Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0718levilatest-CR.html

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 18, 2007 12:10 PM
The Cardinals and the agent for first-round pick Levi Brown are continuing to negotiate in the hopes of reaching an agreement before the first practice of training camp on Aug. 29.

Brown's agent Joel Segal said Wednesday the two parties have had "preliminary, positive" talks that probably will increase in intensity next week.

The Cardinals top three picks are unsigned. The agents for defensive tackle Alan Branch, a second-rounder, and linebacker Buster Davis, a third-round pick, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think camp starts on Jul. 29. Right? Not August?

EDIT: Just FYI--Somers is back from vacation. Don't forget to check into his blog daily again!

Last edited:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
I think camp starts on Jul. 29. Right? Not August?

EDIT: Just FYI--Somers is back from vacation. Don't forget to check into his blog daily again!

Wish they would fix this site's link...

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I really hope we get levi brown signed before camp starts he is the main we guy we need in camp the most when it starts.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
does anyone realistically think Brown will get in on time? Segal has had a 50% holdout rate and Graves has had a 100% holdout rate. Plus, Graves seems to let the other teams around him set the market as does Segal. Chance of Brown being signed by next Friday,2.5% and that's being optimistic. I do think Davis will be in on time and Branch will be 50/50 because i'm sure he thinks his value is much higher than the 33rd pick. I believe Graves stated st draft time that they had him as a high 1st rounder.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
does anyone realistically think Brown will get in on time? Segal has had a 50% holdout rate and Graves has had a 100% holdout rate. Plus, Graves seems to let the other teams around him set the market as does Segal. Chance of Brown being signed by next Friday,2.5% and that's being optimistic. I do think Davis will be in on time and Branch will be 50/50 because i'm sure he thinks his value is much higher than the 33rd pick. I believe Graves stated st draft time that they had him as a high 1st rounder.

If the team wants to win, they need to show it by getting Brown into camp on time. He MUST get as many practice reps as possible to build OL cohesion. This is a necessity!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
If the team wants to win, they need to show it by getting Brown into camp on time. He MUST get as many practice reps as possible to build OL cohesion. This is a necessity!

Your preaching to the choir on this one.

Wish I could say I felt optimistic about this.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to get all these guys into camp on time so as to avoid distractions and like you have already said give them as much time as possible to work with the team ...

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I really doubt that Brown will sign in time for the start of camp but I don't necessariy think that it will be Graves' fault. I bet that Brown will sign right after the sixth pick is signed because he really doesn't have much leverage (he was projected to go earlier than his draft slot and he isn't a quarterback) The real culprit for the holdouts is the system that continues to reward hype. This is definitely a byproduct of the hype that surrounds the NFL Draft but still it would be alot better of the league if they made the rookies earn their fat contracts instead of wasting money on a crapshoot.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D Urban points out that Segal's MO is to wait til the last minute to see what guys selected above and below his clients are getting. This may mean that we won't see Levi til the 4th or 5th day of Camp.

However, there's an interesting sidebar on slotting - I heard somewhere that, with all the new "creative" wrinkles put into contracts (i.e. signing bonuses, roster bonuses, incentives, accelerator clauses, contract length etc.), the importance of slotting has become less a factor.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I really doubt that Brown will sign in time for the start of camp but I don't necessariy think that it will be Graves' fault. I bet that Brown will sign right after the sixth pick is signed because he really doesn't have much leverage (he was projected to go earlier than his draft slot and he isn't a quarterback) The real culprit for the holdouts is the system that continues to reward hype. This is definitely a byproduct of the hype that surrounds the NFL Draft but still it would be alot better of the league if they made the rookies earn their fat contracts instead of wasting money on a crapshoot.

Brown was projected to go earlier than #5? Never heard that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Brown was projected to go earlier than #5? Never heard that.

I think he mis-spoke. I think he means that Brown wasn't drafted lower than his perceived value (a la Matt Leinart).

The real leverage that Brown does have is that the Cards are bent over a barrel at OT if he isn't in camp. No one seems to believe that Oliver Ross is going to be able to hold down that spot.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I confess that I firmly do not believe Levi will be signed by the first practice. I don't know if I'll ever really believe our top pick will ever be in on time unless we get at least a couple in a row done on time.

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I dont know the answer and Im confident some of you do.

Is Brown not allowed to participate in training camp without a contract? Is it against the rules? Or is it just a common occurence for rookies not to practice til they have an agreement with their respective teams?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I dont know the answer and Im confident some of you do.

Is Brown not allowed to participate in training camp without a contract? Is it against the rules? Or is it just a common occurence for rookies not to practice til they have an agreement with their respective teams?

Sustaining injury while in training camp, without a contract, is not a good idea. There isn't an agent, who has half a brain , who would allow a client to practice without a contract.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
... There isn't an agent, who has half a brain , who would allow a client to practice without a contract.

Except in off-season workouts with insurance coverage.

Why can't they get training camp insurance coverage for a little more money and get this show rolling on schedule?

Then again, that would take all the angst out of training camp starting date.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why can't they get training camp insurance coverage for a little more money and get this show rolling on schedule?

Maybe because an unsigned rookie might show early signs of being a " bust " in pre season camp and the club would then ship his butt out or use this discovery in the bargaining process.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Because holding out of training camp is the only leverage that players and agents have to getting a better contract. The player can't walk to another team; the only other option the player has is the "nuclear option" of going back into the draft the next year. The team presumably drafted that player because it believes that the player has value. The only leverage the player has is to withhold that value from the team until he receives what he believes to be proper compensation.

If the team is already getting its value from the player (because he's participating in camp/playing games), what incentive is there for the team to pay more? Agents don't like holding their players out of camp any more than teams do, but when Oliver Ross gets his usual Day 3 Training Camp injury, Brown is really going to have this team over a barrel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05