Do you guys think Bell will get a one-game suspension?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
S_Marbury said:
If that's the case, it's going to take a special type of handcuff to haul his ass off to jail

Yeah, we'll see if he's even formally charged. And even then, we'll see if there's a case. There wasn't a case for Kobe. Innocent until proven guilty still applies, unless its the other team's guy? Isn't that the rule?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I am not even going to try and read this thread - first off how is it sooooo long?

Bell with definitely get suspended for game 6. My only hope is that the league reviews some of Bryant's shots on Bell and at least assesses a flagrant against him

cly2tw

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Apples, Oranges and Peaches.

Peaches gets suspended.

Fortson's apples on Zarko netted him a couple games of suspension. Oranges have been suspended even more often. You just want peaches suspended for now while letting the others go free. Just say so! :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
My only hope is that the league reviews some of Bryant's shots on Bell and at least assesses a flagrant against him

He could catch one for the elbow to the face...though not intentional it did hit his face.

Barkley was very wrong on the post game show when he said that Bell wasn't hit with that one..he was, grazed most likely, but definitely hit.

Bell did flop on the other play they showed that Barkley called a flop. These two guys are far two testy. I wish they knew how to quit each other.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Fortson's apples on Zarko netted him a couple games of suspension. Oranges have been suspended even more often. You just want peaches suspended for now while letting the others go free. Just say so! :)

Bannanas and Cherries!!!! :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
He could catch one for the elbow to the face...though not intentional it did hit his face.

Barkley was very wrong on the post game show when he said that Bell wasn't hit with that one..he was, grazed most likely, but definitely hit.

Bell did flop on the other play they showed that Barkley called a flop. These two guys are far two testy. I wish they knew how to quit each other.

I'll also take back that Kobe elbowed Raja in the face...that did not happen. I watched it a few times and it wasn't there. Great flop by Bell.

Bell, however, is grabbing Kobe's waist on every post up like he wants to dance with him.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Bell, however, is grabbing Kobe's waist on every post up like he wants to dance with him.

You will get no arguement from me. Bell is a dirty ass player, same as Bowen. Now that we have our own guy I can at least respect the attitude - of course I can understand the distaste for a player like this from opponents.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And right before Kobe gets his tech, when he has the ball at the FT line extended and Nash and Barbosa are on him, Barbosa fouls the hell out of him, almost dislodging the ball.

Suns fans who want to cry foul about the officiating...we are even. So even.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
You will get no arguement from me. Bell is a dirty ass player, same as Bowen. Now that we have our own guy I can at least respect the attitude - of course I can understand the distaste for a player like this from opponents.

Bowen's a dirty ass player, I agree, but I respect his game. He is dirty within some limits of the rules, and is pretty crafty about breaking them. Raja is not crafty and I just sense anger from him. Maybe in 5 years he'll be like Bowen and get crafty, but the grabbing and tugging and pulling just makes me mad. Something about the guy rubs me very wrong, even more so than a dirty martial artist like Bowen, who is a damn good defender even though he's gonna take every sly advantage he can get.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
And right before Kobe gets his tech, when he has the ball at the FT line extended and Nash and Barbosa are on him, Barbosa fouls the hell out of him, almost dislodging the ball.

Suns fans who want to cry foul about the officiating...we are even. So even.
lol......EVEN......you've got to be kidding. So now you're saying the officiating in this game was worse than the officiating in games 1-4 combined??? I thought the officiating in game 5 was even for both sides. Suns shot 26fts, Lakers 24fts. Kwame Brown was the only Laker in foul trouble with 5, no one else had more than 3. Bell had 5 fouls for the Suns and James Jones had 4.

We're not even until the refs give the Suns the ball back to win the game they shouldn't have been in to begin with. Hell even then we're not even, it's not like game 5 was really close.

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Bowen's a dirty ass player, I agree, but I respect his game. He is dirty within some limits of the rules, and is pretty crafty about breaking them. Raja is not crafty and I just sense anger from him. Maybe in 5 years he'll be like Bowen and get crafty, but the grabbing and tugging and pulling just makes me mad. Something about the guy rubs me very wrong, even more so than a dirty martial artist like Bowen, who is a damn good defender even though he's gonna take every sly advantage he can get.

