Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Director Kevin Smith Kicked Off Plane for Being Too Fat
Us Magazine, Feb. 14, 2010

So much for flying the friendly skies.

Mallrats director Kevin Smith, 39, was kicked off a Southwest Airlines flight from Oakland, Calif. to Burbank, Calif. over the weekend because of his weight.

Smith (whose newest film, Cop Out, starring Bruce Willis, opens Feb. 26) posted more than 50 angry Twitter messages to his more than 1.6 million followers decrying the airline in the following 24 hours.

As he explained on the microblogging site, the plane's captain had him removed from a plane after he was deemed a "safety risk."

"I know I'm fat, but was Captain Leysath really justified in throwing me off a flight for which I was already seated?" he ranted. "Again: I'm way fat... But I'm not THERE just yet. But if I am, why wait til my bag is up, and I'm seated WITH ARM RESTS DOWN. In front of a packed plane with a bunch of folks who'd already I.d.ed me as 'Silent Bob.'"

The airline offered him a $100 voucher as an apology (which he refused) and put him on another flight, but he still wasn't pleased.

"Thank God I don't embarrass easily (bless you, JERSEY GIRL training). But I don't sulk off either: so everyday, some new [expletive]-you Tweets for @SouthwestAir," he wrote. "You [expletive] with the wrong sedentary processed-foods eater!"

Shortly after, he posted a photo of himself puffing out his cheeks and captioned it, "Look how fat I am on your plane! Quick! Throw me off!"

The director also joked with fans, including one who encouraged him to start his own airline. "More room for everyone! If they build it, I'd certainly fly it. 'Fly the Flabby Skies!'" he wrote.

Smith also mocked "The @SouthwestAir Diet. How it works: you're publicly shamed into a slimmer figure. Crying the weight right off has never been easier!"

After landing in Southern California, Smith wrote, "I've landed in Burbank. Don't worry: wall of the plane was opened & I was airlifted out while Richard Simmons supervised."

Southwest Airlines apologized to the director via Twitter, and blogged a longer statement on Sunday afternoon -- in which it pointed out that Smith usually purchases two seats every time he travels.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best part of the article is that it identifies him as the director of Mallrats of all movies. YES!!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You must be a skinny little guy, eh? I hope something really inconsiderate happens to you so we can play a violin for you. I'm a big dude (read big, not fat), and I can damn near not fit into those tiny seats. What the airlines does is criminal, and they are often held liable for it. It's especially wrong to wait until the very last second to kick a person off the plane. But hey, as long as you aren't the one inconvenienced, then nobody should dare to complain, right?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an hour flight, the guy was seated, and fit in the seat. The pilot should be reprimanded for poor judgement.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing just how big he is. The person next to him likely complained which they have every right to do. Its a judgment call and the airline has a right to kick him off if they have another unhappy customer. We don't know and will likely never know unless we sit next to him on an airplane one day. So you really can't take a side IMO and be fair.

However Its not as though Smith doesn't know he is an obese individual and its freaking SW airlines for Christs sake. Buy the extra ticket that is required for obese people. Its not as though you can't afford the damned thing.

As far as feeling like he was picked on? Get real. I have seen all of his movies except Clerks and I wouldn't have a clue who he was if he was freaking two feet in front of me. Its highly unlikely the pilot knew who he was when he made the decision.

Boo freaking hoo if people said "there goes silent bob"

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's bigger than me now, and that's pretty big. Willing to guess he's approached 400 lbs. recently.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My question is why the heck was he flying on Southwest Airlines in the first place? You'd think he be flying first class on Jet Blue.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's bigger than me now, and that's pretty big. Willing to guess he's approached 400 lbs. recently.

If he is pushing 400 he should have bought a 2nd seat no questions asked. Anyone being sympathetic to him is being just a tad bit silly.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ith-booted-flight-pilot-says-hes-fat-fly.html

'I saw someone bigger than me on THAT flight! But I wasn't about to throw a fellow Fatty under the plane as I'm being profiled. But he & I made eye contact, & he was like "Please don't tell..."

Both Smith and the airline acknowledged that he had bought two seats for his original flight from Oakland, where he had spoken at the Macworld Expo conference.

