Compairing Bells numbers to Q's

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Bells numbers are not quite as good as Q's but very close. His shooting % is much better and he takes all kinds of shots not just 3's.

In Fact if he gotmore min's his numbers would be the same if not better.

He is also knows as a good defender.

I havent seen him play much but off the numbers we got a very solid player who shoots a much better percentage. EXACTLY what this teams needs to surround Amare with. Guys who shoot high percentages and are not taking shots from the main guys.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Yeah, nice pickup. We essentially were able to replace Q with little better defense.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Yeah, nice pickup. We essentially were able to replace Q with little better defense.
"Defense/Shooting/Price"

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Not only is Bell a better overall player on offense, he plays much better D. I think he is going to do great in Phoenix. He will play the kind of role Q played but likely hit a much higher %

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
Not only is Bell a better overall player on offense, he plays much better D. I think he is going to do great in Phoenix. He will play the kind of role Q played but likely hit a much higher %
So is it safe tro say we have improved 2 positions with the trade of Q & the the signing of Bell?

sunsfn

Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
"Defense/Shooting/Price/Won't-Bitch-About-Coming-Off-The-Bench"

"Defense/Shooting/Price/Dribble/Pass" :D

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I remember when Raja played with the 76ers, he was one of my favorite players, a real "scrapper". Q is a better shooter from 3 though.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I remember when Raja played with the 76ers, he was one of my favorite players, a real "scrapper". Q is a better shooter from 3 though.
When Q is hot I would agree. But overall Bell shot over 40% last year and also is a good shooter from anywhere on the court not just 3.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, Bell's rebounds and steals are certainly not on par with Q's. I would not call him an upgrade, but, for the price and on this team, I think he may be a better fit than Q.

I would have probably preferred if the Suns made no changes, kept their pick, and made another run at it, but I think they are in pretty good shape right now.

I suggest they acquire some draft picks the next two years, if possible. Then when KT is on the last year of his contract, they can trade him and some picks to get a contributor so they can defend their title. :cool:

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
tobiazz said:
As I posted in another thread, Bell's rebounds and steals are certainly not on par with Q's. I would not call him an upgrade, but, for the price and on this team, I think he may be a better fit than Q.

I would have probably preferred if the Suns made no changes, kept their pick, and made another run at it, but I think they are in pretty good shape right now.

I suggest they acquire some draft picks the next two years, if possible. Then when KT is on the last year of his contract, they can trade him and some picks to get a contributor so they can defend their title. :cool:
Well it remains to be seen but if he is a good defender it is hard for me to say he isnt an upgrade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Richardson wasn't a bad defender. Remember that he was the runaway team leader in taking charges, and he had a pretty good nose for loose balls. He got burned by smaller players out on the perimeter, but that's probably partly a function of being so bulky (I'd guess). And he was a good rebounder for his size, which is also part of defense.

I confess that I haven't seen enough of Bell for his defense to have made an impression on me. If he really is a big upgrade defensively over Richardson, I'll feel better about the signing.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
I know that we're building a team to be competitive against the Spurs and so i was wondering how effective Bell is defending against players like Parker and Manu.

I only remember him when he played in Philly and thought he was a good spark of the bench, but im wondering how effective he is at being the defensive stopper we've been looking for to stop quicker opposing guards.

I actually looked up the 4 games Utah played against the Spurs this past season and noticed that the two games they actually won against them were 2 that Bell actually didnt play in. In their 2 losses to the Spurs, i noticed one game where Manu exploded for 31 and 15 free-throws while Bell was fouled out...in the other loss, it seemed Bell only played 17 mins off the bench.

Ill be honest that i havent seen him play enough to make any sort of conclusions so im wondering what other people think who've seen him play a lot more. It seems some people are already saying hes a good defender, shooter, etc...though i want to know if thats really the case.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since when has defense been about steals and blocks? Stephen Hunter was a leader among blocks, but are we going to call him among the best centers in the league? Aren't there many better centers -- even better defenders -- than Hunter with less blocked shots?

Defense is about moving your feet and forcing players to take bad shots and make bad decisions (or at least making difficult plays). Bell most certainly does that. Richardson, while he took some charges, most certainly does not. I'll leave the stats on the stats sheet and take what I see in Bell.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
Bells numbers are not quite as good as Q's but very close. His shooting % is much better and he takes all kinds of shots not just 3's.

Don't worry, he'll soon get that out of his system. :p

Bell is smaller and quicker, the better defender on the perimeter; Q is bigger and better rebounding and defending around the basket. Both players take a lot of charges. Bell has a history of playing dirty at times, though.

Bell is more of a pure SG, while Q was able to play SF because of his bulk.

