Fire D'Antoni!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like Sloan as a coach so I do not really want to go there. However, IMO, the Jazz team would be a much better team playing in D'Antoni's system. They have a very nice cast of players to get up and down the court and would be a formidable running team.

okur would not fit and boozer would be somewhat less effective.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okur would not fit and boozer would be somewhat less effective.

I also think it's complete folly to think Sloan wouldn't fit here. If anything, he seems to be the type of coach that COULD get this team over the hump - why? His teams DO run (last year's squad averaged 101.5 ppg, good for 7th in the league and the early and even WCF Jazz teams ran as well) and they always play GREAT defense. That being said, it wouldn't be a possibility so it's not worth really discussing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cheesebeef could be right and I could easily be incorrect in my perception that the board is edgy right now.

eh, i actually think you're a bit right. we ended last season on a real sour note and then the whole stern excusing the refs thing kinda put that taste back in our mouths . . . and we haven't had basketball to really toss around since the bad taste . . . once we get rolling again i think we'll see less of an edge and more of people enjoying the season really just waiting for the playoffs. then edgy will go to a colossal new level.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FOLKS - Quit taking this criticism so personal. I am merely frustrated with the DA system. I don't think his system can win a championship. I will be the FIRST to apologize if proven wrong this next summer.

I still haven't seen you give any suggestions on who is available to coach the team and could lead them to a championship.

I don't think it's likely this team will win a championship, but I don't think it's D'Antoni's fault and I idon't see the team getting better with any other coach.

Errntknght

Reaction score
thegrahamcrker,
My main arguement is that if you fire Mike, etc...

Good to have you posting... I agree with your main point, though in the heat of recrimination I may well call for his head some days.

Its so frustrating because the problems I see are the same all the time - too short of a bench to keep the tempo up all game long, no defensive assistant coach, bigs never learning to play position D/rebounding, the baseline is a much underutilized resource, no one ever sets an off-ball screen. Sheesh the Sonics go into a zone and nobody moves into the middle though Hill or Boris are very well suited to that maneuver. Amare wouldn't be half bad for that matter.

You have to agree this is all pretty ordinary basketball stuff and D'Antoni doesn't seem to have a clue - and none of it is inconsistent with his 'system'. KT comes here and demonstrates how valuable some of those things are but all Mike noticed was that he wasn't quick up and down the floor.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great coaches aren't just born that way geesh. DA is a very good coach and obviously will get better with time. And clearly he is looked upon as a good coach league wide and teams are even trying to adopt our type of play. His system 10 yrs from now could be looked upon as revolutionary and could have saved the NBA from the crap it was turning into. Few years down the road and a few championships and he would be considered the BEST coach ever for the Suns. Just saying its way to early for him to be the scapegoat with some of the things that happened. JJ going down, Amare out all season, suspensions and you all freaking know the crap this team has had to deal with and its not DA fault. He made the game interesting to watch again, and professional sports is ENTERTAINMENT and we should all just thank god we have a great team to watch, and not the freakin Pistons or some crap team from the east.

I just wanted to say to Nashman and Thegrahamcrackr, your most excellent posts have not been lost on me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also think it's complete folly to think Sloan wouldn't fit here. If anything, he seems to be the type of coach that COULD get this team over the hump - why? His teams DO run (last year's squad averaged 101.5 ppg, good for 7th in the league and the early and even WCF Jazz teams ran as well) and they always play GREAT defense. That being said, it wouldn't be a possibility so it's not worth really discussing.

And I think D'Antoni could get Utah team over the hump.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think D'Antoni could get Utah team over the hump.

based on what? His performance as coach of the Suns without Nash, his performance as coach of the Nuggets? The fact that their talent is completely wrong for his "system" with Boozer and Okur NOT being running players? The fact that he doesn't stress defense or rebounding, which are staples of the Jazz success last year? How exactly can he get them over the hump in your opinion?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
based on what? His performance as coach of the Suns without Nash, his performance as coach of the Nuggets? The fact that their talent is completely wrong for his "system" with Boozer and Okur NOT being running players? The fact that he doesn't stress defense or rebounding, which are staples of the Jazz success last year? How exactly can he get them over the hump in your opinion?

I basically believe Deron Williams is made to run a high octane offense. Also I have noticed the Jazz run rather well with the Suns and they are more than adept at shooting the outside shot (such as Okur). AK would also be a nice fit with a running team.

Also as you said:
His teams DO run (last year's squad averaged 101.5 ppg, good for 7th in the league and the early and even WCF Jazz teams ran as well) and they always play GREAT defense.

So can the Jazz run or not?

If I were the Jazz FO and D'Antoni were available (say Sloan retired) I would grab him up in a minute. Also do you think your evaluation of D'Antoni for his brief stay in Denver is fair? He never had a fair opportunity to turn that team around. Also, D'Antoni himself said he needed the right PG to run his system in Phoenix. Do you give him no credit in choosing Nash... a player than Mark Cuban let walk.

I also think it's complete folly to think D'Antoni wouldn't fit in Utah and be very successful.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I basically believe Deron Williams is made to run a high octane offense. Also I have noticed the Jazz run rather well with the Suns and they are more than adept at shooting the outside shot (such as Okur). AK would also be a nice fit with a running team.

Also as you said:

So can the Jazz run or not?

they run, but they don't run like a DA team does and you know that. Okur and Boozer would be gassed by the second quarter.

If I were the Jazz FO and D'Antoni were available (say Sloan retired) I would grab him up in a minute. Also do you think your evaluation of D'Antoni for his brief stay in Denver is fair?

and thus the reason I started that question by first pointing to the putrid way we've played with Steve Nash in the lineup. I put it in his entire body of work, which is basically when he doesn't have the best PG since Magic Johnson, his "system" has flat out stunk - period.

Also, D'Antoni himself said he needed the right PG to run his system in Phoenix. Do you give him no credit in choosing Nash... a player than Mark Cuban let walk.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say a thing about giving DA no credit with Nash, even though I'm sure that BC and JC were just as instrumental in getting and wanting Nash as DA is.

I also think it's complete folly to think D'Antoni wouldn't fit in Utah and be very successful.

The fact that the Jazz are a 33% 3 point shooting team and have plodders at the 4 and 5 just make me scratch my head at why you think DA could get them over the hump when his "system" depends on outrunning you and outshooting you from three.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I still haven't seen you give any suggestions on who is available to coach the team and could lead them to a championship.

Gregg Poppovich... I already suggested his name. Another, the Devil, Phil. those are two...

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I just have to say. I am somewhat surprised by the Coach D'Antoni defenders. What has he done? He hasn't done anything that Paul Westphaul didn't do. What if I said that Paul Westphaul was a great coach, would you agree? Paul led the team to the Finals (uncharted for Mike D.) He also just lost to the eventual champs (Houston) twice, as did Coach D. So, are they equal?

Consider - Westphaul's teams were torn apart after the Finals run, he suffered MAJOR injuries to KJ, Manning, and others. He was blessed with only one NBA MVP (D'Antoni has had two). He was fired after a short time (less than 5 years).

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
How do you propose getting either one? Especially now the season has started?

SunsTzu... please go back and read my posts. I have made it clear that this should be his last year - and He should KNOW IT ALL YEAR LONG.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SunsTzu... please go back and read my posts. I have made it clear that this should be his last year - and He should KNOW IT ALL YEAR LONG.

So the Suns fire him after this season and bring in Popavich next season. Makes perfect sense.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
i may have to re-evaulate my standing after 30 games instead of after the season. this team has shown ZERO improvement from last year so far. diaw looks like garbage still, defense is almost non-existant (playing hard for 1 series and than taking 3 off doesnt count)

im starting to get tired of the all out running game. i would love for once to see the suns capable of just shutting a team down and executing in a half court offense. a team can still be entertaining if you have the right mix of players.

i guess we'll see how the season plays out.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To those that think I am 'jumping off' the bandwagon, please read on:

To those that think I am a 'bandwagon' fan, please read on:

To those that think I am too negative to be a Suns fan, please read on:

OK, now. I have been a Suns since Alvin Adams, Dennis Johnson, Rich Kelly, Kyle Macy, and Jeff FREAKIN' Cook (circa 1981). In fact, I always demanded a #4 jersey so I could be Kyle Macy when playing in youth leagues. I have supported this franchise since then, every year. To be called a 'bandwagon' fan is just a low blow. Then, to say I am jumping off?

