Deal for PG Not Nearer Than Yesterday

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Celtics notebook: Telfair integrates
By Mark Murphy/ Boston Herald
Thursday, July 6, 2006

WALTHAM -- It didn't take much for Sebastian Telfair to drink the Kool-Aid.

By the end of yesterday morning's scrimmage, the new Celtics point guard was part of the converted.

"This is the whole start of my career right now," said Telfair, who will lead the Celtics contingent when the Las Vegas Summer League starts this weekend. "They're allowing me to call my own plays, and they're going to my strengths."

As evidenced by a number of slick hook-ups between Telfair and Al Jefferson yesterday, the guard is also pleased with his new options.

"Big Al can roll and dunk, and Ryan Gomes is good at popping and shooting it," Telfair said. "But the great thing is that they're letting me call my own plays, so if I know that Big Al needs a play, I can come down and call that."

Telfair can only imagine what his first time on the floor with Paul Pierce will be like.

"The one thing I've remembered from watching him is how hard he always plays," Telfair said of Pierce. "For a young guy to see that in a major player -- that he works so hard on his game -- leaves quite an impression."

For now, that applies to Telfair, too.

"He's a point guard -- that's what he was raised to be," said Celtics assistant Tony Brown, who will coach the summer league team. "He's quick. His speed is pretty evident, and that's something our team can use. He can push it up quickly, and that's something we haven't had much of before.

"Gary (Payton) had it, but he was getting older, and Delonte (West) is improving in that way. But (Telfair) has it right away."

Brown doesn't envision a problem in blending Telfair and rookie point guard Rajon Rondoin with West, who will now see more time at the off-guard position.

"I think it will be the same for Delonte," Brown said. "And playing against these kids every day will improve him, too. If we get these three guys playing in the same capacity, that will give us a big help."

------------------------------------
that's weird for Celts. They also just signed Allen Ray for PG duties. They don't like delonte's defense on bigger guys and they want to play him at sg?

right now, they are as follows:

pg:rondo, telfair, ray, tony allen
sg:pierce, west
sf:szczerbiak, green

if they don't get the AI deal done, this isn't going to work at all...

somebody should be able to get west for a decent backup 2/3. maybe james jones gets it done?

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
nothin' but net said:
I have it. It just quotes the EVT article. Nothing new.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
You must be registered for see images attach

Phoenix
Backup For Nash On The Way
Jul 10 - The East Valley Tribune reports the Phoenix Suns are on the verge of making a deal for a veteran point guard. According to the newspaper, the team will use the remaining $3.6 million of the trade exception picked up in the Joe Johnson deal last summer.

Dang - Thanks for sharing anyway

asudevil83

Reaction score
a possible deal might also be Jones+TE+2nd for Ollie and Salmons (resigned 4 year at $16mil)

essentially it would be Jones for Ollie and then the TE+2nd for Salmons (starting salary of $3.4mil).

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Two things to consider -

Jackevicious is European and his style of play fits in with D'Antoni. Plus the Pacers were very reluctant to give up a young player they liked in Jmaes Jones.

And I think Delonte West would be the player i would most like. Not last season but the season before he absolutely tore up the Suns in Phoenix and that is always a good indicator when it comes to players Suns are targeting....

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I don't doubt it's somebody in that class or worse, but those three are all terrible defenders. Also, they all make too much for the Suns to use their trade exception (same with Daniels).

I'm holding out hope for Duhon, Delonte West or Marcus Banks, but the Suns are probably talking about Jeff McInnis. :|

Steve Nash is a terrible defender, Leandro Barbosa is a terrible defender.

All three of those players played on teams known for their very good defenses, and Arroyo imo is a very good defender.

I would love to have Arroyo who is only making $4Mil per for 2 more years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zett said:
ok I'm tired of waiting and checking and checking, lets do it already and are we giving up any players?

