Deal for PG Not Nearer Than Yesterday

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Salmons sounds like a really good fit - for the right price, of course.

Can play the tall SG/PG-lite/defender next to Barbs in the second unit, and has proven he can fill a bigger role if needed due to injuries (knock wood).

I like it. I would love a real backup PG for Nash that can also be groomed as his replacement, but that just doesn't appear to be a possibility this year.

If that's the case, I would rather Coach develop a second unit scheme that lets Nash get rest vs burning him out again. If that second unit needs a tall SG who can dish the rock and defend, let's go get him!

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Ok, so rumour over on the ESPN boards is that deal is a S&T for the trade exception + a pick - most likely a second, but maybe a future first.

I like it if it's for a second round pick, but not a future first.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The guy will be 37 years old dec 12 and has never averaged above 2.7 asst/game(in 24 mins last year). I hope we didnt get robbed for a first round pick in next years draft.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
TBaslim said:
Ok, so rumour over on the ESPN boards is that deal is a S&T for the trade exception + a pick - most likely a second, but maybe a future first.

I like it if it's for a second round pick, but not a future first.

If it's for the Suns' pick next year I say let's part ways with #30 and bring Salmons in.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
The guy will be 37 years old dec 12 and has never averaged above 2.7 asst/game(in 24 mins last year). I hope we didnt get robbed for a first round pick in next years draft.

this is John not Tim?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salmons is kind of a Ty Corbin kind of player -- 6-7, no definable game, but does enough of everything with some hustle to warrant minutes. He can benefit in the Suns system. He definitely knows the game of basketball.

sunsfn

Reaction score
nowagimp said:

Correction, he will be 27 years old.

Errntknght

Reaction score
sunsfn, "... has improved his defense and so has Barbosa. Barbosa will improve more this year. He has those long arms and is oh so quick, he will be a very good defender soon."

Barbs has improved some on defense the last three years but it has not been impressive. He doesn't get hung up on every pick like he used to, granted, but usually that just translates into him staying close enough to his man to foul him. Watch him and you'll see that he crowds his man with his lower body and the refs nail him every time - just like they did Jake Voskuhl, who used the same 'technique'. Who knows how long it will take him to shed that habit - Jake hasn't yet as far as I know and he's had six years or so to do it. From the bewildered look on Leandro's face when the refs call that foul, he's not even aware he does it.

Why doesn't Barbs quickness help him more? Because thats what he relies on - he's a purely reactive defender. Now if he'd combine that with studying his opponents to learn their preferences and tendencies he might do something. Of course, most of the fault lies with the coaching staff - any part of the game that can be learned is their responsibility to keep after the players until they get it. Have you ever seen a player turn into a smart defender on the Suns? I'd say that Shawn and Joe Johnson improved their D while on the Suns but they didn't become smart at it, like Raja and KT are. Heck, Voskuhl got worse but then Frank Johnson was the biggest influence on him, so what can you expect.

And thats the good news. The bad news is that SGs back Leandro down and post him up. After the way Dallas picked on him in the playoffs I imagine we'll see that almost every time Leandro is forced to defend a SG. Very likely the reason D'Antoni is looking for a big PG is so he can play Leandro at SG and have him and that player switch defensive assignments.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
panfolk said:
If it's for the Suns' pick next year I say let's part ways with #30 and bring Salmons in.

I'd rather it be for a 2nd, but if it is the Suns' own pick and protected the same way the pick for Barbs was, I wouldn't be against it since we'll already have 2 earlier firsts (likely)

nowagimp

Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Correction, he will be 27 years old.

My bad, thanks for the correction. I like it alot better now. When I saw just 3-4 years of stats I thought he had an awful short NBA career for a 37 year old.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
If He was 37 years old he would quite some player to average 7 points per game lol

Salmons role in philly for the most part was to be a scorer but when iverson was out showed he can pass the ball. guy has a good handle.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Tank said:
I'd rather it be for a 2nd, but if it is the Suns' own pick and protected the same way the pick for Barbs was, I wouldn't be against it since we'll already have 2 earlier firsts (likely)

i thought that Charlotte owed us a second rounder next draft. i would be willing to part with that in order to get Salmon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if it's the TE plus our first or second next year i like it. salmons is a good ballhandler and a savvy passer. not much of a shooter, but a very heady basketball player. i know the suns liked him a lot coming outta UofM. he'd be a good addition. some real size in our backcourt. we've missed that since jj. is it an exciting addition? no. is it a good addition? likely.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
From what I have heard Salmons is a decent defender

he also adds to our bench depth

guess he is replacing Eddie House.

mribnik

Reaction score
Without knowing much about him, I always get excited when the Suns are targeting a player that most of us know little about. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy flourished in our system as a back-up for Nash. He could be the opposite of Diaw. In Atlanta, they tried to play Diaw as a backup point and he didn't fit. In Philly, it sounds like they tried to get Salmons to play a bunch of roles when he's really suited to play pg. If we end up getting this guy, I'm excited.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
scouting report by a sixer fan

Basically he is a 6"7 swing player who has the ability to play 3 different positions. He is an avg shooter but does possess the ability to take the ball to the basket. He is a pretty descent passer and a slightly above avg defender. Actually I think he will be a good player for Phoenix because he won't be expected to do a whole lot.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
sounds like a good pickup. Is this a done deal, or still being negotiated?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
but he can't shoot. i don't understand how this could work if he can't shoot. his purpose is when nash is out. however, when nash is out amare is in. this means that you can double on amare no problem.

unless the coaches see a strong ability to make him a good shooter, i need some help to understand.

mribnik

Reaction score
Someone from the ESPN boards (yes I know) said that Salmons played pg in college. He also said that the Suns liked him in the draft but had already made a promise to CJ. This would make sense because the Suns have a history of going back and trading for players they liked in the draft.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The Suns primarily target players who can pass so this does not mean they are done dealing and that he will def. play back up PG.....I like the pick up and think he can take some of the pressure off Nash. and the inability to shoot doesn't really bother me either as it seems this was the exact write up on Diaw last year (except younger and thicker) and he turned out to be quite a reliable midrange shooter ny the end of last year...

My only question is this: Chap - Do you think we could Iguodala in the deal somehow as well?;)

I give alot of credit to the Suns for identifying players who have been mismanaged by other teams and buy low and sell high. Thats what smart teams do....

Saying all that I still REALLY want the Suns to go after Delonte West. I think he could really be groomed to take over for Nash down the line. It makes sense that the C's have 3 PGs and we could likely get a deal done with the Cavs pick next year and im even open to the possibly of throwing in a guy like James Jones. I will probably get skewerd for this but I'm even for just trading Barbosa for West straight up as West is cheaper longer and he has shown more natural PG skills in his career. I like Barbosa but I just dont see how he fits into this team after next year and I like that we could get a more fitting young player rather than pay Barbs 30 mill over 4 years as it will likely cost next season. But I know i am in the minority on that one. Maybe ya'll like it better if we also get another young C's player i covet in Tony Allen (off court troubles non withstanding)...

All in all if it cost us a second rounder and TE a trade for Salmons is a steal. Now lets trade for West and sign Lampe and get the season started:thumbup:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Holy Crap! This guy has been in my sig the whole time! That says it all!

Do it already!:thumbup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05