Curious..

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I see alot of members here that are not living in AZ but yet are still huge fans of the Cardinals. The reason I am a huge Cards fan is that I have grown up with them and have lived in Arizona all my life.

With you out of towners, why and when did you become a fan of the Cardinals? Did you live here then move away, did you like them when they were in St Louis and followed them here? Why are you a cards fan?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
My dad grew up in East St. Louis and I was raised a Cardinal fan in both sports... been a die hard since the age of 7.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lived in Phoenix for over 20 years and just left just under two years ago. I was young enough when I moved there to not have a football team yet and my dad's passion for the Bears made me hate them, you know that annoying passion where I would get grounded for a loss. That is why I hate Dave Wannstedt so much and would punch him in the face if I ever met him.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Yep - we lived in Columbia, MO for a few years in the '60s...Dad brought home a Cards-Chiefs preseason game program (Governor's Cup) for me in 1969...became and stayed a die-hard Cardinals fan, even after moving to Indiana later in 1969.

I've lived in Texas, California, Illinois, Colorado and now Minnesota since...will never STOP being a Cardinals fan.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Lived in Phoenix for over 20 years and just left just under two years ago. I was young enough when I moved there to not have a football team yet and my dad's passion for the Bears made me hate them, you know that annoying passion where I would get grounded for a loss. That is why I hate Dave Wannstedt so much and would punch him in the face if I ever met him.

Ha ha, grounded? Wow, he would ground you because they lost, or because you gave him crap for it. :D

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Grew up in New Mexico before moving out here. The AFC games featured the Broncos and the NFC games featured the Cowboys or the Cardinals. So really, I had no choice.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score

Ah - Bears fans.

Where every day is 1985.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Born in Glendale, raised in Scottsdale. Back-and-forth from LA-PHX since 2004

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Not an out of towner but... I was born and raised in St. Louis and have always been a fan. I moved out here in 1991, a few years after they did.

seesred

Reaction score
Been in AZ for nearly 40 years. Original a NY Giant and Jet fan. Became a die heart after outlaws folded and the Cards moved in. Hate the NY teams and had seen every game up till last year because of illness. Did get to a couple. Love the team.

GBR

SunDevil

Reaction score
I was born in AZ and left in '88 as an 8 year old..right as the team was moving there. My family moved out to the Baltimore area and my dad and I have been diehard fans of the Cardinals ever since.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Native Texan and liked the Cardinals since 1975. I hated the Cowboys early on, something about them disgusted me. Well, the Cardinals back then would give those Cowboys some good games and I really liked the Cardinal players. This was before Sunday Ticket of course, so I was assured two games a year where I could see the Cardinals play Dallas. I have followed them every since and a die hard fan. Your favorite team is sort of like this, they choose you and you do not choose them lol

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived in New Mexico where everyone was a Cowboy fan...Staubach went to the same Military Academy I did... I'm talking about the 1960's... way back. I thought, Eagles?? nah.. Giants?? nah.. Redskins?? (Jurgensen/Kilmer) you kiddin' me??.. All white uniforms and Redbird on the helmet?? YES!! Been with them ever since.

I can't remember even remotely liking any other team. I have to fake liking the Broncos because my wife is a fan, but she still has a soft spot for the Cards.. been to many a game with me.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I lived in New Mexico where everyone was a Cowboy fan...Staubach went to the same Military Academy I did... I'm talking about the 1960's... way back. I thought, Eagles?? nah.. Giants?? nah.. Redskins?? (Jurgensen/Kilmer) you kiddin' me??.. All white uniforms and Redbird on the helmet?? YES!! Been with them ever since.

I can't remember even remotely liking any other team. I have to fake liking the Broncos because my wife is a fan, but she still has a soft spot for the Cards.. been to many a game with me.

How do you know she's not faking? :) :devil::devil:

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Before the cards moved here I was a lions fan because my parents were from there. When the cards moved here, I became an instant fan and I was also still a lions fan because and only because Sanders was on the team.

Reaction score
I moved here from Illinois in 83. Was never a big football fan as it really wasn't on tv that often in my town. I grew up about an hour & a half away from St.Louis. Half of my town were Cardinal baseball fans or Cubs fans. Huge rivalry in my town. Caused many a fight. Lol. When the football Cardinals moved here I became an instant fan. Been a diehard fan ever since. I once kicked my neighbor out of my house (he was a Cardinal fan as well) just for bad mouthing the Cardinals during a game. I take this ish seriously. :)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I once kicked my neighbor out of my house (he was a Cardinal fan as well) just for bad mouthing the Cardinals during a game. I take this ish seriously. :)

:thumbup: I like that!!

I did the same to a friend a few years back...talking crap & laughing 1 game when Kolb was the QB. Needless to say he's not invited to my house for beer, food & ticket on Sundays at my house anymore!!!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm in Vegas - was born here. But, when I was really young, my dad was in the Air Force, and so we moved around a bit in my early years. He's a diehard Skins fan, and he always dressed me up in their gear, telling me that I had to "pick one team and stick with them." So, in '88, I was 2 years old, and we lived in Tucson for a few months. He built up the courage one day to ask me who my favorite team was, and since I was unable to name any other team, I was prepared to say the Redskins.

Then, a commercial for the brand new Phoenix Cardinals came on. I pointed up, said "The Cardinals!" and stuck with it for the next 26 years.

He was pissed.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Grew up in Missouri and my dad was a Cards/Chiefs fan. Been to a lot of Chiefs games but never could really get myself to love them like I do the Cards. I did get to see Joe Namath play in his first NFL game though. That was good for something. Since then, I've lived in Washington D.C., Tulsa and Albuquerque and now back to Mizzou and have never lost my love for my Cardinals. What sucked was when they moved to AZ and could never get a Cards game on TV. For you younger fans, that was back when you could only get 4 channels in certain areas. ;)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I've lived in Dallas my whole life & began rooting for the Big Red in 1974. Those white Unis & that bird reeled me in as a fan. I still remember running around tge house with my Cards pennant & Sears bought Jim Hart jersey taunting my dad each time the Cowpies went to Stl wearing those jinx blue jerseys at Busch...those were great days!!!

I will still never forget this billboard on I-75 in Dallas close to the Cowpies training complex in the 70's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 130
Reaction score
I once kicked my neighbor out of my house (he was a Cardinal fan as well) just for bad mouthing the Cardinals during a game. I take this ish seriously. :)

:thumbup: I like that!!

I did the same to a friend a few years back...talking crap & laughing 1 game when Kolb was the QB. Needless to say he's not invited to my house for beer, food & ticket on Sundays at my house anymore!!!
Yep! Whenever I have taken friends/family, that are fans of other teams, with me to Cardinals games I always let them know ahead of time that if they are going with me, they won't be wearing any other teams gear and that they can support their team, but they have to remain respectful to the home team.

At my home, if they are going to be rooting for anyone other than Cardinals, I just don't invite them on game days. My house, my rules!

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in Vegas - was born here. But, when I was really young, my dad was in the Air Force, and so we moved around a bit in my early years. He's a diehard Skins fan, and he always dressed me up in their gear, telling me that I had to "pick one team and stick with them." So, in '88, I was 2 years old, and we lived in Tucson for a few months. He built up the courage one day to ask me who my favorite team was, and since I was unable to name any other team, I was prepared to say the Redskins.

Then, a commercial for the brand new Phoenix Cardinals came on. I pointed up, said "The Cardinals!" and stuck with it for the next 26 years.

He was pissed.

Ha ha, to funny. Love the stories of kicking people out too. :D