Cardinals 27 Eagles 6 Post-Game Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Personal Note: I have been spending the past week at odds with whether I should continue to blog here. Like anyone else, I am fine with differences in opinion---that's what makes the board engaging and interesting. But, when the posts turn personal and a deliberate attempt to denigrate, humiliate and belittle the poster---which is in direct violation of the ASFN rules---it shatters the integrity of the board and it makes bloggers like myself wonder whether this is worth the aggravation.

It really hit home this past week when one of my all-time favorite students, who is such an avid Cardinals fans that he wears Fitz and ADub jerseys to school here in Foxborough, googled my name to try to find my book and saw that I am blogger on ASFN. He then went to the ASFN site and started to read my posts and then next day he was visibly upset by the personal attacks that were levied against me and others, to the point where he asked me why I put up with it.

A couple of years ago I retaliated to a couple of posters---to whom I profusely apologized to afterward, and have deeply regretted ever since---but this is what the aggravation can do to me and anyone else---but the way things are if you want to respect others and abide by Skkorp's rules, you either have to sit there and take it time and time again, or you have to stop putting yourself out there and walk away.

Putting people on ignore is NOT an option. Because that is simply ignoring the problem---and students like mine who read the posts are going to see the personal attacks and thread trashings anyway.

I recently received an apology from someone here I value---and I appreciate that---and I want to trust that he doesn't throw an ad hominem at me or anyone else again. And many of you have always been respectful even when you ardently disagree with my opinions. That's the intended spirit of this board that I love. And there are others of you I consider my dear friends---people here I think the world of.....some of whom I PMed my game thoughts to. But that isn't the answer either. The answer is that we all contribute to the integrity of the board so that we can continue to have the best Arizona Cardinals forum for avid fans that there is on the planet.

So---I am going to try this again---but, honestly, if I continue to see posters bashing me or anyone else, I am going to stop. I hope you will understand and respect that.

My thoughts---

1. When was the last time we played a very good team and we as fans could actually relax at half-time? Glory be!

2. Horton's pressure was so relentless I was actually starting to feel sorry and afraid for Michael Vick (who earned my respect for doing his best to hang in there despite the constant punishment).

3. Kerry Rhodes? Now we know what he is capable of and what he had been capable of all along, but hadn't brought it. he even conceded it himself aster the game when he said something to the effect of hey everyone else is making plays, so I figured why not me?

Horton has built such a defensive bandwagon right now that we are starting to see what the players' maximum potential really is.

Room for improvement---there are times when the players set up a little late---and that should improve as the games proceed. And we are just starting to see the DBs making plays on the ball. Once they get into interception mode---just think of what this defense could accomplish!

As for Horton, I think we are all wondering at this point---how could the Cardinals possibly let him go coach somewhere else? Clearly---he is the straw that is stirring this drink. When you have something this special and uplifting---you cannot risk letting it go. The players are garnering more confidence and more identity from him than anyone else. The identity piece is key.

4. Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Miller are doing a fabulous job---the way CKW has lifted Kevin Kolb's spirits up from the NFL dregs (and with it the level of his play) is fantastic. Kolb actually looks comfortable---and the couple of collapsed pocket sacks he took were fine and it seems he is starting to recognize that. And he is now taking off with the ball---which is a further indication that things with Kolb are moving forward, not backward. But man, Kolb is spinning the ball in there to Fitz, Roberts, Floyd, Doucet, King, Housler, etc. as well as he ever has as a pro. I had to laugh when Brian Billick tried to say that Kolb's goal-line pass to Doucet was "a little behind him and this has been Kolb's problem." That pass to Doucet could not have been throw more on time or more accurately.

5. The unsung heroes? Obviously, the offensive line. Batiste has been solid at LT---and is playing with good technique....which hasn't totally surprised me because I and Gary and others noticed him show up well at LT last year in pre-season. Massie is playing like a three year vet---and get this: we can run the ball to the right now!

6. Beanie Wells---a square peg for a round hole, and because of his liabilities teams have been able to key on him when he's in there because they know he is going to run the ball. Good player---just not the right fit.

7. Ryan Williams---is the right fit. he gets to the hole faster and he can make the first guy miss which is exactly what CKW has been wanting from his RB. Plus, this kid has such a work ethic and heart, you can't help but love the kid.

