Draft Prospects thread

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
Is D'Antoni going to want to take a guy like Hoford who is going to be so offensively limited? D'Antoni loves shooters, and also doesn't seem to have much patience for developing young guys- only guy who has developed here has been LB, and he hired his brother to do that.

I think D'Antoni might lean a bit towards getting a guy who is ready now, rather than any sort of project, because he'll be trying to repeat a championship run next season.

Thats right- I said it.

Horford isn't that limited offensively. He has a dependable low post game, and when that fails, he can step out and hit the mid range J with relative ease.

He might not be Duncan on offense, but he's a lot further along in that aspect than Noah.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Horford isn't that limited offensively. He has a dependable low post game, and when that fails, he can step out and hit the mid range J with relative ease.

He might not be Duncan on offense, but he's a lot further along in that aspect than Noah.

Honestly I haven't watched him play much (if ASU isn't playing, why would I watch college basketball?), but from what Ive read it makes it sound like he "sorta, kinda, might soon have a reliable J" but doesn't yet.

I'm just not going to be surprised if on draft day D'Antoni nabs some goofy looking European guy who can shoot like the dickens from half court, run like the wind, make laser passes, etc.

However, D'Antoni was smart enough to see the need for a guy like KT and a Marcus "defensive PG" Banks (oops), so I could be wrong.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
does anyone know much about Bellinelli?

6'6", 190 lbs, 3/25/1986

NBA Comparison: Ray Allen

Strengths: Despite his age he plays the game with maturity and intelligence, and has a great deal of experience … Ball handling ability is top notch as he can lead the fast break or take opposing guards off the dribble … Belinelli is one of the best shooters off the dribble anywhere in his age group … Even more impressive is that he needs little time to get his shot off thanks to his ultra quick release … Moves extremely well without the ball using an assortment of cuts and fakes to get open … Works very well off of picks and screens where he is superb off the catch and shoot … Possesses legit three point range … Mechanically he does everything well no matter if he is off balance he always keeps his body fully squared … Defensively he possesses great anticipation skills and quick hands which enable him to disrupt passing lanes … Does not get intimidated by pressure situations nor when facing physical defenders … Mid-range shooting has improved as he is starting to fuse this with his long range shooting and slashing ability …. Extremely coachable player who has a solid work ethic … Athletically he shows solid leaping ability and quickness … A great finisher in the open court …

Weaknesses: Defensively he may struggle to defend more athletic shooting guards as his lateral quickness is average at best … Tends to get caught up in shooting from the perimeter instead of driving the lane and drawing fouls. Should concentrate on becoming more aggressive using his athleticism to attack the basket … Ball protection is a work in progress as Belinelli can get careless with the ball … Does not make much of an impact on the glass … Needs to continue to work on conditioning as he shown the tendency to get worn down as the season progresses … Court vision leaves a little to be desired … Doesn’t convert shots when contact occurs on his drives due to his lack of upper body strength … Belinelli can go through streaky periods where he struggles with shooting consistency …

Matthew Maurer - 12/5/2006

Strengths: The top Italian guard prospect for at least 10 years, can play both guard positions, but he definitely prefers to play PG due to his leadership qualities. He's a natural scorer: can shoot from three very well, hit the middle-range jumper or finish with a lay-up. Has a great fake and hesitations package, which he uses to beat his defender off the dribble or on fast-break. Excellent ball-handler and very good passer as a PG, deadly one-on-one skills as SG. Despite his offensive skills, he's also a solid team player. Very good athleticism makes him able to dunk in many ways and, with quick feet and legs, defend on speedy opponents. Knows the game very well and has an above average basketball IQ. A key characteristic is he always plays at a high intensity level (even in a friendly match). His outlook is bright: he can grow to 6-7 and become a Marko Jaric type of player with more offensive awareness and shooting qualities.

Weaknesses: Needs to increase his body strength and weight, without losing speed and quickness, to absorb physical contact and defend bigger guards. Also needs to learn many aspects about the PG position at high level as he accustomed to playing with poor quality teammates (in young division) and taking all the shots. Another weakness is the low experience although this should be no surprise considering his age.
Ettore Poli - 3/5/2003

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marcobelinelli.html

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For what it's worth they also have us taking a center with both our 24 and 29 pick... :shrug:

Mock drafts are just projections of how good guys are playing and no one matches players to needs until a few weeks from the draft.

Mock drafts at this stage are interesting, but not very useful. There are several reasons why they don't mean much:

1. UNDERCLASSMENT: No one knows who will stay in the draft or pull out. This year it will be especially difficult because so many freshmen and sophomores are highly rated.

2 NCAA TOURNAMENT: No one knows which teams will go deep into the draft. Some exceptional players will have their teams get bumped off early while others will go deep. Strong tounament play can really help a player's stock, but poor seeding hurt others.

3 EUROS: It is very easy for Euros to pull out of the draft. Splitter has been in and out every year he's been old enough. Also, Euros often have contract issues which may mean they will fall much further than their talent would suggest.

4. WORKSOUTS AND THE COMBINE: There are some terrific college players who turn out to be a lot shorter or less athletic than imagined or otherwise don't test well. In other cases, guys who were considered talented rise when it turns out they are better jump athletes that previously imagined.

5. INDIVIDUAL WORKOUTS: Some teams make huge mistakes when guys do better in workouts than on the floor. Still, steals like Amare came from great workouts.