But he was flying standby in order to catch an earlier flight, and only one was available.

The movie man insisted that he was still able to put both armrests down and buckle his seat belt, which is Southwest's standard.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ith-booted-flight-pilot-says-hes-fat-fly.html

'I saw someone bigger than me on THAT flight! But I wasn't about to throw a fellow Fatty under the plane as I'm being profiled. But he & I made eye contact, & he was like "Please don't tell..."

Both Smith and the airline acknowledged that he had bought two seats for his original flight from Oakland, where he had spoken at the Macworld Expo conference.

But he was flying standby in order to catch an earlier flight, and only one was available.

The movie man insisted that he was still able to put both armrests down and buckle his seat belt, which is Southwest's standard.

He insists so it must be true. :|

He should no better to try and get by in one seat. He is 400 freaking lbs and historically buys two seats. For a reason I'm guessing. Nobody to blame but himself.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing just how big he is. The person next to him likely complained which they have every right to do. Its a judgment call and the airline has a right to kick him off if they have another unhappy customer. We don't know and will likely never know unless we sit next to him on an airplane one day. So you really can't take a side IMO and be fair.

However Its not as though Smith doesn't know he is an obese individual and its freaking SW airlines for Christs sake. Buy the extra ticket that is required for obese people. Its not as though you can't afford the damned thing.

As far as feeling like he was picked on? Get real. I have seen all of his movies except Clerks and I wouldn't have a clue who he was if he was freaking two feet in front of me. Its highly unlikely the pilot knew who he was when he made the decision.

Boo freaking hoo if people said "there goes silent bob"

So can I complain if a person smells ?

Or if there kid is too loud ?

Or if the person next to me is to obnoxious and won't shut up ?

Do I get to have them thrown off the play ?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nobody to blame but himself.

True to a point.

If his assistant booked the flight, it is not, but then again it would be his assistants fault.

As for Southwest, heaven forbid an airline does ANYTHING to help its customers these days. Like notifying the person about his situation before he gets on a plane.

But, complete and utter failure is accepted at all airports, and airlines these days. The whole system is a pathetic joke.

Thus I only fly when I have 100% no other option.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No right to complain? Bull. Must buy two tickets? Bull. Those seats are might to fit size 0 five-year olds, not grown people. They are TINY. Granted, Smith is huge and other people are fat, but airlines are shrinking those seats year after year. Someday someone on this board just might get kicked off, and then I bet it'll be, 'well, it's a different story because it happened to ME'.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the day I get kicked off. Given, I'm the incredible shrinking man these days so it might never happen. But that look that guy gave Smith? I've given that look to attendants before, especially while I ask for that extension belt. I've been lucky to fly flights that aren't full, I guess.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Perhaps it's time for the price for airline tickets to be based on weight, like we pay to ship packages. If you pay the "400 pound fare" you get a wider seat.

It's pretty lame to bump the guy from the flight after he's already strapped himself in, but really, if you get thrown off a plane for being too fat it's definitely time to draw up a serious diet plan.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it sounds like he had a flight booked with 2 seats - he then tried to fly standby (the last people to get on the plane usually) and they were able to accomodate him to an earlier flight, which is a nice bonus

however for some reason or anyother once he got into his seat they realized he was too big for this flight so he had to stick with his original purchased flight with 2 seats

and they offered him $100 for his embarassment that came from their potential accomodation

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can I complain if a person smells ?

Or if there kid is too loud ?

Or if the person next to me is to obnoxious and won't shut up ?

Do I get to have them thrown off the play ?

Yes you absolutely can for all of those if the airline sees fit.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No right to complain? Bull. Must buy two tickets? Bull. Those seats are might to fit size 0 five-year olds, not grown people. They are TINY. Granted, Smith is huge and other people are fat, but airlines are shrinking those seats year after year. Someday someone on this board just might get kicked off, and then I bet it'll be, 'well, it's a different story because it happened to ME'.

Those seats on SW have been that size for at least 15 years or more.They havent been shrunk in anyway shape or form. Lets not be melodramatic.

Yes he should buy twos eats. As should any overly obese person. Or dont fly SW.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05