Browns do something smart

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority here, but if Palmer ever has to miss a game then I'd rather have Gabbert in there than Stanton based on the accuracy & zip on the ball that he's shown this pre-season. Even in the Atlanta game, Stanton's TD pass to John Brown gets intercepted or at least knocked down by better CB/S play... he airmailed another pass 5 yards over the WR and then threw up a complete duck trying to throw a deep ball that should've been picked off (WR turned into a DB to knock it down). On top of that, there were multiple times he just stared down his 1st option without ever progressing through his reads.

Gabbert threw 1 bad pass on the rollout where he underthrew the ball & it bounced to the receiver (far less dangerous than an airmail) and after that every pass was on target & catchable (2 were dropped or else he would've been 8/9). Gabbert won't ever know the playbook as well as Stanton does (at least this season), but he looks much better executing the plays that he does know & escaping pressure. Who knows how he'll look with the pressure of games that matter... hopefully we'll never have to find out, but I've posted stats on here before of Stanton's pitiful play filling in for Palmer (even though the team won 6 of those 9 games against weak competition).

That pass from Stanton to Brown was perfectly thrown where only Brown could get it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all. The ball was a little underthrown & if the DB had turned back to look for the ball at all then it would've been easily knocked down or intercepted. The DB had his arms down too so that also gave John Brown a very small window to make the catch. John Brown made a great catch while leaning backwards to haul it in because the placement wasn't great. It was good enough for the TD, but it was also attempted because Stanton knew he had a free play after the hard count drew the D offsides... that defender had very good coverage on JB. Look at the position JB has to put his body into in order to make the catch... I wouldn't call that a perfectly thrown ball. I would call it a dangerously thrown ball if it wasn't a free play.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very interesting photos and fascinating that I see an almost perfectly thrown ball and you see is as an okay pass. IMO there are a handful of DB's who could have broken up that pass.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have different definitions of perfect. To me, a perfect throw would've been 2 yards deeper into the end zone & not thrown behind him so JB so could catch it in stride without having to stop his route & jump backwards to try to catch it while a defender plows into him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We are better with Gabbert than without Gabbert - not sure I can say the same about Stanton, but he knows the offense.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Browns cut Hayden who then signs with the Steelers, 3 yrs 27 mil. Are there any good players left on the Browns and can we work a trade to get one or two of them. Joe Thomas is still there........

Reaction score
Browns cut Hayden who then signs with the Steelers, 3 yrs 27 mil. Are there any good players left on the Browns and can we work a trade to get one or two of them. Joe Thomas is still there........

They still have quite a few good players.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
After the 1988 season, the Cowboys cleaned house from the owner right down to the only coach they ever knew and started from scratch. Their first draft, they drafted Troy Aikman #1 overall and Steve Walsh in the Supplemental draft and come the start of the season they had 2 rookie QB's so they threw Aikman into the fire. They went 1-15, Aikman went 0-11. They also traded away any old talent they had(raping the Vikings in the Hershel Walker deal). Within 4 seasons they were world champions. Moral of the story? Sometimes you have to throw the little birdie out of the tree to get it to fly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05