Cardinals' Targets on Offense at #24 By Position

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here is what I am gathering about the players the Cardinals may be targeting at #24 in the upcoming NFL Draft.

QB at #24?

Well, the Cardinals did bring in Brett Hundley from UCLA last week. Now---could it be that they are legitimately considering him at #24?

Need?

I think that BA&SK feel the need is higher than we might think, especially based on recent injuries, contract and age concerns regarding Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton and their uncertainty regarding the prospects of last year's 4th round pick, Logan Thomas.

Thus, if Hundley were on the board at #24 and they like him well enough, would it be a total surprise if they took him? I say, no, it wouldn't be a total surprise.

It is also quite possible that the Cardinals are feigning interest in Hundley in order to attract teams to trade up for the #24 pick so that SK can do what he did last year---trade down to add an extra 3rd round pick.

Bottom Line: Hundley at #24?

I would say no for a couple of reasons: (1) BA has said in the past that when you draft a first round QB you do so with the intention of playing him asap. (2) Hundley doesn't quite seem to fit BA's profile for a QB whereas I think Bryce Petty, Sean Mannion and Garrett Grayson appear to be better fits.

RB at #24?

Todd Gurley, Georgia
Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin

Need?

Yes---but not quite as high as some may think. I think BA&SK already like the combination of Andre Ellington, Kerwynn Williams, Marion Grice and Robert Hughes. BA mentioned all four of them in his post FA interview---liking Ellington's speed, Williams' rushing between the tackles ability, Grice coming on as a goal-line RB and Hughes' power (BA said that "every time we handed him the ball he powered for good yards---we ought to hand the ball off more often to him.")

Gurley has the ACL limitations, but possesses All-World talent. Gordon is very gifted and super productive.

Bottom Line: Gurley or Gordon at #24?

I think not---especially seeing as BA already stated that there are 10 good RBs in rounds 2-4 that they said they like. However, the Cardinals once passed on Adrian Peterson because of injury concerns and thus with Gurley's talent, he might be the BPA if the board shakes out that way.

TE at #24?

Maxx Wlliams, Minnesota.

Need?

After using a 2nd round pick on troy Niklas and having seen real promise in Darren Fells---and BA said he expects John Carlson to have a much more productive year this year---I would say the need is not high. A TE in Day 3 is possible, but not in rounds 1-3.

Bottom Line: Williams at #24?

Highly doubtful.

WR at #24?

Devin Smith, Ohio St.
Breshad Perriman, Central Florida
Dorian Green-Beckham, Oklahoma

Need?

Higher than people may think. BA has cited the need to add speed at WR and thus i listed the three fastest deep threats who are likely to be on the board at #24.

Smith has an uncanny ability to get open deep and to track down deep passes. Perriman, who just ran a blistering 4.2 at his Pro Day is rising like mercury up draft boards. If his hands were a little more consistent he could be in the mix in the top half of the first round, as could DGB, who is the Randy Moss of this draft class---a WR with world class skills and off the field issues.

Bottom Line: Smith, Perriman or Green-Beckham at #24?

I think that if a desired pass rusher isn't there at #24, and any or all of these three WRs are there, there is a pretty good chance that BA&SK will add the deep speed wide-out dimension to the offense. Fitz only has two more years and is now a slot WR anyway and the Cardinals do have a 5th year option on Michael Floyd which means he might only have one or two years left on his deal.

OL at #24?

La'El Collins
Cameron Erving

Need?

With the additions of LG Mike Iupati and C/G A.Q. Shipley and the trust that RG Jonathan Cooper will carpe the diem this year, the offensive line has been sufficiently addressed this off-season. However, talents like Collins and Erving are pretty difficult to pass up if they are available.

Bottom Line: Collins or Erving at #24?

I do not think either one of them will be available...but of the two, if Erving makes it to #24, because of how dominant he looked at center and because of his unique versatility, he would have to be a very attractive choice.

Thus, if the Cardinals decide to take an offensive player at #24, I think the top choices would be:

1. Cameron Erving, C, Florida St.
2. Devin Smith, WR, Ohio St.
3. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundley at 24 would be Levi bad. Williams would also be a reach.

I'd be ok with any of the other ones. With Gordon, Erving, and or Green-Beckham as my favorites.

We have 2 of the 3 same top 3.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
mitch they had a private workout also with jaelen strong and dj humpries too,potential first rounder

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think you have a weird thing for trying to justify the 1st Round pick to be use on Wide Receivers. How many years, in a row, has this been... at least 3?

Yes, because our offense is too slow to beat the Seahawks and the best home run threat WRs go early.

However, last year I was hoping for OLB Dee Ford or SS Deone Bucannon. I was intrigued with WR Brandin Cooks, but I felt we could take a similar type later and we did in John Brown in Round 3, which was facilitated by SK's trade down which allowed to to take Bucannon later and Brown with the extra pick in Round 3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
mitch they had a private workout also with jaelen strong and dj humpries too,potential first rounder

I don't think Strong has the speed BA covets and Humphries is nowhere hear their top target at #24.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

QB - not a chance IMO

RB - Possible but I highly doubt it.

TE - What you said.

WR - I hope not. John Brown has the over the top speed we need and Floyd has good speed. Heck, even Fitz scored on a 80 yd TD catch where no one could catch him :)
I can see a speedster added on day 3 who can also return punts.

OL - This would be the unit I would like to see addressed in rd 1 if we don't go defense. Keep feeding the trenches, Shipley has Goodwin's vote of confidence but I think it's more of a bang for the buck kinda thing. We have zero depth at OT that I feel comfortable with. Cooper may or may not start playing like we expect. So yes the Oline has been addressed but there is still plenty of room for improvement and depth is needed.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Strong has the speed BA covets and Humphries is nowhere hear their top target at #24.

i dont say they are targets,,i say keim and arians showed interests at these 2 prospects

strong for his size has very good speed and his hands and leaping ability are outstanding

this is about dj humpries

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...phries-can-be-starting-left-tackle-from-day-1

others potential first rounder they invited for a visit were melvin gordon,tevin coleman

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
i dont say they are targets,,i say keim and arians showed interests at these 2 prospects

strong for his size has very good speed and his hands and leaping ability are outstanding

this is about dj humpries

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...phries-can-be-starting-left-tackle-from-day-1

others potential first rounder they invited for a visit were melvin gordon,tevin coleman

Gotchya. Thanks for the information. Much appreciated, juza76.

BTW---I like Jaelen Strong a lot---but the way BA was adamant about adding speed, I think the others I mentioned are the speedsters of the WR group.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

QB - not a chance IMO

RB - Possible but I highly doubt it.

TE - What you said.

WR - I hope not. John Brown has the over the top speed we need and Floyd has good speed. Heck, even Fitz scored on a 80 yd TD catch where no one could catch him :)

OL - This would be the unit I would like to see addressed in rd 1 if we don't go defense. Keep feeding the trenches, Shipley has Goodwin's vote of confidence but I think it's more of a bang for the buck kinda thing. We have zero depth at OT that I feel comfortable with. Cooper may or may not start playing like we expect. So yes the Oline has been addressed but there is still plenty of room for improvement and depth is needed.

John Brown is fast---but he's a small target and thus is not ideal for playing wide. Devin Smith is 4 inches taller and a far better tracker of the deep pass. As for Michael Floyd, is he fast enough to be the team's #1 deep threat? Do you think, for example, that Richard Sherman worries about Floyd's speed? We need a WR who will present problems for Sherman and others of his ilk.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

Good post as usual Mitch, but I disagree on Jaelen Strong. I thought he was plenty fast. Faster than Perriman and DGB, only slightly behind Devin Smith (http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php). He consistently beat coverage deep, that is why the back shoulder throw was so open. Taylor Kelly missed a ton of wide open deep balls to him. I like Strong better than all but Amari Cooper and Kevin White at WR.

I like the flexibility that the Cards have in this position. Owe that to Keim drafting well and maximizing free agent money on depth. I really do not feel that we have to draft any one position. My fave picks in the first would be Cameron Erving, Bud Dupree, Todd Gurley, and even though not a need I think Landon Collins will be a great pro, would love to get him. I wouldn't be upset with anyone except maybe a QB in round one.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I still can't see us taking a WR at #24 unless everything goes wrong with our draft board. I think if we go offense in round 1 it will be Erving. If he's gone CB, OLB, ILB, and maybe even NT are higher priorities than WR. If every guy we like from those positions is gone at 24 and we can't find a trade down we like then and only then do I see a WR.

Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

We also still have Brittan Golden don't we?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would pick Todd Gurley if he is there. Closest thing to AP in this draft for a fraction of the cost.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We also still have Brittan Golden don't we?

Yes and he is 5' 11" . Thing is BA has stated he wants to add speed to the roster and one of the positions he mentioned was WR. Mitch isn't out of control with his OP, I'm just hoping that they see someone they like that will be available in rd 4 or later.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
1. Cameron Erving, G/C
2. Todd Gurley, RB
3. Ereck Flowers, G/T
4. La'el Collins, G/T
5. DeVante Parker, WR

Mitch, not sure how you don't list Ereck Flowers on your list. I like him much better than La'el Collins, and think he is a better fit for our offense.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05