Raja lost his head on that play, no doubt. But the tugging and grabbing is no different than Bowen. He does that all the time, and he will over gamble because he knows Timmy is right behind him in the lane.

I believe that Raja is a better perimeter defender than Bowen. He pulls the same tactics as Bowen. Both players always know the officials point of view, and abuse it to the fullest.

Raja just plays with more emotion, and more than once he gets caught with it. Of course, his offensive game is a lot more expanded than Bowen.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
lol......EVEN......you've got to be kidding. So now you're saying the officiating in this game was worse than the officiating in games 1-4 combined??? I thought the officiating in game 5 was even for both sides. Suns shot 26fts, Lakers 24fts. Kwame Brown was the only Laker in foul trouble with 5, no one else had more than 3. Bell had 5 fouls for the Suns and James Jones had 4.

Dude, Sasha got called for delay of game when HIS TEAM had the ball. There should never be delay of game there...you have 5 seconds to bring it in. You can dryhump the ball for 4 seconds if you please, as long as you throw it in by five.

This was a badly officiated game for the Suns favor. game four was as well, for the Lakers favor. Game three was ok, game two was slightly in favor of the Lakers, and the first game was superbly officiated, even down to the no-call on TT at the end (a good no-call). Tonight's officiating was really bad, but that wasn't the reason we lost...we turned it over far too many times and you guys hit the shots that mattered, especially when we got it to ten in the fourth and you hit two big threes.

You play through officials all the time...tonight they were all yours and the Lakers didn't play up enough to combat it. Game 4 the Lakers had them, and the Suns didn't play up enough to combat them. Simple as that.

I think we'll see officiating like game 1 in game 6.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Raja just plays with more emotion, and more than once he gets caught with it. Of course, his offensive game is a lot more expanded than Bowen.

This is true. Only defensive gameplan against Bowen is shut down the corner three's. That's it. He's done offensively if you deny him that. It's his only strong offensive skill, hitting that shot.

I think Raja plays like Bowen on defense, but he's more blatant. I truly think it's just a matter of a few more years and getting it down to what the refs will call and won't. He'll be a dangerous defender then...he gets a bit too up for big matchups though and lets his emotion get to him. He's dirty for sure, but not yet as clever at it as Bowen. Purely from a defensive standpoint, I'd take Bowen over Raja any day. For now. That will change as Raja learns to control his game and emotions.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought the Sasha play was stupid and the UPN 45 broadcast didn't show what happened, but they said Sasha slammed the ball down after the basket. I agree it shouldn't have been called, but I didn't see how high he bounced the ball or if he was complaining to the refs about a call or non-call when it happened. Still, one free throw didn't determine the outcome of the game.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
This is true. Only defensive gameplan against Bowen is shut down the corner three's. That's it. He's done offensively if you deny him that. It's his only strong offensive skill, hitting that shot.

I think Raja plays like Bowen on defense, but he's more blatant. I truly think it's just a matter of a few more years and getting it down to what the refs will call and won't. He'll be a dangerous defender then...he gets a bit too up for big matchups though and lets his emotion get to him. He's dirty for sure, but not yet as clever at it as Bowen. Purely from a defensive standpoint, I'd take Bowen over Raja any day. For now. That will change as Raja learns to control his game and emotions.

Agreed. I think that Raja will gain more and more respect, especially after this series. For one reason or another - officials seem to respect a player after he has gone through a hard fought post season.....

If Amare comes back healthy next year, and with Kurt joining him - Raja should pass Bowen on the perimeter defense. He will be able to gamble soooo much with Thomas there to lay anyone out - and Marion and Amare helping weakside with blocks. There is no reason he shouldn't be first team all defense as long as he learns to control his temper.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I thought the Sasha play was stupid and the UPN 45 broadcast didn't show what happened, but they said Sasha slammed the ball down after the basket. I agree it shouldn't have been called, but I didn't see how high he bounced the ball or if he was complaining to the refs about a call or non-call when it happened. Still, one free throw didn't determine the outcome of the game.

