Do you guys think Bell will get a one-game suspension?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
So grabbing somebody by the balls and then yanking isn't suspendable but hitting the neck is. Now there's a precedent for you

That should have been a suspension.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I was at the game and it looked disgusting. I'm watching it on the DVR right now, and just watched it at game speed.

That's a suspension. No doubt. Absolute cheap shot with no remorse.

I loved the remorse Kwame showed after he elbowed Diaw

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Did you see Kwame's 'bow? That's a "suspendable" offense. But, the NBA chose to ignore it.

The NBA set a precedent by letting Kwame get away with it.

Fast forward to Bell's meltdown tonight.

How can the NBA suspend Bell, but not Kwame?

You can't be picking and choosing. If an elbow is thrown upstairs, a player is maliciously clotheslined, or someone's getting their balls grabbed... you have to remain consistent with the suspensions.

Seriously, if you can't see a difference between the Walton and Brown flagrants and what Bell did tonight then you are either really dumb or really myopic. And I don't think too many people on this board are dumb.

Elbows and hard fouls are a part of basketball and definitely a part of playoff basketball. Clotheslining and smacks across the head while not attempting to play defense is not a part of basketball.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Raja gets a suspension. I also think it will cost the Suns the series. :(

mribnik

Reaction score
sly fly said:
Did you see Kwame's 'bow? That's a "suspendable" offense. But, the NBA chose to ignore it.

The NBA set a precedent by letting Kwame get away with it.

Fast forward to Bell's meltdown tonight.

How can the NBA suspend Bell, but not Kwame?

You can't be picking and choosing. If an elbow is thrown upstairs, a player is maliciously clotheslined, or someone's getting their balls grabbed... you have to remain consistent with the suspensions.

It's really a weird situation. Relative to the Series, Bells foul was bad, but not enough to warrant a suspension since no other suspensions have been handed out. However, relative to the playoffs, he should get suspended for 2 games, because it was worse than some of the other plays the ended in suspensions. Now if Bell grabbed Kobe's balls, and THEN clotheslined him, that would've been something.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
So grabbing somebody by the balls and then yanking isn't suspendable but hitting the neck is. Now there's a precedent for you

I don't think there was a precident for grabbing a guy's *****. I think the NBA was like, "look Dennis Rodman went his whole career without a crotch grab so we really didn't plan for this"

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

Not to his neck...

Kwame's foul and Bell's aren't even in the same area code. Bell's was as bad as Kobe's elbow to Miller, and more so because he hit him AGAIN in the face as he was going down.

Don't be myopic.

mribnik

Reaction score
Yuma said:
I think Raja gets a suspension. I also think it will cost the Suns the series. :(

I don't see it that way. In fact, I think Bell's defense on Kobe is overrated in the context of this series. For one, we have a few other capable defenders to put on Kobe (JR and Marion). Also, if Kobe goes off in Bell's absense, so what? He went off on us in the regular season and it didn't help the Lakers much. The Lakers have been successful sticking to their gameplan. Kobe could score 40 on Bell if he wanted to this series, but the Lakers probably would've lost those games.

The Suns would miss bell though, if he's suspended, because he's a good player on an injury riddled team. We need as many able bodies as we can get.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Seriously, if you can't see a difference between the Walton and Brown flagrants and what Bell did tonight then you are either really dumb or really myopic. And I don't think too many people on this board are dumb.

Elbows and hard fouls are a part of basketball and definitely a part of playoff basketball. Clotheslining and smacks across the head while not attempting to play defense is not a part of basketball.

True elbowing is a part of the game but fully winding up, elbowing with full force and then taunting afterward should not be considered acceptable on any level

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I don't think there was a precident for grabbing a guy's *****. I think the NBA was like, "look Dennis Rodman went his whole career without a crotch grab so we really didn't plan for this"

LOL...and if Rodman hasn't done it how in the world could they expect it?? That guy tried every dirty trick in the book...but that one. Malone too.

Great post.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

The more I watch Kwame the more I think he is just an idiot who is only in the NBA because he's 6'11".

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mribnik said:
I don't see it that way. In fact, I think Bell's defense on Kobe is overrated in the context of this series. For one, we have a few other capable defenders to put on Kobe (JR and Marion). Also, if Kobe goes off in Bell's absense, so what? He went off on us in the regular season and it didn't help the Lakers much. The Lakers have been successful sticking to their gameplan. Kobe could score 40 on Bell if he wanted to this series, but the Lakers probably would've lost those games.

The Suns would miss bell though, if he's suspended, because he's a good player on an injury riddled team. We need as many able bodies as we can get.

I think you'll miss Raja's offense...you'll really need someone to step up.

And his defense on Kobe was physical...I don't see anyone else that will do that to Kobe on the Suns.

His suspension will be costly. The Lakers better win Game 6.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Give me a friggin break. Kobe was laughing. He wasn't in pain.

Some of you guys are overreacting. It's playoff basketball for chrissakes.

I'm not defending what Raja did. All I said was the NBA set a precedent. How can you not understand that?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Not to his neck...

Kwame's foul and Bell's aren't even in the same area code. Bell's was as bad as Kobe's elbow to Miller, and more so because he hit him AGAIN in the face as he was going down.

Don't be myopic.

It was a cheap shot foul. There is no disagreement here but the League put themselves in one helluva bind by letting the first 2 go with little action.

