Cowboys could take Leftwich

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Why won't the Cowboys take Leftwich if they stay at the number 5 position. Hutchenson was not a Parcels decision and I find it hard to believe they will not be looking at him hard. The fact that it is a strong possibility and the Cowboys have not even really mentioned it, tells me that the Cowboys will draft this guy. Did they pay Hutchenson some risky big time money...yes... are they sold on him... no way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jetstream Green
Why won't the Cowboys take Leftwich if they stay at the number 5 position. Hutchenson was not a Parcels decision and I find it hard to believe they will not be looking at him hard. The fact that it is a strong possibility and the Cowboys have not even really mentioned it, tells me that the Cowboys will draft this guy. Did they pay Hutchenson some risky big time money...yes... are they sold on him... no way.

I've been thinking the same thing.

One of the two that I want will be there: Suggs or Leftwich.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Good to see I'm not alone

The Cowboys have been drafting CBs since the departure of Deon Sanders with little result and and I just don't see them doing it again. Cowboys drafting Leftwich makes perfect sense. Cardinals will then draft Suggs.

pinnacle

Reaction score
the football writer for the dallas newspaper was on KDUS with jurecki and lewis this morning...I missed it..what did he say about the cowboys #5 pick in the 1st round??

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The pre-draft heebie-jeebies is evidently starting to toast a few brains already.

NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE THAT HUTCHINSON IS A "NO FIT" IN DALLAS.

Sure there has been a little rumor or two that Hutchinson was not a Tuna pick, but so what? If it ain't broke....don't fix it.
Jones has also said Carter is part of the plans.
Contrary to a couple of suppositions here, there's been no indication of any kind that replacing him just yet is a big priority.

So now "nothing said" says something????? you guys are getting a little too wigged out.

The Cowboys have a lot more pressing needs than replacing Huthinson right now. Common sense tells you, Tuna man's first priority is getting a winning team on the field, AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

And drafting another college QB is not the normal route to get to that place.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny thing, but having spent the past decade or so in a media market near Parcells, my gut tells me that Leftwich would be a great fit.

But here's where "the strain on the marriage" can get in the way of sound football decisions. Jerry J. absolutely "loved" Quincy Carter and no doubt feels that the landing of Hutchison was a real coup that makes JJ look good before the national media. I'm not sure Parcells could make that move without seriously annoying his boss and creating that strain.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Yes, and

Yes, and the Cardinals have pressing needs for a pass rusher but if Leftwich is there...who knows? Jerry Jones will harp on Carter till he is dead, he will keep Carter for as long as he can and not to win games but for the sake of his ego. Hutchenson a lock? Unless they really really really like Hutchenson, Leftwich has to be considered. The Cowboy defense doesn't suck as bad as ours has over the last years but our offense for all its problems has been better than the Cowboys, yet we are entertaning a QB. All I'm saying is that the Cowboys drafting Leftwich is more reality than fiction. Your correct on one thing, the draft is messing with my mind so don't get to mad at me.

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
imo, what i could see the cowgirls doing is trading down to a team who has 2 first rd picks, who do the choose ? i have no idea maybe you guys could give a little input on that scenario. as for them choosing a qb, i realy have gut feeling that simms would be the guy because first of all the history,his dad played for tuna in ny and i could see phil giving his boy alot of advise on how to be succesfull under bill parcells and not to mention it probaly wouldnt piss jj off as much as if they picked lefty who would no ? start, simms and the other two sleps can battle for that right.
maybe i'm crazy?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I doubt Dallas grabs Leftwich. They may take a QB in round 2-3 but they have other priorities to fill. Moreover, I dont think anyone in Dallas belioeves Hutchison cant get it done. I think they will give him at leats another year and allow him to try to improve.

PLus not to mention the whole Q. Carter deal. That is Jerry Jones guy and the buck, as he likes to say "stops with Jerry"

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bill Parcells gushed about Byron Leftwich in a recent article in USA Today's Sports Weekly. Sounded to me that he thought Leftwich was the kind of guy who was not only a great talent but maybe more importantly someone headstrong enough to take the verbal abuse from Parcells.

I would not be suprised to see them nab Leftwich. Would be a very gutsy pick but one that would make sense. No way is Parcells sold on Hutchinson, and since they didn't sign a vet quarterback to compete with Hutchinson I think they have plans of bringing in a QB very high in the draft and Leftwich is the most ready to start right away.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's been very quiet in Dallas.i haven't heard much of anything about them.Must be the Parcells influence because Jones wants his mug on TV every chance he can.I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Leftwich.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am 80% sure they will take Leftwich... That is a no brainer for the cowboys, they will have half of the puzzle solved with that guy...

I would hate to see them take him, but I am sure that will be their move...

Didnt Tuna draft Bledsoe...? Leftwich is alot like Bledsoe IMO...

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I re-iterate.....I really doubt Dallas is in the market for another young QB.

I checked out a couple of Cowboy sites...The general consensus so far seems to be their needs are DE, DT, OG, RB, CB

I have read some comments by Parcells and an interview he did while in Phoenix for the meetings.
He is purposely taking a low profile. He seems to be more concerned about finding a journeyman veteran QB...

From his comments, a lot of his evaluations are only going to come from game play and seeing how people react then.

Here's one quote from his interview:

Q. How do you evaluate where you are at quarterback right now?

Parcells: We have seen them throw a little bit, not really organized or anything. But you can't evaluate a quarterback in shorts. It's under pressure that counts – how they respond to it. You don't find out until it really goes bad, until everybody is booing them, they're hurt, they lost the game for the team and everyone knows it. The coaches are looking at them funny. Now they've got to prove they can still do it. That's what separates the great ones, even the good ones from the guys who never really make it at that position. It takes a certain personality, and I don't know whether any of these guys have it or not. There so inexperienced, it would be hard to tell.

dbcard74

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't draft Leftwich. They will draft Newman.

Despite Parcells' high profile and reputation, Jerry Jones has made it clear several times over the past few months that he is the one who will be making the final decision on draft picks. Since Quincy Carter was completely his idea, two rounds too early, and he threw wads of cash at Chad Hutchinson because he was convinced he was the answer despite the fact that he hadn't played football for four years, if Jones pulls the trigger on Leftwich he might as well take out a full-page ad in the Dallas Morning News that says, "I'm an idiot."

I don't think Jones could bear to make it so painfully obvious that his last two QB picks came up so short.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
I hope you guys are right and the Cowboys do nothing in the draft to improve their offense this year. Last year their defense was ok but the offense royally blew!!
It would be great to see the Cowboys loose 10 or 11 games again next year.

:D

pinnacle

Reaction score
I do not think tuna will have much success in dallas....with the salary cap and a meddling owner - I do not think tuna will have a successful turnaround this time...for the most part everyone loses their touch at some point...

Although the eagles have had a pretty bad offseason - they are still the team to beat - and will be for a few years..their are no easy wins in that conference for Dallas...Washington will never field a really bad team (Snyder will buy an all star at every position if he has to)..and the giants always surprise people with decent teams..

This is the felons we are dealing with here...they will have to start completely over b/c their players are not a match for a screamer/in your face coach...

ChiCard

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
Pinnacle- the Dallas writer thought the cowgirls were going to trade down for more picks.

Yeah so Jerry Jones can show us how f***ing brilliant he is and then we'll have to hear the ESPN crew drone on about it endlessly.