Browns do something smart

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Browns trade a 4th round pick to the Texans for a 2nd and Brock Osweiler. Now are looking at potentially just cutting Osweiler. Essentially, a 4th and money for a 2nd round pick.

Rare smart move by the Browns.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Whoa. Link?

This kind of thing doesn't happen very often. The NFL under Tagliabue hated trades that essentially were for cap space. IIRC, Jake Plummer was traded from Denver to Tampa Bay, and he promptly retired.

Jason1970

Reaction score
why would they cut him? if anything they could trade him while absorbing part of his salary

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
osweiller should feel really well after the consideration he got by both teams

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? That was a different type of trade.

not really. it was having to get rid of a big contract and needing to throw high picks in to do it.

still can't believe we traded KT away AND two first rounders away for nothing... a guy who was a key piece of depth and needed front line muscle... who was still contributing and ended up being the starter on a Spurs team that would reach the WCF that year. That one move really hurt the 2008-9 Suns squad, necessitating the Shaq deal, which monkeyed with the chemistry.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why would Houston give up a 2nd round pick and their QB for a 4th rounder? Just to dump cap space? That seems a bit like shenanigans to me. So now what happens to brock? He doesn't get paid? Cleveland pays him?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
not really. it was having to get rid of a big contract and needing to throw high picks in to do it.

still can't believe we traded KT away AND two first rounders away for nothing... a guy who was a key piece of depth and needed front line muscle... who was still contributing and ended up being the starter on a Spurs team that would reach the WCF that year. That one move really hurt the 2008-9 Suns squad, necessitating the Shaq deal, which monkeyed with the chemistry.

We made that trade because Sarver was a cheap ass and didn't want to pay the tax. The Texans are doing it to clear cap and acquire the QB they want (Romo or Cousins).

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would Houston give up a 2nd round pick and their QB for a 4th rounder? Just to dump cap space? That seems a bit like shenanigans to me.

Open up cap space to go after Romo or Cousins.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We made that trade because Sarver was a cheap ass and didn't want to pay the tax. The Texans are doing it to clear cap and acquire the QB they want (Romo or Cousins).

true... I just think it's similar in nature to having to give up a high pick to get rid of a contract.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

So both trades were made to save $$ by giving up an asset.

Question answeeed.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
true... I just think it's similar in nature to having to give up a high pick to get rid of a contract.

Ok, I can agree with that. Key is the Texans are planning to actually do something with that cap space and savings (I would assume). Sarver just pocked the savings. I don't want to think about Sarver and what could have been. Too early to start drinking.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Brock would consider returning to AZ if the Browns cut him. He could be the heir apparent to Palmer in a year or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal on Osweiler?

I haven't followed him since his Denver days. Would he be a quarterback the Cardinals should kick the tires on.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
So what is the deal on Osweiler?

I haven't followed him since his Denver days. Would he be a quarterback the Cardinals should kick the tires on.

He looked awful in Houston. If he could be picked up for cheap then wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a test drive in camp but idk what his contract situation will be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looked awful in Houston. If he could be picked up for cheap then wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a test drive in camp but idk what his contract situation will be.

I'd be for a look-see if there is not a contract issue with Osweiler as he is only 26.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very smart, good for them.

But lets not let Houston off the hook. What some stupidass nimrods they are. They better thank their lucky stars that the Browns were here to bail them out. Ridiculous to ever give Osweiller that much in the first place. They probably regretted it even before the ink was dry.

Awful.

Good for Cleveland.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would Houston give up a 2nd round pick and their QB for a 4th rounder? Just to dump cap space? That seems a bit like shenanigans to me. So now what happens to brock? He doesn't get paid? Cleveland pays him?
Tony Romo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05