6. GAMESMANSHIP: Teams often lie about their intentions while agents spread rumors about who is interested and problems in other players.

Most of this settles out in the weeks before the draft, but prior to that it is more a "who's improving and who's declining?" process.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
ESPN Insider has a rumor in 'Rumor Central' stating that Horford may be staying in school. Can someone post the rundown on that?

If the Suns get the 4th pick, they need to sit down with Horford and say, "Look. We're gonna pick you at #4. This is your chance to be on a team that can win NOW. If you wait a year, sure you could go #2 or #3, but would you really want to play for a team that actually earned that draft position?"

sunsfn

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Al Horford
NBA Draft
Dad: 'Stay In School'
Mar 12 - It may be a long shot, but Al Horford's father, Tito, told Florida Today before the game that he will encourage his oldest son to stay in school -- no matter where he forecasts in the NBA Draft.Most experts have Horford going in the top 10.
"We will sit down and talk about it like we did last year," said Tito. "And I'll tell him the same thing I did then, that the NBA is always going to be there, but you only get to enjoy college once. When he asks for my advice, I'm going to tell him to stay in school." -- Florida Today

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have it from a pretty good source that the Suns are quite high on Yi.

I think he would be beaten up at PF and doesn't have 3pt range if he plays SF. He appears to be pretty quick for a 7 footer, but he really just looks like a far worse version of Carmelo Anthony to me (or Bargnani without the range?). I suppose it depends which draft position they like him at. 7-10 would not be a problem.

If Horford is putting up that midrange jumper as well as I hear, I think you have to look at him (his offense doesn't sound Suns-ready though). Noah would be a great replacement for KT as well.

I would be more excited by Law (and maybe Thornton) than Yi. They would contribute sooner. I'll be glued to the March Madness tourney to scout some of these guys I haven't seen much. Yay, working at home.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I heard on PTI today that Oden doesn't think he's ready for the NBA, and he sees himself as more of a defender and not a scorer. I don't have a link yet but it sounds a lot like he's thinking very seriously of coming back to school. If that's the case, he sounds very mature and aware of his game. How often do we hear a legitimate #1 pick overall say he's not ready yet?

sunsfn

Reaction score
I heard on PTI today that Oden doesn't think he's ready for the NBA, and he sees himself as more of a defender and not a scorer. I don't have a link yet but it sounds a lot like he's thinking very seriously of coming back to school. If that's the case, he sounds very mature and aware of his game. How often do we hear a legitimate #1 pick overall say he's not ready yet?

We here them say that until after the college season is over and then he realizes that if he was injured he could lose many millions, and then he declares for the NBA draft.

Oden will be in the draft and so will Durant.

I also think Horford will be there.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You hear them say they're unsure whether or not they will come out, but you hardly ever hear them question their own game in such a humble way. Most of the prejected lottery picks are pretty cocky and feel as though they're the next great player. This guy is saying his game is not ready, and mentally he feels like a freshman, not ready for the real world.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I think he would be beaten up at PF and doesn't have 3pt range if he plays SF. He appears to be pretty quick for a 7 footer, but he really just looks like a far worse version of Carmelo Anthony to me (or Bargnani without the range?). I suppose it depends which draft position they like him at. 7-10 would not be a problem.

This guy's athletism is just slightly below KG's level and is at least at the Camby's without injury, but with a much better offensive game. He's got no real low post game yet like the other two though.

He is definitely more athletic than the european 7-footers you mentioned here. So, it's really a debate of preference whether you want a Boozer type instead, in Horford.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6plJTvMW04

Check out this highlight video of Yi JianLian, the music is hilarious.

kid looks pretty decent....a little Dirkish or Bargnaniish.

But, that was a highlight video, so they always look good.....and the fact that he plays for the Chinese National team always makes me weary, especially the way Yao is handled, having to go off and play back home in the offseason.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would love to see him in a full game, even against the CBA scrubs. As far as highlight films go, I'm not very impressed with his. If he can develop a potent three point shot and get 7-8 rebounds/game, then I would be very happy with him. Otherwise, he's pretty much a slasher in the NBA at the moment.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see him in a full game, even against the CBA scrubs. As far as highlight films go, I'm not very impressed with his. If he can develop a potent three point shot and get 7-8 rebounds/game, then I would be very happy with him. Otherwise, he's pretty much a slasher in the NBA at the moment.

You aren't impressed with a 7' slasher? Exactly how many of them are in the NBA right now?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I have it from a pretty good source that the Suns are quite high on Yi.

I haven't seen Yi (nor would I would trust my own scouting if I had), but I'm not high on him. The problem is that Yao Ming turned out to be a walking money machine for Houston, so teams will be looking to draft Yi far earlier than his talent will justify.

On the other hand, maybe this is the solution to the Suns' financial issues. :shrug:

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I haven't seen Yi (nor would I would trust my own scouting if I had), but I'm not high on him. The problem is that Yao Ming turned out to be a walking money machine for Houston, so teams will be looking to draft Yi far earlier than his talent will justify.

On the other hand, maybe this is the solution to the Suns' financial issues. :shrug:

I don't think Yi has the same marketing presitge that Yao did, because he isn't 7'6". He'd probably be on par with Pau Gasol as far as marketing goes.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't think Yi has the same marketing presitge that Yao did, because he isn't 7'6". He'd probably be on par with Pau Gasol as far as marketing goes.

Well maybe having a Chinese star on the Suns will get guys like Amare some spillover votes for the ASG from the Chinese fans!