Cardinals | Green lashes out at Leinart

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sign the deal you greedy jerk! I mean come on seriously he will be getting top 5 money at #10 and thats not enough? I seriously hope the new commisioner gets some sort of rookie contract situation like the NBA has implemented. I find it just silly these rooks come in and make more than vets who go to the pro bowl every year! Prove something the first few years then get the big bucks!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is all this crap about an injury buy out? The way around that problem is simply called an " injury insurance policy".
This wasn't just Denny Green blowing his mouth off. This was the organization setting the record straight.

You know what DG said has to be true. If it weren't, the Cards would look like idiots.
I wonder how much interest is lost on a million dollars for every day he doesn't sign?
It kinda reminds me of a spoiled kid on his birthday and being handed the keys to a brand new Corvette only to hear him bitch about the color.

Cmon, Matt. Get your head out of your arse and get this thing done!

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I wonder how much interest is lost on a million dollars for every day he doesn't sign?

I think it's about $70 per million per day, so $70 * 14 = $980 per day?, but that doesn't account for just what he's getting this year in signing bonuses and first year salary. Really, you can only count the immediate upfront money and any paychecks he would have gotten while he is holding out....

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Look you know I'm not a Green fan, but no I don't think Green is wrong here. At some point Green has to act in the best interests of the team, and having Leinart playing catch with Az Hakim in LA is NOT the best interests of this team.

If Green felt we were lowballing him, he'd say so, he made it really clear. I don't have a problem with Green at all.

Boy I am very surprised that you, Russ...the ultimate voice of reason...would condone this media spanking by Dennis Green. It's a very bad way to do business...and the reality is NO ONE knows what the real structure of the contract is...OBVIOUSLY, with $14M up front and #5 money in the back, there's something sticky in the structure. Tom Condon is no fool.

Because of whatever it is that is sticky...for Green to imply to the NFL world that Matt Leinart is stalling on a $14M guaranteed contract with Top 5 money on the back...without revealing what the sticking point is...is unconscionable...and nothing short of egregious propoganda...and a manipluation of the media to put pressure on the Leinart camp.

There are two sides to every story...and while I have admonished Leinart all along for drawing this kind of attention to himself by holding out and further enhancing his reputation as a prima donna...there is NO way DG should ever manipulate the media at a player's expense this way.

You're being a homer this time around, Russ.

And NO...this is not a vendetta against Green... I have ben very positive about this off-season...still a little worried about his coaching decisions...but I have been hoping for the best. Today's outburst was inexcusable...I don't care if he's Bill Parcells or Don Shula...

leinart7

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Boy I am very surprised that you, Russ...the ultimate voice of reason...would condone this media spanking by Dennis Green. It's a very bad way to do business...and the reality is NO ONE knows what the real structure of the contract is...OBVIOUSLY, with $14M up front and #5 money in the back, there's something sticky in the structure. Tom Condon is no fool.

Because of whatever it is that is sticky...for Green to imply to the NFL world that Matt Leinart is stalling on a $14M guaranteed contract with Top 5 money on the back...without revealing what the sticking point is...is unconscionable...and nothing short of egregious propoganda...and a manipluation of the media to put pressure on the Leinart camp.

There are two sides to every story...and while I have admonished Leinart all along for drawing this kind of attention to himself by holding out and further enhancing his reputation as a prima donna...there is NO way DG should ever manipulate the media at a player's expense this way.

And NO...this is not a vendetta against Green... I have ben very positive about this off-season...still a little worried about his coaching decisions...but I have been hoping for the best. Today's outburst was inexcusable...I don't care if he's Bill Parcells or Don Shula...

Today's calculated "outburst" is going to end the Matt Leinart hold out 1 way or another. He will sign or he'll be going back into the draft or be traded at some point. Green did this as a signal that that's it. We've gone as far as we can. It's over.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Can we stop with the idea that he's going back into the draft? IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! If that was the intention why buy a house in AZ? Just for appearances? That's just rediculous.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:

Green said he didn't want to talk contract to the media. As for the sticking points, Condon says it's structure, to me that implies we're expecting Matt to earn the incentives on the field, they're expecting us to hand it to him because he slipped in the draft and we got a bargain. That's NOT how the NFL works.

