Culpepper to Cardinals??

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Makes no sense. Why would the Vikes trade a proven vet like Culpepper for the unproven, and equally expensive, Phillip Rivers. That would be stupid.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
vince56 said:
What does that say? We pick up scraps while another team gets a young 1st round QB? Maybe we should skip the middleman and trade our 1st for Rivers.
The only thing I can figure is green's success he had with Culpepper as an incentive to get Daunte? :shrug:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Makes no sense. Why would the Vikes trade a proven vet like Culpepper for the unproven, and equally expensive, Phillip Rivers. That would be stupid.
Supposedly Daunte's upcoming salary makes him expendable. That's what I read. It didn't make sense to me either. Except the owner is supposedly tired of all the negative press from the players.

Djaughe

Reaction score
No brainer - make the trade for Culpepper (if the rumors are true).

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is never going to happen.

Total waste of Skorps thread space! :thumbup:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Why? Because trades never happen in the NFL?

Thats one reason. This all based on pure BS. All because Denny drafted the guy and nothing more.

Theres a plethura of reason this wont happen.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Has anybody looked at Culpepper's stats last year? You guys want to stick with JOsh or a un-proven,never gonna make it QB like Rivers over a QB like Culpepper? C'mon,this has got to be the most ridiculous thing i've read on this board since the days of NEM and Tango. The Case Jacobson to Larry Bird comparison couldn't sum up this insane thinking any better.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Thats one reason.
I was being sarcastic. I think we can put that myth to bed after the last couple of years in the NFL--it's been pretty busy with trades...and big ones.

This all based on pure BS. All because Denny drafted the guy and nothing more.
Actually, it's based on a Morten Anderson source. Mort is pretty connected, and right more than he is wrong.

Theres a plethura of reason this wont happen.
Again, what are they?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:

Rivers is cheap to them because the bonus is on SD and since Rivers isn't playing he's not getting incentives so his salary is low. He' gets expensive later but his salary next year isn't that bad.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
While not up totally up to speed on the cap ramifications, the trade could happen--

First--Why would Minn do it?

The overriding factor would have to be non -football. You dont get rid of a very high performance QB in the prime of his career, no matter what the trade value is.

Maybe Culpepper had a bigger than disclosed role in the "love boat" incident, and Ziggy Wilf, the new owner has decided that heads must roll.

Second, both parties would have to have the cap space to make it work-- and both do. The Vikes could absorb the bonus acceleration while the Cards have the space to pay his large salary.

Lastly, the Cards would have to give up AT LEAST two first round picks and throw in a player or two (of which, one will be painful to see go).

While the "lets trade for Culpepper, he is wayyyyyyyy better than Josh" talk is fun, the question is are you ready to trade two first round picks and one of: Darnell Dockett, Adrian Wilson or Karlos Dansby? Because something like that is what it is going to take.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Lastly, the Cards would have to give up AT LEAST two first round picks and throw in a player or two (of which, one will be painful to see go).
I think you're off-base on what it would take to get Culpepper. One 2nd rounder and McCown should do it.

If they're looking to trade him, they're motivated.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
en fuego said:
While not up totally up to speed on the cap ramifications, the trade could happen--

First--Why would Minn do it?

The overriding factor would have to be non -football. You dont get rid of a very high performance QB in the prime of his career, no matter what the trade value is.

Maybe Culpepper had a bigger than disclosed role in the "love boat" incident, and Ziggy Wilf, the new owner has decided that heads must roll.

Second, both parties would have to have the cap space to make it work-- and both do. The Vikes could absorb the bonus acceleration while the Cards have the space to pay his large salary.

While the "lets trade for Culpepper, he is wayyyyyyyy better than Josh" talk is fun, the question is are you ready to trade two first round picks and one of: Darnell Dockett, Adrian Wilson or Karlos Dansby? Because something like that is what it is going to take.

It didn't take Oakland that much to get Moss and he's an arguably better player than Culpepper. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the player was Leonard Davis in the trade.He also has a large salary and Minn needs/wants OL.

football karma

Reaction score
Pariah-- McCown is a free agent next year. You cant trade him.

Second-- the Vikes were super motivated to get rid of Randy Moss -- and the price was a high first and a starting defensive player. I think the price for a QB is way higher, AND, you dont think the Ravens, et al will also be bidding for Culpepper.

I hope you were being sarcastic.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
the Vikes were super motivated to get rid of Randy Moss -- and the price was a high first and a starting defensive player. I think the price for a QB is way higher, AND, you dont think the Ravens, et al will also be bidding for Culpepper.

I hope you were being sarcastic.
I wasn't. Moss is arguably the best WR ever to play the game. Culpepper is a good QB. Moss will natuarally have a higher price tag.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I was being sarcastic. I think we can put that myth to bed after the last couple of years in the NFL--it's been pretty busy with trades...and big ones.

Actually, it's based on a Morten Anderson source. Mort is pretty connected, and right more than he is wrong.

Again, what are they?

Even though some trades have been made there havent been any real major trades. This one would qualify. To much cap hit to absorb etc....
You still rarely see trades.

Who the hell is morten anderson?

Other reasons?

1. Cap implications

2. The Bidwills!

3. Other teams gettiing in the sweepstakes and offering a better deal to the Vikes. Im sure there are more teams with way more to offer.

4. No concrete evidence the Cards are even interested(which I highly doubt) It is all pure conjecture.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Shane H said:
To much cap hit to absorb etc....

1. Cap implications

Cap implications are minimal on both sides of the ball with both teams having more or less around 30 mill of cap space for the 2006 offseason. Cards only take on his base salary while the Vikings only take on his remaining signing bonus but minus his base salary. His remaining bonus is estimated to be a cap hit of about 10 mill for the vikings if traded next offseason. Minus his 2 mill base salary and they take a cap hit of about 8 mill leaving them with 22 mill left for FA. While our only cap hit will be his 2 mill base salary, as for the rest of the contract it will be pretty easy to handle it, especially with the cap to get a big boost soon.

2006 2000000.00
2007 5500000.00
2008 6000000.00
2009 6000000.00
2010 7000000.00
2011 8000000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10000000.00

In summary the Vikings can easily handle the cap implications, as can we even if we need to take on dead cap space by trading a few of our own players as well.

football karma

Reaction score
Pariah said:
I wasn't. Moss is arguably the best WR ever to play the game. Culpepper is a good QB. Moss will natuarally have a higher price tag.

Culpepper was arguably the best QB in the NFC last year, and the second best in the league. He is 28 years old, which means that he has at least 5 prime years left in him, and he is a career 91.5 rated passer (for perspective, Canton bound Brett Favre is a 93 career rated passer)

I think he is more than "good".

Again, QBs like this will command a high premium. The Vikes will not give Culpepper away for effectivley what the Eagles traded AJ Feeley for.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
3. Other teams gettiing in the sweepstakes and offering a better deal to the Vikes. Im sure there are more teams with way more to offer.

4. No concrete evidence the Cards are even interested(which I highly doubt) It is all pure conjecture.

Presumably part of it is that Culpepper won't want a trade except to certain teams one of which is us because of Green?

I agree the Ravens for one would figure to be interested if they had caproom, they figure to have a decent draft pick this year.

If they're going to get Rivers from the Chargers it stands to reason they'd have no interest in McCown, or Boller so they'd want help elsewhere.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Culpepper in cardinal red would be a dream come true! How can anyone pass that up??

If True

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Are we serious? Culpepper is better than any QB who has sniffed a Cardinal Uniform in a LONG time. I know, he is playing badly. Let's see, they have no running game, a bad line who lost one starter and lost their best one to injury, and traded away their best WR. He'd be an upgrade for sure.

However, it will never happen :D

So lets bring him in because we have a bad line, no running game.....

spanky1

Reaction score
clif said:
Culpepper in cardinal red would be a dream come true! How can anyone pass that up??

If True

clif,

My thoughts exactly.......and as joeshmo has pointed out, his salary is well in line with his stature. This would the one time that I would say yes to trading next years #1. Go get Steve Hutchison as our new LG in FA and use our 2nd round pick on a DT (Gabe Watson). We'd go deep into the playoffs with these moves.

Again, JMHO

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Now I am not debating the merits of the rumor but rather the perimeters of the trade itself.

Just to give a little better prespective. Right now we are projected to be picking #12 in the draft. That means not Leinart, no Bush, no Ferguson, no AJ Hawk. So does trading away the #12 pick + player (Pace, BJ, Wells, Leckey, Ross, ect), change anyones mind one way or the other.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
wembley88 said:
So lets bring him in because we have a bad line, no running game.....

This is for next season, so the oline and/or running game will be different. For the better, tahts another question yet to be answered.

football karma

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Now I am not debating the merits of the rumor but rather the perimeters of the trade itself.

Just to give a little better prespective. Right now we are projected to be picking #12 in the draft. That means not Leinart, no Bush, no Ferguson, no AJ Hawk. So does trading away the #12 pick + player (Pace, BJ, Wells, Leckey, Ross, ect), change anyones mind one way or the other.

man, I hate to keep beating on the drum, but i dont think the Vikings would attribute ANY value to a backup defensive end, an unproductive third receiver, a guard on the worst offensive line in the NFL, a backup center or a highly paid underperforming right tackle.

The Vikings watch film too.

we need to put down the koolaid. the price for a multiple pro bowl QB in the prime of his career under a long term contract is WAY more than a single first round draft choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser