Dbacks vs Giants Thread

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way it was Eveland and Schultz taking the roster spots of Nippert and Owings. More roster changes are coming as Petit will get the start Sunday and RJ will soon come off the DL. Nippert will pitch in the bullpen for Tucson to get more experience as a reliever.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It what twisted alternate universe did the D'backs just get beat by Russ Ortiz???

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something is up with Drew...some undisclosed injury...something. He is looking very uncomfortable at the plate IMO and his fielding has been erratic (last year he looked smooth as silk in the field pretty much). Something seems wrong beyond the idea of a simple slump.

I cannot believe this team lost to Ortiz.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I agree that something is way off with Drew. He had a couple runs of error-filled periods last year, and slumps also, but they have coincided now. Sure would like to see all our young guys bust out of their slumps together. Soon.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgar Gonzalez against Barry Zito, just about to get underway

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks lose game two 1-0. The offense right now is Pathetic!

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Dbacks lost 1-0. The only run of the game was courtesy of a Barry Bonds 739th career HR in the 2nd inning. What an impressive outing by Ed Gonzalez. 7 IP, 5 hits, and an impress K/BB ratio of 7/0.

The Dbacks stranded 7 base runners. They had 1st and 3rd w/2-outs in the 9th, but Callaspo grounded out to 2nd.

Melvin attempted to mix the line-up by having Byrnes hit lead-off, dropping Drew down to 7th, but it failed quite miserably. Plus, he had Tracy and Jackson bat 5th/6th respectively which is the worst since both are similar hitters.

Before the game, Juan Cruz was placed on the DL and Dennis Nippert was recalled to take his spot. More than likely, Mike Schultz will be demoted to clear room for Petit who will be starting tomorrow's game.

Then, it seems more plausible that Eveland will be sent down the moment RJ is available because no way would you want to use up Nippert's options all too quickly.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, the Dbacks lost 1-0. The only run of the game was courtesy of a Barry Bonds 739th career HR in the 2nd inning. What an impressive outing by Ed Gonzalez. 7 IP, 5 hits, and an impress K/BB ratio of 7/0.

The Dbacks stranded 7 base runners. They had 1st and 3rd w/2-outs in the 9th, but Callaspo grounded out to 2nd.

Melvin attempted to mix the line-up by having Byrnes hit lead-off, dropping Drew down to 7th, but it failed quite miserably. Plus, he had Tracy and Jackson bat 5th/6th respectively which is the worst since both are similar hitters.

Before the game, Juan Cruz was placed on the DL and Dennis Nippert was recalled to take his spot. More than likely, Mike Schultz will be demoted to clear room for Petit who will be starting tomorrow's game.

Then, it seems more plausible that Eveland will be sent down the moment RJ is available because no way would you want to use up Nippert's options all too quickly.

I thought you can go up and down from the minors in one year and it counts as only one option?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is correct.

Yeah, I must admit that options is the only thing that continues to baffle me regardless of how many times I've read explanations.

I know they promoted Eveland to lessen the burden off Slaten, however, Nippert is much needed now with Cruz on the DL and Lyons and Medders starting to become over-extended.

I guess the rotation for the next cpl wks will be:

1) Webb
2) Davis
3) Gonzalez
4) Petit/Hernandez
5) Johnson

Petit will be placed on limited pitch-count tomorrow, so perhaps he'll more than likely last until the 5th inning. Then Nippert will pitch extensive long-relief.

Johnson also will be limited in his first start back, so again the BP will be continued to put to the test excessively. Oh well....

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petit will probably only get a spot start and then Johnson will take his place in the rotation.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petit will probably only get a spot start and then Johnson will take his place in the rotation.

I honestly forgot Hernandez with my last post...

I think it is contingent on how Petit performs tomorrow. If he does as well as the outing he had vs. the Padres the final wknd of Spring Training, then to me he will warrant another start. In the process, perhaps it would be best to put Davis in the BP until he sorts out what his problems are. He seems to be pressing too much and putting him in the BP may wake-up him some and be able to make the necessary adjustments.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough given his supposed struggles, Davis still has the best ERA in the rotation.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough given his supposed struggles, Davis still has the best ERA in the rotation.

Well, 2 of his losses he was affected by un-earned runs, however, was still bailed-out way too many times. He's not pitching thus far in the manner the Dbacks had expected. It was mentioned during last night's telecast that he did a 75-pitch side-session w/Price to see if he could work on his mechanics. Plus, he was trying to discover more effective pitches in the process. That right there suggests that he's pressing and needs an opportunity to somehow collect himself. Again, 100 pitches in 6 innings is approaching staggering totals. To judge him on his ERA is rather misleading.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2-0 Giants in the 7th. Petit has pitched well, but once again no offense.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its nice to see that umps have finally manned up and are willing to call a strike on Bonds.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and third with nobody out in the 9th for the Dbacks down 2-0.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This team needs a power hitter in the lineup, we're screwed with series like this one until that happens

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team needs a power hitter in the lineup, we're screwed with series like this one until that happens

The only one is Quentin and I'm afraid that he's taken a newer approach at the plate due to his injury.

Unfortunately, they have no power-hitters in the minors and I don't know if they would be inclined to trade for one at this time.

Still, Melvin isn't hitting the batters in the order according to their strengths. Batting Tracy clean-up is still the worst he can do, but he still doesn't learn that Tracy is best suited for either #3 or #5 in the line-up.

What happened w/CoJack? Why did he leave the game early?

Edit:
During Fri's telecast, Melvin said that he wants "high energy" players to hit in the mid-spots of the order. What does that exactly mean? He's essentially saying.. he wants "gamers". Gamers is generally used when the player lacks talent/skills, so essentially Melvin wants those types of players hitting in the most critical part of the order, that is very assuring.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05