8. Symbolic play of the game? Floyd knocking DRC on his keister. Cardinal tough is showing up even with first round WR draft picks! You know---as crazy as this sounds, especially when a few weeks ago the Cardinals were still getting trashed on the blogs for getting hosed in the Philly deal---but I will bet you there are thousands of Eagle fans who watched this game and wondered why they gave up on Kolb in favor of Michael Vick---and I bet you that most of those fans are almost just as frustrated with DRC as we were. Yes, all-world talent (as Fitz has said)---but where's his head?

At this point, let me ask you this---who would you rather have?

QB Vick---CB DRC---LB Kendricks

QB Kolb---CB Peterson---LB Bradley

Rhetorical question?

9. What I like best about the Kolb/Skelton combo is that I believe they are learning from each other. Kolb has learned quite a bit from Skelton's pocket play and Skelton is learning from Kolb to spin it faster and on time. We are going to need both QBs---so we can ride with the hot hand and we should. Kolb is the man right now.

10. Special teams---looking more and more special all the time. The only thing to worry about is Zastudil over-kicking the coverage, but otherwise Zastudil has been fantastic.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Putting people on ignore is NOT an option.

It has been for me. Putting people on ignore who don't add anything to the discussion and just take pot shots at other posters or do nothing but make wise cracks has made the threads much easier to read.

Special teams---looking more and more special all the time.

One thing about our special teams is that our coverage teams are struggling. For instance on the return where we got a fumble recovery the Cards missed 5 tackles. They also seem to be over running the ball. Seems like the gunners need to go down a little more under control.

we are just starting to see the DBs making plays on the ball. Once they get into interception mode---just think of what this defense could accomplish!

The secondary coverage was very good vs the Eagles. One reason Vick was scrambling so much is that he had no one to throw to. I had to watch some plays 2-3 times to make sure it was an Arizona Cardinals secondary I was watching. The coaches film really helps in looking at coverage and WR routes.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Who was relaxed at halftime ?!?!?!

SO, jealous to those how have that faith. I was worried till there was 3min left in the game.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Welcome Back, Mitch...

I always enjoy your insights! These are indeed great days to be a Cardinals' fan. It's a strong temptation to rush this thing along too prematurely, and I guard against that each day. In my 45+ years of being a sports fan (Cardinals, Cardinals, Blues, and Hawkeyes (my dads' from Iowa) I have found one constant to be true. It's all "fragile". Players get hurt, the ball stops bouncing your way ,etc. You really have to learn to just appreciate the moments. ...And right now, things are as good as they possibly can be.

As for the "personal" attacks against you I'm going to borrow from one of my favorite movies "The Green Mile." When John Coffey is brought into the waiting room to be electrocuted (even though he and the guards know he's innocent) he says, "Alot of people in this room here hate me. I can feel it! Like bees stinging me." One of the guards who has come to admire this man says to him, "Well, feel how we feel about you?" "Think about that." John Coffey smiles and surrenders himself to the moment at hand.

Mitch you have GREAT value here and I for one, and I'm sure many others here, would miss you if you were gone. BUT, if you do go for whatever reasons, know that I consider you a friend..part of my my Cardinal family. ...And wherever you are and in whatever you do...ALL THE BEST!

GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS, my friend!! Mark in SC :)

PROUD FAN OF THE STILL UNDEFEATED ARIZONA CARDINALS!! :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny thing; I've gotten so used to tuning out & skimming past the sophomoric or denigrating stuff (unless, hmphh, directed at me) that I never noticed anything personal being directed at Mitch.

Mitch - I hope you'll find the following helpful:

ASFN and other public forums are like giant polluted bodies of water - full of weeds, sharks, & jellyfish. But for every piranha or barracuda, there are tens of knowledgeable Cardinal fans who love you.

Write for them.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Mitch - I hope you'll find the following helpful:

ASFN and other public forums are like giant polluted bodies of water - full of weeds, sharks, & jellyfish. But for every piranha or barracuda, there are tens of knowledgeable Cardinal fans who love you.

Write for them.

You must be registered for see images attach

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personal Note: I have been spending the past week at odds with whether I should continue to blog here. Like anyone else, I am fine with differences in opinion---that's what makes the board engaging and interesting. But, when the posts turn personal and a deliberate attempt to denigrate, humiliate and belittle the poster---which is in direct violation of the ASFN rules---it shatters the integrity of the board and it makes bloggers like myself wonder whether this is worth the aggravation.

It really hit home this past week when one of my all-time favorite students, who is such an avid Cardinals fans that he wears Fitz and ADub jerseys to school here in Foxborough, googled my name to try to find my book and saw that I am blogger on ASFN. He then went to the ASFN site and started to read my posts and then next day he was visibly upset by the personal attacks that were levied against me and others, to the point where he asked me why I put up with it.

A couple of years ago I retaliated to a couple of posters---to whom I profusely apologized to afterward, and have deeply regretted ever since---but this is what the aggravation can do to me and anyone else---but the way things are if you want to respect others and abide by Skkorp's rules, you either have to sit there and take it time and time again, or you have to stop putting yourself out there and walk away.

Putting people on ignore is NOT an option. Because that is simply ignoring the problem---and students like mine who read the posts are going to see the personal attacks and thread trashings anyway.

I recently received an apology from someone here I value---and I appreciate that---and I want to trust that he doesn't throw an ad hominem at me or anyone else again. And many of you have always been respectful even when you ardently disagree with my opinions. That's the intended spirit of this board that I love. And there are others of you I consider my dear friends---people here I think the world of.....some of whom I PMed my game thoughts to. But that isn't the answer either. The answer is that we all contribute to the integrity of the board so that we can continue to have the best Arizona Cardinals forum for avid fans that there is on the planet.

So---I am going to try this again---but, honestly, if I continue to see posters bashing me or anyone else, I am going to stop. I hope you will understand and respect that.
sorry to hear you feel this way man. It's the internet, there will always be a lack of manners that you wont typically see in person. Mainly because they don't have to worry about consequences. Don't let em get to you. I'm sure every poster enjoys your input more than their insults, I know I do...

now, on to the good part:
I'm with Rugby, I can never relax watching the Cards. I remember, all to clear, the difference between the 1st half and the 2nd half in the AZ/GB Playoff game. Lucky we got away with a little tug on the facemask in OT :D

Horton is a badass. Hard to believe he's gotten these players into the scheme and the mindset that he has in the 1 season and 3 weeks he's been here. Good thing Whiz hired his PIT lackey as so many called him a year ago...

Rhodes was always great. I believe he led the team in tackles his first year here

Miller is actually surprising me and looking like a real OC. Maybe it's because it's not the stupid way the play-calling was set-up last year. Maybe it's the fact that the D has relieved so much pressure on him that he can relax. Whatever it is, I'm not complaining lol

the line has been absolutely impressive. Going into the season, we had every reason to believe that this line was going to be absolutely torched. But with 3 new pieces on the line, both Ts were listed as backups on the roster, they're playing better than I can remember

Beanie is still a beast. He and RWill compliment each other well. Williams REALLY seemed to come into his own on Sunday though, which I loved to see. He's a great kid, wears his heart on his sleeve, can be as good for this organization off the field as he is on it

don't need to touch the Kolb/DRC thing. Before we even traded him, there were rumors about Horton not wanting him. I never had a problem with the trade. The contract was a bit overboard, but he's playing good enough that I forget that part lol

Kolb and Skelton both seem to be very professional about the "controversy". Obviously they both want the job, but they both want the W first and seem to be always helping each other on the sidelines

ST looked so awful against SEA that I still haven't completely forgiven them. That game should have been a blowout. But they've gotten back on the right track. So a forgiveness card may be in the mail soon lol

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Sad to say a full season of this (or better) defensive play and we will probably lose Horton to a head coaching job. It's great & sucks all at the same time. I agree we should pay him what it takes & give him assistant or co-HC title or something that will keep him here for a while....

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Welcome back Mitch... there's a lot more people on here that value your opinion/perspective than do not.

seesred

Reaction score
MItch I hope you don't take this wrong but I love you're thoughts on all the games and players.o There. Don't let a couple of fools stop you from staying with those of us that need you!

GBR

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Got your back all day hombre, nobody beats Mitch!! :) you better keep posting up in this piece, because I enjoy your stuff and I am very selfish...so do it for me man!!

I get quick with the keyboard sometimes, then I work on it, then it happens again later on, it's a weird trip for me. But I agree with what you say, and I know you enjoy every victory the same way I do...it's why we care. Don't ever boycott the ASFN, I understand you aint down with the ignore button but give it a shot if you seriously get annoyed by a couple guys. I should be the cooler hippie when that happens but I'm working on it.

