Draft Prospects thread

dcsunsfan

Reaction score
Sean Williams got kicked out of Boston College for too much pot smoking so I doubt we would even look at him although his talents are a perfect fit..

Agreed that it's unlikely the Suns take him given their history, but this is exactly the kind of risk the Suns should take with one of these late picks. The guy is not crazy like Stephen Jackson or Ron Artest and is not likely to cause chemistry issues. And it's pot, not cocaine or worse. Getting kicked off his college team hopefully gave him the jolt he needed to get it together.

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Center Glen Davis, LSU? He looks like an Oliver Miller type...6'8" 310lbs.

"Looking at Glen Davis before actually watching him play, you would assume that he is your typical wide, slow, undersized center that can barely get up and down the court and is just used for setting screens or getting a few rebounds. That however is completely not the case when discussing Glen Davis.

What stands out first when watching him play is his surprisingly good ball-handling ability. He is very good at taking defenders off the dribble and is able to change gears use hesitation moves even use a crossover move that can use to get to the hoop off the bounce. He utilizes this very well at the college level to take slower centers by surprise in the way he can handle the ball. Once he gets by the defender it is very hard to stop him because it is difficult stopping a man of his size and strength from getting a shot up. His ball-handling is not only limited to one on one situations, as he has even shown the ability to get the rebound and bring the ball up court if need be.

When he wants to get to the basket either off the dribble or when posting up, it is very hard for defenders to stop him from finishing at the rim. When a man that size gets into the air, he has to come down, and usually most post-men are not used to having to stop someone with incredible strength. Thus Davis can get his shot off around the basket and he has the potential to get a lot of continuation baskets because of his ability to follow through after contact.

Another very surprisingly aspect of Davis’s game is that he has a very
developed mid-range jump shot. He can shoot efficiently and effectively from the 15-17 foot range or even beyond and shows great shooting touch for a man his size.

Davis really likes shooting at the top of the key in the circle, which is where he is most effective if left open. When he is on the block posting up, Davis also has a very good fade-away jump shot that he can use off of a spin move. As the SEC player of the year, he’s a true go-to player for his team and will look for his shot in all situations to try and carry his team offensively.

Athletically, Davis is very rare. A player his size, with his strength and bulk, combined with his unique agility and nimbleness on the court does not come along very often. He has very quick feet, and can get up and down the court a lot better than most would assume. Davis is a mountain of a man, an immoveable object in the paint in many respects because of his wide body and physical strength. He has massive arms and looks like he could bench press a truck if really wanted too. The key is that he knows how to use his strength, too. It is not wasted on the court; he can use it when carving space for himself to post up, or to limit post players from setting up where they want to in the paint on offense. Another intriguing part of his game is that he is very coordinated for a big man, and has huge and soft, but strong hands on defense and offense.

On offense if there is one play that Davis can execute to perfection it is the pick and roll. It all starts with his ability to set a great screen with his wide body, and then use his quickness to get open followed by implementing his fine short-range jump shooting ability. He is a pick and pop player and if he gets in trouble he knows how to pass his way out of a double team. Davis is comfortable with the basketball in his hands and simply goes out and makes plays.

On the defensive end he has his virtues as well, being able to move players around in the post with his strength and width space. He does not have slow feet; if anything he is fairly nimble on defense and moves his feet well.

What he is at his best on defense is stopping the offensive player from backing up close to the basket. Davis knows how to use his leverage and size to push the offensive player away from where they want to ideally post up. When he boxes out aggressively he can really clear space. He takes out almost anyone in his path and no player can stop him from getting the ball if he puts his mind to it.

Davis is known as one of the most charismatic players in the NCAA, and from watching him interact with his teammates he appears to have a great personality. At times he can be a fun loving guy that likes to
joke around, and at other times he is a serious competitor and is one of the emotion leaders of his LSU team which reached the Final Four. Davis was one of the more vocal leaders not only on the court but also in the media during their trip to the Final Four. Having a likeable sincere guy like that on any NBA team would do nothing but help in terms of team cohesiveness.
He was very impressive against the Texas big man Aldridge especially, completely taking him out of the game as he absolutely controlled where Aldridge posted up."

