Cards won't get Leinart

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Yea but the last I checked this is a team sport. Leinart happens to have the besty O-line if football the best RB in football and an extremely talented cosps of WRs. I would bet that you could take several QBs from around the NCAA that would perform remarkably in that situation. DO you deny that?

I agree hes a good player a real good one. But he is far from a guaranteed savior.

Come on now.. There is no denying that this is a team sport and you need good players at other positions, but it is hard to ignore a player stepping up and making plays on a stage like that. You just can't teach stuff like that. You sure as hell don't pass it up.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Come on now.. There is no denying that this is a team sport and you need good players at other positions, but it is hard to ignore a player stepping up and making plays on a stage like that. You just can't teach stuff like that. You sure as hell don't pass it up.

I would. I take Reggie Bush over him 10 out of 10 times. He is the most dynamic player in football.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Yea but the last I checked this is a team sport. Leinart happens to have the best O-line if football the best RB in football and an extremely talented cosps of WRs. I would bet that you could take several QBs from around the NCAA that would perform remarkably in that situation. DO you deny that?

I agree hes a good player a real good one. But he is far from a guaranteed savior.

I agree with AJ, that was enormous pressure on him today, he had a subpar game but came through in the end, showed heart, grit, the dudes a playmaker, that 4th down play will be remembered by me for many years to come, AWESOME FRIGGIN GAME! :thumbup:

I don't think anybody believes Leinhart is a savior, Reggie Bush isn't a savior either, there just isn't such a thing IMO. He is undoubtably the best QB in college football IMO. :shrug:

Vince Young has alot of talent, he's a runner first, passer 2nd, is getting better at reading defenses, but will he ever be as good as Leinhart, I highly doubt it. So why not upgrade our QB position, with a promising young rookie, and put a FACE on our team, other than Denny Green, who has proven he can't coach, call plays, or escape the drive thru at KFC?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:
I would. I take Reggie Bush over him 10 out of 10 times. He is the most dynamic player in football.

Of course I wouldn't take Leinart of the most electric player I have seen in years, but I thought the topic was about Leinart. If I had my choice it would be Bush, but if he is gone then I would take leinart no doubt.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
Leinart thinks he is so great sitting on the sideline. He was so terrible the whole day and even on that last drive with the luck of that catch wich was throen in to traffic and fumbled at the 1 and that should of ended the game. Kellen Clemens of Oregon is so much better but dosent ge alot of attenion becuse he is not a So Cal quarterback.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
spikecop02 said:
Kellen Clemens of Oregon is so much better but dosent ge alot of attenion becuse he is not a So Cal quarterback.

:biglaugh: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Yea but the last I checked this is a team sport. Leinart happens to have the best O-line if football the best RB in football and an extremely talented cosps of WRs. I would bet that you could take several QBs from around the NCAA that would perform remarkably in that situation. DO you deny that?

i thought Cal had the best OL in football and made all their RB's look good? Not that you said that Shane I just think it's funny how suddenly nobody is saying that with Cal's OL looking ordinary now that they're in the real part of their schedule.

On leinart, the kid's feel for the game is special but am I the only one who thinks we're going to hear a lot about his shoulder injury before the draft? he played hurt all last year, had it fixed, and early this year everyone said his arm was visibly stronger. Go back and watch the last 3 games and his passes are wobbling a LOT more than usual, far less spirals, nowhere near the zip. Maybe his head is still ringing from the ASU cheapshot and some of the hits, but I really wonder if that shoulder isn't bothering him? He's always reminded me of Pennington but now I'm wondering if he doesn't have even a shoulder problem in common with Chad?

FYI, anybody else think Bush was pushing Leinart in on the winning TD? Seemed like he was stuffed and then Reggie shoved him, that's a penalty in the NFL not sure about college. Given the officials in this game repeatedly seemed to favor ND I was a bit surprised they didn't call that.

Great game, gotta hand it to Weis he's got ND playing great.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
i thought Cal had the best OL in football and made all their RB's look good? Not that you said that Shane I just think it's funny how suddenly nobody is saying that with Cal's OL looking ordinary now that they're in the real part of their schedule.

On leinart, the kid's feel for the game is special but am I the only one who thinks we're going to hear a lot about his shoulder injury before the draft? he played hurt all last year, had it fixed, and early this year everyone said his arm was visibly stronger. Go back and watch the last 3 games and his passes are wobbling a LOT more than usual, far less spirals, nowhere near the zip. Maybe his head is still ringing from the ASU cheapshot and some of the hits, but I really wonder if that shoulder isn't bothering him? He's always reminded me of Pennington but now I'm wondering if he doesn't have even a shoulder problem in common with Chad?

FYI, anybody else think Bush was pushing Leinart in on the winning TD? Seemed like he was stuffed and then Reggie shoved him, that's a penalty in the NFL not sure about college. Given the officials in this game repeatedly seemed to favor ND I was a bit surprised they didn't call that.

Great game, gotta hand it to Weis he's got ND playing great.

