Breaston Update

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Rotoworld) Steve Breaston had "some offseason work done" on his right knee and has been limited in Chiefs training camp. Analysis: It sounds like Breaston had surgery, which wouldn't be surprising considering the right knee has troubled him since the 2009 season. Breaston hasn't made much noise in Chiefs camp, and the team isn't even projecting him as a starter after signing Breaston to a five-year, $25 million head-scratcher in the offseason. He's not worth even a late-round flier in fantasy drafts.

Interesting...I really want to see Breaston succeed because he is a good guy. That being said, my bet that the Cards #2 WR will surpass Breaston's #s looks good.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ahhh behold that things are not always as they seem when the Cardinals release someone.

Black T

Reaction score
This in no way amuses me.

That guy is so under appreciated it makes me sick. I was pissed last year seeing the Cards take snaps away from him, slowly phase him out. He cant help it hes hit a rough patch with injuries. Cardinals were thankless for all the outstanding seasons he put up for us. When Boldin got hurt every other week, he stepped up and was a solid #2. At times when Fitz was getting triple teamed, Steves #s would indicate he was the #1 for that day. Guy is a hard worker, 100% effort, class act, strict professional and a damn good football player.

I know theres some Cards 'fans' out there who dont want to see him succeed just so they feel like we got the better end of the deal letting him go. I wish him nothing but success. Great guy, amazing talent.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't let Cheesebeef read that :)

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score

That guy is so under appreciated it makes me sick. I was pissed last year seeing the Cards take snaps away from him, slowly phase him out. He cant help it hes hit a rough patch with injuries. Cardinals were thankless for all the outstanding seasons he put up for us. When Boldin got hurt every other week, he stepped up and was a solid #2. At times when Fitz was getting triple teamed, Steves #s would indicate he was the #1 for that day. Guy is a hard worker, 100% effort, class act, strict professional and a damn good football player.

I know theres some Cards 'fans' out there who dont want to see him succeed just so they feel like we got the better end of the deal letting him go. I wish him nothing but success. Great guy, amazing talent.

No one under appreciates what he did for the Cardinals. He has injury concerns so they decided not to resign him to a new contract. We all wish him success. It's business, nothing more, nothing less. There was no deal to consider.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Just asking hes no longer a cardinal why the update

Because he was not only a Cardinal, but a much beloved Cardinal. He accomplished more, (with less to work with), than almost anybody I can ever recall on our roster. He endeared himself (especially to the blue collar workers). We wish him well.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just asking hes no longer a cardinal why the update

Because he was one of my favorite players last year and it has been my biggest regret this off season we didn't resign him. It is interesting to see the reasons behind that decision.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That guy is so under appreciated it makes me sick.

You are not just wrong, but VERY wrong.
this sucks. though breaston was at times injured he was reliable. no dropsies. jones is a better athlete, but not as dependable (not to mention we don't even know if we've got him). just keep letting young players that we develop walk when they reach their first contract . . . way to go FO!

I will miss Steve. A good guy who can ball. I don't know who will take the lead for the number 2 WR spot but we do have as few that have the talent. We will no doubt add 1 or two wide outs. In Whiz I trust.

Thanks SB..Good luck!

GBR

True but look at his numbers the last few years, they are anything but consistent. I will take the always dependable Breaston over him everyday of the week.

Good receiver, great guy, good teammate and it sucks the Cards couldn't keep him.

Sad to see him go, hope he does well, that's about all I got for a KC fan.

I would have loved to have him back, but not at the price tag.

Solid #3 WR. Great locker room guy. Will make clutch 3rd down catches.

There are some concerns about his knee.

Good signing for the Chefs.

Great #3, Good #2, I would put him in the class of MarTay Jenkins. Had some ok years, but never did much out side of the system. Has some injury issues but will go up and get the ball.

He's the Miracle Baby and he's a self-made receiver.
Good signing and all the best to him.

He has a fantastic touchdown celebration.

He made some clutch catches and hustles all the time. Gonna miss him.

If he's healthy, you'll be glad to have him. He's exciting and can make the big play although he does drop balls a little more often than he should. Not too many Cards fans are happy to see him gone.

Steve

Great #2 receiver and I'm saddened we had to lose him. If Warner was around last year, he would've gone for 1000 yards IMO.

Good guy, good receiver, good hands. Looked great when he was the #3 behind Fitz and Q.

A good receiver with both quickness and speed. He will be missed as a Cardinal. The organization wanted him back. That should be a good recommendation. It should be viewed as a good signing for the Chiefs.

You got yourself a gamer in Stevie. He gave us two very good years as #3 behind Fitz and Q. Tailed off last year due to injury and poor QB play. I look for him to resurrect his career under the coaching of Haley, especially if the knee doesn't give him problems.

Very good pick up. Good slot receiver. I think you got a very good deal on his contract, too. I'll miss you, Steve!

I am sorry to see him go, which is probably the best compliment a fan can give.

Need I go on? There's plenty more...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I found these sentences together to be interesting.

In one breath, you're telling us that we were "taking snaps away from him" and "phasing him out." But in the next breath, you say that he was hit with injuries. Did it occur to you that perhaps those injuries were the reason he was losing snaps and that it wasn't some contrived conspiracy to phase him out?

I love Stevie just as much as the next guy, but as you can tell from the update, he is still having problems with the same knee that plagued him all last season. That's a red flag.

The team wanted to re-sign him, but due to reoccurring knee trouble, which does not bode well for a player known for his straight-line speed, it was too much of a risk to give him premium money.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love Stevie, but even I saw his knee was a problem last year. Cards handled it well. I'll be surprised if he ever regains his full form again.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol ive seen NO ONE hate on breaston, only said he wasnt worth the contract which he wasnt when you see the stable of young receivers we still have on the roster.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Breaston will be missed. I still remember when he saved our game against the Rams last year. If not for him, the sky would've been falling much earlier than it did.

You must be registered for see images

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ahhh behold that things are not always as they seem when the Cardinals release someone.

Brings to mind Thomas Jones the cowardly scum bag runner that our HC decided could not run.

What a jolt to have our #2 pick in the draft go down for the year. Any ideas of who we might pick up or if we will pickup anyone? What has happened to Carson Palmer? Did he actually retire. The owner of the Bengals must be a total idiot for not trading him and getting a good draft pick. Talk about a hard head he must be one.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I always thought he could be a #1 for many teams and we were lucky to have him. Oh well!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No one under appreciates what he did for the Cardinals. He has injury concerns so they decided not to resign him to a new contract. We all wish him success. It's business, nothing more, nothing less. There was no deal to consider.

Decisions like this is why some teams win and some teams fail. I think we took 4 steps forward by extending Larry and one step backwards by letting Steve go. We clearly need a very good #2 to keep everyone from double teaming Fitz.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Because he was one of my favorite players last year and it has been my biggest regret this off season we didn't resign him. It is interesting to see the reasons behind that decision.

Not signing him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is often the reason. We likely could not afford to pay him knowing we were making a big offer to Fitz. I have to think the coaches knew he was a fine player and a stand up guy.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not signing him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is often the reason. We likely could not afford to pay him knowing we were making a big offer to Fitz. I have to think the coaches knew he was a fine player and a stand up guy.

I disagree. I believe it was:

#1. Health

#2. Adequate replacements already on the team.

One of the silliest statements on this board is that Breaston kept double teams off of Fitz. Fitz is bracketed by coverage on almost every play. Quality TE play over the middle will free up Fitz more than Breaston ever did.

chickenhead

Reaction score
We all loved Steve. It's not like the Cardinals cut him and he's out of work. He signed with the Chiefs for over twice what he made last year multiplied by 5 years. His guaranteed money is almost 4x the amount of last year.

It most likely wasn't 'thanks for nothing,' but more weighing the injury concerns against what he could get elsewhere.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all loved Steve. It's not like the Cardinals cut him and he's out of work. He signed with the Chiefs for over twice what he made last year multiplied by 5 years. His guaranteed money is almost 4x the amount of last year.

It most likely wasn't 'thanks for nothing,' but more weighing the injury concerns against what he could get elsewhere.

I tend to agree.

I love Breaston (he was my favorite player next to Hyphen), but, if the Cardinals were concerned about his knee (and, knowing that he likely had surgery during the offseason) combined with the salary he got from the Chiefs, I can see more now why they let him go.