Draft Prospects thread

cly2tw

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/blogs/index.php?blog=193&blogtype=Sports

I know nothing of the guy. But the video was interesting.

The comments from China sports press critisize him for relying too much on his athletism. Guangdong Tigers play an open court game where Yi excels with his talent. In the CBA finals, Baiyi are trying to slow it down and post up Wang Zhizhi as much as possible and exposed Tigers and Yi's weakness by taking that 3-1 lead. Sounds familiar?

Yi will be a good fit for Suns due to his athletism, but I now prefer Noah more with the fear that Yi might not develop proficient lowpost skills, both offensive and defensive, quickly enough. But he should still be a reasonable risk to take.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I for one think it is a no brainer that Odem and Durant are going to be in the draft.

After the Atlanta pick, they will probably try to trade the other two picks and move up, but if not there is a chance a very good player can drop to them at #24.

If they do not trade both picks to move up, then the suns may have to trade their pick along with Banks to get rid of him. They were probably going to sell it or trade it anyway, so doing that may get them back a player that will fit their system better.

This should be a fun draft and hopefully the suns will get themselves at least one player that can really contribute next year.

Errntknght

Reaction score
devilalum,
I am dissapointed that LB has not taken on this role for the team. He seems to have all the necessary physical tools.

He's improving. He's stopped crowding drivers with his lower body so he's no longer the foul machine he was. I'd say he's also 'shading' guys to their stronger side more often now and sometimes he tries to anticipate their next move - ala Bell. He's usually a fraction late and gets called for the foul but he's at least thinking in the right terms.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Corey brewer is the best on ball defender that is left in the final four. if the suns has a chance to get him they should. it would help prevent mike bibby, tony parker, jason terry from having a good game againts the suns.

according to analyst the draft is very deep so we prolly have a good shot getting good big guys later on.

He's 6'9" he won't be guarding those guys he'll be guarding SF's.

But he's a great defender.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
my point was he could guard the best guard on the opposing team.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This year's draft will be either super or awful depending on how many underclassmen come out.

My read on it is not hugely different than a month ago:

Horford is the third best propsect in the country after Oden and Durant. If the Suns get the #4, they may still need to make a deal to move up.

Hiffort will go higher than currently projected. He's big, mobile, and having a great tournament. If he does even OK against Oden, look for stock to rise. I don't see him being a Suns, but he could grab a slot that might move somebody down.

Noah is probably the best prospect after the top three for the Suns style, but his weaknesses will keep from being more than a rotation player.

Mike Connolly of Ohio State has been under the radar, but could be the best real PG prospect in the draft (better on defense than Law and more of a distributor).

Brewer's poor tournament may drop him into the 20's where he'd be good pickup.

Marcus Williams may drop into the 20's after a lackluster season. He's a great talent, but the Wildcats were awfully disappointing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
my point was he could guard the best guard on the opposing team.

agree with russ. he should be guarding other 2s and 3s. knowing dantoni's love of the gimmick defense (marion on anyone) brewer would end up on point guards, which would be a waste.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This year's draft will be either super or awful depending on how many underclassmen come out.

My read on it is not hugely different than a month ago:

Horford is the third best propsect in the country after Oden and Durant. If the Suns get the #4, they may still need to make a deal to move up.

Hiffort will go higher than currently projected. He's big, mobile, and having a great tournament. If he does even OK against Oden, look for stock to rise. I don't see him being a Suns, but he could grab a slot that might move somebody down.

Noah is probably the best prospect after the top three for the Suns style, but his weaknesses will keep from being more than a rotation player.

Mike Connolly of Ohio State has been under the radar, but could be the best real PG prospect in the draft (better on defense than Law and more of a distributor).

Brewer's poor tournament may drop him into the 20's where he'd be good pickup.

Marcus Williams may drop into the 20's after a lackluster season. He's a great talent, but the Wildcats were awfully disappointing.

Wow George, I don't think I could disagree with your assessment more.