I want a deal done now and another one while I'm waiting. :)

Edit: If it is Jeff McInnis, maybe the Suns can get a pick out of the deal for saving New Jersey money by using the TE plus he is an expiriing contract.

Also, players usually play well in the last year of their contract.

Last edited:

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Hopfully It's Brevin Knight but he makes 4.4 million this year so maybe not.

just so you all know

Jeff Mcinnis makes exactly 3.6 million

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
We do have a history of trading with Orlando, as well as with Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Chicago, Atlanta, and New York.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/basketball/15002893.
TIMBERWOLVES REPORT
WOLVES WAITING ON JAMES BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

TIMBERWOLVES REPORT

LAS VEGAS — The Timberwolves hope free-agent point guard Mike James will decide today where he will play basketball next season. The decision will have far-reaching implications.

If James spurns the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks and agrees to sign with the Wolves, he could get a contract in the neighborhood of four years and worth more than $20 million.

The Rockets reportedly were optimistic about landing James last week. But the delay means he could be seriously considering Dallas or Minnesota. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Sunday that the Miami Heat also are pursuing James, though James previously had said he had narrowed his choices to the Wolves, Rockets and Mavericks.

Until James makes a decision, the Wolves are in limbo with regard to other free agents. It is doubtful James would play in Minnesota for less than the midlevel exception, which starts at more than $5 million a season.

The midlevel exception is a key Minnesota asset. As expected, the Wolves also are courting Denver free-agent forward Reggie Evans, the type of banger and rebounder who could be a nice fit. Wolves coach Dwane Casey lobbied hard for the non-drafted Evans to make the Seattle roster when he was a SuperSonics assistant.

Without an answer from James, who played for Toronto last season, the Wolves don't know if they have the money for Evans.

The Wolves can re-sign their free-agent point guard, Marcus Banks, without using the midlevel exception because they have full "Larry Bird" rights. That means they can offer him a contract up to the league maximum and the money comes from a separate cache.

But the team has to be careful, because the roster is getting crowded with guards. Trenton Hassell, Troy Hudson, Marko Jaric, Rashad McCants, Bracey Wright and top-10 draft pick Randy Foye are under contract. Ricky Davis is a shooting guard/small forward as well. And the Wolves are still in the mix for James or Banks, though it's doubtful they would add both.

Something has to give. The Wolves could try to make a trade, but three key players would be hard to move: Hudson, Jaric and McCants. Hudson (ankle) and McCants (knee) have health concerns. Jaric had a disappointing season and has five years and about $33 million remaining on his deal.

Briefly: Wolves forward Eddie Griffin spent a week practicing with the summer-league team and left Las Vegas on Saturday as planned, Casey said. The team wants Griffin to lose some weight he gained after the season and get in better shape. Casey praised Griffin for working hard during the week.

The Wolves also want Wright, a second-year player, to shed weight after he arrived at summer league with unexpected bulk, the result of weight lifting that added about 10 pounds. "We want him lean and mean," Casey said.

Could it be one of Hudson, Hassel or McCants? It seems like, according to this article, the Timberwolves are trying to get rid of a PG.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
i wonder if they will announce the deal today....if it even gets done.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marko Jaric makes alot of sense.

He's 6-7, can play the point, especially running the break. He's not as good in the half-court. Good defender, especially making steals.

Its just his contract, that is a problem.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
That was my thought. Jaric makes 5 mil though. Although Sarver did say he would pay the luxary tax if it was for a player who was capable of truly helping us.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Jaric is signed to a big contract and has not shown that he can play anywhere he has been. Clippers/Timberwolves ?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How in the world can Dallas be after free agents (see Wolves article above) when they are far above the cap? Are they hoping to land James for the MLE? That can only be used once every other year, correct?

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If it's McInnis, maybe the Suns can get Hassan Adams in the deal. :|

Philly fans are saying that Kevin Ollie might be the target. He's big and a defender, kind of, and he's got a team option in 2007 (which I didn't realize before). Ollie is also going on 34 and doesn't bring anything to the table on offense, so I'm not sure how he would fit in with the Suns' plans.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Steve Nash is a terrible defender, Leandro Barbosa is a terrible defender.

