Cardinals sign CB Fred Bennett

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kelvin Hayden >>>> Fred Bennett

Unimpressive signing when we have a big need and a much better player is available. Not good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We've been saying that a lot the last few days. :(

If he is still on the roster after the last wave of cuts hits, you are more than welcome to complain. Until then, lets pretend that this is a reps signing and nothing more.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Never heard of him. I figure it's just a depth signing until something better comes along.

I really dont think Horton wants to stand pat with what we have, we were already thin, I think they are just waiting to see if any decent CB's are cut, which is not likely.

Not sure what were gonna do about this predicament we're in, oh well, will hope for the best.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If he is still on the roster after the last wave of cuts hits, you are more than welcome to complain. Until then, lets pretend that this is a reps signing and nothing more.

Let's wait until I complain about him before you complain about my complaining about him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Let's wait until I complain about him before you complain about my complaining about him.

Oh I have no complaint about your complaining. I am just holding out hope for a better option after final cuts come in. If not, my voice will be echoing yours.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh I have no complaint about your complaining. I am just holding out hope for a better option after final cuts come in. If not, my voice will be echoing yours.

But I wasn't complaining about anything. It just sucks :( that we've had to go out and get these guys. That's all there was to it.

Well OK I was complaining about the friggin' injuries we've had if you want to look at it that way.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't know anything about him. Clean slate in my book. Might suck. Might be serviceable. Not a rookie. Hasn't played much the past couple of years, and is probably hungry to step out on the field. Entering his prime years whatever that is for him.

Decent size. Perhaps with some better coaching, and if Horton gives him that, he might turn out as a decent bottom of the depth chart corner.

Here's his nfl profile page
http://www.nfl.com/player/fredbennett/2495548/profile

I'm sure we'd all want better, but at this point I don't think we're looking to spend what some of the 'used to fat contract' players out there right now probably want, nor unsettle things in future years. I see most of the guys we go after are the 1-2 year type minimum-ish contracts. Hopefully we picked wisely.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But I wasn't complaining about anything. It just sucks :( that we've had to go out and get these guys. That's all there was to it.

Well OK I was complaining about the friggin' injuries we've had if you want to look at it that way.

Worst preseason I can recall. :bang: These injuries are a total bummer.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As I see it, this may be a temporary move until something better comes along.

Agreed.

But, with the quickness that the Cardinals signed this player, I give a kudos to the front office, and scouting department for having their ducks in a row.

You get a week to evaluate the guy, and another week to see who gets cut.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wanted the Cards to draft him when he was available. He was pretty good in college, which menas nothing to the NFL. He can be a good dime back.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wanted the Cards to draft him when he was available. He was pretty good in college, which menas nothing to the NFL. He can be a good dime back.

Yep back of the depth chart guy. Not a maker breaker, but he does have some talent. This is better than signing Rashad Barksdale/Tru McBride or bringing in Tito Paul (who is the single worst corner I've ever seen).

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hate it when the Cardinals sign mediocre nobodies. If your gonna make an effort, go full out and get the Best available. Your telling me after scowering the earth for a replacement CB you came to the conclusion that Fred Bennett was the best option?

Im really looking forward to our 5-11 year

Go to ESPN and check what's available in FA at CB, and draw your own conclusions. Cuts are the best option at this point.

5-11 or 11-5 - who knows? Not you or me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agreed.

But, with the quickness that the Cardinals signed this player, I give a kudos to the front office, and scouting department for having their ducks in a row.

You get a week to evaluate the guy, and another week to see who gets cut.

You are right they do deserve kudos for moving quickly. The Cardinals have been doing that for several years now. Remember back before Denny Green a guy would get injured and the Cards would drag their feet getting a replacement?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am thinking Hayden's knee is shot. Just a guess.

You are probably correct. Both the Bears and the Chiefs brought in Hayden for a workout, and both passed for what is being called "medical concerns".

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Hayden's knee is shot, then I withdraw my statement. We are still 9 milllion under the cap. I hope we spend it on some quality players that get cut in the coming week.

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey if Bennett turns out like Lenon I'll be happy. We need depth and Lenon is solid coming off the bench.
Ummm Lenon is a starter not a bench guy, Bennett has been awful as a starter. I am still under the impression that the waiver wire after Thursday will be the best bet, still think we should sign Renaldo Hill, 32 or not he is still capable and better tha n Bennett(yes inknow he is a safety, but he can play CB).

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I hope this signing isn't indicative of what the Cards are trying to do. Bennett was cut by one of the worst teams in the league, so that just gives you an idea of his amazing talent...With Saturday's cuts coming up, I really hope Graves' complacency doesn't affect the team's chances of signing an actual quality CB. Our secondary consists of a raw rookie, and UDFA with 2 games under his belt, and a couple scrubs. Not the most aspirational line up...certainly nothing to be excited over, or even confident for that matter.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ummm Lenon is a starter not a bench guy, Bennett has been awful as a starter. I am still under the impression that the waiver wire after Thursday will be the best bet, still think we should sign Renaldo Hill, 32 or not he is still capable and better tha n Bennett(yes inknow he is a safety, but he can play CB).

Been there, done that... no thanks.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I hope this signing isn't indicative of what the Cards are trying to do. Bennett was cut by one of the worst teams in the league, so that just gives you an idea of his amazing talent...With Saturday's cuts coming up, I really hope Graves' complacency doesn't affect the team's chances of signing an actual quality CB. Our secondary consists of a raw rookie, and UDFA with 2 games under his belt, and a couple scrubs. Not the most aspirational line up...certainly nothing to be excited over, or even confident for that matter.

Especially when compared to the Eagles with Asomugha, Samuel and DRC.