Deal for PG Not Nearer Than Yesterday

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not a minor FA signing. Its a trade and its for a significant player. I still don't know how they combine the TE and players though, unless they somehow make two trades that are really one.

Any ideas. Based on the facts presented here, I would look for a team that's under the cap.

Suns nearing deal for backup to Nash
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
July 10, 2006
The Suns are on the verge of making a deal for a veteran point guard to take some of the workload off Steve Nash.
Related Links
Sports
A league source indicated Phoenix will use the remaining $3.6 million of the trade exception picked up in the Joe Johnson deal with Atlanta last summer — perhaps in concert with draft picks or players — to secure a guard to replace Eddie House as Nash’s backup. The identity of the player to be obtained was not known, but the deal could be agreed to as early as this morning.

Nash, 32, averaged a careerhigh 35.4 minutes a game last season. The two-time reigning MVP continues to be troubled by chronic back and hamstring problems.

The team passed on picking up a point guard in the draft and is looking for more size and defense than House provided last season.
Contact Jerry Brown by email, or phone (480) 898-6528

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69369

sunsfn

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
This is not a minor FA signing. Its a trade and its for a significant player. I still don't know how they combine the TE and players though, unless they somehow make two trades that are really one.

Any ideas. Based on the facts presented here, I would look for a team that's under the cap.

Suns nearing deal for backup to Nash
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
July 10, 2006
The Suns are on the verge of making a deal for a veteran point guard to take some of the workload off Steve Nash.
Related Links
Sports
A league source indicated Phoenix will use the remaining $3.6 million of the trade exception picked up in the Joe Johnson deal with Atlanta last summer — perhaps in concert with draft picks or players — to secure a guard to replace Eddie House as Nash’s backup. The identity of the player to be obtained was not known, but the deal could be agreed to as early as this morning.

Nash, 32, averaged a careerhigh 35.4 minutes a game last season. The two-time reigning MVP continues to be troubled by chronic back and hamstring problems.

The team passed on picking up a point guard in the draft and is looking for more size and defense than House provided last season.
Contact Jerry Brown by email, or phone (480) 898-6528

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69369

They can use the TE with draft picks not players.

It could be a trade that includes the suns sending a player to another team for two players coming back.
It would have to be a player for a player, and the TE for a player coming back. This way the other team gets the player from the suns they want, and the suns get one player they want, and one that maybe they do not really want but have to take to make the deal work. (They may also want both of them)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't for the life of me figure out who the target could be.

Size and defense.

Mike James. 3.7 million seems too low for James. You've got three main factors for FA players, money, playing time/starting, and winning. They will often settle for 2 of the 3.

Brevin Knight. This might be it, though I don't see Knight as that good of a fit in our system. Get Jumaine Jones in the deal, while sending James Jones (and a pick), and it would make sense.

Im just guessing here.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the deal is the TE, draft pick for a player it might be Chris Duhon, Anthony Johnson or Keith McLeod.
All of them have a smaller salary than the TE.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what bigger, defensive minded pg's are out there that are making in the 3-4 million range?

Can't be Brevin Knight, he's 5-11.
Mike James is 6-2.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Can't for the life of me figure out who the target could be.

Size and defense.

Mike James. 3.7 million seems too low for James. You've got three main factors for FA players, money, playing time/starting, and winning. They will often settle for 2 of the 3.

Brevin Knight. This might be it, though I don't see Knight as that good of a fit in our system. Get Jumaine Jones in the deal, while sending James Jones (and a pick), and it would make sense.

Im just guessing here.

The latter guess sounds about right. The Suns get the wing player they want, Jumaine Jones, and solve the backup PG position at the same time.

However, Brevin Knight did not impress me the last time he was in a Suns uniform.

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
Keyon Dooling works fine with his salary. It seems possible, Orlando will play Nelson&Arroyo at point so they don't need him.

Anthony Johnson trade might need to add draft picks to make it work.
So there is my queston about our picks. Do we owe Atlanta's top3 pick, Celtics' pick and our first rounder?

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
I really hope its Knight and Jones we are going after. That trade would easily make me forget the Draft and TT debacles.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Dooling is a possibility.....but getting nelson (although extremely unlikely) would be amazing.

Blake, Dikau, and maybe even Jarrett with the right package are all possibilities.

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
Dooling is a possibility.....but getting nelson (although extremely unlikely) would be amazing.

Blake, Dikau, and maybe even Jarrett with the right package are all possibilities.

From what I have heard, Dikau is probably going to retire due to a neck injury from an auto accident.

asudevil83

Reaction score
just do it said:
From what I have heard, Dikau is probably going to retire due to a neck injury from an auto accident.

that would be Papa Sow. Dickau suffered an achilles injury back in December and hasnt played since i believe.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
I have three point guards in mind that play defense and are bigger than Eddie House, and any of the three could probably be had.

Sarunas Jasikevicious, Carlos Arroyo and Jamaal Tinsley.

I think any of the three could run the offense when Nash needs rest, but i like Arroyo the best cause i think he could really thrive under D'Antoni.

Another player could be Antonio Daniels.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
alright, b/c it's in the tribune i'm intrigued. who the hell are we trading for????

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
I have three point guards in mind that play defense and are bigger than Eddie House, and any of the three could probably be had.

Sarunas Jasikevicious, Carlos Arroyo and Jamaal Tinsley.

I don't doubt it's somebody in that class or worse, but those three are all terrible defenders. Also, they all make too much for the Suns to use their trade exception (same with Daniels).

I'm holding out hope for Duhon, Delonte West or Marcus Banks, but the Suns are probably talking about Jeff McInnis. :|

sunsfn

Reaction score
meth said:
Keyon Dooling works fine with his salary. It seems possible, Orlando will play Nelson&Arroyo at point so they don't need him.

Anthony Johnson trade might need to add draft picks to make it work.
So there is my queston about our picks. Do we owe Atlanta's top3 pick, Celtics' pick and our first rounder?

We have Atlanta's pick next year, but it is top 3 protected.

We have Clevelands's pick next year from The Celtics, and it is top 10 protected.

We have our own pick next year, and it is #30............. :D

And, we have our 2nd round pick for 2007 and that will be #60..

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ok I'm tired of waiting and checking and checking, lets do it already and are we giving up any players?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I don't doubt it's somebody in that class or worse, but those three are all terrible defenders. Also, they all make too much for the Suns to use their trade exception (same with Daniels).

I'm holding out hope for Duhon, Delonte West or Marcus Banks, but the Suns are probably talking about Jeff McInnis. :|

Delonte West, that would be a big move. Sarunas Jasikevicious, Carlos Arroyo and Jamaal Tinsley would be nice pick ups as well!!

sunsfn

Reaction score
I do not think it will be Brevin Knight. He is set to make 4,400, next year. No way the Suns pay a backup that much money. So cross him off your list!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be interested. Let's hope the Suns don't try to hard to make up for the draft and not getting Tim Thomas. I don't want them to give up to much for a backup point guard that probably won't be with the team in a couple years.

If he's young and legit. Great.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I do not think it will be Brevin Knight. He is set to make 4,400, next year. No way the Suns pay a backup that much money. So cross him off your list!

Thank you. I hope your right. He just doesn't fit in Phoenix unless he is a part of a bigger package involving a player like Jumaine Jones.

However, will Knight be an expiring contract? Then it makes more sense.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
delonte would be a coup. the guy was on my fantasy team last year :)

from boston's point of view, they just went out and got rondo & telfair, and they have pierce & szczerbiak (with gerald green backing up) at the 2 & 3. i don't know where west fits in anymore.

however, that's odd considering how money this guy was in his 2nd year. we're talking 49% from the field, 39% from 3, 85% from charity, 12 ppg/ 4.6 ast/ 4.1 reb as a starter playing 34 a night.

don't know if they'd go for a JJ+our 1st rounder next year+cash, but i definitely would. that's probably why its a pipe dream :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
delonte would be a coup. the guy was on my fantasy team last year :)

from boston's point of view, they just went out and got rondo & telfair, and they have pierce & szczerbiak (with gerald green backing up) at the 2 & 3. i don't know where west fits in anymore.

however, that's odd considering how money this guy was in his 2nd year. we're talking 49% from the field, 39% from 3, 85% from charity, 12 ppg/ 4.6 ast/ 4.1 reb as a starter playing 34 a night.

don't know if they'd go for a JJ+our 1st rounder next year+cash, but i definitely would. that's probably why its a pipe dream :)

Boston sure has the PG's. Maybe it depends on which draft pick the Suns give them and/or how it's protected.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
phxrising said:
I have it. It just quotes the EVT article. Nothing new.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
You must be registered for see images attach

Phoenix
Backup For Nash On The Way
Jul 10 - The East Valley Tribune reports the Phoenix Suns are on the verge of making a deal for a veteran point guard. According to the newspaper, the team will use the remaining $3.6 million of the trade exception picked up in the Joe Johnson deal last summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05