All three of those players played on teams known for their very good defenses, and Arroyo imo is a very good defender.

I would love to have Arroyo who is only making $4Mil per for 2 more years.
Wow.

Arroyo is way worse than Nash, maybe the second-worst PG defender in the league (behind Troy Hudson). Why do you think he cycled through Utah and Detroit so quickly?

And again, it's totally irrelevant, because his salary doesn't fit into the team's trade exception.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
If it's Duhon I'll be happy. McInnis, not so happy. But I suspect it'll be one of the Celtics' or Blazers' guards.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Which of these guys is the best 3 point shooter? I'd predict that's the one D'Antoni goes for!

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I just read on RealGM that the Blazers will sign Rodriguez. That sure creates a logjam at the pointguard position for them. Haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Jack, Blake, Dixon, or Dickau could all fit the TE. They've even been running a summer league experiment with Roy at the point.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
panfolk said:
If it's Duhon I'll be happy. McInnis, not so happy. But I suspect it'll be one of the Celtics' or Blazers' guards.

Duhon just had back surgery -- and isn't healing well. He couldn't pass a physical for a trade right now.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The Blazers could be the team.
The suns traded their #27 pick to them and they took Sergio. They also drafted Brandon Roy and have Martel Webster, who they say they may play together.

They have Jarrett Jack & Steve Blake for reserve points.
They have Juan Dixon a combo guard that makes too much money and they have Dickau who may retire because of injuries.

It seems to me that Jack or Blake could be traded very easily. At the end of last year Blake played a lot though and Jack may be the one they are looking to trade.

Blake is in the last year of a 1 mil contract, and Jack is in the 2nd year with a salary of 1,137. and options for 1,200. & 2,002, and then a qualifying offer of 2,899.

The only problem with this is that if the suns are trying to get two playes as was reported before, there may have to be a 3rd team involved to get that. The Blazers do not have anybody the suns want, I do not think?

Brian Skinner is there, but at 5.4 mil., and a team option for 5.8 mil. so getting him is not going to happen.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Wow.

Arroyo is way worse than Nash, maybe the second-worst PG defender in the league (behind Troy Hudson). Why do you think he cycled through Utah and Detroit so quickly?

And again, it's totally irrelevant, because his salary doesn't fit into the team's trade exception.

Maybe in your opinion hes a bad defender, but imo hes pretty damn good, not great but hes way better than anyone we currently have playing PG.Not to mention i rather have him for his offensive game, which i think would flourish under D'Antoni.

And i think Jason Williams has something to say about having the worst defense for a PG in the NBA.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
And i think Jason Williams has something to say about having the worst defense for a PG in the NBA.

Don't know about that. He may be too distracted by the glare coming off the championship trophy.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
The Blazers could be the team.
The suns traded their #27 pick to them and they took Sergio. They also drafted Brandon Roy and have Martel Webster, who they say they may play together.

They have Jarrett Jack & Steve Blake for reserve points.
They have Juan Dixon a combo guard that makes too much money and they have Dickau who may retire because of injuries.

It seems to me that Jack or Blake could be traded very easily. At the end of last year Blake played a lot though and Jack may be the one they are looking to trade.

Blake is in the last year of a 1 mil contract, and Jack is in the 2nd year with a salary of 1,137. and options for 1,200. & 2,002, and then a qualifying offer of 2,899.

The only problem with this is that if the suns are trying to get two playes as was reported before, there may have to be a 3rd team involved to get that. The Blazers do not have anybody the suns want, I do not think?

Brian Skinner is there, but at 5.4 mil., and a team option for 5.8 mil. so getting him is not going to happen.

As long as they don't take on Randolph or Miles I'll survive. If they do I might go catatonic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05