Boris Diaw is completely worthless.

asudevil83

Reaction score
can the Suns just buy him out?
if so,
will that create some cap space to sign other free agents?

Buying out Diaw would most likely do nothing for our cap situation. lets say he agreed to be bought out for $40mil. that $40mil would be stuck on our cap figure for the remainder of the contract.

so instead of seeing $9mil per year ($45 over 5), we'd be seeing $8mil per year ($40 over 5), and we wouldnt have him on our bench at all.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Will Diaw be completely worthless if Amare misses anytime? I think Diaw is Amare insurance so to speak, anytime he fouls out or misses any time due to well other issues (I don't even like to think about it) Diaw is there to fill the role. And we can worry about getting rid of his contract later down the road if Amare proves he will remain healthy.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People in Atlanta were saying that Diaw was only playing well because of a contract year. It appears that was the truth. Diaw is not worth his contract. Enough is enough. How long do we have to hear D'Antoni defend this guy?
Yeah, nothing else has changed from 2005-2006 to now.... Why has Diaw? :rolleyes:

Have you ever thought that outside of passing on two layups per game on average, he is doing what he should be doing on this team? He may not be worth $9 mill per year for that role, but the money is not his fault. Sarver/Coach most likely did not want another JJ fiasco on the heals of the JJ fiasco. Now, he CAN play harder and he needs to. He can fix a lot of things if he hustles a little more. He can play well.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DIAW=DONE

How many "chances" does this guy get to prove himself? Why does he get such preferential treatment over other players like Banks?

I realize they are at different skill levels and they play different positions, but come on! You payed a lot of money for each of them and at least Banks should be allowed to play and contribute in certain situations. I mean if they can "work" with Boris and play him , why not Banks?

I guess I am just frustrated that they paid so much money to both these guys and then don't demand they play more...

: (

As long as Amare keeps getting into foul trouble Boris will continue to get chances to prove him self, if nash and bell start getting into foul trouble maybe Banks will get some run!
I think you guys are being a little bit emotional about the whole situation, is he worth what he's getting paid? No! but he is not worthless. he has some good moments, and usually when we need him.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
As long as Amare keeps getting into foul trouble Boris will continue to get chances to prove him self, if nash and bell start getting into foul trouble maybe Banks will get some run!
I think you guys are being a little bit emotional about the whole situation, is he worth what he's getting paid? No! but he is not worthless. he has some good moments, and usually when we need him.

I agree, most team have a dead weight player under a big contract. At least, our could be valuable in some situations.
We can't trade him with this big contract. We should focus on what he can do and how he can improve instead of bitching about his 9M a year.

That said I am really upset with Diaw attitude. With his talent, he shoud be a borderline All-Star instead of a lazy bench player.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i would venture to say that a good 75% of the posters were glad at the time when Diaw was extended....and probably a good 75% of these people were extatic that it was "only" a $45mil contract.

dont just fault the coach and GM for this move. Fault yourself, because chances are if you were the GM you would have done the same.

also, looking back at the signing we were completely unsure of Amare's status and whether he would be returning to full form. a good amount of us thought that Amare was done or would come back a shell of himself.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
i would venture to say that a good 75% of the posters were glad at the time when Diaw was extended....and probably a good 75% of these people were extatic that it was "only" a $45mil contract.

I don't recall being that excited about it, and I've been guilty of calling it a mistake a few times in the past. I actually researched my own post history and the only thing I found around the time of his signing was that I thought one of the big 3 would be traded when his extension kicked in. And I have to admit that I really am surprised that Marion is still here. Of course I didn't really forsee KT being traded at that point.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing else has changed from 2005-2006 to now.... Why has Diaw? :rolleyes:

Have you ever thought that outside of passing on two layups per game on average, he is doing what he should be doing on this team? He may not be worth $9 mill per year for that role, but the money is not his fault. Sarver/Coach most likely did not want another JJ fiasco on the heals of the JJ fiasco. Now, he CAN play harder and he needs to. He can fix a lot of things if he hustles a little more. He can play well.

Have you ever thought that passing up on two or more layups per game is part of a much bigger problem? Diaw has been passive in every facet of his game. He could have been a better player last year. He could have been a better player this year.

I don't fault the Suns for giving him the money or Diaw taking it at all. That's not what I am saying. What I am saying is that if things don't change.....it's time for a change. Unless having someone on your roster for 9 million per year is the new going rate for someone who "could" do something these days. :pullhair:

My point is that if Diaw doesn't improve rapidly the Suns need to try and trade the guy away. At this point I would much rather have Skinner under long term then Diaw. I have not completely given up on Diaw yet but I am pretty damn close.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Will Diaw be completely worthless if Amare misses anytime? I think Diaw is Amare insurance so to speak, anytime he fouls out or misses any time due to well other issues (I don't even like to think about it) Diaw is there to fill the role. And we can worry about getting rid of his contract later down the road if Amare proves he will remain healthy.

That's pretty expensive insurance though. And to be honest, Diaw has been pretty terrible without Amare on the floor this year aside from a few games. I think it all comes down to him being soft as butter. If someone could kick his ass and light a fire under him I think we'd see the Diaw of old.

If I'm D'antoni I bury him on the bench for a week or two, make a few vague comments regarding his lack of effort to the media, and personally tell him to get his act together. But with the complete lack of effort that Diaw has been showing, maybe he'd LIKE to sit on the bench and collect his money.

I hope I'm wrong. But I just can't figure Diaw out. What happened to the guy that averaged 18/7/5 against the Mavericks in the WCF?

