Can someone talk me off the ledge?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have found this off-season so disturbing.

1. The Suns lose to the Spurs in a very poorly officiated series.
2. The Suns lose to the Spurs as a result of a very suspect judgement concerning suspensions for leaving the bench. (again, there was no altercation when Amare and Boris jumped off the bench. When they saw there was an altercation, they went back to the bench. But this is old stuff).
3. We trade away multiple first round draft picks for cash or saved salary.
4. We trade away our best interior defender (on a team that severely lacks interior defense and rebounding) for cash.
5. Our team does not look like it now has what it takes to contend for a championship.
6. We have a referee fixing games, and one who specifically worked games where EVERYONE considered calls suspect and particularly one-sided (game 3 of the Spurs series).

At this point:

1. I have no confidence that this ownership group values winning at a significant enough level to compete for a championship.
2. I find the referee scandal particularly disturbing. The question about the legitimacy of officiating and of the game will always be in the back of my mind (and in the comments on message boards) whenever a game seems to be called unevenly. The very idea that we could have lost a championship because of a crooked ref is almost insurmountable for me. I don't know if I can enjoy the NBA any more without a constant nagging sense of suspicion.

I am just not that interested anymore.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want me to give you a push?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At this point:

1. I have no confidence that this ownership group values winning at a significant enough level to compete for a championship.
2. I find the referee scandal particularly disturbing. The question about the legitimacy of officiating and of the game will always be in the back of my mind (and in the comments on message boards) whenever a game seems to be called unevenly. The very idea that we could have lost a championship because of a crooked ref is almost insurmountable for me. I don't know if I can enjoy the NBA any more without a constant nagging sense of suspicion.

I'm in the same boat. I've pretty much decided to drop League Pass for next season, for instance. I'll still follow the league in general because I enjoy fantasy basketball during the regular season, but I probably won't pay much attention to the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be worse... you could also be a diehard Cardinal fan who's watching their team be the only one with their first round pick holdout for the fifth year in a row.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be worse... you could also be a diehard Cardinal fan who's watching their team be the only one with their first round pick holdout for the fifth year in a row.

Calvin Johnson signed?

keric

Reaction score
Reasons not to jump

1. We did not trade Amare
2. We did not trade Amare
3. We did not trade Amare
4. We did not trade Amare

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of what you said. However, the Suns still are going to have a good team barring any major injuries. We should win our division and should be in the playoffs.

However, if the end result is that we still have to get past San Antonio, I don't see anything we did so far this off-season to get over that hump.

You see...there always is a silver lining. :biglaugh:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson signed?

have the Lions not gotten any of the first round draft picks in on time in the last five years also? I guess that would make sense considering they are the same horror show of a franchise as my beloved Cards. Good company to share that honor with.

Mirth

Rookie
Reaction score
Not to push you any farther, but A/P is reporting that KG just signed with Boston..

I'll join u..

Heavy D

Rookie
Reaction score
KG going to Boston doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather have him there than with LA or Dallas or Golden State. Having him there makes it even harder for ATL to make the playoffs. The T-Wolves will suck even worse than they already would have. And no, the Celts could not hang with the Suns if we met in the Finals.

This Suns team, even as is presently constituted, is going to win a hell of a lot of games. If we don't sign another big man now, I look for us pick up someone of impact sometime during the season, a la Tim Thomas.

We can beat the Spurs. There's not anyone available that can stop Duncan. What if Strawberry can slow down Parker or Ginobili?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Alas, I am a Cards fan too. I just don't post about the Cards because my sister (believe it or not) is inside the organization and gets insider info. Its not worth jeapardizing her job in any way, so I just don't post about them.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

It's almost worse to be a Suns fan, at least Cardinal fans never get close, their optimism is misguided because they don't know any better. Kind of like that virgin friend we all had who would have nothing but rosey opinions of women.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's almost worse to be a Suns fan, at least Cardinal fans never get close, their optimism is misguided because they don't know any better. Kind of like that virgin friend we all had who would have nothing but rosey opinions of women.

oh, believe me, it's tougher being a Suns fan because the fall is MUCH harder. With the Cards there are ZERO expectations - hell, there's really negative expectations so if they get a first down in the first quarter of the first game, I'm ecstatic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alas, I am a Cards fan too. I just don't post about the Cards because my sister (believe it or not) is inside the organization and gets insider info. Its not worth jeapardizing her job in any way, so I just don't post about them.

then I suggest you just jump. ;)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I would even want to hear inside information about the Cardinals. Sometimes what we don't know can't hurt us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I would even want to hear inside information about the Cardinals. Sometimes what we don't know can't hurt us.

agree - if they as inept as they look on the outside, I can only imagine how inept they are behind closed doors.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insider: So Mulli, let me tell you the real reason we thought Wendell Bryant would be good.

Mulli: Please don't.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Obviously since the Suns will not make any other moves until the end of the decade, they are doomed, doomed, doomed. :D

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
I have found this off-season so disturbing.

1. The Suns lose to the Spurs in a very poorly officiated series.
2. The Suns lose to the Spurs as a result of a very suspect judgement concerning suspensions for leaving the bench. (again, there was no altercation when Amare and Boris jumped off the bench. When they saw there was an altercation, they went back to the bench. But this is old stuff).
3. We trade away multiple first round draft picks for cash or saved salary.
4. We trade away our best interior defender (on a team that severely lacks interior defense and rebounding) for cash.
5. Our team does not look like it now has what it takes to contend for a championship.
6. We have a referee fixing games, and one who specifically worked games where EVERYONE considered calls suspect and particularly one-sided (game 3 of the Spurs series).

At this point:

Perhaps by next week you will wake up and see a headline in the sports pages that says:

SUNS SIGN STAWBERRY, SKINNER
Suns Add Depth To Center And Guard Positions

Then after reading it, you will realize what a huge season-changing transaction the Suns just made and will refrain from jumping off a ledge.

Hint: sarcasm.....

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My prediction is that the Suns will sign at least one more player besides Strawberry. Since Straberry would give the Suns 12 players, that would leave them one under the minimum number of players on the roster. I'm not going out on a limb on that one. :D

There are a number of veteran free agents on the market that might be useful, but it seems very unlikely the Suns will get a rotation player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps by next week you will wake up and see a headline in the sports pages that says:

SUNS SIGN STAWBERRY, SKINNER
Suns Add Depth To Center And Guard Positions

Then after reading it, you will realize what a huge season-changing transaction the Suns just made and will refrain from jumping off a ledge.

Hint: sarcasm.....

Sarcasm aside, your response gives me hope. The Suns were right there last year. The Suns adding a couple of physical guards gives me hope. And I like the physical play Skinner could bring to the Suns. Sure losing KT was a downer but almost everyone knew it was coming... sadly.

IMO the Suns would have been better served in the long run if they packaged those two first round picks and moved Banks instead of KT. Perhaps the Suns FO still do not want to admit the severity of the Banks blunder because they did not have a full-time GM.

And JCSunsfan, hang in there. I'm on the ledge with you but I still want to see how things play out the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser