Cam Cameron

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
- The Steelers run a similar organisation to the Cardinals and he would know how to fit in (Old School management and similar cap strategy).quote]

not to be a wise guy...but could you please expand on this statement how THIS TEAM'S front office is similar to that of the steelers...you MIGHT have a better shot at it comparing it to the raiders fron office and field mgt.

I would hope that the front office has already made the decision on Green. If they have decided to let him go then surely they have a list of likely candidates they will seek as a head coach and probably some idea of any coordinators they may desire to keep. One caveat is that this is the Bidwill organization and they may still not have a clue as to their future plans. I would be talking to anyone I legally could at this point and not drag this thing into next year. Any new guy should have the benefit to be on board well before the draft and free agency. Who ever they are going to fire if anyone should be given notice the day after the season ends so that all available candidates know we need what ever we need. I also hope the Bidwills seek some input on coaches and a possible GM from experts in the field and not try to do this on their own. That may be to much to hope for.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would hope that the front office has already made the decision on Green. If they have decided to let him go then surely they have a list of likely candidates they will seek as a head coach and probably some idea of any coordinators they may desire to keep. One caveat is that this is the Bidwill organization and they may still not have a clue as to their future plans. I would be talking to anyone I legally could at this point and not drag this thing into next year. Any new guy should have the benefit to be on board well before the draft and free agency. Who ever they are going to fire if anyone should be given notice the day after the season ends so that all available candidates know we need what ever we need. I also hope the Bidwills seek some input on coaches and a possible GM from experts in the field and not try to do this on their own. That may be to much to hope for.

The Cards had Green signed by January 7th of 2004. I wonder how long they'll take this time. IF indeed they are going to let Green go. Remember these are the Bidwills and you never know what they are thinking.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Wayne Fontes for the Lions too.

I thought of him, but i'm pretty sure he's Portugese. I forgot all about Flores. Here's a scary stat: Fontes is the winningest coach in Detroit Lion history.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
None of the above since both have won multiple super bowls in my lifetime. Cards can only be compared to the Clippers. Larry Brown for GM.

mulli

i know you got the spirit of what my point is...forget about superbowls for a minute....the steelers....for the majority of the time...even during rebuilding years have stayed around or over the .500 mark...they are the penultimate class oranization and always have been....evidenced by their record and hardly any turnover in the organization...SOME TEAMS...and you know who..can make more money if they put a turnstile in the office and made the candidates and former associates pay to get out of the building!!!

miami dolphins for many many years held the same banner...stayed close to the .500 mark even through rebuilding years....there are some teams whose mission is to rebuild every year...know any????

by the way al davis....before he became virtually exctinct ran a great organization for many years...but he has been on the downswing for a number of years....never a great fan but certainly respect the body of work on the field over the years...

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
None of the above since both have won multiple super bowls in my lifetime. Cards can only be compared to the Clippers. Larry Brown for GM.

oh another point mulli...ever hear of the chicago cubs...lets keep it on the football platform....we can site lack of winning to many many teams...easy question...try and identify those teams that have never been to a superbowl...it's not a hard question....here is a hint...the detroit lions....count indy (nee baltimore)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see the similarities re: old school mgmt and cap strategies. But beyond that, you lost me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My point K9 is that the 9ers don't really have the personell to have even an average defense. They are lacking playmaking DBs, another playmaking LB for the 3-4, a nose tackle, and have two ILBs who don't make plays.

I don't know, Krang. There are teams with worse personnel on defense that have done a much better job of improving over the past month and probably overcoming their personnel shortcomings.

Take the Cleveland Browns for example. They have the #24 scoring defense in the NFL (SF's is 24th). They also play a 3-4. Ted Washington might be a little better than Isaac Sopoaga in the middle, but Alvin McKinley and Simon Frazier, their ends, are stiffs. And their secondary is even worse off than the 49ers are. What's the difference? Better coaching.

What I'd say is that good coaching makes weak players seem better than they are. SF's defense doesn't even have to be average, they just have to not totally suck. But they do, and I don't think they have significantly worse personnel than teams like the Lions, Browns, or Saints. Why would you pull from a defensive staff that stinks? Don't you look for a staff that makes their personnel seem better than they are?

That's one of the reasons that I'm starting to like Jim Schwartz all over again for this job. I like him about a hundred million times better than Ron Rivera. If Denny Green is the only coach fired this offseason, the Cards are going to be in a great position to choose their replacement, because there aren't going to be a ton of guys that are going to be fired next year, either. Right now? I like:

1. Cam Cameron, OC, San Diego Chargers
2. Jim Schwartz, DC, Tennessee Titans
3. Bob Bratkowski, OC, Cincinnatti Bengals
4. Dante Scarnecchia, Asst. HC/OL, New England Patriots
5. Gregg Williams, DC, Washington Redskins
6. Pete Carroll, HC, Southern Cal
7. Tim Lewis, DC, New York Giants
8. Tony Sparano, Asst. HC/OL/Running game, Dallas Cowboys
9. Russ Grimm, Asst. HC/OL, Pittsburgh Steelers

None of it's going to matter, though, if this team fails to hire a GM and get the Bidwill family away from the day-to-day on-field operations of this franchise. If a coach says he'll only come here if he gets full personnel control, then it should be an automatic no.

This is one of the reasons that it's criminal that this team hasn't hired a special consultant to head up the GM search and begin to review the roster. No coach should come in here thinking that he can negotiate control of the roster. This team should have a GM in place before they fire Dennis Green.

EDIT: ...927. Ron Rivera
...10438. (Just after Russ Smith) Mike Martz

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't know, Krang. There are teams with worse personnel on defense that have done a much better job of improving over the past month and probably overcoming their personnel shortcomings.

Take the Cleveland Browns for example. They have the #24 scoring defense in the NFL (SF's is 24th). They also play a 3-4. Ted Washington might be a little better than Isaac Sopoaga in the middle, but Alvin McKinley and Simon Frazier, their ends, are stiffs. And their secondary is even worse off than the 49ers are. What's the difference? Better coaching.

What I'd say is that good coaching makes weak players seem better than they are. SF's defense doesn't even have to be average, they just have to not totally suck. But they do, and I don't think they have significantly worse personnel than teams like the Lions, Browns, or Saints. Why would you pull from a defensive staff that stinks? Don't you look for a staff that makes their personnel seem better than they are?

That's one of the reasons that I'm starting to like Jim Schwartz all over again for this job. I like him about a hundred million times better than Ron Rivera. If Denny Green is the only coach fired this offseason, the Cards are going to be in a great position to choose their replacement, because there aren't going to be a ton of guys that are going to be fired next year, either. Right now? I like:

1. Cam Cameron, OC, San Diego Chargers
2. Jim Schwartz, DC, Tennessee Titans
3. Bob Bratkowski, OC, Cincinnatti Bengals
4. Dante Scarnecchia, Asst. HC/OL, New England Patriots
5. Gregg Williams, DC, Washington Redskins
6. Pete Carroll, HC, Southern Cal
7. Tim Lewis, DC, New York Giants
8. Tony Sparano, Asst. HC/OL/Running game, Dallas Cowboys
9. Russ Grimm, Asst. HC/OL, Pittsburgh Steelers

None of it's going to matter, though, if this team fails to hire a GM and get the Bidwill family away from the day-to-day on-field operations of this franchise. If a coach says he'll only come here if he gets full personnel control, then it should be an automatic no.

This is one of the reasons that it's criminal that this team hasn't hired a special consultant to head up the GM search and begin to review the roster. No coach should come in here thinking that he can negotiate control of the roster. This team should have a GM in place before they fire Dennis Green.

EDIT: ...927. Ron Rivera
...10438. (Just after Russ Smith) Mike Martz

Fair enough. Schwartz would be a good pick as well. The Titans defense are playing above their heads.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumors is that Russ Grimm is the choice over Wiesenhunt.

Then I would love to see the Cards get Wiesenhunt. However, if Cowher doesn't make a decision on retirement very quickly that could impact both Grimm and Wiesenhunt. The Cards will move fairly fast on this.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought of him, but i'm pretty sure he's Portugese. I forgot all about Flores. Here's a scary stat: Fontes is the winningest coach in Detroit Lion history.

Interesting Cbus. I didn't think about him possibly being Portugese. I distinctly remember the Network know-it-alls at the time always refering to him as being Latino. I foolishly took their word for it. If this is true it is just another example on a long list of what my mom told me a long time ago to "don't believe everything you read or everything you hear."

