Draft Prospects thread

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on who could be a second round sleeper? It's early yet but I'm intrigued with the idea of trading down the Suns own pick for something early in the second as a way to have a better chance at keeping a second rookie since they'd be on a short, cheap, and unguaranteed contract. As I've probably beaten to death, I'd like to see the Suns take a chance on Herbert Hill or Petteri Koponen.

check out Avis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvDANEkcUM

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
what do you guys think of DaShaun Wood of Wright state ? has anyone seen him ?? i like things that draftexrpess wright about him

You must be registered for see images attach

The MVP of the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament and our personal favorite from the camp as well obviously hasn’t missed a beat since we last him in early April. He was the most dominant player on the floor in the 5 on 5 pickup game in day one (alongside players like Corey Brewer, Martell Webster, Kirk Snyder, etc), controlling the flow of the game like only a true point guard can and making everyone around him better in every opportunity he had. He showed absolutely terrific court vision and set the table wonderfully while running the show with his excellent leadership skills.

Wood is a true competitor and floor general who doesn’t back down from anyone, despite his size. He succeeded in the rare task of getting a group of players who were just assembled on the fly to execute half-court plays, be unselfish and look like a real team, particularly with the work he did on the pick and roll, where he shows fantastic timing and patience.

When the opportunity was presented to him, he also knocked down shots from 3-point range and got into the paint thanks to his terrific first step, finishing craftily around the hoop (with either hand) in transition especially. There was a lot of value in seeing him in a setting like this alongside other excellent players, as he confirmed what we already suspected in the fact that he’s an NBA caliber athlete.

Wood is clearly in excellent physical shape in anticipation of attending the pre-draft camp in Orlando. He received his invite in between the two days we were in Carson, and was clearly in good spirits after being informed of the good news.

The biggest question mark about him—his size—is not something he’ll be able to dispel no matter how he does in Orlando, but he does play very tough defense, which is extremely important to NBA coaches who often have biases against smaller point guards. We’d like to see him develop a better floater to help him finish in the paint against bigger and more athletic players than he faced here and in college, but he does have an excellent pull-up jumper he can utilize from mid-range to help him compensate.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Who wouldn't like someone like that for the current Suns but just what size is DeShaun?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Some interessting stuff from insider sunsfn.

I guess I am leaning towards Yi at #4 right now, hope that one of Young, Young or Splitter is around at #24, Almond, Williams or Cook at #29. Or somehow move up with the later 2 picks in the #12-16 range for a guy like Thornton , J.Wright or even Hawes.

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
Unless we dump some serious salary I'm afraid I'll be all excited leading up to the draft...

...our pick will come up...

...it will be someone I really like...and minutes later we'll learn that it was traded for cash. There were three guys at our spot who would have made better (and cheaper) backup point guards over Banks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well this draft is too good to trade the #4 pick unless we get a big time allstar out of that trade...(KG).
So many potentially great players to choose from I wish we had 3 top 10 picks. :)

Can't wait for the official measurements, that will probably turn the entire lottery upside down especially between Noah, Wright, Yi and Horford.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
Noah should come in at 7'0 in shoes. He's only an inch shorter than Oden who's 7'1, so... I'm curious to see Horford. He looks taller than 6'8, but I doubt he's 6'10, either. Probably right at 6'9.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Noah really is 7' which I don't think he would rise on almost any board.

That said Yi looks like the #3 pick in the draft right now. Even without all this hype lately, Yi is the biggest lock in this draft to make the allstar team. Unless he is a big bust he will be an even bigger draw in China than Yao.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
A lot of people connected with the team in Gainesville say that Noah is really 7'0, but doesn't like to be listed as such. Even if he's not, he's damn close and definitely 6'11.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone here REALLY think we're going to get that pick? We're a cursed franchise I tell's ya! Cursed!!!!!!!

i'll believe it when I see it, until then, I ain't getting my hopes up for ANYTHING regarding this team anymore.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I guess I am leaning towards Yi at #4 right now,

Just what the Suns need, a huge project who doesn't help them with their two biggest needs, inside rebounding/defense and a future point guard. If the Suns take Yi I think I'll puke

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Just what the Suns need, a huge project who doesn't help them with their two biggest needs, inside rebounding/defense and a future point guard. If the Suns take Yi I think I'll puke

Why would you puke? Last i checked none of us here are international scouts so why would you puke over someone you dont know anything about other than what you read on the internet or the couple short video clips on youtube.

From what i've read from Chad Ford and others, Yi is being compared to Dirk, and with the system we run he'd be a pretty nice complement to Amare if he lives up to his potential.

And hes not a twig, looking at him on Sportscenter last night the guy does look like he has some decent size on him(245lbs), and he should only get stronger as he matures in the NBA. So his post skills and defense should improve with time.

