Fire Robert Sarver

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His problem today isn't that he's a fan of the team, it's that he has no idea how the league and sport actually works.
And, that being the case, he doesn't have the common sense to hire a President of Basketball Operations to oversee all on-court operations. Don't you think that still comes down to ego?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And, that being the case, he doesn't have the common sense to hire a President of Basketball Operations to oversee all on-court operations. Don't you think that still comes down to ego?
Um, sure. There's no disputing that. What I'm disputing is your use of the foam finger as solid reasoning for that opinion. And it simply isn't IMO.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Um, sure. There's no disputing that. What I'm disputing is your use of the foam finger as solid reasoning for that opinion. And it simply isn't IMO.

Chap, I was very hesitant to reply and repeat my reasoning. I did not think it was appropriate at the time for a brand new owner to call attention to himself in the stands.

He hadn't earned the right to be an instant celebrity. It reeked of an overactive ego or, at best, insecurity.

And it sure set the tone for what was to follow. Fourteen years of lack of discretion and getting worse by the year.

He pledged not too long ago that he would step back and quit micro-managing. That didn't last long. Constantly in the limelight.

I don't think that Sarver is a liar. I think that he just can't help himself. He evidently had a successful father and must have been under pressure to keep up.

But it doesn't give him the right to ruin and embarrass our basketball team.

If you don't accept that explanation, fine. And I will try my best to not repeat it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, BC. I thought you might be interested in this bit from an Athletic article:

https://theathletic.com/708864/2018...-asked-but-weve-got-a-point-man-for-the-suns/

But much of McDonough’s staff was dismissed and has not been replaced.

There has been one constant amid the chaos, and that is Sarver, the managing partner of the group that controls the team. Three NBA sources have told The Athletic that some of Sarver’s minority partners are understandably disgruntled about the direction of the team, but the way the partnership is structured leaves little that they can do.

And the “Phoenix Business Journal” reported in 2016 that Sarver had been approached by several groups about buying the team, which was valued that year at $1 billion by “Forbes.” He wasn’t interested.

We believe people within the organization that insist Sarver remains passionate about the Suns and wants the team to win. But his way isn’t working.

A culture of uncertainty, the lack of a cohesive plan, and above all an owner who refuses to hire experienced people and remain out of the way of his basketball operation forms a recipe for lottery land.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey, BC. I thought you might be interested in this bit from an Athletic article:

https://theathletic.com/708864/2018...-asked-but-weve-got-a-point-man-for-the-suns/

How is the Athletic's coverage? I'm tempted to sub but wanted to see what someone who already has it thinks. Is it worth the monthly price, or the annual, based on their NBA coverage? I follow the NFL also but I don't really get into the off the field stuff like with basketball so I'd only be reading about the NBA and MMA, if they cover that.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the Athletic's coverage? I'm tempted to sub but wanted to see what someone who already has it thinks. Is it worth the monthly price, or the annual, based on their NBA coverage? I follow the NFL also but I don't really get into the off the field stuff like with basketball so I'd only be reading about the NBA and MMA, if they cover that.
I've mostly just read their Suns coverage and it's pretty good and pretty frequent. I don't think they cover MMA. I got it for $30 for the year and it's worth at least that for me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Phoenix City Council votes on the $150 million arena renovation project today at 2:30 p.m. The Suns are to kick in $80 million. Needless to say it is an important vote.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

That story pretty much sums it all up... and is very discouraging about the future. As a Suns fan, you can't feel good about the grim forecast.

For almost the entirety of the team's history, the Suns were one of the NBA's most successful franchises, and except for a brief four or so year period in the 1980s, at worst, one of the foremost second tier ones. What is the only thing that has changed over all those decades that we are now the NBA laughing stock?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if Phoenix says no to the renovation, do you want Sarver to move them to Seattle or Las Vegas? And once he did, what team would you follow? I figure it's as close to firing Sarver as we're going to get.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So if Phoenix says no to the renovation, do you want Sarver to move them to Seattle or Las Vegas? And once he did, what team would you follow? I figure it's as close to firing Sarver as we're going to get.
Doesn’t the NBA have to grant permission for an owner to move the team?

Considering how lucrative of a market Phoenix is, I feel confident that the NBA would tell Sarver to sell the team rather than allow him to move it. Especially since there should be quite a few buyers who would purchase the team and keep them here.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It looks like the Phoenix City Council votes on the $150 million arena renovation project today at 2:30 p.m. The Suns are to kick in $80 million. Needless to say it is an important vote.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The city council better not approve this. This is the perfect opportunity to stand up to Sarver.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t the NBA have to grant permission for an owner to move the team?

Considering how lucrative of a market Phoenix is, I feel confident that the NBA would tell Sarver to sell the team rather than allow him to move it. Especially since there should be quite a few buyers who would purchase the team and keep them here.

Yes they do. And I don't really believe he'll move the Suns but supposedly he has let the decision makers know that he will take the franchise to Vegas or Seattle if the arena doesn't get renovated the way they want. I have no idea if it's a legit threat but the possibility is out there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The city council better not approve this. This is the perfect opportunity to stand up to Sarver.

Why? Supposedly it's at the bottom of arenas in the NBA, do you think they should teach Sarver a lesson by giving the NBA a good reason to move out of the Valley?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why? Supposedly it's at the bottom of arenas in the NBA, do you think they should teach Sarver a lesson by giving the NBA a good reason to move out of the Valley?
If he wants to upgrade, he could pony up more of his own cash to do it.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cosign sarver is useless... all he cares bout is selling tickets and now that he isn't he threatens to move franchise to Vegas ... are u fing kidding me

fig vegas sure sarver loves strip clubs and gambling

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the opposite. Sarver could stand to make more money and have better facilities if he decides to move the team. He would likely use the denial of such as a reason to relocate. And then there would be years of rumors of whether the Suns would move or stay. I don't want to go through this.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the opposite. Sarver could stand to make more money and have better facilities if he decides to move the team. He would likely use the denial of such as a reason to relocate. And then there would be years of rumors of whether the Suns would move or stay. I don't want to go through this.
I like the chances of an owner who actually has the money for renovations himself to buy the team and keep them here. The NBA wouldnt allow him to move the team then.

Sarver is “only” worth $400 million. That’s not much by NBA owner standards. Considering how much teams like the Clippers and Rockets have been sold for lately, I’m pretty sure the league would just intervene and have him sell the team over moving them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the chances of an owner who actually has the money for renovations himself to buy the team and keep them here. The NBA wouldnt allow him to move the team then.

Sarver is “only” worth $400 million. That’s not much by NBA owner standards. Considering how much teams like the Clippers and Rockets have been sold for lately, I’m pretty sure the league would just intervene and have him sell the team over moving them.

I don't like rolling the dice and hoping it comes up sevens.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yes. And it's not about teaching Sarver a lesson. It's about FORCING him to actually move so we can eventually get a team worth watching.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i'd be shocked if we approve upgrading an arena that is mostly empty on game nights with no sign of the product being upgraded

why should we pay to put lipstick on a pig?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the article says we should bring in Griffin. was it Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert that Lebron hated or Griffin too?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

the NBA is not at all interested in moving out of the Valley. and certainly not because of the arena

and they're surely not interested in Sarver mucking up a new franchise in Vegas

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05