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then I would love to see the Cards get Wiesenhunt. However, if Cowher doesn't make a decision on retirement very quickly that could impact both Grimm and Wiesenhunt. The Cards will move fairly fast on this.

if cower decided to retire i would be very surprised if grimm got the nod...he as lost out on a number of hc jobs around the league over the years...must be a reason...i think...strictly a guess that wiesenhunt would be the clear choice...and that would lead me to wondering why grimm never measured up...

what will be interesting is that chances are there will be very few hc opportunities this year...an organization that is looking to make a change is going to have some very good opportunities to find a top level coordinator for the "right" position if that is the direction they want to go.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grimm continues Cards' nightmarish fairy tale.

If Russ Grimm gets the job, you heard it here first.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Grimm continues Cards' nightmarish fairy tale.

If Russ Grimm gets the job, you heard it here first.

not so.....if you go back and look at the history of my posts you will see that i mentioned that a long long long time ago...mulli don't waste your time...grimm's name came up by me first...not that it is important as the chances of my being right are slim...too many potential entries in the mix...

grimm has lost out on a number of spots and will come CHEAP...that's the
key...i think they will get rid green..keep graves for something...push him upstairs...they won't ice both of them.

Boltpower 21

Reaction score
The rumor I've heard about Pete Carroll is that if he comes to Arizona, Pat Kirwan will be the GM. I'm a big listener of Sirius NFL Radio and Kirwan is easily my favorite analyst on there so I would not like that scenario.

As for the Chargers, I'm hoping Cam Cameron isn't going anywhere next year but I suppose a lot of that is going to depend on what happens with the Chargers in the postseason. If the Chargers make it to the Super Bowl, teams may be reluctant to go after any of our coordinators because they won't be able to interview until the Super Bowl week.

If the Chargers don't make it to the Championship game or beyond, it's pretty much a lock that Marty will take the fall. But rumor is that Wade Phillips may take over as HC. Cameron may leave if that's the case.

Cameron has said he's not thinking of leaving but the right opporunity and the right amount of money can change a person's thinking very quickly.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The rumor I've heard about Pete Carroll is that if he comes to Arizona, Pat Kirwan will be the GM. I'm a big listener of Sirius NFL Radio and Kirwan is easily my favorite analyst on there so I would not like that scenario.

As for the Chargers, I'm hoping Cam Cameron isn't going anywhere next year but I suppose a lot of that is going to depend on what happens with the Chargers in the postseason. If the Chargers make it to the Super Bowl, teams may be reluctant to go after any of our coordinators because they won't be able to interview until the Super Bowl week.

If the Chargers don't make it to the Championship game or beyond, it's pretty much a lock that Marty will take the fall. But rumor is that Wade Phillips may take over as HC. Cameron may leave if that's the case.

Cameron has said he's not thinking of leaving but the right opporunity and the right amount of money can change a person's thinking very quickly.

There are only so many positions to fill. Most likely there are only two positions, where an external coach will be brought in - Atlanta and us.

The Steelers will promote Grimm or Wiesenhunt and Ryan most likely will take over if Shell is being fired.

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
If the Chargers make it to the Super Bowl, teams may be reluctant to go after any of our coordinators because they won't be able to interview until the Super Bowl week.

If the Cards are interested, they can interview him in the 1 week window between week 17 and the wild card round. This was a new rule that the NFL made a few years ago. They can do everything except announce a formal PC with the new coach if his old team is still in the playoffs

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not so.....if you go back and look at the history of my posts you will see that i mentioned that a long long long time ago...mulli don't waste your time...grimm's name came up by me first...not that it is important as the chances of my being right are slim...too many potential entries in the mix...

grimm has lost out on a number of spots and will come CHEAP...that's the
key...i think they will get rid green..keep graves for something...push him upstairs...they won't ice both of them.
You made up the fairy tale headline. Congrats!!

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perhaps the best place to start would be the GM. Let him select the HC. For the life of me, I can't understand why a HC with great potential would want to coach the Cards without a top notch GM in place.
e

you answered your own question...with the complexities and dynamics of the game today, even the great of the great...say a vince lombardi could not get it done that way today....mike holgmren wanted it tried it and almost got himself canned before he gave in....it would be nice to have an ozzie newsome type running the ship.