So hes not a "Huge Project" like you say, cause his mid-range to outside game plus his athleticism and handle for a 7footer is what everyone is raving about.

The biggest thing about him is the revenue he'll bring in for his team and the airtime on national TV, which every owner with a lottery selection will be thinking about. (Especially Sarver)

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
why do i have the feeling, Atlanta will get a top 3 pick....

cly2tw

Reaction score
Why would you puke? Last i checked none of us here are international scouts so why would you puke over someone you dont know anything about other than what you read on the internet or the couple short video clips on youtube.

From what i've read from Chad Ford and others, Yi is being compared to another Dirk, and with the system we run he'd be a pretty nice complement to Amare if he lives up to his potential.

And hes not a twig, looking at him on Sportscenter last night the guy does look like he has some decent size on him(245lbs), and he should only get stronger as he matures in the NBA. So his post skills and defense should improve with time.

So hes not a "Huge Project" like you say, cause his mid-range to outside game plus his athleticism and handle for a 7footer is what everyone is raving about.

The biggest thing about him is the revenue he'll bring in for his team and the airtime on national TV, which every owner with a lottery selection will be thinking about. (Especially Sarver)

I don't know about comparison to Dirk, but his athletism for a 7 footer is comparable to KG. And he's got great shots and reasonable handle. The puzzle to me is however that he didn't dominate the Chinese league the way Yao did. And he was thoroughly outplayed by Wang zhzhi in the finals. I'd be cautious despite all the hypes. Well, Griffin did travel to China to see him play in the finals. So, if they decide to pick him, we don't have much to worry about.

HooverDam

Reaction score

From what i've read from Chad Ford and others, Yi is being compared to Dirk, and with the system we run he'd be a pretty nice complement to Amare if he lives up to his potential.

Well the problem with your entire argument is you quoted Chad Ford as if he knew his bum from a hole in the ground. Every year Chad Ford falls in love with an athletic big man from another country, it happens EVERY YEAR. You would think at some point people would realize that Chad Ford, like many people on the internet, has a fetish.

Look, I'm not saying Yi won't be a good player, he might be. But what do we know about him? He hasn't played against particularly high level competition for one. He isn't an inside defensive presence and never will be, and he's not a point guard, the two things the Suns in my opinion need. Furthermore, with D'Antoni's aversion to playing guys who have holes in their game, who knows how much playing time he'd get if he isn't ready to be a major contributor right away.

With this pick, I'm just hoping the Suns go a bit more 'safe,' they are so damned close to a title, and its so freaking obvious that they need another KT type of player, and that type of player might be available, why pass on that? If Horford is there when the Suns pick, I can't see why they'd pass on him. It gives them another person to throw at the Duncans, Boozers, Chris Bosh's, Dwight Howard, et cetera's of the world. Furthermore, can you imagine having Amare and Horford has your front line for the next 7-10 years? You have Amare dominating on one end, while Horford could keep him out of foul trouble on the other end and guard the opposing teams superstar big.

Basically, my point is, do you think the Suns need a guy who in a few years might be a poor mans Dirk, or Pao Gasol? Or do you think they need a guy who could come in right away and be a contributor and eventually be something like Horace Grant, Carlos Boozer, etc? I am very leery of players like Yi who shoot up really quick around draft time because of some cool highlight videos or good work outs, forget that junk. Go with a guy who you know can play against top competition and everyone has been talking about for a while.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
I am very leery of players like Yi who shoot up really quick around draft time because of some cool highlight videos or good work outs, forget that junk. Go with a guy who you know can play against top competition and everyone has been talking about for a while.

Yi has been thought of as a lottery pick for 2 years now going by NBADraft.net

And its not only Chad Ford whos giving him high praises.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread but there's a dispute over Yi's age. He's listed at 19, born in 1987, that's what his passport says.
However his birth year USED to be listed as 1985 not that long ago, making him 21. And there are people who insist that he's actually older than that, maybe as old as 24.

I guess with foreign born players people always wonder about stuff like that but it sounds like based on his size and skill level it's not going to matter, he's going to get drafted very early.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Ok, and how does he help the Suns win a title in 2008? The Suns are ready to win right NOW they need to find a guy who is very NBA ready.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok, and how does he help the Suns win a title in 2008? The Suns are ready to win right NOW they need to find a guy who is very NBA ready.

[I almost finished this post and then a cat managed to jump on my keyboard and reboot my window server. F@&^!]

Yi will probably have the same effect as a 7' Barbosa. He can run around defenders and hit mid-range shots. He will provide little to no help in other areas, but he can be a sparkplug off the bench.

I am more concerned with him playing for the Chinese national team every summer instead of developing his NBA game.

I'm not on the Yi bandwagon, but he is unique and should be fun to watch.