" Final" thoughts on Edgerrin James

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I don't go completely out of my mind , I have come to this conclusion.

If we obtain James I will be ecstatic. I'm not going to be upset in any way , shape or form. I won't care how much they pay or what the ramifications MIGHT be with such a deal down the road. I going to look forward to the draft and will be of the mindset that anything less than a playoff birth will be a disappointment.

If we don't obtain James I am going to accept the fact that he is just not worth the money and quite possibly be a guy who has already seen his best days. I will pray that the Cards are able to get a super rb (actually two rb's) and a super cb. Everything else will be gravy. I must add, that if this happens I still believe this team would have all the pieces to make it to the playoffs.

It sure would be nice to have a "Corvette" like Edgerrin in our backfield but I wonder if we should pay "Porche" money for him.

Maybe we can just wait and get ourselves a "Cadillac"..... as in Williams.

This is not a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Its more like cool if we do, cool if we don't.

THATS IT. I'm not going to worry about this ANYMORE! :rolleyes:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I feel the same way now

With Green drafting, I feel it is a win, win, situation no matter what route we go. I have jumped back and forth with the James issue but find myself happy no matter what side I choose at the given moment. Currently, it is great to be a Cardinal fan!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
With Green drafting, I feel it is a win, win, situation no matter what route we go. I have jumped back and forth with the James issue but find myself happy no matter what side I choose at the given moment. Currently, it is great to be a Cardinal fan!

I agree...we either get James or we don't.

But those people who say they don't want James because it will cost too much money or becuase we might be in salary cap hell in 2 or 3 years....

I SAY :barf:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
:raccoon:

I finally have enought faith in a Cards' head coach that I trust that he will do what is necessary.

The only thing that worries me about James is the lack of long distance runs since his knee injuries. His worn down knee (or the possibility of) also worries me.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
:raccoon:

I finally have enought faith in a Cards' head coach that I trust that he will do what is necessary.

The only thing that worries me about James is the lack of long distance runs since his knee injuries. His worn down knee (or the possibility of) also worries me.

Thats a real conern. Would we be getting a rb that has seen his best days? Is Edgerrin James a benefactor of an offensive juggarnaut? Would we be happy if he were to "only " get 1200 yds for us? Would he be worth the money if he never reached 1300 yards again?

Damn it Arthur, I said i was done thinking about this! :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have seen the best of James. He has probably used up 65% of what was in his tank. Do you really think the Colts would give this guy up if he was the same player he was 3-4 yrs ago? NO WAY. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with a young stud out of college. Do you think that James would have fared significantly better than Emmitt did last year. He would have gained maybe another 100 yds. James is now a plodder, slow to the hole & he has an uncanny ability of fumbling before he gets into the endzone. Having the NFL Ticket, I watched a lot of the Colts last year. He's still a good RB, but he's no longer great. I'd rather bring in a college kid & watch him in his PRIME than settle for an ALMOST over-the-hill guy. Trading for James would set his franchise back a few years & we all know what that means - $HITSVILLE.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
Do you think that James would have fared significantly better than Emmitt did last year. He would have gained maybe another 100 yds. James is now a plodder, slow to the hole & he has an uncanny ability of fumbling before he gets into the endzone. QUOTE]

second most ridiculous post of the day. the only reason it is number 2 is because i KNOW this board and the denizens that dwell hereon and someone in some thread had to say SOMETHING more ridiculous than this.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I was just about to mention the Faulk trade.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
PACardsFan said:
Do you think that James would have fared significantly better than Emmitt did last year. He would have gained maybe another 100 yds. James is now a plodder, slow to the hole & he has an uncanny ability of fumbling before he gets into the endzone. QUOTE]

second most ridiculous post of the day. the only reason it is number 2 is because i KNOW this board and the denizens that dwell hereon and someone in some thread had to say SOMETHING more ridiculous than this.
Ridiculous or not, my point is that I'd rather draft a young stud at #8 than trade for a guy who has seen his better days. I want to watch a guy in his PRIME, so that when they're in the HOF, they will be wearing a Cardinal helmet. If this franchise wants to be consistently good, they will have to avoid the temptation of trading for RB's over 30 yrs old. James would be a band-aid.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I am equally conflicted --

I like the thought of a proven top back added to the offense, and the promise of a significantly better team next year. I like the message it sends to the team, its fans and the community -- the Cardinals EXPECT to win next year... not the next year, or the year after that.

What I worry about is that James does look a little like a plodder now -- little of the burst he used to have, and I wonder if teams are so worried about Manning that they are content to give up the 4 yards to Edge.

If I KNEW that the Cards could get Cadillac (my preference of the top three) at 8, I wouldnt be that anxious to get the Edge. But it looks like all three will be gone by 8, and where the Cards pick in the second seems like no-mans land-- I think the several of the next tier of backs could be gone by the time of the second round pick.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
I have absolutely no worries when it comes to our RB. No matter what we will get one of the SEVEN available RBs, and I would be happy with all of them. :thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
Alright James isn't over 30, but he has too much wear & tear

my god, he's not close to over 30. he's 26! and yeah, some wear and tear, but by your math i'm over 50!

(i'm 36 - but i've got a slip shoulder, a degenerative shoulder, a reconstructed knee, a cracked rib, a five-time broken ankle, a broken vertebrae, a broken thumb, a twice broken cheekbone, a twice broken eye socket, and a three time broken nose - that's a lot of wear and tear also - aw, who am i kidding, it's the glue factory for me . . . sigh)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
I want to watch a guy in his PRIME, so that when they're in the HOF,

considering that we've drafted garrison hearst and thomas jones in the first round i think you're reaching.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:
I have absolutely no worries when it comes to our RB. No matter what we will get one of the SEVEN available RBs, and I would be happy with all of them. :thumbup:

you know what? this might be the best attitude take. by seven i assume you mean:

benson
cadillac
brown
henry
bennett
james
alexander

correct?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you know what? this might be the best attitude take. by seven i assume you mean:

benson
cadillac
brown
henry
bennett
james
alexander

correct?

I agree how could we argue with any of them :shrug:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
(i'm 36 - but i've got a slip shoulder, a degenerative shoulder, a reconstructed knee, a cracked rib, a five-time broken ankle, a broken vertebrae, a broken thumb, a twice broken cheekbone, a twice broken eye socket, and a three time broken nose - that's a lot of wear and tear also - aw, who am i kidding, it's the glue factory for me . . . sigh)
Damn! Are you a professional stuntman or something?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can't understand all this talk of James being past his prime, he is what 26 years old???? He's got at least 5 years of good football left in him. He's hardly a washed up bum or useless like Smith was when we signed him (I was dead set against his signing).

IF a deal can be worked out for James wouldn't it make sense to get a guy who has proven he can play over a guy coming out of college that we think might be able to play?

A second round pick & Raynoch Thompson might work. Or a second rounder and a conditional pick next year.

The financials can be worked out without making the Cards dwell in cap hell...the cap is increasing in the coming years. You also have to believe in the front office, they will do the right and smart thing.

If they are unable to work out a deal for James, fine, but they better give it their best shot to get him. It would show us just how badly they want to win.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Renz said:

no, i played that crypto-fascist ground game through my sophomore year in college (the knee ended that) and then a lot of basketball injuries and one run-in on bourbon street at 3 in morning with 3 skinheads.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prediction -

None of these guys is going to want to come cheap (except perhaps Henry will get antsy and trim his jib a little).

I think we have to talk to everybody and take our best shot (because the updside is so incredible for us), but not in a way where we could wind up nowhere close to any of these guys' demands while meanwhile losing Hartwell because we've delayed things to "give the RB's the chance to catch up."

Our negotiating stance has to be set up in a way where Dennis and Rod keep control of the timetable and not let the RB's and their agents commandeer our agenda.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
We have seen the best of James. He has probably used up 65% of what was in his tank. Do you really think the Colts would give this guy up if he was the same player he was 3-4 yrs ago? NO WAY. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with a young stud out of college. Do you think that James would have fared significantly better than Emmitt did last year. He would have gained maybe another 100 yds. James is now a plodder, slow to the hole & he has an uncanny ability of fumbling before he gets into the endzone. Having the NFL Ticket, I watched a lot of the Colts last year. He's still a good RB, but he's no longer great. I'd rather bring in a college kid & watch him in his PRIME than settle for an ALMOST over-the-hill guy. Trading for James would set his franchise back a few years & we all know what that means - $HITSVILLE.

Yeah, I want nothing to do with a guy who had 1500 plus yards rushing last year...his best years are behind him :rolleyes:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
Renz said:

No I bet he was his brothers punching bag as a little kid.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
Great so what you're saying is lets be the laughing stock of the NFL for a long time right? I'm sick of tired of seeing other pathetic teams like the Bucs,Pats,Rams and Ravens turned their team around and win the SuperBowl. Something has to give since this is our time to win the big one and If it means we have to sign a gamebreaker elite top 5 back then I say we do it.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
Do you really think the Colts would give this guy up if he was the same player he was 3-4 yrs ago?

Yes, they would. They dont have the cap space to re-sign him, and most importantly they have finally figured out no matter how good their O is if their D isnt even average they will never get to the super bowl. They need the money to spend on Defense.