Cardinals sign CB Fred Bennett

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Decent depth signing. He struggled mightily in coverage in the past, but he's a step up from Marshay Green.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Decent depth signing. He struggled mightily in coverage in the past, but he's a step up from Marshay Green.

But he's also made plays in the NFL before, accounting for 5 interceptions in the two seasons he's gotten playoff time.

He's part of the new breed of corners that this team is going after, bigger corners with speed. Supposedly, Bennett has flashes where he plays really well, but then loses technique and sucks. Not too promising but better than a UDFA.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Our new DB coach most of liked him since he was in Cincy, which is a good sign IMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Our DB depth is back baby!!!!!!

But sadly our shallowth isn't.

A raw rookie, the NFLs toughest mini-nickel coming off ACL surgery, mini-nickel Jr., an undrafted free agent who has played 2 NFL games, a castoff from the worst team in the NFL last season and now a castoff from the worst organization in football who essentially hasn't played since 2009 when he was part of the perennially worst secondary in the NFL in Houston .

:(

Last edited:

Black T

Reaction score
Hate it when the Cardinals sign mediocre nobodies. If your gonna make an effort, go full out and get the Best available. Your telling me after scowering the earth for a replacement CB you came to the conclusion that Fred Bennett was the best option?

Im really looking forward to our 5-11 year

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate it when the Cardinals sign mediocre nobodies. If your gonna make an effort, go full out and get the Best available. Your telling me after scowering the earth for a replacement CB you came to the conclusion that Fred Bennett was the best option?

As I see it, this may be a temporary move until something better comes along.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But sadly our shallowth isn't.

A raw rookie, the NFLs toughest mini-nickel coming off ACL surgery, mini-nickel Jr., an undrafted free agent who has played 2 NFL games, a castoff from the worst team in the NFL last season and now a castoff from the worst organization in football who essentially hasn't played since 2009 when he was part of the perennially worst secondary in the NFL in Houston .

:(

well... when you put it that way!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

At this juncture, Champ Bailey isn't walking through the door. Anyone we sign is not going to have a sexy name. Sorry, this is not Madden, this is real life NFL football where you can't make any transaction you want.
Then I suggest you don't watch any games this season so you don't come back here and complain, like you have been doing ever since you joined.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a good signing with our situation IMO, can't bring in a headliner right now without some kind of hardcore trade that would also probably upset some of the masses. This guy has shown talent, now he gets a chance to show it here, he's not a scrub and we don't have anything to lose bringing him in. See how he does type of thing, Holliday has grown on me so I will wait and see how he does his job.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It all comes down to if we have a pass rush. It will not matter who is back there if we cannot get heat on the QB. If we can, players like Bennet will be fine along with Jefferson and Peterson. And please before some people start, don't tell me they will then suck because we do not have a pass rush...this season needs to start first for that conclusion. For the point we are at in the season and the options, I like the signing.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's a good signing with our situation IMO, can't bring in a headliner right now without some kind of hardcore trade that would also probably upset some of the masses. This guy has shown talent, now he gets a chance to show it here, he's not a scrub and we don't have anything to lose bringing him in. See how he does type of thing, Holliday has grown on me so I will wait and see how he does his job.

Yeah there just hasn't been time to do anything. That's why Toler's injury hurts so bad coming only 13 days before opening kickoff. I don't think we could have gone into Thursday's game with only 4 CBs. Regular season maybe but I don't think you want one of your top 3 CBs on the field in the 4th Quarter of pre season game 4.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
At this juncture, Champ Bailey isn't walking through the door. Anyone we sign is not going to have a sexy name. Sorry, this is not Madden, this is real life NFL football where you can't make any transaction you want.
Then I suggest you don't watch any games this season so you don't come back here and complain, like you have been doing ever since you joined.

Exactly. There likely isn't any starting caliber corners out there. Only guys left are #4/5 types probably and Bennett has a lot of experience to fill that role. Better than Ralph Brown.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It all comes down to if we have a pass rush. It will not matter who is back there if we cannot get heat on the QB. If we can, players like Bennet will be fine along with Jefferson and Peterson. And please before some people start, don't tell me they will then suck because we do not have a pass rush...this season needs to start first for that conclusion. For the point we are at in the season and the options, I like the signing.

It does matter because guys like Warner and Brees and Brady and Rivers and Rodgers will eat you alive if you don't have pass coverage. Those guys can get the ball out before even the best pass rushers can get to them unless the guy is unblocked and even then those guys can hit hot receivers more than you'd like as DC.

I don't understand the reasoning here on ASFN in this regard. Our offensive line sucked and it was only Warner's ability to get the ball out quickly that allowed him to attempt 740 passes and only be sacked 50 times on one hand.

Then on the other hand it doesn't matter who we have in the secondary if we don't have any pass rush.

You must have both. You need guys that can cover and guys that can pressure the passer so he 1. has to worry about O'Brien coming around the edge and 2. Can't just unpack his coleman grill and EZup while he looks for someplace to throw the football and 3. doesn't have guys wide open within a second of the snap of the football.

It all goes together.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah there just hasn't been time to do anything. That's why Toler's injury hurts so bad coming only 13 days before opening kickoff. I don't think we could have gone into Thursday's game with only 4 CBs. Regular season maybe but I don't think you want one of your top 3 CBs on the field in the 4th Quarter of pre season game 4.
We got what we got, I'm just glad Horton can't get injured. I can say that because the Duck jinx doesn't happen to me...Horton will still be healthy come playoff time, bank it! :D I still think our pass rush isn't as bad as others make it out to be (with a healthy Horton) but time will tell.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm surprised at some of the complaints. This is a cushion signing and a good one. He's a bandaid, and a completely necessary one, and in the meantime we can continue to "scour the earth" for a better CB. Until then, he was available and we nabbed him.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:championship:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Exactly. There likely isn't any starting caliber corners out there. Only guys left are #4/5 types probably and Bennett has a lot of experience to fill that role. Better than Ralph Brown.

Come on be nice. Ralph Brown played 10 years in the NFL and did an acceptable job for us. How can you knock one of only 3 Cardinal CBs in the history of the franchise to make a tackle in a Super Bowl?

Only Aeneas Williams has more interceptions by a CB in the post season for the Cardinals than Ralph Brown.

Ralph was a good guy. Too bad we couldn't have just brought him in to play against Seattle every season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We got what we got, I'm just glad Horton can't get injured. I can say that because the Duck jinx doesn't happen to me...Horton will still be healthy come playoff time, bank it! :D I still think our pass rush isn't as bad as others make it out to be (with a healthy Horton) but time will tell.

Horton sucks!

:D