I wasn't paying attention but the TNT broadcasters said that he threw the ball against the basket post.

I remember when anytime a player spiked the ball it resulted in a tech. Personally I think this is the way it should be. For one reason or another players have gotten away with a lot of abuse on the ball the past couple seasons - I for one would be happy if it went back to how it used to be.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I wasn't paying attention but the TNT broadcasters said that he threw the ball against the basket post.

I remember when anytime a player spiked the ball it resulted in a tech. Personally I think this is the way it should be. For one reason or another players have gotten away with a lot of abuse on the ball the past couple seasons - I for one would be happy if it went back to how it used to be.

Problem was it wasn't a tech for that...it was a delay of game call, the second, so it was a tech.

That's what made it so weird. The team with the ball can seriously do whatever they want (within reason) before throwing it in. How in the world can you get a delay of game call on your own possession?? It's your possesion to delay, if you so desire...

jbeecham...yes, one free throw did not determine the outcome...however, it's one glaring example of poor officiating, that mostly was detrimental to the Lakers. I don't recall the Suns players being in any foul trouble either, though we were going inside quite a bit. officials, whatever...they didn't do well tonight, or in the last game. That's the way she goes. But blown calls happen a lot..that's just one.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns had 2 defensive 3 second techs called against them and myself and a few other guys in the game chat were calling for them against the Lakers numerous times with no calls. So things go both ways. Raja had 5 fouls.

It would have been truely funny if once Raja took out Kobe, the refs decided there was no foul and it was a jumpball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
The Suns had 2 defensive 3 second techs called against them and myself and a few other guys in the game chat were calling for them against the Lakers numerous times with no calls. So things go both ways. Raja had 5 fouls.

It would have been truely funny if once Raja took out Kobe, the refs decided there was no foul and it was a jumpball.

I don't mean to insult you, I really don't...but do you know the rules of a defensive 3 second call? It's not a cake call like a three second offensive call. There are a lot more variables.

Would it have been truly funny if instead of Raja cheapshotting Kobe, that instead Kobe had clotheslined Raja?

I personally find no funny in either case.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Agreed. I think that Raja will gain more and more respect, especially after this series. For one reason or another - officials seem to respect a player after he has gone through a hard fought post season.....

If Amare comes back healthy next year, and with Kurt joining him - Raja should pass Bowen on the perimeter defense. He will be able to gamble soooo much with Thomas there to lay anyone out - and Marion and Amare helping weakside with blocks. There is no reason he shouldn't be first team all defense as long as he learns to control his temper.

I would have agreed with you about Raja gaining more respect from the officials if it was not for his takedown of Kobe Bryant last night. Now they will be watching him closely. There are a lot more likely to call him from man handling Kobe Bryan and others.

I love Bell because he is on the Phoenix Suns, but I can hardly blame Kobe Bryant for throwing an occasional elbow. I mean Raja is molesting him on nearly every Lakers possession, and then he's flopping all over the place when Kobe Bryant fights back.

I don't quite understand why they called delay of game on that play where Sasha slammed the ball against the base of the basket. Seems to me they were taking it easy on him by not just calling a technical.

Joe

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tim Legler just said on ESPN he thinks Bell will be suspended. By the way, will we hear today if he is suspended or not?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Good find, Eric.
Based on how this series has gone, the NBA will order the lakers to start the next game with a 14 point lead, and the suns will only be allowed to use House and Burke for scoring in the 4th.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just saw the video clip on Bell's fould for the first time. In Bell's defense, the initial foul was on Kobe's shoulder. As Kobe moved forward and started to go down, Bell's arm slid up to the head/neck area for the clothes line effect. It didn't look like Bell was trying to catch him around the neck or fact.

This was not on the level of an elbow or punch to the face. But when Bell kind of turned and followed through on it after he caught Kobe, that was not good, almost looked like he was trying to slam him.

Does anyone know the rules on suspensions? Isn't it automatic if you get a flagrant that results in ejection? I'll see what I can find.