Brent Barry Stuff

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My opinion was they were inspired by the Stackhouse idea.

Popovich is the best there is at "working the system."

They work the refs as part of an every game strategy.
They work the rules, including hard fouls, provoking anger, suspensions etc as a matter of strategy.
He has even been working the league office with his "trade committee" comments.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although bringing in another shooter can't hurt, I am not sure we really need him. We scored a ton of points the other night. So offense isn't our problem. It's defense. Brent Barry doesn't help us at all there. If anything I say we sign Barry to keep him away from other teams.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Yes and I don't think we'll be seeing Pike dunking on the break anytime soon.

Brent barry used to be quite athletic with some serious hops, PIKE never was, even at 25 years old. My concern is that Barry has aged and cannot defend anymore. His shooting skills have always been very good, and the suns need another shooter to space the floor. Giricek is also an outstanding shooter, but an inferior defender to Barry. If Barry has seriously aged, there will be little difference in the two.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brent barry used to be quite athletic with some serious hops, PIKE never was, even at 25 years old. My concern is that Barry has aged and cannot defend anymore.

Barry has never been able to defend.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I just like the idea of Amare or Shaq dishing it back out to a wide open Barry at the 3 point line. I've seen it too much in reverse.

I'll let the experts decide, but it would be interesting.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Just read this from hoopshype. It looks Barry is set to return to San Antonio. I have to wonder, what Stern could say about this if asked by press.

So the Spurs should want him back, and maybe this is a Jerry Stackhouse arrangement. The Seattle general manager who traded for and then waived Barry, Sam Presti, once worked for R.C. Buford. Why this would be more likely to pass an NBA inspection: Unlike Stackhouse, who blabbed about how he would return to Dallas, thus scuttling his deal, Barry would be too smart for that. Then again, perhaps the Spurs don't see a need to fix his return. Barry and his family are entrenched in San Antonio. Barry should also want to play with teammates he's known for years, as well as defend his title. And then there's his injury; waiting 30 days would just about coincide with rehab. Besides, Barry can't leave. Who would Fab Oberto play guitar with? San Antonio Express-News

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Supposition is just that. Unlike Stackhouse, Barry will just wait the required time and then CHOOSE where he wants to go.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Supposition is just that. Unlike Stackhouse, Barry will just wait the required time and then CHOOSE where he wants to go.

You're going to feel silly when Barry resigns with San Antonio 29 days from now.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
You're going to feel silly when Barry resigns with San Antonio 29 days from now.
No...I'm expecting that he'll re-sign with the team. But it's his choice. He can choose to go anywhere he wants to as an FA. If he wants Phoenix to hang out with Sean Marks and Steve Kerr, he'll do that. But since his family is in SA and he needs time to heal and he knows the system and team intricately, I think he'll wait those 29 days. With his gift of gab, I think it'll be hard to just be a quiet Brent Barry but he will be.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
No...I'm expecting that he'll re-sign with the team. But it's his choice. He can choose to go anywhere he wants to as an FA. If he wants Phoenix to hang out with Sean Marks and Steve Kerr, he'll do that. But since his family is in SA and he needs time to heal and he knows the system and team intricately, I think he'll wait those 29 days. With his gift of gab, I think it'll be hard to just be a quiet Brent Barry but he will be.
You make it sound like Barry wasnt aware he was even going to be bought out.

Dont be naive.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
Jon Barry was joking on the Cavs-Wizards game that whichever team Brent Barry joins will have the advantage.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm starting to like the idea of brining in Barry. Yes, he might very well go back to SA, but reportedly he was not all that happy about all the trade talk in past seasons, so he may opt to go elsewhere after finally being dealt. Also, he is only expected to be out around 10 more days with his injury. Not sure if he wants to take the whole month off. Players like to play. And in Phoenix, he will likely get more minutes than in SA. The Suns also have the highly renowned medical staff and treatment plans Hill, Shaq and Amare raved about.

So why would the Suns want him? With Marion leaving, that left us one less guy with whom to spread the floor. And as much as we dissed his 3-point shooting, he was always good for 1 or 2 a game. Barry is a 41% career 3-point shooter and 43% this year (74/154). He is no Pike, not yet anyhow. He will give the Suns another reliable option from the outside which will come in handy when Bell goes into his slumps again or Barbs is off. I am not surprised at all the Suns are going after him (it would also, in a way, make our KT trade a little less one-sided). You know they say you can never have too many shooters. But Barry also seems like a great locker room guy, and you can never have too many of those either. No, he is not the defensive stopper the Suns need, but none are available at the moment. We can still pursue someone else if they become available in the coming week, but I think Barry would make a fine addition and would contribute off the bench.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
from clutchfans.com board (rockets board)

"I emailed "The Rocket Guy" about his article where he claimed Barry has already committed to another team and he wrote back the "Suns"..."

Also on hoopsworld.com

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be awesome if Barry chose the Suns. Maybe I overlooked it but I didn't see anything new about Barry leaning towards coming to the Suns on hoopsworld.com. Perhaps I just over looked it. I just found the generic stuff. If you have any interesting links I would enjoy reading them.

OP
OP
G

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
This is stuff that I have heard from people who are pretty close to AT&T Executives. Houston is going to be making a major push for Barry; Celtics and Lakers also interested.

For what its worth--word is that BB is leaning towards the Suns.

Admires Steve Kerr.

Now he hates Pop.

The plot thickens--when can he actually sign with anyone?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I believe he can sign with anyone except the Spurs on Tuesday. He must wait 30 days from being traded to go back to San Antonio.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Sam Cassell may be bought out soon too. If Barry and SamIam to the suns isnt a lock on the ring then I dont know what is.

Nash/Sam/Strawberry
Bell/Barbs/Barry/Strawberry
Hill/Bell/Diaw/Tucker
Amare/Diaw/Skinner
Shaq/Amare/Skinner

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He lives in San Antonio. That would be a big inducement. I wonder how he has been fitting into the SA rotation lately.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
doesn't a player have to join a team before march 1st to be eligible for the playoffs? so really,if barry joined the spurs after waiting the 30 days he wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
doesn't a player have to join a team before march 1st to be eligible for the playoffs? so really,if barry joined the spurs after waiting the 30 days he wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs?

No, they have to be waived before March 1. They can be signed later than that.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Do it. The Suns need someone that can come in and hit the 3. He may not be what he once was, but I still vividly remember him killing the Suns with timely threes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05