Depth Chart Concerns

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's why Kyler didn't turn out to be a good #1 pick (I won't say horrible, because, let's face it, he's no Rosen One). We needed him to be good enough to lead the team into and hopefully through the playoffs on his rookie deal. He crapped the bed on his rookie deal. 1 playoff beatdown is not a successful rookie deal.
Keim and Kliff couldn’t surround him with enough talent to take advantage of his rookie deal.

Dumb contracts for David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald played a part.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
98.7 was really going at the o-line depth this morning. Look Ossenfort had a bad off season. Now part of that is going to be Bidwill with FA dollars but ultimately there are huge holes in the team and it's the GM's job to fix it.

That's why I am so irritated on the draft capital we wasted.
we haven't played a single snap of the season. How can you say Ossenfort had a bad off season?? This is a take for week 8

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we haven't played a single snap of the season. How can you say Ossenfort had a bad off season?? This is a take for week 8

Because we aren't in any position to compete for a playoff spot despite having mounds of cap space and draft picks. That's a choice

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
98.7 was really going at the o-line depth this morning. Look Ossenfort had a bad off season. Now part of that is going to be Bidwill with FA dollars but ultimately there are huge holes in the team and it's the GM's job to fix it.

That's why I am so irritated on the draft capital we wasted.
Chiefs got a starting LT a few picks before we picked Benson. 49ers 3rd IOL is starting. Cowboys drafted a starter in the 3rd.

I'd feel better about Adams slow development if he was 21 and not 24. Hopefully it works out.

I think Tip Reinman will be like an extra OLineman out there so that should help as well.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Because we aren't in any position to compete for a playoff spot despite having mounds of cap space and draft picks. That's a choice
Monti could look like a genius if we're Packers or Texans like in terms of surprrising the rest of the NFL. 2025 would be setup for a helluva offseason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Keim and Kliff couldn’t surround him with enough talent to take advantage of his rookie deal.

Dumb contracts for David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald played a part.
That as well. Clearly Kyler didn't have it in him, either. He wasn't ready and deserves his portion of the blame. He transcended jack.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Oh right… Brown. That seems like a half-assed attempt but they did get the best out of Fro, so hopefully that’s the same here.
Brown is decent but a quality swing guard would have made great sense.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
declaring in week 0 that we aren't in any position to compete for a playoff spot is certainly a choice. All I'm saying is takes like these have more merit when snaps have been played.

nearly 50% of the playoff field is new blood every year. We're an injured Matt Stafford or Geno Smith away from being a Wild Card favorite... but sure, we're not in any position to compete for a playoff spot

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
declaring in week 0 that we aren't in any position to compete for a playoff spot is certainly a choice. All I'm saying is takes like these have more merit when snaps have been played.

nearly 50% of the playoff field is new blood every year. We're an injured Matt Stafford or Geno Smith away from being a Wild Card favorite... but sure, we're not in any position to compete for a playoff spot
Well based on our history, we aren’t until we are.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is a fair statement. Kevin Clark of ESPN/Omaha Productions talks about how many teams each year are really trying to win the Super Bowl. It's less than you think. Maybe five or six, probably more like four.

Are the Cards all-in on competing for a playoff spot this season? I think it's pretty fair to say that they didn't do much of what they could have to maximize their chances to make the playoffs this season.

Don't you agree?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It was crazy a couple of those guards got like 18m a year.
In a few years having $80m tied up in the oline will be very possible.
I think it will lead to a lot more free agent movement
We have over $100m in cap space the next two years with QB cap hits $43m and $49m. The closest comp is the Jets about $30m behind but Rodgers’ cap hit are only $17m and $23m. Any kind of signing or trades wouldn’t have put us any where near cap hell let alone preventing us from re-signing future players.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We have over $100m in cap space the next two years with QB cap hits $43m and $49m. The closest comp is the Jets about $30m behind but Rodgers’ cap hit are only $17m and $23m. Any kind of signing or trades wouldn’t have put us any where near cap hell let alone preventing us from re-signing future players.
Did I mention trades or cap hell...?
Just a simple observation that the OG payscale took a huge leap and it could impact teams in the future.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We are clearly in better position for the playoffs than Baltimore... Ravens have lost every game so far
Ravens lost, but, I thought they played really good and are going to be hard to beat.
Watching this game made me realize that I need to tune down my koolaid:koolaid: just a little bit. :rolleyes:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ravens lost, but, I thought they played really good and are going to be hard to beat.
Watching this game made me realize that I need to tune down my koolaid:koolaid: just a little bit. :rolleyes:
Did you see how many penalties the ravens had? And broken coverages? Just illegal formation penalties was off the charts and thought they played good?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. My understanding is the Cardinals signed him with clear knowledge of the situation. They just didn't seem to think he would get suspended for whatever reason.
Agree. The Cardinals may have thought he might get suspended, but certainly not for 5 weeks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you see how many penalties the ravens had? And broken coverages? Just illegal formation penalties was off the charts and thought they played good?
Agree. And did everyone see how pathetic the Chiefs D was covering Raven’s RB’s coming out of the backfield completely uncovered. Ravens converted at least 3 3rd & 10+ with dump offs to wide open RB’s.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez dudes….its opening day. We are tied for first. Why assume pending doom? Let’s wait a bit, hold our breath before we come to conclusions.
WE DON’T KNOW. We think we know, good and bad but is two days before opening day. Is this the time when we should be dragging our Richard’s on the ground?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Geez dudes….its opening day. We are tied for first. Why assume pending doom? Let’s wait a bit, hold our breath before we come to conclusions.
WE DON’T KNOW. We think we know, good and bad but is two days before opening day. Is this the time when we should be dragging our Richard’s on the ground?
This is a message board, sir.