Point is we're 3-0, this is the time, it's gonna be bumpy and crazy, but this is the time. Stay on the boat, you one of the good floats.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In summary,

You must be registered for see images attach

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a serious note - Welcome Back, Mitch.

Just an observation and not meant as a slam at all, but you and your students need to have thicker skin. Do not let others bother you so much.

Stick around. Plenty of people here appreciate your thoughts.

:newcards:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good football thoughts in your post Mitch.

A lot of us knew Skkorp and I talked to him in person several times and via PM a lot more times. In my personal opinion, he'd be proud of how this board is working now. It is way more focused on football, with far fewer personal attacks, than it was back in the day.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
On a serious note - Welcome Back, Mitch.

Just an observation and not meant as a slam at all, but you and your students need to have thicker skin. Do not let others bother you so much.

Stick around. Plenty of people here appreciate your thoughts.

:newcards:

As much as I like Mitch, I have to agree with this.

If you can't handle the criticism of some, you should not expose yourself by writing so much material in your posts. Not everyone is going to agree with you. Some will systematically break down your posts in a tactful manner, others will directly attack you.

Think about it. Well-known journalists like Jason Whitlock, Stephen A. Smith, and Skip Bayless make millions off people who hate them so much, but the common trait amongst these opinionated journalists is instead of letting their detractors bother them personally, the take the opposition's vitriolic attacks as fuel to write more controversial, polarizing articles. Since you are the ASFN de facto opinionated columnist, and have been since I can remember, you should be used to this by now.

Clearly, you'll be missed when/if you decide to leave, but if you choose to post on other message boards, the contrarians will always follow. So you can choose to accept that people will not agree with you all of the time while sometimes being less than fruitful, or you can continue to let it bother you personally. For your sake, I hope you choose the former.

You can change the frame, but the picture will remain the same.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Mitch. I hope your sabatical gives you a fresh approach to posting here. We all miss your keen observations, and your dedication as a Cardinals fan. Most of all we love your beautiful prose.

Just to inject a little piece of candor into this post, I couldn't help noticing that is was Brian in Mesa who injected into this perfectly civilized post, that you and your students need to have a thicker skin if you wish to post on this board. I simply don't see that as the answer, as it is EXACTLY this kind of mentality that encourages posters here to bash anyone with whom they disagree. The fact that he is a moderator on this board, and thus posters look to him to see how it is done, is precisely why someone in his position should not provide ANY sort of reason, (or even a hint of encouragement), for anyone to continue distasteful conduct directed at ANY poster. This is an abohrant stand for anyone in authority to take in my opinion. I find it offensive.

Mitch, you put nothing but love into this post, as did all of the respondents, save one. To have a moderator, (of all people), tell you and your students to grow a thicker skin is simply shameful. It is one thing to have a couple of posters exchange friendly barbs with each other. It is completely different to not only allow, (but to encourage) bashing that has nothing to do with friendliness. How can anyone expect the posters on any board to remain civil with each other, when the moderators themselves seem to be the very people who encourage the practice? I join your friends in welcoming you back.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Glad you're back Mitch...BTW, I love the ignore feature, for I have had a poster on ignore for two plus years now and I enjoy the board much more for it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Mitch. I hope your sabatical gives you a fresh approach to posting here. We all miss your keen observations, and your dedication as a Cardinals fan. Most of all we love your beautiful prose.

Just to inject a little piece of candor into this post, I couldn't help noticing that is was Brian in Mesa who injected into this perfectly civilized post, that you and your students need to have a thicker skin if you wish to post on this board. I simply don't see that as the answer, as it is EXACTLY this kind of mentality that encourages posters here to bash anyone with whom they disagree. The fact that he is a moderator on this board, and thus posters look to him to see how it is done, is precisely why someone in his position should not provide ANY sort of reason, (or even a hint of encouragement), for anyone to continue distasteful conduct directed at ANY poster. This is an abohrant stand for anyone in authority to take in my opinion. I find it offensive.

Mitch, you put nothing but love into this post, as did all of the respondents, save one. To have a moderator, (of all people), tell you and your students to grow a thicker skin is simply shameful. It is one thing to have a couple of posters exchange friendly barbs with each other. It is completely different to not only allow, (but to encourage) bashing that has nothing to do with friendliness. How can anyone expect the posters on any board to remain civil with each other, when the moderators themselves seem to be the very people who encourage the practice? I join your friends in welcoming you back.

sabbatical

abhorrent

BIM