As for who's better, we'll have to wait to find out. I was impressed with Bell's defense when he played for Philadelphia and Dallas, but some Jazz fans say that his defense has become overrated. :shrug:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Since when has defense been about steals and blocks? Stephen Hunter was a leader among blocks, but are we going to call him among the best centers in the league? Aren't there many better centers -- even better defenders -- than Hunter with less blocked shots?

Defense is about moving your feet and forcing players to take bad shots and make bad decisions (or at least making difficult plays). Bell most certainly does that. Richardson, while he took some charges, most certainly does not. I'll leave the stats on the stats sheet and take what I see in Bell.

Steals and blocks are to Defense as Turn Overs and Shooting % are to Offense. A good defensive play means no score. A block or steal is generally an indication of success. A good offensive play means a score. A turnover or missed shot is generally an indication of a failure.

So, blocks and steals are a big part of the defensive picture and should count in an evaluation of a players defense ability. The ability to keep a player away from the hoop and make bad decisions are other aspects of defense.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Just the fact that there is even a debate if Bell is as good as Q shows me that this is a good signing.

IMO what the teem needed was a cheaper role player that hits a better % shooting and plays solid D. I liked Q but felt with JJ on the team he was an over kill.

Bell from what I hear is a very good replacment for what we lose with Q gone. Only more defensive & is not a "chucker" like Q was IMO. Leaving more quality shots for Amare & JJ(who I think will be a much bigger focal point next year after Amare).

It seems that now this team is filled with players that shoot high percentages and none need alot of shots witch will let the Suns give a heavy dose of Amare. I REALLY like the make up so far.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
/cheer brilliant! Exactly, the Suns wasted too much effort going for the big steal the big block which often left the lanes exposed to penetration. Blocks and steals are really only truly effective at the very end of the game while hard nosed in position defense can take players completely out of their game.

Q was a good rebounder no doubt, but his rebounding will be made up for by KT and I think many will be surprised just how solid Bell is on offense. Let's not forget who Bell played for, if Bell launched up shots like Q did in Phoenix he would find his ass on the bench faster than you can say Arroyo.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering that Q had improved to average on defense, I find it hard to believe Bell won't be a big improvement. I'd love it if he was a lock down, but I'd be happy with just "really good".

On offense, it certainly looks like Bell is more discriminating in his shot selection.

60% of Q's shots were for three and he hit 35.8% of them.
20% of Bells shots were for three and he hit 40.3% of them.

Q shot a three every 4.5 minutes played.
Bell shot a three every 13.3 minutes played.

Q shot 43.7% inside the arc.
Bell shot 46.7% inside the arc.

Q averaged .415 points per minute played.
Bell averaged .433 points per minute.

Q actually did better than Bell in assists, but that is deceptive. The Suns averaged 17 points a game more than the Jazz. Also, Q's advantage in rebounding was at least partly to do with playing forward while Bell was mostly at guard.

My read on it is that Bell looks to be a much better fit on the Suns than Q. I expect Q to do well in NY, but I expect Bell to do better than Q in doing what the Suns need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Considering that Q had improved to average on defense, I find it hard to believe Bell won't be a big improvement. I'd love it if he was a lock down, but I'd be happy with just "really good".

On offense, it certainly looks like Bell is more discriminating in his shot selection.

60% of Q's shots were for three and he hit 35.8% of them.
20% of Bells shots were for three and he hit 40.3% of them.

Q shot a three every 4.5 minutes played.
Bell shot a three every 13.3 minutes played.

Q shot 43.7% inside the arc.
Bell shot 46.7% inside the arc.

Q actually did better than Bell in assists, but that is deceptive. The Suns averaged 17 points a game more than the Jazz. Also, Q's advantage in rebounding was at least partly to do with playing forward while Bell was mostly at guard.

My read on it is that Bell looks to be a much better fit on the Suns than Q. I expect Q to do well in NY, but I expect Bell to do better than Q in doing what the Suns need.
Great post, Great break down...

I agree 100.2%

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
From what I have read of Bell, he is a great on-ball defender, real scrappy.

During the Philly Finals run he guarded Ray Allen (I think?) and Kobe Bryant. He was the teams designated main perimeter defender.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Q drew charges, but he got to spots late often and cost us blocking fouls he also got burned on the perimeter. I wouldn't call Raja a better player but he is what we are looking for 20-25 mins a night with good perimeter presence.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

That's a stat I didn't expect.

I am happy about this signing. Better fit for less money. A win all around.

There are indication that Q was starting to grate in the locker room.

These are the types of role players that help you win championships. They do all that dirty work. Every championship team has them and everyone else hates them.

Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen
Rick Fox, the entire Pistons roster, etc.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
These are the types of role players that help you win championships. They do all that dirty work. Every championship team has them and everyone else hates them.

Exactly don't let sports talk radio hosts led anyone to believe otherwise, these are the guys who complete a team they wont get the glory but the will do their job. The gary paytons and Karl Malones have never been in and will never accept these types of roles in the long run..