Fire D'Antoni!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well clearly D'Antoni's goal isn't to win a championship. (sarcasm)
Is that management's priority?

Or is it to run their business at a maximum profit by filling the seats during the regular season and getting lucrative TV deals?

Despite his foam finger, they're investors first and perhaps fans second. That's certainly understandable.

We're fans (short for fanatics) and we want a Championship during the remaining Steve Nash years. Anything less would be a (continued) disappointment.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that management's priority?

Or is it to run their business at a maximum profit by filling the seats during the regular season and getting lucrative TV deals?

Despite his foam finger, they're investors first and perhaps fans second. That's certainly understandable.

We're fans (short for fanatics) and we want a Championship during the remaining Steve Nash years.

The truth is the Suns probably want to make a profit and win a title.

One isn't necessarily exclusive of the other. I am confident we will win a title this year. Have faith :)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great coaches aren't just born that way geesh. DA is a very good coach and obviously will get better with time. And clearly he is looked upon as a good coach league wide and teams are even trying to adopt our type of play. His system 10 yrs from now could be looked upon as revolutionary and could have saved the NBA from the crap it was turning into. Few years down the road and a few championships and he would be considered the BEST coach ever for the Suns. Just saying its way to early for him to be the scapegoat with some of the things that happened. JJ going down, Amare out all season, suspensions and you all freaking know the crap this team has had to deal with and its not DA fault. He made the game interesting to watch again, and professional sports is ENTERTAINMENT and we should all just thank god we have a great team to watch, and not the freakin Pistons or some crap team from the east.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not lost on me how some Suns fans quibble about winning while Seattle is just trying to keep it's franchise. I'm beginning to think many Suns fans are spoiled as they moan from their lofty perch. I still remember the Suns after the drug scandal many years ago when Jerry Colangelo bought the Suns to keep the franchise from being moved out of town.

It's easy to forget what the bottom looks like. I haven't. These are the good old days. I'm just waiting for the topping (a Championship) to be put on the cake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not lost on me how some Suns fans quibble about winning while Seattle is just trying to keep it's franchise. I'm beginning to think many Suns fans are spoiled as they moan from their lofty perch. I still remember the Suns after the drug scandal many years ago when Jerry Colangelo bought the Suns to keep the franchise from being moved out of town.

It's easy to forget what the bottom looks like. I haven't. These are the good old days. I'm just waiting for the topping (a Championship) to be put on the cake.

seriously - who's doing more bitching here? There's been ONE person who said fire DA NOW and NO ONE else who's agreed with him. Then there's been a couple people who have said he's a very good coach but think it's put up or shut up time, then there's the MAJORITY of the thread BASHING those people calling them bad fans, idiotic, disployal, bandwaggon jumpers, ridiculous, telling them to root for other teams, etc, etc.. I think those complaining about the bitching might want to look in the mirror and realize they're being incredibly hypocritical right now, considering they're doing the majority of the bitching... and not even about baskteball, but about other fans.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that you Cheesebeef? :)

Seriously, I've never seen so many unhappy people after a win.

people keep saying that there's a lot of unhappy people here but I just don't see it. Are we not allowed to talk about what this year means for the Suns? I mean people are basically saying they EXPECT to win the title (and if not coaching should be looked at) and that constitutes unhappiness? I'd say that's a sign of incredible optimism. It's not like people are saying we WON'T win a title (save ONE person) - most of us are saying we should and if we don't... ah forget, people are gonna rip fans regardless, especially when those fans aren't blowing smoke up the beloved franchise's ass constanty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people keep saying that there's a lot of unhappy people here but I just don't see it. Are we not allowed to talk about what this year means for the Suns? I mean people are basically saying they EXPECT to win the title (and if not coaching should be looked at) and that constitutes unhappiness? I'd say that's a sign of incredible optimism. It's not like people are saying we WON'T win a title (save ONE person) - most of us are saying we should and if we don't... ah forget, people are gonna rip fans regardless, especially when those fans aren't blowing smoke up the beloved franchise's ass constanty.

Yes, we are a happy group. I personally really enjoy the system D'Antoni has brought to the Suns. I want the Suns to win a Championship probably more than most, but I refuse to lay the lack of a Championship at D'Antoni's doorstep.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheesebeef could be right and I could easily be incorrect in my perception that the board is edgy right now.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I think that if the Suns don't win the title they should definitely fire Mike. Then we can go back to having a new head coach every 18 months like we did for the decade before he was hired.

I was sick of any sort of stability or sense of direction from this franchise anyways.

You fire D'Antoni you shut the book on this suns squad. No one else is going to get more out of Nash, who our "window" is built around. So if you get rid of Mike, you may as well trade Steve and officially close the window. Trade Marion for young prospects and salary relief and go into rebuild mode.

