Browns do something smart

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
actually they paid 16 million for that pick, then they have to pay the player they draft at that spot, which could be 10-14 million over the course of the contract. Pure stupidity.....:lmao:

If we had more cap room than God, I bet you our FO would rush to the bank to sign the check. Mere cash for a 2nd round pick? You do that deal every time.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, essentially the Texans gave Cleveland a 2nd just to take Osweiller off their hands? This is crap the NHL used to do until they put a stop to it.
Cap stuff makes my brain hurt.

That said - what I think is going on is that some boy or girl genius in the Cleveland front office looked at the analytics and figured out that cap room you're not going to use isn't worth anything.

I think the Cleveland FO also figured out that if you set an objectives (& the costs involved in attaining said goals) - if you think the cost is worth it - whether it be $16 mil for a QB who doesn't play, a free Burger King franchise, free parking in front of Penn station, whatever - you pay it if it's going to get you what you want.

I agree with NJ Cardfan. It sucks.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
UPDATE!
Tom Pelissero‏Verified account@TomPelissero 4m4 minutes ago

#Browns continued to make calls about trading Brock Osweiler before and after start of training camp, per sources. Keeping options open.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter‏Verified account@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Hue Jackson about to start conference call in which he is expected to announce QB DeShone Kizer as the official Week 1 starter vs. Steelers.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Don't know where else to put this, so Ill put it here. According to Bickley the cards have already fielded offers for Blain Gabbert. If this is true, what do you speculate the compensation the Cards would be looking for to do it?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Don't know where else to put this, so Ill put it here. According to Bickley the cards have already fielded offers for Blain Gabbert. If this is true, what do you speculate the compensation the Cards would be looking for to do it?

I would only trade him for a day two or above pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did he sign a one year deal? If it's only 1 year, and BA is unbelievably serious about Stanton being the #2, they should trade him if they can get something for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I heard this from the announcers in yesterday's preseason game with the Falcons as well. Thought they were only joking but perhaps it's true.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I have seen I'm not trading BG for anything less than a 2nd rd pick. I don't believe any team will offer that so BG stays with the Cards.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Did the last six years of regular season NFL tape on Blaine get acid washed? Blaine Gabbert has as much value as Enron stock, at the moment. Calm down, people. He's a dime-a-dozen QB who's having a good preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Did the last six years of regular season NFL tape on Blaine get acid washed? Blaine Gabbert has as much value as Enron stock, at the moment. Calm down, people. He's a dime-a-dozen QB who's having a good preseason.

You are being way too hard on him here.. has all the tape of him lighting up future insurance salsemen this preseason gone completely over your head or something?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

You forgot to add one of these to your post....:offtopic:

The post was Bick said "the Cards have fielded offers for him". The question was "what would it take for you to make the deal"? I tend to agree with Cheese, if your looking at him as a no 3 then why not take anything you can get?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority here, but if Palmer ever has to miss a game then I'd rather have Gabbert in there than Stanton based on the accuracy & zip on the ball that he's shown this pre-season. Even in the Atlanta game, Stanton's TD pass to John Brown gets intercepted or at least knocked down by better CB/S play... he airmailed another pass 5 yards over the WR and then threw up a complete duck trying to throw a deep ball that should've been picked off (WR turned into a DB to knock it down). On top of that, there were multiple times he just stared down his 1st option without ever progressing through his reads.

Gabbert threw 1 bad pass on the rollout where he underthrew the ball & it bounced to the receiver (far less dangerous than an airmail) and after that every pass was on target & catchable (2 were dropped or else he would've been 8/9). Gabbert won't ever know the playbook as well as Stanton does (at least this season), but he looks much better executing the plays that he does know & escaping pressure. Who knows how he'll look with the pressure of games that matter... hopefully we'll never have to find out, but I've posted stats on here before of Stanton's pitiful play filling in for Palmer (even though the team won 6 of those 9 games against weak competition).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont know if it smarts putting kizer there from day one
Kessler hogan are,better option
And the osweiller trade doesnt look like a smart thing

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Browns are pathetically stupid Keiser had a 51% completion percentage in freaking preseason not alot to hold your hat on and make him the starter JMO

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You forgot to add one of these to your post....:offtopic:

The post was Bick said "the Cards have fielded offers for him". The question was "what would it take for you to make the deal"? I tend to agree with Cheese, if your looking at him as a no 3 then why not take anything you can get?

Because just a few years ago we were in the playoffs and absolutely got crushed on account of putrid play at the #3 QB position? Plus, there's a chance he could resurrect his career here?

I'm no champion of Blaine Gabbert, but you have to think that he factors in on our roster next year one way or the other, as he's thrived in the system here. He probably knows it's his last chance, and for us to trade him away for a 6th round pick when we're going to be desperate at QB is a bad move.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sometimes I really wonder if some people here are Cardinal fans or just trying to be nonobjective and in their mindset that is only established by being critical so they can land a job on Sports Center. Look, Gabbert does look a lot better than his days in Jacksonville and even a legit backup QB has a ton of worth in the NFL

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sometimes I really wonder if some people here are Cardinal fans or just trying to be nonobjective and in their mindset that is only established by being critical so they can land a job on Sports Center. Look, Gabbert does look a lot better than his days in Jacksonville and even a legit backup QB has a ton of worth in the NFL

Gabbert's 2013 preseason in Jacksonville had him completing almost 70% of his passes with an 86.5 QB Rating. In the previous preseason, Gabbert completed 61% of his attempts for 3 TDs and 0 INTs. Blaineghazi!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Because just a few years ago we were in the playoffs and absolutely got crushed on account of putrid play at the #3 QB position? Plus, there's a chance he could resurrect his career here?

I'm no champion of Blaine Gabbert, but you have to think that he factors in on our roster next year one way or the other, as he's thrived in the system here. He probably knows it's his last chance, and for us to trade him away for a 6th round pick when we're going to be desperate at QB is a bad move.

I hear ya, I just don't understand the reason to make him number 3. If BA has plans for him next year then he should be number 2 as he would learn the system much faster. If CP goes down for any length of time we're finished

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
One more thing I would like to add is that CP didn't know the system either but he didn't have a problem beating out DS for the starting job
If BG had to start BA would just have to dummy the playbook down.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I hear ya, I just don't understand the reason to make him number 3. If BA has plans for him next year then he should be number 2 as he would learn the system much faster. If CP goes down for any length of time we're finished

Because you can't keep 3 QBs active on game day and Arians trusts Stanton more than Gabbert to come in and execute the already developed game plan than a guy who has only been in the system for a few months. It provides continuity for the players for their #2 to come in and know the system 100%.

Stanton might not be on the team next year, and giving Blaine a year to sit in the QB room and learn can hopefully marry the mental side of the game with his physical talents.

This team is very likely to see itself in a QB competition that may include Gabbert next year.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Because you can't keep 3 QBs active on game day and Arians trusts Stanton more than Gabbert to come in and execute the already developed game plan than a guy who has only been in the system for a few months. It provides continuity for the players for their #2 to come in and know the system 100%.

Stanton might not be on the team next year, and giving Blaine a year to sit in the QB room and learn can hopefully marry the mental side of the game with his physical talents.

This team is very likely to see itself in a QB competition that may include Gabbert next year.

Actually you can activate all three. The rules changed in 2011 when the game day roster went to 46 instead of 45.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05