Since he's projected in the 20-40 range there are obvious concerns (notably his height and weight...scouts want him at 280-290)...but at #29 is there a better big man who can do pick and roll / pick and pop...with his strength (something the Suns need)?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take Glen Davis without blinking. I also think late in the draft, you have to look at Sean Williams. The guy is the closest thing coming out of college to Amare. I've seen him play, and he's not unlike Rasheed Wallace. He has that kind of attitude on court.

Draft Projection: Late first to early second

Notes:
You must be registered for see images attach
[SIZE=-2]Williams has character questions, but there's no questioning his talent.
(Bob Donnan/US Presswire)

[/SIZE]
Williams has some major offcourt damage control to do. Was dismissed by the team in January for unspecified team violations. Williams has a long history of problems with the team. He was arrested in June, 2005 for marijuana possession and was forced to miss the first eight games of the 2005-06 season for Boston College. Was suspended by the team for the first two games of the 2006-07 season.

Positives: He's a legit 6-foot-10 with great length and athleticism. Arguably, THE best shot blocker in the country. Has a developing offensive game with some decent moves in the paint and jump shot range out to 15 feet from the basket.

Negatives: Still very raw on the offensive end. He has the tools to be a great rebounder, but his numbers don't back it up. He might be a better rebounder if he didn't try to block every shot launched by an opponent.

Summary: Williams was having an impressive season before he was dismissed from the team. The kid already had a ton of character questions, so his dismissal should add fuel to the fire. But the truth is that scouts have always been in love with his size, athleticism and shot-blocking ability. As long as his offcourt problems aren't too serious (he'll be working out with John Lucas in Houston to help repair his image) it's hard to see an athletic big man like Williams going too long in the draft without hearing his name. He's a bubble first rounder with a chance to go higher as long as there are no more character questions still in the closet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis was exposed 2 years ago against UCLA in the NCAA's and then again this last season against UW when Hawes dominated him. He's got short arms, not much hops and he gets by in college by bulling people out of the way which in the NBA they call an offensive foul (unless you're Shaq or Carlos Boozer).

He lost weight this year but he's still overweight, gets tired too easily and I've never gotten the comments about his great footwork, he walks as much as any player in recent memory in college.

He's a lot like Afflalo, very good college player who might never be more than a bench player in the NBA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Jeff Green announced he's staying in the draft. So G Town gets Hibbert back but loses Green.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis was exposed 2 years ago against UCLA in the NCAA's and then again this last season against UW when Hawes dominated him. He's got short arms, not much hops and he gets by in college by bulling people out of the way which in the NBA they call an offensive foul (unless you're Shaq or Carlos Boozer).

Wait, are you describing Glen Davis? I thought you were describing Paul Millsap.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you describing Glen Davis? I thought you were describing Paul Millsap.

Millsap can jump, Davis can't.

Millsap is athletic he got his rebounds on hops in college, Davis on bulk.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree, Davis is a borderline 1st rounder, but probably will be picked in the 2nd round, there is no need and no room for him in the Suns.

If we are talking about late 1st round steals I wouldn't mind having Jared Dudley. He is only an average athlete, but a great hustle guy, a finesse post-up scorer, has a J and a winner mentality.

Sean Williams easily could have became the better offensive version of Theo Ratliff (in his prime).

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
When I saw Davis play he looked good but ran out of gas very quick.
That was a year ago and he did lose a bunch of weight, but he still seams to tire very quickly. I do not think the suns could ever get him in shape to play their game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
FYI Jeff Green announced he's staying in the draft. So G Town gets Hibbert back but loses Green.

You know why Hibbert is back at Georgetown? He wants to be a Phoenix Sun and when he saw we weren't going to get that Atlanta pick, he decided to take his chances for next year....

;)

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I know Hibbert isn't that mobile, but he is kinda growing on me as a proscpect. He played Oden tough and I was very impressed with his passing. With Georgetown running the Princeton offense he gets put in the position to make plays passing the ball and I thought he did a good job.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was hoping ATL would screw up and take Hibbert at #3. I'm hoping they go with a guy like Wright and Conley gets snatched up before #11 so that they are stuck with Law. Then all we need is a crowbar to JJ's knee. Hopefully the team will suspend "Smoove" again for not wanting to tank.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hibbert has no place on the suns. we'd have to become a slow down type offense just to use him.

look, as most of you know, i'm a hoya alum. i love my hoyas. and i'm excited that hibbert is coming back. that said, i don't think he'll be that effective at the next level offensively. he's very limited in terms of athleticism, and his post moves are few and far between. defensively he's not a legit shotblocker. he can be a good post defender due to his size and relative strength, but that's it. he'd be difficult for duncan to work against in the post, but duncan, slow as he may be, would blow by him on face ups.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like I said, there is NO CHANCE IN HELL that Hibbert goes above Horford. I WIN! ;)

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Hah! I think DraftExpress has been reading my posts;). Koponen jumped 6 or 7 spots to being drafted with the Suns own pick. NBADraft.net has the Suns taking Bellinelli with the #24 pick as well.

