Cardinals, Brown in talks

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Yes and if not true its BS from an agent leaked to put pressure on the club.

Of course you tend to think it is true, you believe anything that comes out that paints the Cardinals organization in a poor light.

The point is you keep say 'if it is true', you don't really mean that, you believe it is true and you then proceed to talk based on that assumption being accurate.

The fact that it might not be true never is a consideration

The FACT that every year Graves had been doing contracts there has been a holdout lends me to believe that this is the case. What facts do you have to prove otherwise? Plus, how is it putting pressure on the Browns by Condon saying the Cards didn't start negotiating until day 1 of camp :doi:?

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, Leinart went into camp as the #2 QB on the roster. It would not surprise me if there wasn't a real sense of urgency to get his deal done before camp.

I also think that after the second preseason game, that Green saw some things in Warner that concerned him and that is when he put the pressure on the FO (and Leinart's agent) to get the deal done.

Brown and Leinart's negotiations are apples and oranges as far as I am concerned. IMHO, the FO fooled around getting Leinart's deal done because they had no pressure, and with Brown, it is the agent who is fooling around because there is pressure.

JTS

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, Leinart went into camp as the #2 QB on the roster. It would not surprise me if there wasn't a real sense of urgency to get his deal done before camp.

I also think that after the second preseason game, that Green saw some things in Warner that concerned him and that is when he put the pressure on the FO (and Leinart's agent) to get the deal done.

Brown and Leinart's negotiations are apples and oranges as far as I am concerned. IMHO, the FO fooled around getting Leinart's deal done because they had no pressure, and with Brown, it is the agent who is fooling around because there is pressure.

JTS

uh, hadn't Kurt Warner proven to be extremely brittle, having gotten injured every single year since his first year with the Rams? It was a foregone conclusion that Matt would be in there sooner rather than later if our front office was a student of history and knew Warner's body would break down or that he just flat out had lost it, like he had shown the previous four seasons when two other teams gave up on him.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh, hadn't Kurt Warner proven to be extremely brittle, having gotten injured every single year since his first year with the Rams? It was a foregone conclusion that Matt would be in there sooner rather than later if our front office was a student of history and knew Warner's body would break down or that he just flat out had lost it, like he had shown the previous four seasons when two other teams gave up on him.

:D That you and I, along with most everyone else on this board, knew that to be true doesn't necessarily mean that Graves knew it.

JTS

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Graves is waiting for Landry or Peterson to sign. Thats fair.

Problem may be that Seigel (who represents our guy and Landry) is waiting on Peterson, and his agent, in turn, is waiting on the Landry signature. We are thus left waiting.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting On Levi

Contract talks ongoing but No. 1 pick still absent
By DARREN URBAN

You must be registered for see images

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Top pick Levi Brown remains unsigned and will miss the Cardinals' first practice.[/FONT]

FLAGSTAFF – The Cardinals and the agent for top draft pick Levi Brown are still talking, and parts of the deal are all set.

But the monetary gap between the two sides remains significant, and Brown will not take part in the team’s first practice Sunday afternoon.

“We think our proposal is in line with the market,” general manager Rod Graves said.

Graves emphasized the negotiations have been cordial, but after the Cardinals sent their first proposal two weeks ago,

Brown’s agents did not return an official counter proposal until a few days ago.

The two sides had a “couple of conversations” Saturday afternoon, Graves said, but they yielded little.

Graves said some parameters have been agreed upon. It will
be a six-year contract, and the mechanisms used to reach the contract’s value – things like signing and options bonuses along with incentive clauses – are in place.

But Graves said the contract of Tampa Bay’s Gaines Adams, the No. 4 pick chosen one spot before Brown, has not been officially reported, so the Cardinals have yet to break down how it has increased percentage-wise over last season’s No. 4 pick. That would make it easier to assess how much money Brown should receive.

It also doesn’t help that Brown’s agent, Joel Segal, also represents No. 6 pick LaRon Landry. Landry is also unsigned, as is No. 7 pick Adrian Peterson.

“Both of us are trying to get a feel for the value and make sure Levi is in line,” Graves said.

Graves said he planned to talk with Segal again Sunday morning.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. He's missing the first real practice.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Waiting On Levi
But Graves said the contract of Tampa Bay’s Gaines Adams, the No. 4 pick chosen one spot before Brown, has not been officially reported, so the Cardinals have yet to break down how it has increased percentage-wise over last season’s No. 4 pick. That would make it easier to assess how much money Brown should receive.

Always an excuse for Graves. Other teams don't seem to have these issues. Must not be important to Graves to have the lineman in camp on time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That seems to be the biggest indictment of Rod Graves: he doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency around getting his most important draft pick into camp on time.

Shame.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
That is a bunch of BS saying that it was not important to get Leinart into the camp on time. There was no backup to Warner and everyone knew how vulnerable Warner had been last few years.

Also, sitting around and not getting the picks in on time regardless of whether they are going to start or not is really unprofessional attitude. You need all your picks on time for the training camp.

Agree with others that why the hell do WE ALWAYS have to wait for all the picks around us to be signed to determine what the value should be??? How the hell other teams are doing it and we can't???

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Somers says that Graves is optimistic that despite the fact that they're "far apart" in terms of money right now, that they can close the deal quickly.

Does anyone have faith in Graves' optimism at this point?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brown has been penciled in as a back-up going into camp. I not going to freak out for another couple of days.

But it would be nice to be one of the 1st teams to have all our picks signed. It seems we always have to wait and see what other teams do instaed of setting the market.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Not "officially reported"!? Jesus Graves, so you are going to hold it up over that?

Give us a break, you know the numbers, so get Brown in on time and not worry about the +/-500K difference the "official report" may make...

Sheeesh.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Knowing our alternative is Oliver Ross, there is absolutely no reason why we haven't paid this guy yet. If we have any hope for the season, we need Brown to know the offense as soon as possible, and with the heaviest action in the first week or so of practice it is essential that Levi doesn't fall behind.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why must the Cardinals always nickel and dime every first round draft pick? Unfortunately it's always about the money with the Cardinals. I guess I answered my own question.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It also doesn’t help that Brown’s agent, Joel Segal, also represents No. 6 pick LaRon Landry. Landry is also unsigned, as is No. 7 pick Adrian Peterson.

“Both of us are trying to get a feel for the value and make sure Levi is in line,” Graves said.

Graves said he planned to talk with Segal again Sunday morning.

awesome.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Somers says that Graves is optimistic that despite the fact that they're "far apart" in terms of money right now, that they can close the deal quickly.

Does anyone have faith in Graves' optimism at this point?

I don't have faith in his optimism but what he said is true. One hour a contract can look very far apart then the next hour the player is signing on the dotted line. Happens every year. These negotiations can go from bad to great in a matter of one phone call, or from great to bad in one phone call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05