Personally as much as I dislike green, I have to believe HE knows the real structure of the offer, so if he comes out this strongly in support of the Cards, I gotta believe he believes it's a fair offer.

If green had called him a primadonna, or made a Paris Hilton comment, i'd have a different take, but Green simply said look, he was the 10th pick, we've offered him better than #10 money, I don't know what else to say.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
weird timing - all i've heard today is optimism that a deal was imminent

either leinart is going to sign today and green wanted to talk tough before the inevitable or green just shot his mouth off at the worse possible time and it may drive leinarts camp back into retreat for a couple days out of pure ego

living in MN during the end of his time with the vikes, it's nice to see that denny is still kind of insane

Why is it or does it just seem like we always have problems with our signing picks? Are we the last team that had a QB sit out the season with Kelly Stouffer? If the offer is as good as Green says (good as top 5) then it seems it is not the Cards fault. Maybe it is my imagination but on the few occasions I have seen Leinhart on TV he did not seem all that excited about being a Card. T.O. shows more excitement about his new team. How does a 10th rd pick turn down 13 mil guarantee? I just do not get it. We need this guy real bad but there is a limit to everything in life.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
Mitch said:

You are on your own here Mitch, the Cards have put a good deal on the table, and It's time for Leinart to be called on the carpet. The organization had been taking some heat, and he alleviated that by showing the Cardinals had put a decent deal on the table.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, I don't think you have a vendetta against Green. However, I think you're wrong about this being "egregious propoganda" and a bad way to do business.

I'm glad that Green spoke out. This board -- and the Arizona sports community as a whole -- has frequently claimed that the Cards are shortchanging Leinart. The cone of silence that had dropped over negotiations only benefited Leinart. Everyone assumed that the Cards were cheap SOBs that wouldn't pay ML his coin. The Leinart team were happy to keep the numbers quiet, knowing that his failure to sign would stir further discontent among the press and the fans. And they'd keep upping their demands. As long as no real $$$ numbers came out, they had public opinion on their side.

"Today's outburst was inexcusable": Well, yeah, if you're part of the Leinart negotiating team. Otherwise, why not? Leinart isn't gonna stay out of camp longer because the statement was made. You think, maybe, Green's statement will cause fans to hate Leinart if he becomes our QBOF and leads us to victory? No and no.

I say, let Green go ahead and shed as much light as he can on the negotiations. Give us every dollar sign, every option, every piece of info that's out there. Then let the world see if it's Bill Bidwill or Tom Condon that's causing the delay in getting ML into camp....

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ReddBird said:
Mitch, I don't think you have a vendetta against Green. However, I think you're wrong about this being "egregious propoganda" and a bad way to do business.

I'm glad that Green spoke out. This board -- and the Arizona sports community as a whole -- has frequently claimed that the Cards are shortchanging Leinart. The cone of silence that had dropped over negotiations only benefited Leinart. Everyone assumed that the Cards were cheap SOBs that wouldn't pay ML his coin. The Leinart team were happy to keep the numbers quiet, knowing that his failure to sign would stir further discontent among the press and the fans. And they'd keep upping their demands. As long as no real $$$ numbers came out, they had public opinion on their side.

"Today's outburst was inexcusable": Well, yeah, if you're part of the Leinart negotiating team. Otherwise, why not? Leinart isn't gonna stay out of camp longer because the statement was made. You think, maybe, Green's statement will cause fans to hate Leinart if he becomes our QBOF and leads us to victory? No and no.

I say, let Green go ahead and shed as much light as he can on the negotiations. Give us every dollar sign, every option, every piece of info that's out there. Then let the world see if it's Bill Bidwill or Tom Condon that's causing the delay in getting ML into camp....

AMEN!!!:thumbup:

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
IMO, from the perspective of a professional negotiator, Green's comments were a brilliant chess move. Condon had been able to use Bickley to put pressure on the Cardinals; Navarre played badly; and momentum seemed to have shifted to Matt.

Green turned that around adroitly, by positioning the Cards as fair, Condon as greedy, and Matt as having a less than desirable desire to excel.

