Crazy thought...don't make any trades

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The person who owns these boards does not approve of the constant negativity that is on this board...nor did he on the Cardinals board. It doesn't encourage discussion or more membership.

And censorship does?

If by "negativity," you mean that we are rude to one another, then I agree we could afford to cut down on that. I also confess that I am sometimes a culprit, although I'm not nearly the ogre that some would make me out to be.

But if by "negativity" you mean giving our honest appraisal of how things are going with this franchise, then I don't agree that it is excessive. You can spin it however you want, but the Suns were a bad team last year. Moreover, they haven't exactly been on the right track for recovery. There has been a revolving door in the coach's office. Additionally, there have been trades clearly motivated by finances rather than by quality of basketball product: even if you don't put the Marbury trade in that category, the Robinson and Gugliotta trades surely are.

Every bad team has fans saying, "Don't make any changes, we just need to be patient and have time to gel." It rarely works that way. For every team that does improve that way (Memphis), there are several that never do (L.A. Clippers, Hawks, Warriors, Bulls). My opinion is that the Suns would be better off trying to make a significant change in their personnel than sitting on a mediocre roster.

If that makes me too "negative" to meet this board's upcoming new standards, please do me the courtesy of letting me know sooner rather than later. I'd appreciate the chance to get a head start on looking around for a new place to post, and I'm probably not the only one.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
OMG is right. Chris are you serious - is this board going to just tunr in to a happy, happy joy joy land? This team has missed the playoffs two of the last three years and hasn't gotten out of the first round with a chance to actually win since 1995 - what are we supposed to be so happy about?

If you had a longer term vision to your sad self and could judge the enviable positon the Suns are in with young talent/cap space/smart Suns management team then you'd be much happier and more content. If the Suns thought like you then they'd probably do some rash stop gap measure they'd regret later when a real smoking deal came along.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you had a longer term vision to your sad self

Ah, so this is the solution to negativity?

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
OMG is right. Chris are you serious - is this board going to just tunr in to a happy, happy joy joy land? This team has missed the playoffs two of the last three years and hasn't gotten out of the first round with a chance to actually win since 1995 - what are we supposed to be so happy about?

Jim put out a mandate to the admins awhile ago that he didn't like how negative some of the boards are. Constant negativity doesn't add to the board. You eventually have the same half dozen people doing nothing but criticize and it deters new people from joining the board.

I don't think it is that much to ask for people to be a little nicer and a little less negative, especially if that is what the guy who owns the board wants.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Ah, so this is the solution to negativity?

Neither insults nor condescending sarcasm are the solution. We are all fans right? We can attempt to not be pricks to each other?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Jim put out a mandate to the admins awhile ago that he didn't like how negative some of the boards are. Constant negativity doesn't add to the board. You eventually have the same half dozen people doing nothing but criticize and it deters new people from joining the board.

I don't think it is that much to ask for people to be a little nicer and a little less negative, especially if that is what the guy who owns the board wants.

See Eric's post above.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Neither insults nor condescending sarcasm are the solution. We are all fans right? We can attempt to not be pricks to each other?

I'm really confused. Are you going to heavily police these boards now? Like Eric said, please let us know so we can make a decision on what we need to do to continue our membership here.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm really confused. Are you going to heavily police these boards now? Like Eric said, please let us know so we can make a decision on what we need to do to continue our membership here.
As long as you keep sending me cash there souldn't be a problem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pokerface said:

jeez - that was really necessary to the post - if this is the type of crap you're talking about Chris - I agree - as to everything else - well I see the reason that the Suns got themselves the flexibility they did was TO IMPROVE this team - my God - I never though that wanting to improve the team meant I was a "sad" person - I would think that seeing opportunities to capitalize on the situation we put ourselves in would make me an optimist - but I guess some people just don't know how to talk to others without being jerks - oh well.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hey Chris, all kidding aside.

Why are you so down on me? For at least a year now, you've gone out of your way to put me down whenever finding the smallest window of opportunity. I'm trying to figure out why this is. I know we had a bit of an argument about Skiles years ago, with me saying that it was possible to get an impression of his personality by watching him coach and you saying (more or less) that it wasn't possible without getting to know him personally. Is it still that? I don't think I've done anything since then that should warrant such ire.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Hey Chris, all kidding aside.

Why are you so down on me? For at least a year now, you've gone out of your way to put me down whenever finding the smallest window of opportunity. I'm trying to figure out why this is. I know we had a bit of an argument about Skiles years ago, with me saying that it was possible to get an impression of his personality by watching him coach and you saying (more or less) that it wasn't possible without getting to know him personally. Is it still that? I don't think I've done anything since then that should warrant such ire.

Eric,

You really go for the throat when you don't agree with someone, to the point you trash their view entirely. I don't know if you intend that, but that is what I see.

However, I don't think the "sad self" comment was at all warranted.

As to me patrolling these boards, I am not going to be doing that. Heck I am not even moderating you now. I am simply saying that the person who owns this board would like all the boards on ASFN to not be a constant barrage of negativity.

If you can't handle that as a member...I don't know what to tell you.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm not nearly the ogre that some would make me out to be.
You must be registered for see images

cap and elindholm, discussing the draft​

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The person who owns these boards does not approve of the constant negativity that is on this board...nor did he on the Cardinals board. It doesn't encourage discussion or more membership.

And censorship does?

If by "negativity," you mean that we are rude to one another, then I agree we could afford to cut down on that. I also confess that I am sometimes a culprit, although I'm not nearly the ogre that some would make me out to be.

But if by "negativity" you mean giving our honest appraisal of how things are going with this franchise, then I don't agree that it is excessive. You can spin it however you want, but the Suns were a bad team last year. Moreover, they haven't exactly been on the right track for recovery. There has been a revolving door in the coach's office. Additionally, there have been trades clearly motivated by fiances rather than by quality of basketball product: even if you don't put the Marbury trade in that category, the Robinson and Gugliotta trades surely are.

Every bad team has fans saying, "Don't make any changes, we just need to be patient and have time to gel." It rarely works that way. For every team that does improve that way (Memphis), there are several that never do (L.A. Clippers, Hawks, Warriors, Bulls). My opinion is that the Suns would be better off trying to make a significant change in their personnel than sitting on a mediocre roster.

If that makes me too "negative" to meet this board's upcoming new standards, please do me the courtesy of letting me know sooner rather than later. I'd appreciate the chance to get a head start on looking around for a new place to post, and I'm probably not the only one.

Was our team so bad last year or was it just young and hurting? Theres bad and theres BAD...Suns are just getting it together and they are DEFINATELY on the upswing? If you cant see that and find it impossible to find positives to talk about then maybe your should just join your Laker brothers in LA until the Suns turn it around. That way you dont have to wait on anything. Suns arnt going to overpay on trades just so you're happy we make the playoffs or something. And dont even bring up the Clippers, HAwks and any of those other loser teams!! Suns have a MUCH better reputation than that...thay want to win as much as anyone and are willing to pay for it!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

I'm all for the first part Chris - but I really think that asking people not to give their opinions (without being boorish) will really only hurt this place. When things are good - the tone is good - It was during the playoff run two years ago - it will be when they give reason for everyone to be on board again - but until then - I think it's a little weird to say the big guy wants everyone to be positive - if that's the case - he should have never opened up a message board to voice opinions.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Eric, Don't listen to any of this bull.

IMO, you're the least of the worries on this board. In fact, you've gone out of your way to encourage discussion.

If this board becomes too sanitized, I'm outta' here. Not going to be policed and censored when there are far more important things to worry about.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
pokerface said:
Was our team so bad last year or was it just young and hurting? Theres bad and theres BAD...Suns are just getting it together and they are DEFINATELY on the upswing? If you cant see that and find it impossible to find positives to talk about then maybe your should just join your Laker brothers in LA until the Suns turn it around. That way you dont have to wait on anything. Suns arnt going to overpay on trades just so you're happy we make the playoffs or something. And dont even bring up the Clippers, HAwks and any of those other loser teams!! Suns have a MUCH better reputation than that...thay want to win as much as anyone and are willing to pay for it!

What? Oh, boy...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pokerface said:

OMG - I really didn't think I would see this on a Suns board - telling people to go be Laker fans? What are we on the Cardinals board right now - are you going to start telling us that those who want to improve on the talent we have on this team aren't "real" fans next?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Disagreements are par for the course. In fact, if we didn't disagree all the time, would this board be as crowded? Absolutely not, it'd just be a big bore.

Are we turning away fans from posting? I don't think so. I know there are A LOT of people that just lurk, and that there are a small few of us that DO post. If the lurkers don't post because it's too "negative", I don't know what to say.

This board is easily the best board out there. ESPN is a horrible place, and I've stopped posting on phxsuns.net, which is really, IMO, becoming worse, what with all the swearing and cursing on it.

But whether we agree or not, this board has the most articulate, well-spoken and intelligent fans of the Suns on the Internet.

I just hope this doesn't hurt THAT particular aspect of this site.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright this is getting out of hand...

You need to look at what I am saying as well Pokerface. I like the fact that you are trying to be upbeat...but telling people to go be Lakers fans isn't the way to do it.

Lets just all breathe...

We are ALL fans of the Suns. We can all be cool to each other.

We can ALL work together to make a community here.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Are we turning away fans from posting? I don't think so. I know there are A LOT of people that just lurk, and that there are a small few of us that DO post. If the lurkers don't post because it's too "negative", I don't know what to say.

Some of us get together now and then away from the board and I have been told that yes, the negativity does in fact turn people away.

Sorry if you don't believe it, but that is what I have been told.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
We can ALL work together to make a community here.

The problem is that the sense of community is being threatened by threats of "something happening".

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

You cant think of a reason to be happy about the Suns but you are insulted about the "sad self" comment? I'm MORE insulted that you can't think of any reasons to get so happy over? Ever hear of AMARE or MARION? What about the other numerous young talent we have? Cap space? Draft pick? ANYTHING??

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Some of us get together now and then away from the board and I have been told that yes, the negativity does in fact turn people away.

Sorry if you don't believe it, but that is what I have been told.

It's not like we call each other names all the time. If someone thinks it's too negative, then perhaps they aren't open-minded enough to post here in the first place. We usually don't call names, we don't post explicit material, we don't swear or curse (most of the time). If negativity was the thing that drew people away, I would have left this board a looooong time ago!

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify, if enough users in ASFN as a whole complain about the attitude on this board...then yes I am sure something would happen.

However, I believe we have a prime opportunity to lighten up a bit and never get to that point.

I am not saying never argue...I think we all understand that. I am just saying lets be a little more cool to each other.