Cardinals sign CB Fred Bennett

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this signing isn't indicative of what the Cards are trying to do. Bennett was cut by one of the worst teams in the league, so that just gives you an idea of his amazing talent...With Saturday's cuts coming up, I really hope Graves' complacency doesn't affect the team's chances of signing an actual quality CB. Our secondary consists of a raw rookie, and UDFA with 2 games under his belt, and a couple scrubs. Not the most aspirational line up...certainly nothing to be excited over, or even confident for that matter.

Yea because he has bee so "complacent" this off season. And to boot those that I bolded above happen to just grow on trees.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Yea because he has bee so "complacent" this off season. And to boot those that I bolded above happen to just grow on trees.
I'm pretty sure most would agree that after the slew of signings at the start of FA, Graves has been extremely complacent going forward. It's like he started a marathon and sprinted the first half, then completely died and never finished the race. You can't seriously be excited about the Bennett pick-up, if anything, he'll be gone by season's open. When your team really doesn't even have one glorified starter at CB, you think you would be a little worried. Again, I'm still assuming this signing will be insignificant, and their real goal is to get at least a 'starting' quality CB once the cuts are made on Saturday.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most would agree that after the slew of signings at the start of FA, Graves has been extremely complacent going forward. It's like he started a marathon and sprinted the first half, then completely died and never finished the race. You can't seriously be excited about the Bennett pick-up, if anything, he'll be gone by season's open. When your team really doesn't even have one glorified starter at CB, you think you would be a little worried. Again, I'm still assuming this signing will be insignificant, and their real goal is to get at least a 'starting' quality CB once the cuts are made on Saturday.

No I think he was far from "complacent" all off season.

I dont think anyone has said they are "excited" about this signing.

How many "starting" caliber CBs do you expect to be cut? If they are starting caliber why are they being cut?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

did you bother reading what he wrote Shane?

Here it is - in the first sentence of his response:
"I'm pretty sure most would agree that after the slew of signings at the start of FA, Graves has been extremely complacent going forward. It's like he started a marathon and sprinted the first half, then completely died and never finished the race."

dude specifically said he was complacent AFTER the start of the FA. why would you respond about Graves being complacent "all off season" when the poster never came close to making that statement?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

"I'm pretty sure most would agree that after the slew of signings at the start of FA, Graves has been extremely complacent going forward. It's like he started a marathon and sprinted the first half, then completely died and never finished the race."

dude specifically said he was complacent AFTER the start of the FA. why would you respond about Graves being complacent "all off season" when the poster never came close to making that statement?

Because he's been wearing himself out on the Redskins Board bashing Roy Helu.

:p

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read it and still disagree. I think what transpired over the rest of the off season had little to do with complacency.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

I dont think anyone has said they are "excited" about this signing.

How many "starting" caliber CBs do you expect to be cut? If they are starting caliber why are they being cut?
Why did Dallas just cut a pro bowl Center? Simple; salary cap reasons, needs for other positions etc.. While I don't expect a ton of good CB's to be cut, there will most certainly be better options than Bennett. Why have the Giants not signed 4 CB's, after losing 4 to injuries? Again, simple, they're waiting for Saturday's cuts, because there will be good, viable replacements. Question is, will the Cards make an aggressive effort to improve the CB position, time will tell.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did Dallas just cut a pro bowl Center? Simple; salary cap reasons, needs for other positions etc.. While I don't expect a ton of good CB's to be cut, there will most certainly be better options than Bennett. Why have the Giants not signed 4 CB's, after losing 4 to injuries? Again, simple, they're waiting for Saturday's cuts, because there will be good, viable replacements. Question is, will the Cards make an aggressive effort to improve the CB position, time will tell.

Oh sorry now you are privy to the thinking and overall startegy of the Giants front office. Why even debate with inside info like that? :D

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Oh sorry now you are privy to the thinking and overall startegy of the Giants front office. Why even debate with inside info like that? :D
Thats a secret I'm unwilling to discuss :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it and still disagree. I think what transpired over the rest of the off season had little to do with complacency.

you read it and changed what the guy said. and we've lost three players, two starters and a rookie who was winning raves in camp and replaced them with nothing but guys we've previously decided weren't good enough to make the team so we already cut them. maybe you're right, but there definitely seems to be evidence to suggest what asu is saying ain't all that out of line.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you read it and changed what the guy said. and we've lost three players, two starters and a rookie who was winning raves in camp and replaced them with nothing but guys we've previously decided weren't good enough to make the team so we already cut them. maybe you're right, but there definitely seems to be evidence to suggest what asu is saying ain't all that out of line.

I can see you guys having your opinion. I just simply dont agree. Also I just dont see anything outside of a trade that is really all that enticing out there.

Not a big fan of aging veteran retreads. We have enough of those on the team ala Joey Porter :D

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Given that there is no real shortage of $$$ across the league, one can expect that cuts will come largely because players got beat out for jobs. Can the Cards improve their lot? We will see, but I doubt that failure will be because of complacency. More likely, tough competition for scarce human resources.

There are 15 teams with more CAP space than the CARDS

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/29/updated-salary-cap-space-numbers-for-all-32-teams/

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most would agree that after the slew of signings at the start of FA, Graves has been extremely complacent going forward.

Yeah, it's a shame he didn't do anything like lock up our franchise player for the rest of his career or anything after the free agent frenzy. Stupid Graves!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a shame he didn't do anything like lock up our franchise player for the rest of his career or anything after the free agent frenzy. Stupid Graves!
I was referring to getting new players...:mulli:

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
At this juncture, Champ Bailey isn't walking through the door. Anyone we sign is not going to have a sexy name. Sorry, this is not Madden, this is real life NFL football where you can't make any transaction you want.
Then I suggest you don't watch any games this season so you don't come back here and complain, like you have been doing ever since you joined.
that is all Black T does!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I was referring to getting new players...:mulli:

I know what you were referring to, I just didn't think the criticism was all that just given Graves has done exactly what he said he was going to do. Graves said he was going to be active in free agency and was, then said they were done making major moves and focusing on Larry and did, then said they would keep an eye who was available and could fill a specific role/need and I think they are doing that (we can agree to disagree on the final point).

I said when people were trying to predict rosters wayyyy too early that I was sure there would be at least one or two guys on the final roster not yet here when camp started. Fred Bennett could be one of those guys if he comes in and shows something -- but I think there will be 1 or 2 others on our final roster not here yet.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's pretty shocking that 10 years later, we're not just depending on June 1st cuts to fill out our roster of guys who will probably play, but September cuts. :barf:

When you fail to plan, you plan to fail. A.J. Jefferson is our #1 cornerback right now. :bang:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see you guys having your opinion. I just simply dont agree. Also I just dont see anything outside of a trade that is really all that enticing out there.

what about the 27 year old S the Pats just cut who had 3 picks, 6 pd and a touchdown last season? you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Rashod Johnson?

Brian Westbrook wouldn't be an upgrade over... uh... no one? eh... maybe not westbrook. only dude he played well against last year was US. But Portis is better than nothing and available.

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about the 27 year old S the Pats just cut who had 3 picks, 6 pd and a touchdown last season? you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Rashod Johnson?

Brian Westbrook wouldn't be an upgrade over... uh... no one?

No I really like the Pats safety... Just dont think he fits if you plan on Wilson coming back.. he is a starter.. hes not gonna sign here to back up Rhodes and Wilson. Lets be realistic.

And no I dont think Brian Westbrook has anything left. besides he is a concussion machine. Those scare you the most right?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I want to know who you guys want us to get right now who's better than Bennett. It's always the same recycled criticism from some of you when the Cardinals sign someone but you seldom or never put any information out there as to who you would rather have them sign.

Sure Bennett isn't great but what are our other options at this point?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty shocking that 10 years later, we're not just depending on June 1st cuts to fill out our roster of guys who will probably play, but September cuts. :barf:

When you fail to plan, you plan to fail. A.J. Jefferson is our #1 cornerback right now. :bang:

It's amazing how hindsight is always 20 -20.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's amazing how hindsight is always 20 -20.

ya it's a shame this isn't Madden and you can sign every single guy that plays for you, still make a total killing in trades and FA and still be under the salary cap.

These guys are never gonna get over Rolle and Dansby, that's why were still seeing people crying about it in threads in 2011, even though everyone forgets that our defense was lousy with those guys too. I just dont see the point in sitting here going; ok this is what the Cardinals should have done because they should have known that Williams, Wilson, and Toler were all going to go down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I really like the Pats safety... Just dont think he fits if you plan on Wilson coming back.. he is a starter.. hes not gonna sign here to back up Rhodes and Wilson. Lets be realistic.

depending on AW ISN'T realistic Shane. And if he does come back, he's not going to be close to a 100% all season. That's like saying we weren't going to get anyone to kill Hayes slot last year because he was the starter. we already know it's a long-shot for AW to come back and an even longer shot for him to ever be healthy this season.

And no I dont think Brian Westbrook has anything left. besides he is a concussion machine. Those scare you the most right?

RE-READ post again. And depending on concussion machines to START scares the piss out of me. back-ups you roll the dice. and regardless of that, he's got more in the tank left than literally nothing which is what we have backing up beanie right now. same goes for Portis or Lawrence Maroney.

at CB we're just screwed and we're the second the second we decided that Marshall, AJ Jefferson and an injured Mike Adams were our depth. nothing to be done about that.

but at S and RB, you bet your ass there's guys out there that are literally better than our starters or our depth (of which there's none at RB).