What happened to this guy? :

Diaw recorded his first career triple-double on January 31, 2006 when his Suns defeated the Philadelphia 76ers at Philadelphia, 123-99. Diaw had 14 points, 13 assists, and 11 rebounds, as well as a block and zero turnovers in 39 minutes. He is the first French NBA player ever to record a triple-double. He recorded his second career triple-double shortly afterwards on March 5, 2006 when his Suns defeated the Dallas Mavericks at Dallas, 115-107. On April 14, 2006, Diaw recorded his third career triple-double when the Suns suffered a loss to the Golden State Warriors, 110-102. Diaw had 11 points, 11 rebounds, and a career-high, 16 assists, while adding three blocks and two steals in 42 minutes. Two days later, Diaw recorded his fourth career triple-double against the Los Angeles Lakers as his Suns lost 109-89. On December 15th, 2006, Diaw recorded his fifth career triple-double in a victory against the Golden State Warriors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Diaw

Last edited:

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
Has everyone forgotten that Diaw played early this season with TWO sprained ankles? His numbers actually compare pretty favorably with Hill's and Bell's -- fewer points, but more assists. He may pass up a layup or two each game, but at least he does so in an effort to set up a teammate with a shot. Marion flat out misses a layup or two -- how is that better? And Diaw never seems to get credit when he creates an easy layup for someone else with a nice pass.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has everyone forgotten that Diaw played early this season with TWO sprained ankles? His numbers actually compare pretty favorably with Hill's and Bell's -- fewer points, but more assists. He may pass up a layup or two each game, but at least he does so in an effort to set up a teammate with a shot. Marion flat out misses a layup or two -- how is that better? And Diaw never seems to get credit when he creates an easy layup for someone else with a nice pass.

I don't think anybody has forgotten that at all. However, if you add up all of Diaw's unnecessary passes between last and this year, the few passes he does make to set up his team mates doesn't make up for it at all. How many times has Diaw costs this team points by not being aggressive?

How many times has this teams offensive gone complete AWOL when Diaw is out there? Diaw doesn't need to be Steve Nash. He needs to be a more balanced player and start being aggressive or he will never live up to his 9 Million dollar a year contract.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Were his ankles were sprained all of last year as well, when he averaged 9 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds?

turtle

Reaction score
I think Diaw has some talent, but he never seems to use it. Probably because he is too passive. These days he pretty much does nothing when he is in the game. If you look at the 2 games that he started in place of Stoudemire early in the year he played well. Does he have the mindset that when Stoudemire is playing he does not have a chance to show what he can do? Maybe his production will increase next year if Marion leaves?

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think Diaw has some talent, but he never seems to use it. Probably because he is too passive. These days he pretty much does nothing when he is in the game. If you look at the 2 games that he started in place of Stoudemire early in the year he played well. Does he have the mindset that when Stoudemire is playing he does not have a chance to show what he can do? Maybe his production will increase next year if Marion leaves?

Hopefully.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
Were his ankles were sprained all of last year as well, when he averaged 9 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds?

Wow. I've generally been a Diaw defender, but I admit I didn't realize his numbers last year were that low. I still like what he brings, but I guess I can see how people would want something more for the money.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Wow. I've generally been a Diaw defender, but I admit I didn't realize his numbers last year were that low. I still like what he brings, but I guess I can see how people would want something more for the money.

If Marion goes next year, hopefully Diaw will pick up the slack. But this season already looks like another lost year.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I don't care about his numbers, but his defense kills me. Most days, it seems he's not even trying to guard anybody who weighs less than 250.

The good news is that Boris puts up that 20-footer without hesitation now. That's the one thing he's learned in the last year and a half.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

HOLY CRAP - In my mind I could have sworn I thought he should have been signed for mid 30s... I guess I have to eat crow. Nice find Petry, I fully admit my hypocrisy and will try not to do it again.

Oh and btw, calling D'Antoni 'coach jackass' is necessary until he learns to admit mistakes and change. That is why people prefer horses over donkeys - they are so stubborn.

However, knowing that the name has a tendency to offend some, I will cease and desist... for now.

Errntknght

Reaction score

Oh, come on now, at least get it approximately right if you're going to make some claim based on statistics. Boris' averages last year were 12.4 points, 5.5 rebounds and 6.1 assists.

OOOOOOOOPS, I got his numbers per 40 minutes instead of per game. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Per game WF is about right 9.7/4.3/4.8 in 31.1 minutes

Last edited:

mashedpatatas

Reaction score
i think the idea is to create a deeper and more solid bench contribution later in the season as well as in the playoffs. playoffs and championships are usually won by who has the better bench depth, and i would say that Diaw being on the Suns bench is pretty solid.

it's only been a month into the season and the team is still finding the right kind of mix in different combinations. Diaw may be a bit hesitant and indecisive as of now but i'm pretty sure he'll improve as the season progresses specially in the playoffs. he's probably still finding his own right now specially with Amare coming back and Hill taking up a lot of minutes on the floor.

give him a little more time guys, he deserves a chance.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I like Diaw and think he is doing fine. He is not a go to player on our team by any means. He is a good talent that passes well, defends well, but sometimes overpasses.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
i think the idea is to create a deeper and more solid bench contribution later in the season as well as in the playoffs. playoffs and championships are usually won by who has the better bench depth, and i would say that Diaw being on the Suns bench is pretty solid.

it's only been a month into the season and the team is still finding the right kind of mix in different combinations. Diaw may be a bit hesitant and indecisive as of now but i'm pretty sure he'll improve as the season progresses specially in the playoffs. he's probably still finding his own right now specially with Amare coming back and Hill taking up a lot of minutes on the floor.

give him a little more time guys, he deserves a chance.

I heard the same thing last year, and he never did much of anything. This year looks to be more of the same. How much time do we need to give this guy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05