Fire D'Antoni!

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I know 90% of the board will jump all over me for reacting so negatively just 1/2 game into the season. So, I can save you the trouble by saying this - I have been in favor of firing Coach D for over a year now.

Reasons he sucks:

1. The Hell with the situation or players - his system must be played. He is the most stubborn coach since Norman Dale. I am just waiting for him play with 4 players one of these days rather than go to his bench.

2. He has Grant Hill parked on the 3-pt. line... and it isn't working. He is not good at that shot. He is much better mid-range... but again, it is all about his system.

3. He will continue to limit his rotation, and when injuries or suspensions occur - we have no one that can play his system. Of course they can play, but not very well in his system.

4. His system has delivered exactly ZERO championships. AND it can be argued that his system and refusal to adjust has cost the Suns at least one championship.

Positives.

1. His system is fun to watch, and taylor made for Steve Nash's skill set.

... that's the only positive thing I can say... and I almost want to say that his system would be much less effective without Nash.

One more point; Doug Collins commented that in the 4th year, Scottie Pippen and MJ were finally able to break through the Piston Barrier and win... and also in the 4th year, Kobe and Shaq broke through. He feels the Suns, now in their 4th year are ready for that next step. GUESS WHAT CHANGED IN THE PRIOR TWO SCENARIOS TO START THEIR RUNS? That's right, coaching changes!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please! Its the first game of the season! What a bunch of sad fans in this state. Have a little loyalty to one of the best coaches we have had here in along time.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Please! Its the first game of the season! What a bunch of sad fans in this state. Have a little loyalty to one of the best coaches we have had here in along time.

Nashman, can you please read my first comment... please.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
And guess who those coaches were? Phil Jackson!

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Ok so you have been wrong or a bad fan for over a year whats your point?

Nashman, why don't you give us the reasons why D'Antoni should stay. Keep in mind, he has two 1st teammers on his squad. Another All-Star. A 1st team all defensive player, and another that was third in the voting for defensive player of the year - AND the 6th Man of the year.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
i may be willing to get rid of DA if they dont win this year. i guess it all depends on how they lose. last year against SA, defense wasn't the problem. it was trying to score against them.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If not for the Suns style of play who gives a crap, I wouldn't watch if we played slow down pound it in BBall with scores like the Eastern conference.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with krispy lets see how the suns do in the playoffs this year at hopefully full strength then if they don't win it you can get rid of DA and bring in a more defensive type coach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or a bad fan for over a year whats your point?

jeez, this is completely unnecessary. come on man, leave this type of crap off the board. is there anything more insulting on a message board than calling someone a bad fan?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think he should be fired right now, but I do think this should be his make or break year.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
whatever cheese! Why don't you not worry about calling people out all the time for nothing. its like you search for the VERY FEW negative comments people make and try to say thats all I post. Could you go find someone else to harass, seriously?

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
whatever cheese! Why don't you not worry about calling people out all the time for nothing. its like you search for the VERY FEW negative comments people make and try to say thats all I post. Could you go find someone else to harass, seriously?

Nashman, other than your 'entertainment' pleasure - what basketball reasons do you give for keeping D'Antoni as a Head Coach for the Phoenix Suns.

Cheese... I have been hoping and waiting for D'Antoni to win it 'this' year. Last year was my 'this' year. He blew it when he failed to develop a bench, and thus the 2 suspensions killed us - we had no one to go to in that situation.

One more thing, before some claim the 'bench' issue wasn't the Coaches problem... ask yourself, "Who was the GM that was responsible for having a bench he could use?"

So... hope I didn't put a black cloud on tonight's game. But, it is just the way I feel.

BTW, Remember why Grant Hill created so much excitement this summer... we had a guy that would create his own shot! Look at his stats tonight and his shot selection. That is due to 'the system', IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If not for the Suns style of play who gives a crap, I wouldn't watch if we played slow down pound it in BBall with scores like the Eastern conference.

you know there is a happy medium, right? one doesn't have to go from dantoni's freewheeling style to old ny knicks thuggery. how about a little flexibility on coach d's part? honestly, i think coach d has to go if they don't win it this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese... I have been hoping and waiting for D'Antoni to win it 'this' year. Last year was my 'this' year. He blew it when he failed to develop a bench, and thus the 2 suspensions killed us - we had no one to go to in that situation.

Believe me, I'd be with you if the suspensions didn't happen and we still lost, but they did, thus I just can't hang all of that on DA. A lot of people forget that he tried to develop the bench at the beginning of last season and we sucked, so he had to play catch up the rest of the year and every time he did try to use the bench, it continued to falter. It's not his fault that Sarver was too cheap/arrogant to keep BC and put the GM hat on his head. So I can't fault him there.

This is it though - put up or shut up - he now has all his "weapons" and can outrun anyone. so he sinks or swims this year IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I'd be with you if the suspensions didn't happen and we still lost, but they did, thus I just can't hang all of that on DA. A lot of people forget that he tried to develop the bench at the beginning of last season and we sucked, so he had to play catch up the rest of the year and every time he did try to use the bench, it continued to falter. It's not his fault that Sarver was too cheap/arrogant to keep BC and put the GM hat on his head. So I can't fault him there.

This is it though - put up or shut up - he now has all his "weapons" and can outrun anyone. so he sinks or swims this year IMO.

The Suns bench was weak last season so maybe D'antoni is not a great GM. However he is a great coach. Just look at his record over the last three seasons and he is a great fit for the Suns. If one wants to be playing for the lottery, try firing D'Antoni and see what bad is like.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
yea Tucson, i dont know what you want him to do, chopblock amare and diaw from going on the court? he's got some bad breaks, you are going to jump on the best coach we have had in this state in a long time if not ever? we're doing just fine with our coaching situation here in AZ.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how anyone can want D'Antoni fired...I really don't get it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns bench was weak last season so maybe D'antoni is not a great GM. However he is a great coach.

great coach? He's very good, but he's yet to show he's great. Greatness is reserved for coaches that get more out talent than they should (Ben Howland and Larry Brown come to mind) or coaches that win titles. DA's neither of those.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05