I say well done, DG.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Red Line said:
IMO, as a professional negotiator, Green's comments were a brilliant chess move. Condon had been able to use Bickley to put pressure on the Cardinals; Navarre had played badly; and momentum seemed to have shifted to Matt. Green turned that around adroitly, by positioning the Cards as fair, Condon as greedy, and Matt as having a less than desirable desire to excel. I say well done, DG. It now seems the Cardinals are being fair and judicious. The incentives disagreement is more ego than real. Matt needs to make a move. His image is under question. A quick signing will solve this problem.

Wow. Two great posts in a row from people who don't post here very often. We need to see more of you two.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am here nor there on this issue.

On one hand i would like to see how this 14 Mill gauranteed is laid out. 9 Mill will be signing bonus becuase that is all we can afford according to the rookie cap. So hwat is the other 5 Mill in gauranteed and how can he get that money. I is a roster bonus spread out over the next 2 years or is it a roster bonus for the year 2011. How hard or how easy are the incentives. How hard or how easy is it for him to be paid like the #5 draft pick. So telling me 14 mill or top 5 pick money doesnt really tell me much, but it does sound promising.

But Greens outburst doesnt really hurt the negotiations either. Condon has said some snide remarks about the negotiations as well so turn about is fair play. And these guys are professionals and both sides do want to get a deal done so I doubt this will hurt negotiations at all. For example Matt has been in the valley for a week now so he isnt partying it up in hollywood or anything and he was also here till the very last minute the cards went up to flag spending all of his time at the training facility thrown balls and watching film with Pope and Watkins, so i believe he truely wants to be here.

Just to play psychologist here, I dont even think this outburst has as much to do about Matt as it does that Green finally has to give up on his Navarre experiment, and he is feeling the heat to win as he should, I like the spunk that I am hearing from Denny this year..

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Green is not the first coach to get emotional over a draft pick holdout, he will not be the last. I think this has zero impact outside of messageboards and sports talk radio.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Green is not the first coach to get emotional over a draft pick holdout...
What's notable is that DG has long supported "a player's right to get whatever he can for himself and his family." He tends to stay out of salary disputes; preferring instead, to focus on "the guys we have available in camp."

So for Dennis to voice frustration over Leinart's absence is significant.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Big Red Line said:
and Matt as having a less than desirable desire to excel.

I was up with you until here.

Matt does want to excell without question, he has been in the valley the past week, and has one of the best attendance records for working out our at the teams training facility to workout before training camp, all the way up to the day before training camp he was there training and watching film.

This is a business and Matt is relying on his business managers on business issues. As would anyone else in this situation.

I am not going to fault Matt or the Cards on this issue.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I am here nor there on this issue.
Just FYI--

You're neither here nor there.

And points are never mute, they're are sometimes, however, moot.

:D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
How are DG's comments going to help the situation? They are not.
If reports are true (that leinart is signed), then they certainly didn't hurt.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If reports are true (that leinart is signed), then they certainly didn't hurt.

Conceivably Condon and Graves both might not have even hear Greens comments before a deal was struck. The deal was struck most likely hours ago becuase this stuff has to go through both sides legal departments before they agree on it. I would believe that the deal was probably struck at about Noon or so, and Graves and Condon were most likely in a meeting the whole time during the interview making finishing details. That would be pretty funny.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I was up with you until here.

Matt does want to excell without question, he has been in the valley the past week, and has one of the best attendance records for working out our at the teams training facility to workout before training camp, all the way up to the day before training camp he was there training and watching film.

This is a business and Matt is relying on his business managers on business issues. As would anyone else in this situation.

I am not going to fault Matt or the Cards on this issue.

Joe, Ben Maller was reporting this morning that Matt has been in LA for several days working out with Az hakim, where did you hear he's been in the Valley?

Glad it's over, much as I'm not a Green fan, I think his outburst clearly accelerated the outcome.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Joe, Ben Maller was reporting this morning that Matt has been in LA for several days working out with Az hakim, where did you hear he's been in the Valley?

Glad it's over, much as I'm not a Green fan, I think his outburst clearly accelerated the outcome.

On the radio this morning. Maybe a week was to long, I believe they said he has been in town since Thurday or Friday.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
leinart7 said:
Today's calculated "outburst" is going to end the Matt Leinart hold out 1 way or another. He will sign or he'll be going back into the draft or be traded at some point. Green did this as a signal that that's it. We've gone as far as we can. It's over.

Wow. Spot on. I was in agreement with you when you wrote this, but you deserve the bump.

Nice call, rookie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05