FOLKS - Quit taking this criticism so personal. I am merely frustrated with the DA system. I don't think his system can win a championship. I will be the FIRST to apologize if proven wrong this next summer.

Can we now get on with life?

Go Suns, Go DA... :suns::koolaid::beer:
I wish i could have been on the board earlier to pretty much echo your feelings. I feel the same & have said the same(pretty much) and was vehemently blasted for it. Like i shot Steve Nash's dog or something.
It's not the coaching, it's not the lack of talent,and it's not bad luck. Its the system. The post-season is a marathon & the SUNS are trying to win it with a track-star mentality by running a system that simply won't get it done. DA IMO is a very good coach & i think he's improving every year by showing a little more flexability & attitude. If i were the GM of the L.A. Clippers i'd do everything in my power to get him in to run his system & sell some tickets while entertaining the fans in L.A.(they love to be entertained);)
I've also been a fan since my first live game in '81 & i thought Westphaul was a joke of a head coach personally(except when he needed to run a play out of a time-out with the game on the line). I didn't fault him for the '93 finals loss but to get so badly out-coached by Tomjanovich 2 years in a row?!...Ugh..sorry bout that rant.
Why is it that so many SUNS fans believe that because we've been wildly entertained & made the playoffs 3 yrs in a row(i think?) that we're right on the cusp of winning it all? We've got a good shot at a title...sure. I'd argue that the Utah Jazz are a little closer. Why? The system.
But hey...at least were being entertained.:thumbup:
Ok..... let the darts fly.........:deadhorse2:Not all of us are living on Planet Orange where the SUNS have no flaws. Stupid but relevant analogy here....the SUNS kryptonite is the post-season under D'Antonis system.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Coach is Insane

“We’re going to have to front people, we’re going to have to double-team people and we’re going to really have to run around a little bit and get wild,” D’Antoni said. “That’s been our characteristic but now … it doesn’t matter why, we just can’t repeat this and understand it can’t happen too many times in the year.”

Just because we play small does not mean we have to double every single player in the league! Remember 2 years ago, when Raja and a few other players went up to Coach and told him that the doubling wasn't effective? Coach listened and they went on a defensive tear, holding opponents around 94 ppg for a stretch. KT went down and they went back to doubling. Skinner isn't KT but I'd much rather see them man up then scramble and leave a bunch of cutters and shooters wide open.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have said since last year, this is it for D'Antoni. If he doesn't take us to the promise land I am ready to part with him. I am willing to give him this year providing the Suns don't go into a nose dive.

• I am sick of Amare getting into foul trouble playing out of position.
  • I am sick of the Suns playing small against everybody.
  • I am sick of Defense not being a priority.
  • I am sick of Rebounding not being a priority.
  • I am sick of D'Antoni trying to force guys out of their game and making them do something else.
  • I am sick of having some of the most talent in the NBA without a title.
That is all on D'Antoni. I am sorry but this year is it for me and supporting him. I really don't want him to get ousted now because there has been no team in NBA history to do that and do anything the same year.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't be fired until we don't make the playoffs. Guaranteed.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I have said since last year, this is it for D'Antoni. If he doesn't take us to the promise land I am ready to part with him. I am willing to give him this year providing the Suns don't go into a nose dive.
  • I am sick of Amare getting into foul trouble playing out of position.
  • I am sick of the Suns playing small against everybody.
  • I am sick of Defense not being a priority.
  • I am sick of Rebounding not being a priority.
  • I am sick of D'Antoni trying to force guys out of their game and making them do something else.
  • I am sick of having some of the most talent in the NBA without a title.
That is all on D'Antoni. I am sorry but this year is it for me and supporting him. I really don't want him to get ousted now because there has been no team in NBA history to do that and do anything the same year.
I agree. It would be hard for me to argue against any of these points. The longer this goes on, the more frustrated I become.

I don't think he will be fired however. The Suns have an appealing product on the floor, have sold out 70+ games in a row, and have been the appointed darlings of the NBA by the national media. The NBA is about business as well, and business might get in the way of any change on the coaching front.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05