Absolutely ridiculous

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I think that if the Suns don't win the title they should definitely fire Mike. Then we can go back to having a new head coach every 18 months like we did for the decade before he was hired.

I was sick of any sort of stability or sense of direction from this franchise anyways.
I completely agree! In fact, even if the Suns win the championship, if they don't sweep it in four games, they should fire D'Antoni. There's no excuse for losing games in this league. Like the tone of this board, I expect us to go 82-0 and sweep our way through the postseason.

I'm sure that's what Frank Johnson would have done had we given him more time...

:sarcasm:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Hey, Andy - LTNS

Then we can go back to having a new head coach every 18 months like we did for the decade before he was hired.

Was it really that short of a time... it seemed to me that FJ was filling the HC slot for at least five years... Maybe it was that I got a head start on disliking him for the position before he was promoted to it.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You fire D'Antoni you shut the book on this suns squad. No one else is going to get more out of Nash, who our "window" is built around. So if you get rid of Mike, you may as well trade Steve and officially close the window. Trade Marion for young prospects and salary relief and go into rebuild mode.

Pretty much agree 100%. And I'm not even totally against rebuild mode, but I doubt this front office could pull it off. It would only be a matter of time before Amare wanted out too.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Hey, Andy - LTNS

Was it really that short of a time... it seemed to me that FJ was filling the HC slot for at least five years... Maybe it was that I got a head start on disliking him for the position before he was promoted to it.

I've been around a good amount still, just been forced to lurk a lot more lately. I just had to pipe up on this one though (and its nice to actually post again)

I exagerated a little bit. But between 91-92 and 03-04 the Suns had 7 head coaches (cotton coaching twice), which is actually a lot closer to averaging 1.5 seasons a head coach that I thought.

Frank had half of a season after Skiles left. Then he had 1 full season, and was fired half way through his 3rd season. In all he actually coached only 134 games or around 1 and 2/3 seasons.

My main arguement is that if you fire Mike, you may as well blow it all up and put some good young talent around Leandro, Amare and Boris. Bringing in a different coach won't do anything but make this squad worse.

It would be making a change just to make a change.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
To those that think I am 'jumping off' the bandwagon, please read on:

To those that think I am a 'bandwagon' fan, please read on:

To those that think I am too negative to be a Suns fan, please read on:

OK, now. I have been a Suns since Alvin Adams, Dennis Johnson, Rich Kelly, Kyle Macy, and Jeff FREAKIN' Cook (circa 1981). In fact, I always demanded a #4 jersey so I could be Kyle Macy when playing in youth leagues. I have supported this franchise since then, every year. To be called a 'bandwagon' fan is just a low blow. Then, to say I am jumping off?

FOLKS - Quit taking this criticism so personal. I am merely frustrated with the DA system. I don't think his system can win a championship. I will be the FIRST to apologize if proven wrong this next summer.

Can we now get on with life?

Go Suns, Go DA... :suns::koolaid::beer:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The fact that a guy like cheese and ouchie (whose opinions I both value and sometimes disagree with) who have been in some of the most classic confrontations on this board and can be more than just a little condescending from time to time - are now killing people for "attacking style" is kinda laughable. As long as no one goes too far can we just all stop being the polite police and let people go at it a little bit. I for one think if someone is legitimately going to think that DA should be fired they SHOULD be told where to go sit IMO.

hey, how come i get lumped in w/ my bro? i haven't acted like the police. in fact, i think cheese is too quick to jump to those conclusions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree completely. How many of us only watch the Suns games, and find most of the league unwatchable? I know I do. Would we really want a Pat Riley type of coach here?

honestly? as much as i enjoy watching the suns style of play, i'd be happy with any coach that wins. the more they win, the more i'd love 'em. if riley were to make this team like the old knicks and win a championship with them, i'd love them. winning is all that matters to me at this point. we've had years of pretty basketball that hasn't gotten us the ultimate goal of sports.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As a Sacramento resident, I heard the "Fire Adelman" rants across the city loud and far too often. I found it udderly ridiculous, even as a Suns fan, because the Kings were winning. They fire him, and now look where the Kings are at.

You think Kings fans wish they could have that wish back now?

you think they're not winning b/c they don't have adelman? they're not winning b/c they got old and lost a great deal in terms of their talent level. c'mon . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear who you think is a great coach, considering you dismiss DA's success b/c of the players he has.

The coaches who come to mind are Phil, LB, Pops, and Riley (Did anybody else win a championship lately?) And for everyone of those you could make the argument their success came from the players they coached.

you could, but you could also say they won championships. coach d has not. you made your counterpoint for us.