HooverDam

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Alando Tucker for our 29th pick?

I wouldnt be afraid to bring this rookie off the bench. A solid SF with experience and leadership.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2m_UARbsbw

It would depend on what else is available and what the Suns do w/ their other pick, but I could be happy with that. But I'd obviously rather have a PG or big KT like guy. And if they are going to go for a swing man type, I'd rather it be more of a pure shooting shooting guard type, since they already have Marion, Jones and Diaw who can all play SF, along w/ Bell in limited minutes.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At 29, it will certainly be a "best player available" pick.

One guy that might be considered is a Reyshawn Terry on North Carolina. Right now he's viewed as mid 2nd rounder, but according to Draft Express he's getting some interest from scouts:

http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3

Reyshawn Terry Moving Up?

NBA teams appear to think more highly of Reyshawn Terry than we initially thought, at least according to an unscientific experiment we conducted with NBA scouts and executives this past week. When asked about the one player on our mock draft that is underrated more than anyone else, the name Reyshawn Terry seemed to come up again and again. This prompted us to bump him up into the early-mid portion of the second round, even though many said that they wouldn’t be shocked to see him go as high as the late first round.

One NBA scout we spoke to had the following to say: “we’re talking about a kid with great tools. He’s a 6-8 wing with an NBA body and exceptional athletic ability. He plays lock down defense and shot 44% from behind the arc. I liked your comparison earlier in the year to James Posey, and I don’t understand why you guys went away from that. You can’t judge these Carolina guys by their numbers.”

In our two-week long scouting trip around the country, Terry was indeed one of the players we came across—working out at Tim Grover’s gym outside of Chicago. Watching him in that informal setting, it was hard not to come away with the impression that he’s going to look phenomenal in private NBA workouts. You can read more about that in an article coming later this weekend.

The main question marks we have about Terry has to do with his focus and consistency on the basketball court. Too often he would disappear on the court and not assert himself on either end. He had a tendency to coast throughout his career at North Carolina, and oftentimes Coach Roy Williams would lose his patience with him because of a mental lapse and just yank him from the game. One executive we spoke to was pretty blunt when saying “our coaching staff loves him, but I want to know what’s going on upstairs with that kid.”

Terry will be playing at the pre-draft camp starting on Tuesday and has a real chance to help his stock with a good showing. He doesn’t need to score 20 points a game there, but he does need to play hard and do the little things for his team.

Feedback for this article may be sent to [email protected]

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tucker? I don't know.

He is a great college player but I simply can't figure out what kind of NBA player he will become. Since his J (especially from outside) is not one of his strengths I doubt that the Suns will take him.

Terry is almost exactly the opposite. Everybody is wondering how he didn't turn out a dominant college player and a legit 1st round pick material.
He has everything what you are expecting from an NBA player: a great body, excellent athleticism, a nice jumper but he is very inconsistent and lacks focus.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question on Herbert Hill. Would Steven Hunter with better hand-eye coordination be a fair comparison?

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why not take a chance on Glenn Davis out of LSU in the late first round/2nd round. I didn't watch him this year, but I remember the hype around him 2 years ago and seems to have dropped as a prospect. He also lost weight and is around 270 I think.
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/glendavis.html

Errntknght

Reaction score
Belinelli looks a lot like Ginobili in his ability to shoot off balance... not as muscular, of course, and who knows what kind of defender he is. What's his height... I'd guess about 6'6. I can imagine D'Antoni liking him for the Suns.

Glen Davis is just the kind of player D'Antoni wouldn't go for. I'd love to have a 270 pound bruiser on the team but then I always like Oliver Miller. (I know he wasn't a bruiser but he looked he should be...)