leap, is done for the year. How exactly was letting one of the most important positions in football to be completely bare before the season even starts the right calculated decision? I guess I can see a world where you say it remains to be seen if that was the right calculated decision, but how do you make that claim that it was the right decision without even seeing how the results play out on the field?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Tough. It's Moti's job to do it and I'm not cutting him any breaks. If he had tried to get some other top edge prospects in here, through trades or FA, and it didn't work out, you can cut him some slack. But he basically drafted Beej, shrugged, and said "I'm good" for two years.
Maybe he did try?
We didn't hear anything about him going after Josh Jacob's until last week. This ain't Steve keim leaking everything to the media and visiting every podcast that will give him a mic.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I’m very confused how you come to your conclusion. with that last sentence. Going into the off-season, one of our biggest needs was pass rusher. We decided not to spend money to get one. We didn’t take one early in the draft. And now the guy, who didn’t even show much last season, but we depended on to take the leap, is done for the year. How exactly was letting one of the most important positions in football to be completely bare before the season even starts the right calculated decision? I guess I can see a world where you say it remains to be seen if that was the right calculated decision, but how do you make that claim that it was the right decision without even seeing how the results play out on the field?
Fair point.
What I’m saying. We Do not know Why No one was added in FA. The draft board felt differently.
I understand Why Monti decided to Roll the Dice on this position. If that was a wise decision Or not is a other discussion

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe that there is a potential disruptive pass rusher currently on the roster now that BJ is hurt. If the Cardinals were relying on BJ to be their primary pass rusher then it is on Monti to find a replacement. The best option at this point is a trade. No one is going to cut a decent rusher on cut down day.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The criminal thing is Brian Burns being available for a 2nd round pick this year and a 5th next and Monti not addressing the pass rush that way. Burns is a 25 year old stud pass rusher that would've been a perfect fit. And Monti had the cap space to do it.

With all the picks the Cards had this year, they could've easily beat that Giants deal. I have a very hard time thinking Monti was content on counting on a breakout season from BJ to not pursue a proven commodity in Burns.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shanahan won 4 games in year 2. His QBs were CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens. Gannon won as many with Kyler Murray.

This might be your dumbest ever take.

You forgot 3 games of Jimmy G and they were already 1-2 at that point.

Also it's very different playing with backups early to bringing a QB that has been out for 10 months back into the team with no off season and in a new scheme.

The mental contortions you make to poo on this org are wild.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Overall I like what Monti has done, but I agree the lack of moves at edge has been the biggest head scratcher.

From analyzing the moves he's made, I think he thinks that the roster has some pass rush answers that need to be sorted out. But even then, my critique is that when there is Danielle Hunter and Jonathan Greenard out there available for non-crazy money, it would create a good roster problem to add one of those guys since edge rotations are a thing.

Stout

Reaction score

What makes BJ injury so bad is that it's at the one single position where Monti didn't secure depth.

We can argue if that was mistake or not. I do understand the rational behind. We do not know who Monti tried to sign in Free Agency, but fact is that this year's draft was very strong at positions of need for the team and he decided to secure better talent than normally would be available at those positions. This draft was weak on pass-rushers with one Elite talent with huge injury concerns and a couple of good 2nd tier players. Next year's draft meanwhile look to filled with talent at the position.
While passrushers are one of the most important positions on a NFL team, Monti took the right calculated decision to let that be the one position that was not truly fortified.
No need at all to argue if it was a mistake or not. It's crystal clear and has been crystal clear. I've been banging that drum for over a year now. It's been a huge, inexplicable blind spot in his rebuild that was already problematic before Beej's season-ending injury.

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe he did try?
We didn't hear anything about him going after Josh Jacob's until last week. This ain't Steve keim leaking everything to the media and visiting every podcast that will give him a mic.
NFL GMs don't get participation trophies. Trying and failing makes him a failure.

Stout

Reaction score
The criminal thing is Brian Burns being available for a 2nd round pick this year and a 5th next and Monti not addressing the pass rush that way. Burns is a 25 year old stud pass rusher that would've been a perfect fit. And Monti had the cap space to do it.

With all the picks the Cards had this year, they could've easily beat that Giants deal. I have a very hard time thinking Monti was content on counting on a breakout season from BJ to not pursue a proven commodity in Burns.
Even the "but you can never ever ever trade draft picks!" nutsos could have gotten behind that trade, I would think.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Cards’ reaction will tell you if they think they can contend for a playoff spot. If so they may make a trade. I’m guessing this ended their hopes of a surprise contention. So they likely settle for signing Ngakoue.

Stout

Reaction score
Cards’ reaction will tell you if they think they can contend for a playoff spot. If so they may make a trade. I’m guessing this ended their hopes of a surprise contention. So they likely settle for signing Ngakoue.
This is a great take. At this point, if the trade is for a long-term edge, I'd say go for it. That is highly unlikely, so I don't think it will happen. I would not be in for a one-year rental type of trade. Not worth it at this point.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Get Ngakoue for one year and draft two young studs next year and settle the position for several years.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Judon seems like a trade candidate but do the Cards think a trade is going to make a difference. The fans want effort and a team to take winning seriously, but some fans might think it's not worth it. I feel the time is now to trade. This rebuild can't last forever. MO had handled it well, but this happening exposed some things that should have been addressed. This team is getting their guys, weeding out some from the previous regime. JC even said that locker room has changed and I believe it. As a DC by trade, one wonders when JG will have a D that gets a lot of sacks like he had in Philly.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Given his pedigree, Ngakoue's signing arguably improves the CARDS at the position and doesn't alter any perceptions of what may occur by season's end. If one believes the CARDS could contend for a playoff spot with BJ, they most certainly can do so with Ngakoue.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
You say this like it’s been 3 seasons already lmao. It’s only been 1, relax.
Yeah, very true. It's still a decision they'll have to weigh. Even if one has to be patient and let the drafts play themselves out. Drafts have to be looked at over a period of time. They'll have to determine if it's worth making a trade. MO had been handling his GM 101; but that injury at edge exposed some things. He had a tough job from the beginning; cleaning up a team that had a lot to clean.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05