Hibbard (hifford???) is going outside of the lotto at best. he is not mobile. and he's not that skilled. moreover, for a man of his size he is not a shotblocker or great position defender. he will most definitely NOT be a sun.

i think with time, proper coaching, and weight training noah could be an impact player. he understands the flow of the game.

i like conolly too. doubt he comes out this year. but if we're talking frosh points, i love crittendon of g-tech. if that kid clicks he's dynamite.

brewer's tourney hasn't been stellar, but his defense has been awesome. he won't drop to the 20s. i'd love for that to happen, but i think he's solidly in the top 10 regardless of the rest of the tourney. at the beginning of the season i had hoped we could nab him with one of our lower picks, but that went out the window.

marcus williams stinks. nothing stands out about his game. i expect to see him go in the second round.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brewer has been knocked in almost every article I've read, but this is mostly because of his poor shooting and decision making. I too would be suprised if he dropped to where the Suns could get him on their second pick (barring trading up), but sometimes last impressions are decisive.

Both Draft Express and nbadraft.net has Hibbert at #8. He's clearly not someone that would fit the Suns needs, but might jump over Noah in draft rankings if he plays well against Oden.

Roy Hibbert
NBA Comparison: Joel Przybilla
Strengths: Center with great size and strength ... Has soft hands, excellent touch on his shot ... Strong rebounder ... Very good free throw shooter, (around 80%) which is especially important for a center ... Post moves are developing well ... Smart player, has a good understanding of his role and what to do on the court ... Strong character guy ... Hard worker, has shown great improvement in his skill level, body and conditioning in his time at Georgetown ... Has transformed himself into a legitimate prospect ... More athletic than he appears ... His quickness in decision making has improved ... Body strength and agility seems to still be developing, his upside is very intriguing considering how much he improved in the past year ... Good vision and passing ability ... Calm demeanor, never gets out of control or loses his cool ... Has the size to block shots inside without jumping ...

Weaknesses: Limited athletically: Lacks quickness, speed in the open floor, and explosiveness ... Has trouble against big and athletic centers, must work on ball fakes and becoming less predictable offensively ... Runs very stiff, slow transitioning from half to full court ... Has decent shot blocking skills due to his size, but lacks great quickness and reflexes vertically ...
Aran Smith - 3/2/2006

Draft express has Law at #10, Lawson at #13, and Conley at #14. nbadraft.net does not list Conley, but they pull guys based on whether they are expected to come out.

My feeling is that Conley will stay another year at OSU unless he gets a lottery guarantee. They are adding a PF/C named Koufous (7'1" 240) from Greece who is a terrific "pick and pop" shooter. This should be a great showcase for Conley to get a top lottery slot.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score

If the Suns landed the #4 pick they need only to pray that both Oden and Durant enter the draft so they could get the player still left between Al Horford and Brandan Wright. Everyone already knows the deal with Horford and Brandan Wright at full potential is just as good as Kevin Durant.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Just hope the Suns don't trade away their picks again...

Traded away the #7 pick and their excuse was that they didn't think Iguodala would be available and now Iguodala averages 19/6/6 in a season he partially had to play with Iverson, last night he had 26 points 7 rebounds and 15 assists.

Brandan Wright is the guy to pick.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
U know its bad when ur championship hopes ride on a rookie.

The suns will be the suns. they will find someway to screw it up. anyone saw the GS game today?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
U know its bad when ur championship hopes ride on a rookie.

The suns will be the suns. they will find someway to screw it up. anyone saw the GS.

Please.

Besides not being able to write a coherent sentence, you apparently don't understand what anybody here says about the draft this year. Nobody has said anything about our hopes for a ring next year being dependent on a draft pick.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you hate this team so much ma falaa then why are you even here?

I dont hate this team. I just dont believe in Mike dantoni. Who ever he drafts it wont be someone that can play defense. he is going to draft an offensive minded player. lets not hope is a europlayer.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Conley WILL BE in the draft. He's already come out and declared himself for the draft. He will be in the Top 10 in this draft as well. Yes, he's more of a distributer, but head to head, for the Suns, I'd rather have Acie Law. However, neither, will be drafted by the Suns anyways, unless they package the Cavs pick along with some players and possibly their own late pick to move up and get one of them. The Atalanta pick will be used on the best available big (SF, PF, C) that fits their style. Outside of Oden and Durant, my preferences in this category are as follows: Horford, Jianlian, Wright, Noah, Thornton

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Brewer has been knocked in almost every article I've read, but this is mostly because of his poor shooting and decision making. I too would be suprised if he dropped to where the Suns could get him on their second pick (barring trading up), but sometimes last impressions are decisive.

Both Draft Express and nbadraft.net has Hibbert at #8. He's clearly not someone that would fit the Suns needs, but might jump over Noah in draft rankings if he plays well against Oden.

