Congrats to Barry Bonds...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he could break records on the juice, instead of just being a run of the mill hall of famer.

It is clear in both "Game of Shadows" and "Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero" that Bonds utter disdain for "that white boy" (McGwire) getting all the attention for breaking 61 was what send Bonds to Balco in the beginning.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is clear in both "Game of Shadows" and "Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero" that Bonds utter disdain for "that white boy" (McGwire) getting all the attention for breaking 61 was what send Bonds to Balco in the beginning.

I don't read hockey books.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shh, no one tell Mao what school Barry "attended" before going pro. :)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Shh, no one tell Mao what school Barry "attended" before going pro. :)
I'm defending a Sun Devil mind you.

It just goes to show how much of a dislikeable person Barry is when Sun Devils line up against the most famous and prominent alumnus in the school's history.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm defending a Sun Devil mind you.

It just goes to show how much of a dislikeable person Barry is when Sun Devils line up against the most famous and prominent alumnus in the school's history.
Followed sort of closely by Reggie Jackson.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't know how else Mao and others have to say this.... but what Barry took at the time he took (allegedly) was NOT banned.

Even if the allegations that he took HGH or whatever prove to be true, he was taking them at a time when they were not banned. This is no different than McGuire/Sosa (andro/steroids) or Babe Ruth. (alcohol, heroin)

So we're certain that Barry stopped after '04? Ok...

And, I don't know how many times Mao or you I guess need to hear it, but now that we know McGuire & Sosa were using Andro, HGH and/or Roids, their accomplishments are completely tainted and IMO, neither of them should be entering the HOF... HOWEVER, they are not at this moment, on the verge of breaking the greatest record in all of sports. Hence, they are not under the same microscope as is Bonds...
Any player who used roids or any other illegal drug should be scrutinzed and dealt with accordingly. And for Bonds, if you're gonna be in the position of becoming the greatest HR hitter in history, you better be prepared to deal with the hate. He created the hate way before the steroids issue serviced, and since that time his personality has only caused more hate...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, there was a published report during the '98 chase of McGwire using Andro. Both him and Sosa had even more of an accelerated growth spurt than did Bonds. That you could play ignorant with those two while leading the Barry Bonds witchhunt is pretty convenient.

Canseco had been accused of steroids long before that, there was the line " jose canseco milkshake" that other players joked about. But being an A's fan at that time you just didn't hear about Mac and steroids. At one time the A's were very concerned Mac had a drinking problem or might, he was going through a divorce, and there were reports they even had private detectives following him to make sure things were ok. He even admitted that one offseason he sought counselling for behavioral issues which we all assumed was alcohol.

When he broke the HR record it was pretty apparent to me he'd gotten huge so I always suspected something by that point, but Canseco said he was injecting Mark himself years before that, which surprised me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how else Mao and others have to say this.... but what Barry took at the time he took (allegedly) was NOT banned.

Even if the allegations that he took HGH or whatever prove to be true, he was taking them at a time when they were not banned. This is no different than McGuire/Sosa (andro/steroids) or Babe Ruth. (alcohol, heroin)

To be fair, how could baseball have banned something that nobody knew existed? The stuff with Balco was a designer steroid invented to beat steroid testing in sports like track and football that were already testing for steroids.

Even if they had been banned, Bonds would never have failed a test for that stuff because they couldn't test for it. If that doc hadn't come public and ratted out Balco we still might not know.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Do you really want to keep every player who took a now banned performance-enhancing substance out of the HOF? Can't wait for you and the rest of the lynch mob to take the wrecking ball to the plaques of Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, and Willie Stargell.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Great posts Mao, I felt like for a while I was the only one fighting the 'get over it' battle in this thread.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we're certain that Barry stopped after '04? Ok...

And, I don't know how many times Mao or you I guess need to hear it, but now that we know McGuire & Sosa were using Andro, HGH and/or Roids, their accomplishments are completely tainted and IMO, neither of them should be entering the HOF... HOWEVER, they are not at this moment, on the verge of breaking the greatest record in all of sports. Hence, they are not under the same microscope as is Bonds...
Any player who used roids or any other illegal drug should be scrutinzed and dealt with accordingly. And for Bonds, if you're gonna be in the position of becoming the greatest HR hitter in history, you better be prepared to deal with the hate. He created the hate way before the steroids issue serviced, and since that time his personality has only caused more hate...

So you assume that Barry kept going after '04?

I thought the homerun record was the greatest record in all of sports? At least it was when McGuire/Bonds were breaking them....

You do know that Babe Ruth has been known to take grams and grams of cocaine at a time right. Those are illegal. Should we throw out everything that Babe did too? What about Mays? We honestly don't know if Aaron took anything or not.

If Barry were more personable, he would not be treated this way. Most people knew that at least McGuire had been Andro/'roidin up. They could just look at his body and tell. The media, and even some of you turned a blind eye to it, and so did the league.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to keep every player who took a now banned performance-enhancing substance out of the HOF? Can't wait for you and the rest of the lynch mob to take the wrecking ball to the plaques of Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, and Willie Stargell.

Is there anywhere near as much evidence and suggestion against any of those 3 as there is Bonds? They literally have doping calendars with Bonds' name on them that were seized in the Balco raids.

Note, I don't want to keep Bonds out of the HOF, I just lost a ton of respect for him when it became clear what he'd done. If he'd just said you know what I did it, I'd feel a lot better about it. Same goes for McGwire, Sosa and some of the others. Giambi is the guy who really annoys me because he keeps pulling the Bill Clinton semantics arguments to avoid actually admitting what he did, while trying to act like he's pushing for changes in the best interests of the game. You can't do that without actually saying yes I took steroids, you can't pretend to have turned over a new leaf without admitting what the old leaf was IMHO.

I don't want to put an asterisk by the record or bar him from anything, I just won't respect the record nearly as much as I would have if I didn't feel 100% positive he cheated.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere near as much evidence and suggestion against any of those 3 as there is Bonds? They literally have doping calendars with Bonds' name on them that were seized in the Balco raids.

Note, I don't want to keep Bonds out of the HOF, I just lost a ton of respect for him when it became clear what he'd done. If he'd just said you know what I did it, I'd feel a lot better about it. Same goes for McGwire, Sosa and some of the others. Giambi is the guy who really annoys me because he keeps pulling the Bill Clinton semantics arguments to avoid actually admitting what he did, while trying to act like he's pushing for changes in the best interests of the game. You can't do that without actually saying yes I took steroids, you can't pretend to have turned over a new leaf without admitting what the old leaf was IMHO.

I don't want to put an asterisk by the record or bar him from anything, I just won't respect the record nearly as much as I would have if I didn't feel 100% positive he cheated.
:thumbup:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Screw Barry he deserves nothing! Cheater! Record means nothing to me can't wait for someone to break his record and hopefully soon. I would rather A-Rod have it than Bonds!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I relate a lot to this.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
class video by hank

i honestly don't give a crap - kind of feel bad for his boy, barry kept sloughing him off

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
wow I don't care if its the biggest record in all of sports, have a celebration but don't stop the game for speakers, pull out microphones, etc...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kudos to Hank for showing some true class, something Bonds knows nothing about.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Its kind of a bummer it happened tonight, because if Justin Upton gets a single, that story will totally be buried, probably even in the Republic.

kudos to Hank for showing some true class, something Bonds knows nothing about.

I think Hank could poop on the sidewalk and everyone would say "Oh what a classy bowel movement by Hank!" The video was fine, but kind of a backhanded, forced compliment. Show up, and really be OK with it, or don't, don't try to please everyone by being some sort of fence sitter.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
Its kind of a bummer it happened tonight, because if Justin Upton gets a single, that story will totally be buried, probably even in the Republic.

don't worry, the way it's going now upton wont get his final at bat until tommorrow