I notice he got pushed to.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Vince Young has alot of talent, he's a runner first, passer 2nd, is getting better at reading defenses, but will he ever be as good as Leinhart, I highly doubt it.

I don't know. After watching Young today he could be better than Leinhart. The guy is just an amazing athlete and is getting better at passing the ball every week. His ability to sidestep the rush, reset instead of running, and find open receivers today was surprising.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
For sure Keller is the man. He is for sure a nfl quarterback.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spikecop02 said:
For sure Keller is the man. He is for sure a nfl quarterback.

Why did we ever get rid of Timmy Chang? He had more yards and TDs than Keller, Clemons and Leinart combined in college.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
One thing in Leinart's favor is that he's been leading a national championship team for so long and doing it with turnover at key positions. It hasn't been Bush carrying the team the past two year's and Leinart getting the credit. This year, I think Leinart's been unspectacular to say the least.

I wasn't aware of his shoulder issue so that is a good theory. It seems that most of the USC passing game is short to intermediate stuff but I don't know if that's by design or because Leinart's shoulder is bother him. I don't catch all the games but the handful I've watched this year I don't see him slinging the ball downfield with any kind of authority. For the most part, he still seems to be making good decisions which will work in his favor.

Actually, as good as the two wr's are for USC this year I don't think they're of the same caliber as in previous year's, so Leinart may be limited in what looks he's getting downfield. USC seems to stay in pro set's most of the time, no 4 and 5 receiver, run & shoot looks for the most part, so it's possible that he may be having to dump the ball off to the back's rather than force the ball downfield if there's no seperation. If that's the case, then he's learning exactly what he'll need in the NFL and his stock should stay strong. If he's just unable to get the ball to open receivers and his shoulder, knee and concussions become more of an issue then he might struggle or fail in the NFL.

All in all, I think he can be a good NFL qb if his smarts and leadership are real (rather than manufactured by the media). He has the size and strength to make it but he will need to be taken by a team that will cater to his strengths and not depend on him alone to win games. Houston drafted the face of their franchise and he's been getting killed. After all these years, the Texans still don't have a good line. Now, Carr isn't the untouchable icon that he once was. But, if the Texans lay the blame on him, they'll be falling into the same trap that the Cardinals have.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Come on, Shane. That was the #1 team on a 27 game winning streak with a 4th and 8 in Notre Dame stadium. There's no QB in the country who will face a more pressure packed situation this season.

I remember in the rose bowl Plummer threw a 4th down pass like that on the famous drive against OSU. damn prevent defense...but that was a great pass.

hey MTFC your cats suck so bad they are the only thing giving me any pleasure this week :) with all the bad new I have been getting with AZ sports and those uniforms are really really lame (sad becuase I used to really like the old unis white helmets and blue shirts..awesome...red unis with blue helmets Stoopid)...hmmm where are those stories in the AZ republic stories about UA making ASU look silly in in-state recruiting? Kyle Williams just gave his verbal today :p

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
I remember in the rose bowl Plummer threw a 4th down pass like that on the famous drive against OSU. damn prevent defense...but that was a great pass.

Yep, I was there and remember it well. It was a similar situation. Plummer made an audible because Ohio St. blitzed on the play and he had single coverage on Lenzie Jackson.

I'm not saying Leinart's pass was the greatest play ever. I even agree with Shane that that play doesn't mean he'll be a great NFL QB. I just didn't agree with the "Ho hum, just another 4th down conversion" take.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI after the game Leinart admitted that he was stuffed until Bush pushed him on the last play, anybody know the college rule, was that legal?

Great game.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FYI after the game Leinart admitted that he was stuffed until Bush pushed him on the last play, anybody know the college rule, was that legal?

Great game.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/

Also after the Leinart fumble I saw a USC coach trying to call a TO when they had none, wasn't sure if that would be a penalty but turns out it is.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Pushing is legal, even in the NFL, it is only illegal if you pick the guy up and carry him over the line.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/

Also after the Leinart fumble I saw a USC coach trying to call a TO when they had none, wasn't sure if that would be a penalty but turns out it is.

I saw that too, wasn't sure if a TO could be called from the sideline. He was ignored anyway...great game. I felt sorry for those ND players.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Renz said:
Pushing is legal, even in the NFL, it is only illegal if you pick the guy up and carry him over the line.

Rule 9, Section 3, Article 2B states: "The runner shall not grasp a teammate; and no other player of his team shall grasp, push , lift or charge into him to assist him in forward progress." The penalty for such an infraction is five yards from the basic spot.

Link I gave allows you to download the NCAA rule book in that USC article.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It might just be that I'm bad luck for Leinart, but every single game I have seen him play, he ends up getting knocked out for a few plays and Booty has to come in the game. So I haven't been too impressed with his durability... The QB has to take some shots sometimes...

...also his comments after the ASU game calling a hit on him "cheap shot" sounded so petty and panzy. I hope he isn't a Cardinal