Draft express has Law at #10, Lawson at #13, and Conley at #14. nbadraft.net does not list Conley, but they pull guys based on whether they are expected to come out.

My feeling is that Conley will stay another year at OSU unless he gets a lottery guarantee. They are adding a PF/C named Koufous (7'1" 240) from Greece who is a terrific "pick and pop" shooter. This should be a great showcase for Conley to get a top lottery slot.

man i hope you're right with brewer.

and i hope hibbard goes high. he's given me a lot of joy this year. i just don't see him being anything more than a journeyman in the nba. but you can't coach 7'2.

and i agree with your assessment of conley. i think he stays.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Conley WILL BE in the draft. He's already come out and declared himself for the draft. He will be in the Top 10 in this draft as well. Yes, he's more of a distributer, but head to head, for the Suns, I'd rather have Acie Law. However, neither, will be drafted by the Suns anyways, unless they package the Cavs pick along with some players and possibly their own late pick to move up and get one of them. The Atalanta pick will be used on the best available big (SF, PF, C) that fits their style. Outside of Oden and Durant, my preferences in this category are as follows: Horford, Jianlian, Wright, Noah, Thornton

i hope you're right about conley. can you provide a link? i'm curious to see where he declared.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What makes Acie Law different from Leandro Barbosa? I don't think he can be a true PG.

We have to draft one of the big guys since there seems to be no shooting guard worth taking high except maybe Thaddeus Young if he could play SG and SF in the NBA.

Nick Young would be a good addition though probably, maybe even Marcus Williams.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I think Conley and Greg Oden are a package deal--Conley's father is expecting to be Oden's agent when he declares, so the family's focus will be wherever Oden is.

IMO there's a 'second group' solidifying behind Oden and Durant--unless someone new declares, Brandon Wright, Horford and Noah will probably be the 3, 4 and 5 picks. Behind that it's going to be a crapshoot.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
My preference of pgs would be Lawson since he plays under control at a breakneck speed from everything I've heard. Normally I'm averse to drafting foreign talent but this year I think Yi, Splitter, and Bellinelli do look promising. It'd be great to get Noah or Horford but I am a pessimist when it comes to the lotto balls. If we were looking for a trade partner the Blazers might be promising though as a second pick they'd probably be higher than we could afford without doing something drastic. I'm thinking this because Pritchard was recently named GM of the Blazers adn he was the mastermind behind the Blazers moves last year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say Oden & Durant do not come out this year. Say the Sun's have at the worst the #5 pick, Noah, both Wrights and Horford are gone. Would you go for a Roy Hibbert at 5. The logic being yes we are a running team but so were the Mav's before signing Dampier. Critics said that Dampier would be productive in the Mav's system. He is a great defensive presence and rebounder for them and allows them to play a half court offense and makes them a better defensive club. I compare Hibbert to Dikembe Mutombo because of their skill set and the fact they both happen to be 7-2. As the old NBA cliche' goes you can't teach height. Hibbert at 5, Lawson at 21 and Fazeckas at 29 would be a great draft because we get front court depth allowing Amare to slide to the 4, get a shooting big man in Fazeckas and a good PG prospect to learn from and eventually take over for Nash. For the record I also like Jeff Green.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jeff green would be a great pick. draft rule number 1- you draft the best player avaliable.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'm hopefully going to be able to tape Jeff Green... I have at least once every year but really after reading posts here about him not being a decent Prospect but not great at any one thing, I've stayed away from really watching...

Stats would at least give ME somewhat of a clue but hopefully he's a pretty solid athlete because he does have decent size AND Coach D' (if you're out there) 3PT range =D

Joakim Noah is probably going to go up and down NBA Draftboards so much lol I had him 3rd, although thats because I am Suns fan, and he'd be higher on their board and no not everyone is based upon mah favorite Team because I'm just about to put Julian Wright 3rd on mine and with Diaw, I believe the Suns could look another direction.

Oden; Durant; Wright; Noah/Horford; B Wright; Budinger; (after looking at stats) ima leave Jeff Green at this spot (hoping he shows ME something); Thornton; Yi; T Young; and the next position to decide for the next spot will be when I watch Conley and Lawson...

This is the time of year I get excited, Playoffs, NBA Draft, Mercury, D'Backs, etc. - so hopefully the Suns don't lay an egg in Draft again. lol