You let the inmates run the assylum and let everything go its only a matter of time before things get out of hand.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I still think Raja cost the Suns with that play because he's going to be suspended, but Kobe has been inciting a lot of what's been going on in the series. True he hasn't thrown any blows per se, but elbows they let him get away with. On EVERY incident Kobe is in the middle pointing his ugly finger at people saying things to the Suns and the Refs to try and stir the pot. The league really needs to tell the refs that inciting incidents needs more technical fouls called, even if it is one of the leagues "untouchables." I can't stand to watch Kobe anymore. What a punk. :(

tlim

Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Nice post up until the point you played mind reader.

Raja said he just lost his head a little and admitted it was a mistake.

I don't think he tried to hurt anyone. He meant to foul him hard and did.
As soon as Raja doesn't follow through Kobe makes it an and 1.

Bell's foul was more flagrant but Waltons came closer to hurting someone.

As Raja has said, and you have quoted:
He lost his mind. In other words, it was clearly premeditated before that play.

So I'm not mind reading. I'm just stating what Raja said. Raja lost his mind and was really angry. Decided well before the play to clothesline him (intent), and to do hurt him in some way.

So no, I'm not trying to mind read. Raja basically admitted that that was what he did.

Don't forget, even Ron Artest said, "he lost his mind" during that brawl, and was apologetic. It doesn't matter, as the clear intent was there to harm.

He'll be booted for at least 1 game or perhaps 2 games.

Like Kenny said, if he wasn't suspended for some amount of time, that type of play can happen at the end of games to hurt the other player. Clothesline because you're pissed. You say you lost your head a little, apologize, and then get off with a small fine. That would take basketball back to the 80s, and early 90s, with ugly ball, and clothesline everywhere.

What if that happened to Nash, Diaw, or Tim Thomas? A clothesline by Ronny Turiaf to send Nash sprawling to the ground? No suspension for him?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Give me a friggin break. Kobe was laughing. He wasn't in pain.

Some of you guys are overreacting. It's playoff basketball for chrissakes.

I'm not defending what Raja did. All I said was the NBA set a precedent. How can you not understand that?
Because you're trying to suggest that because the NBA set a precedent on the Brown/Walton flagrants that the same precedent applies to Bell. Unfortunately, they're not the same things so the Brown/Walton precedent is irrelevant.

But you are right the NBA did set a precedent when it comes to going for a guy's neck without trying for the ball. It was a two game suspension and it was handed out to Kobe earlier this year for his cheap shot on Mike Miller.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
But you are right the NBA did set a precedent when it comes to going for a guy's neck without trying for the ball. It was a two game suspension and it was handed out to Kobe earlier this year for his cheap shot on Mike Miller.

We're totally on the same page here.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Because you're trying to suggest that because the NBA set a precedent on the Brown/Walton flagrants that the same precedent applies to Bell. Unfortunately, they're not the same things so the Brown/Walton precedent is irrelevant.

In your mind, should have Kwame been suspended? (Don't answer this until you've seen the video).

I'd like to know what the NBA's reasoning is if they choose to suspend Bell, but didn't make Brown sit.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This will never happen, but the refs have let this series get out of hand with the hard fouls. The league office has been non-existent until now. You know they will hurry up and suspend Raja to protect the golden boy Kobe. However, their ineptitude, both the refs and the league office, at this point would fairly dicatate no suspension to this point and a warning that the next play deemed excessive WILL resuslt in a suspension. Warn both clubs publicly and let them play on. However, as I said, this won't happen. Kobe MUST be protected, even if the other Suns haven't been up until now. ;)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's just call it "EVEN".

Suns have been getting bitch-slapped all series with take-downs and gansta tactics (see K. Brown on Diaw video).

Kwami Brown's Instructional Video on "How To Be a Gangster"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VKAj0HQnsuA&search=kwame%20brown

Finally one of our guys shows a little fight, and Laker fans want remorse. Pluzzzze...you can't have all the fun. You guys turned it into a physical series. Up 'til tonight we (the Suns) have been practically turning a cheek and taking it all in stride.

Don't worry Laker fans...the NBA not only wants you to win this series, but they have been and will continue to help you win it. How's that feel? That your team needs "help" from the league? :rolleyes:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
well, everyone's referring to him standing over him afterward - it was an elbow, down low and a hard foul, but a bordeline suspension call - it wasn't an arm around the throat, predmeditated - ah, screw it - there was a reason I stopped reading and posting here - a total lack of objectivity.

Go Suns.
:wave:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
tlim said:
As Raja has said, and you have quoted:
He lost his mind. In other words, it was clearly premeditated before that play.

So I'm not mind reading. I'm just stating what Raja said. Raja lost his mind and was really angry. Decided well before the play to clothesline him (intent), and to do hurt him in some way.

So no, I'm not trying to mind read. Raja basically admitted that that was what he did.

Don't forget, even Ron Artest said, "he lost his mind" during that brawl, and was apologetic. It doesn't matter, as the clear intent was there to harm.

He'll be booted for at least 1 game or perhaps 2 games.

Like Kenny said, if he wasn't suspended for some amount of time, that type of play can happen at the end of games to hurt the other player. Clothesline because you're pissed. You say you lost your head a little, apologize, and then get off with a small fine. That would take basketball back to the 80s, and early 90s, with ugly ball, and clothesline everywhere.

What if that happened to Nash, Diaw, or Tim Thomas? A clothesline by Ronny Turiaf to send Nash sprawling to the ground? No suspension for him?

Wait he lost his head and reacted or it was pre-meditated?

You are going to have to make up your mind.

Raja got a Flagrant 2 and was ejected. He deserved it.
I don't know that I agree he needs to be suspended.
If the league office says so then I won't complain. Bell will have brought it on himself.

The Lakers are the team that have made this a physical series.

In the post game Kobe and Phil didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal.

Last edited: