Cards release Shelton & Diamond

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm kind of indifferent about the move.

If Green didn't think Shelton bought the program and Green needed to cut the final "non-believer" on the team in order to make a statement, then I can understand the move.

At the same time the team has a lot room under the cap. There's still some confusing about the cap hit/release of cutting LJ, but the existing cap should be enough to sign Boldin. With this cap room, why not keep LJ? He can't beat out Big or Ross, but he's the best back-up on the team - no doubt. At least they could have waited until after training camp, in case Big got injured. If another LT gets injured - LJ might have some trade value, too.

In short... If Green felt it was nessecary then I understand it, BUT I do not understand the timing. The only positive about this timing is that Buffalo can't afford to sign him for another 13 days. The Bears or Dolphins will sign him within a couple of days.

Last edited:

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Great Move. We save $500,000 this year on Shelton and get all the dead weight off the cap this year. Green is almost done building his team ...

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
JPlay said:
It's smart why put it on the books for next year if we can afford it this year. This way we can sign some more FAs next year.

Our TE position is just getting worse. Talk about scrub city. Who are these group of nobodys. Will our TE position even get a catch this year. Maybe we should just go with all 3 and 4 reciever sets.

Diamond never did anything worthy of being a starter. He's an over-glorified UFA who made one good catch during a scrimmage. His being cut won't change anything.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't think it hurts our depth at all. First off, you don't want a backup making 3 million a year.He would be making more money than 3/5 of your starting OL. When Ian Allen was signed that provided the depth that is needed with release of LJ. Bridges,Allen,Leckey, and Wakefield will be the backup OL. I liked Shelton but there was obviously some problems between hm and Green so send him packing.His release will have zero effect on the Cards being NFC West champs this year.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I don't think it hurts our depth at all. First off, you don't want a backup making 3 million a year.
Why are fans so concerened about the money he'd make? It's not as if we're banging our heads against the cap cieling--the only people who would notice the difference in total salary for the team are the Bidwills--not the fans.

When Ian Allen was signed that provided the depth that is needed with release of LJ. Bridges,Allen,Leckey, and Wakefield will be the backup OL.
Yeah, they will be the backup oline. I, for one, don't think that's really as good as it could have been. LJ is better than all of those players. And for those of you screaming that LJ was mediocre at best, that may be...but what does it say about who's left?

His release will have zero effect on the Cards being NFC West champs this year.
I'll agree with that as long as the T position can stay healthy for 16 games.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
Without him, we are doomed to mediocrity!
I'm not sure I hear anyone saying that but those who are making fun of the people that rather would have retained Shelton (and I'm not sure why we'd be made fun of in the first place...we're all Cards fans, right?). I don't hear anyone saying we're "doomed" either.

Most people are saying Shelton would have been a good backup...in fact, our only good backup.

So, get off your high horse. The guy you didn't want on the team was cut. Good for you. You agree with it. I don't. Leave it at that, okay?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Pariah said:
Why are fans so concerened about the money he'd make? It's not as if we're banging our heads against the cap cieling--the only people who would notice the difference in total salary for the team are the Bidwills--not the fans.

Yeah, they will be the backup oline. I, for one, don't think that's really as good as it could have been. LJ is better than all of those players. And for those of you screaming that LJ was mediocre at best, that may be...but what does it say about who's left?

I'll agree with that as long as the T position can stay healthy for 16 games.

I just think it's a bad practice to have your backup earning more than your starter.It could cause friction in the clubhouse.Any starter could go in and demand to be paid more.I'm not saying it's a big factor but getting rid of any potential problems is probably a good move.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Ofcourse he's a backup. We have Willis McGahee. Obviously you haven't been watching football long enough, or else you would've seen Henry in the Pro Bowl and rushing for 1300+ yards

Uh, he was a 1300+ RB like 3 years ago....wasn't Eddie George a good runningback 3 years ago too.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess we're past the Buffalo trollers and it's OK to post again.

On Shelton - Nice guy. Liked him. Didn't work out for us. That's show biz. He's history. Old news. Don't look back. Next.

On the Cap hit - I buy into Rod's explanation that we'd have to take all or part of the hit this year or next year and we had the luxury of saving some of next year's cap room and could afford to do the classy thing by taking care of business right now.

On Henry - See Shelton

On Diamond (i.e. the TE position): This is one spot on our roster where both talent and depth remains a huge questionmark. ("Questionmark":- as in: "We won't know whether we've got anyone decent til somewhere during training camp.").

Whether weakness at TE should be considered a major Achilles Heel depends on your football philosophy. Personally, I think this is one position on the roster where at the very least, you can plug in a good blocker and your offense can still get by (Not that I wouldn't love to have a Tony Gonzalez at TE - I just don't feel the position is pivotal to our offense).

Final point perhaps overlooked. I get the sense that Rod and Dennis may feel that they were very close to turning the corner in accomplishing the total revamping of both the personnel and mindset of the Cardinal franchise and LJ represented one final loose end. Time will prove whether or not they're right, but I think this was the psychology may have at least partly driven their decision to release LJ early.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The fact that a Henry-Shelton trade was in the works doesn't make everything a zero-sum game between the Cards and the Bills. Drafting a RB instead of having to resign Henry at the end of the season... Taking the cap hit on Shelton now instead of next season... I sense a pattern. Whether Buffalo signs LJ or not is really of no consequence to the Cardinals plans.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I guess we're past the Buffalo trollers and it's OK to post again.

On Shelton - Nice guy. Liked him. Didn't work out for us. That's show biz. He's history. Old news. Don't look back. Next.

On the Cap hit - I buy into Rod's explanation that we'd have to take all or part of the hit this year or next year and we had the luxury of saving some of next year's cap room and could afford to do the classy thing by taking care of business right now.

On Henry - See Shelton

On Diamond (i.e. the TE position): This is one spot on our roster where both talent and depth remains a huge questionmark. ("Questionmark":- as in: "We won't know whether we've got anyone decent til somewhere during training camp.").

Whether weakness at TE should be considered a major Achilles Heel depends on your football philosophy. Personally, I think this is one position on the roster where at the very least, you can plug in a good blocker and your offense can still get by (Not that I wouldn't love to have a Tony Gonzalez at TE - I just don't feel the position is pivotal to our offense).

Final point perhaps overlooked. I get the sense that Rod and Dennis may feel that they were very close to turning the corner in accomplishing the total revamping of both the personnel and mindset of the Cardinal franchise and LJ represented one final loose end. Time will prove whether or not they're right, but I think this was the psychology may have at least partly driven their decision to release LJ early.

Voice of Reason!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I just think it's a bad practice to have your backup earning more than your starter.It could cause friction in the clubhouse.Any starter could go in and demand to be paid more.I'm not saying it's a big factor but getting rid of any potential problems is probably a good move.

So you want to cut Bryant Johnson? We should have cut King last year he was making more than Josh. Bryant made more than either Dockett or Davis, Pace made more than Zellner.

Shelton wasn't cut because of his salary he was cut because he and Green aren't on the "same page."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Uh, he was a 1300+ RB like 3 years ago....wasn't Eddie George a good runningback 3 years ago too.

Insider says today the Titans did offer Buffalo a 5th rounder on draft day for Henry and they said no. Brown broke a bone in his hand yesterday, they don't know how it impacts talks for Henry because Brown is only expected to miss a month. Henry has repeated his promise to sit out camp if he's not traded, and Philly is essentially out of the running as they expect Westbrook to sign his RFA tender as both sides continue to work on a long term deal.

Looks like Buffalo and the Titans are in the same boat we were, the deal appears to make sense for both sides, but neither side is all that enamored with the player and doesn't want to give up much since the player might wind up released (or hold out).

If Buffalo can't get better than a #5 pick for Henry I'd say they blew it by not taking Shelton, who'd almost assuredly have been their starting LT this year considering what they have there now.

Reaction score
Shelton saga in a nutshell:

Shelton - average LT, didn't play up to potential... Problem with him is that he should have been so much better. He wasn't because LJ doesn't play the game with passion.
I think that Denny would rather have a guy with average skill and talent that plays with passion, than someone with above average ability who goes through the motions as though "it's just my job".

Regarding Diamond:

Cardinals still have 5 TE's on the roster after releasing Diamond (Edwards, Blizzard, Bergan, Bronson, Golliday). Nothing more need be said!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'm not sure I hear anyone saying that but those who are making fun of the people that rather would have retained Shelton (and I'm not sure why we'd be made fun of in the first place...we're all Cards fans, right?). I don't hear anyone saying we're "doomed" either.

Most people are saying Shelton would have been a good backup...in fact, our only good backup.

So, get off your high horse. The guy you didn't want on the team was cut. Good for you. You agree with it. I don't. Leave it at that, okay?
Who's on their high horse? I never said I "didn't want Shelton on the team". Shelton said it when he asked to pursue a trade. Spin it however you want, if someone wants to be traded then he is sending a message loud and clear that he wants out. Why anyone would want a player like that on their team is beyond me.

A disgruntled player is not going to make a "good backup". Just ask Buffalo about that.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So you want to cut Bryant Johnson? We should have cut King last year he was making more than Josh. Bryant made more than either Dockett or Davis, Pace made more than Zellner.

Shelton wasn't cut because of his salary he was cut because he and Green aren't on the "same page."
After Boldin's extension, BJ will rightly be the 3rd highest paid WR on the team.Yes, we should've and did cut King. Bryant and Pace may be the next two out the door.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
After Boldin's extension, BJ will rightly be the 3rd highest paid WR on the team.Yes, we should've and did cut King. Bryant and Pace may be the next two out the door.

We signed King last year to a contract for more money than the guy he was signed to backup.

And for the record, Shelton does not make more money than either Big or Ross so he wouldn't be backing up guys who make less than him. He does make MORE than Step, Wells and Brown/Bridges maybe you mean them.

Last edited:

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
clif said:
10 seconds left before billsphan shows up gloating ..9....8....7...
LOL

<gloating>
Donahoe doesn't know what the hell he's doing!

I can see now why the Cards organization was so indignant about the Bills not wanting to trade for this potential pro bowler.
</gloating>

OK, that's enough. It's amazing what a month will do for a person's perspective on a situation such as this.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
LOL

<gloating>

I can see now why the Cards organization was so indignant about the Bills not wanting to trade for this potential pro bowler.
</gloating>

OK, that's enough. It's amazing what a month will do for a person's perspective on a situation such as this.

Until ESPN reports that the Bills are talking to Shelton, then you'll disappear.

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Until ESPN reports that the Bills are talking to Shelton, then you'll disappear.
Ya, it would really suck if the Bills signed him with NO compensation given to the Cards.

That Denny Green is a hard ass negotiator!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Ya, it would really suck if the Bills signed him with NO compensation given to the Cards.

That Denny Green is a hard ass negotiator!

what's your point here? We got our RB of the future - as opposed to trading away a worthless LT for a RB - with injury problems, in the last year of his contract who is already showing to be a cancer on his own team - which would have meant we WOULDN'T have drafted a RB that would be on this team for years to come.

No one lost or won anything in that stare down - to think otherwise is being extremely homeristic - ON BOTH SIDES.

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.

Dude, get over yourself.

First, the Cards were never indignant. Yes, they joined the long list of teams that don't appreciate how TD conducts business, but they handled everything in a mature and orderly fashion (i.e. not kicking and screaming in the media). TD is the indignant ass, constantly crying, "It's amazing to me that you have backs like Travis Henry and nobody is really trying to be very aggressive to get any of those players and I don't know why, I don't have the answer." Boo-freakin'-hoo, TD!

And the Bills are still trying to manufacture interest in Henry (see the Jags rumors), but nobody is biting. Good luck with your clubhouse cancer and your league-wide recognized jackass, TD.

As for LJ... If, you sign him, remember that your team will be starting Cards cast-offs.